Tesla Model 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit - the driver and his two kids escaped the car with what were effectively minor injuries!
That is a very safe car.

jonescg said:
Holy shit - the driver and his two kids escaped the car with what were effectively minor injuries!
That is a very safe car.
Yep. Even if teslas caught on fire every bit as often as gas cars (which they don't) - having them start burning sometime _after_ the crash is infinitely preferable for the safety of the passengers.

billvon said:
jonescg said:
That is a very safe car.
Yep. Even if teslas caught on fire every bit as often as gas cars (which they don't) - having them start burning sometime _after_ the crash is infinitely preferable for the safety of the passengers.

+1

Also I have seen peoples houses catch fire.... frock I am not staying in a house ever again.... bahahahahahaha

Arlo1 said:
Also I have seen peoples houses catch fire.... frock I am not staying in a house ever again.... bahahahahahaha
And certainly not a house with an ebike in it!

Um yeah Telsas are just like any other car.
This seems to be making the rounds on Twitter today... It's an entire truck car carrier of Tesla M3s that burned together.
They are taking the burned shells and transporting them to another carrier truck.
https://twitter.com/mattressig/status/1161476954781974533?s=20
EB5lIWAUYAAV20K

TheBeastie said:
This seems to be making the rounds on Twitter today... It's an entire truck car carrier of Tesla M3s that burned together.
Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88srViBuRS4

TheBeastie said:
They are taking the burned shells and transporting them to another carrier truck.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/fire-guts-300-cars-hour-after-surya-kiran-lifted-spirits-with-return/articleshow/68131212.cms

Edit is Fixed: "I did not write that ;)"

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/09/tesla-to-take-on-taycans-track-time-at-the-nurburgring/?amp=1

Arse handed this ain't no 0-60 one trick pony track shows to me he really ain't thought this one through the Porsche doesn't need the range or of the mark pace 3/4 of the track is at high speed so sorry elon Porsche just baited you gonna make their car look superior in a true drivers hands theres no self parking or no hands driving tricks gonna save you on this one.

Ianhill said:
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/09/tesla-to-take-on-taycans-track-time-at-the-nurburgring/?amp=1

Arse handed this ain't no 0-60 one trick pony track shows to me he really ain't thought this one through the Porsche doesn't need the range or of the mark pace 3/4 of the track is at high speed so sorry elon Porsche just baited you gonna make their car look superior in a true drivers hands theres no self parking or no hands driving tricks gonna save you on this one.

Or not.

My money is on the Model S

Arlo1 said:
Ianhill said:

Or not.

My money is on the Model S

If the track was not so long and high speed i'd have to agree but this one will be interesting for sure i think the tesla will make a break for it then slowly lose the lead as the track opens up.

The Porsche has done a 7.46 from what i can find that's around a gt3 cars time so the tesla has its work cut out the new adaptive dampers will be putting that ultra strong cabin through it's paces on the green hell.

Knowing the results of previous attempts , suggests Tesla will have to make some significant changes if they want to be competitive at all. And likely it will be a very unique “Black ops’ special S” that appears
Obviously they can disable the battery , motor, and electronic thermal protections, and likely increase various other performance limitations, but so much of the ‘Ring is all about handling and driver experience, Musk had better be sure he finds the right driver to make the most of a key promotional opportunity.

From what I understand there's no private track times booked this side of 2020 for tesla so what ever they are trying it's going to be on a open track, more than likely going for AI on a race track or even a duration experiment my bets are they don't want to tackle that lap time just yet.

Don't think Elon has a problem finding a "decent" driver :lol:

Formula 1 Champion Nico Rosberg Offers To Drive The Tesla Model S Nürburgring Lap – Musk Accepts!

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/09/08/formula-1-champion-nico-rosberg-offers-to-drive-the-tesla-model-s-nurburgring-lap-musk-accepts/

These track test comparisons are interesting for sure, but they do not mean much unless thy are conducted by reputable independent, unbiased, testers (R &T, C & D, Motor, etc etc) and using “showroom” spec vehicles ( with safety additions), and the same driver
Otherwise , the result is simply proportional to the amount of money and resource the manufacturers throw at the attempt.

Hillhater said:
These track test comparisons are interesting for sure, but they do not mean much unless thy are conducted by reputable independent, unbiased, testers (R &T, C & D, Motor, etc etc) and using “showroom” spec vehicles ( with safety additions), and the same driver
Otherwise , the result is simply proportional to the amount of money and resource the manufacturers throw at the attempt.

If Tesla can make the Model s turn an ineradicable lap time that's all that matters. As even if it is future tech.. It will end up in production cars in time.
As for turning off the thermal cut backs good luck. The model s would be on fire by the end of the lap.
You don't get anymore power by letting them run hotter.

You also don't get any more power by cooling them. But they will last a bit longer ;)

Arlo1 said:
If Tesla can make the Model s turn an ineradicable lap time that's all that matters. As even if it is future tech.. It will end up in production cars in time.
Ineradicable by what ?.. another EV ? ..or any car ?
(EV record is currently 6.05 by Volkswagens IDR)

As for turning off the thermal cut backs good luck. The model s would be on fire by the end of the lap.
You don't get anymore power by letting them run hotter.
No , but it may make the difference between a full lap at speed and just missing out.
But obviously if the drive train cannot make even half a lap before being heat limited, then it wont be much help.
Im sure Tesla would happily melt a motor or even a pack if it gets the required result.
...( as long as it doesnt end in a fireball ! :eek: )

If you want a hot lap at any cost you want a warm/hot over-charged battery, a cold-as-possible motor, pull out all the stops in the controller and maybe bypass the main pack fuse :lol:

Oh, and warmed (road legal) slicks and probably disable/loosen regen limits.

It's tourist season at the track no hotlapping is allowed not even nico Rosenberg, there's something else going on there but why have a race driver beats me.

Punx0r said:
If you want a hot lap at any cost you want a warm/hot over-charged battery, a cold-as-possible motor, pull out all the stops in the controller and maybe bypass the main pack fuse :lol:

Oh, and warmed (road legal) slicks and probably disable/loosen regen limits.

Most of this is done with software and is already in the car at least its all in the 3 at this point with track mode.
But with the new motors in the model s it should be better. The cells are not that great but they might have a skunkworks version with the new cell tech, new duel rear motor, and what not.

There is a lot of exciting things coming down the pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back