My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Marmalade said:
cscscs said:
And the 3 pawl clutch/freehubs....you should have seen the state of the ones that were/replaced, def not made to cope with 1kw. Weakest parts of the whole bike imo and prone to eventual failure if used carelessly above eco3.

No question - the freewheel is the weak link. Freewheel failure has nothing to do with the assist level or the power of the motor, however, as the freewheel is only subjected to the forces applied to the pedals. If anything, higher assist levels might even mitigate the situation by reducing the force (as torque) required to move the works.

cscscs said:
...When it was new it was a bit louder than I had expected and I read about the grease issue so cracked it open to have a look and it was definitely lacking grease. I got some Mobilgrease 28 which is supposed to cling to the gears better...

i am really sorry for your problems...this must be frustrating...

regarding the grease i saw a lot of guys using Mobilgrease 28 for the BBSHD/BBS02 etc. they put as much in it as possible and it seems to be ok. bafang ultra motor has no nylon gear (not the newer versions) - instead of it has massive steel gears and more room/space inside -in comparison to BBSxx. i also ordered mobilgrease 28 from the US (hard to get here in Europe). from my point of view it is a little too "liquid" than expected (NLGI 1 or 1.5 i would say, this might be an advantage for smaller BBSxx with less room/space inside so there is less friction and motor completely filled with mobilgrease has no problems ). i compared the original grease from Bafang with Mobilgrease 28 and Liqui Moly LM47 (might be equal to any black moly grease, to be honest i compared the Bafang grease with even more greases even with some NLGI3 used by BMW). Mobilgrease 28 has a little different consistency and feel. Bafang original grease and Liqui Moli LM47 - i could not distingiush them. i guess, but only guess, Bafang simply uses a kind of black moly grease. but of course i know my "look&feel" comparison was not scientific at all.
after greasing my motor i had to open it again for the shunt mod several weeks later. and i saw what i wanted to see: a solid film of grease at all gears - no damaged gears. but perhaps the same result might have been with mobilgrease 28. apart from obviously absolutely unsuitable greases the most important thing might be: there is enough grease - no matter which grease :D

Mobilith SHC 100 is better than Mobil 28 and more readily available (Mobil28 is essentially obsolete).

It works beautifully in the Ultra motor, and will work anywhere you use lithium-synthetic grease for higher speed applications, excellent in the bearings and gears alike... Will not harm nylon or composites, pretty much a perfect all-rounder, a true supreme-performance grease.

Bafangs black moly/lithium grease on the other hand, is bottom shelf trash, often drying up and exhibiting mild corrosion on the ferrous parts... Get that junk out of there ASAP if you want performance and reliability (I spent an hour getting every last trace of it out!)

Note on Ultra motor removal for service: It's quite a bit easier to do it upside down! The wires are easier to handle this way. I still remove the spider etc while right way up, though.

Deafcat said:
Mobilith SHC 100 is better than Mobil 28 and more readily available (Mobil28 is essentially obsolete).

It works beautifully in the Ultra motor, and will work anywhere you use lithium-synthetic grease for higher speed applications, excellent in the bearings and gears alike... Will not harm nylon or composites, pretty much a perfect all-rounder, a true supreme-performance grease.

Bafangs black moly/lithium grease on the other hand, is bottom shelf trash, often drying up and exhibiting mild corrosion on the ferrous parts... Get that junk out of there ASAP if you want performance and reliability (I spent an hour getting every last trace of it out!)

Note on Ultra motor removal for service: It's quite a bit easier to do it upside down! The wires are easier to handle this way. I still remove the spider etc while right way up, though.

cool tip… i already read a lot about Mobilith SHC 100. i will order it to complete my grease collection :thumb:

yeah, the motor reassembly. first time it took 3-4 hours. i have the additional problem that i also route rear brake line hose through the motor housing, i have an additional cable for my GPS tracker directly connected to the battery cable and a self made connection from the controller cable (5V+/ground/motor off) to the rear brake pressure sensor and my gearsensor incl. Higo plug. the gps tracker itself is mounted at the inner plastic motor cover. the backup GPS-battery 1000mAh lipo (in case of stolen battery, charged by the main battery) is between plastic cover/gps tracker and motor (but gps tracker and backup battery i can mount after mounting the motor). anyways i would say i have a little more cables than normal :shock: ... a lot of cables. the final trick was to bent all the controller cables and my addtional cables/plug into the space between the last two mounting holes (yellow in the picture) - perhaps the solution was so easy that i did not find it for around 3 hours :lol: . this is the only "large" place/space available even after mounting the motor. with that method it was smooth like butter. last reassembly took 15 minutes, GPS tracker/plastic cover included.

Attachments

• g510.JPG
    g510.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 2,561
cscscs said:
No question - the freewheel is the weak link. Freewheel failure has nothing to do with the assist level or the power of the motor, however, as the freewheel is only subjected to the forces applied to the pedals. If anything, higher assist levels might even mitigate the situation by reducing the force (as torque) required to move the works.

Marmalade said:
cscscs said:

My bike has suffered damage to both parts and I would be proud if my legs could take credit for stripping teeth from hardened steel gears :)

hub1 (1).jpg

bike (2).jpg

The post was specifically referring to the freewheel in the motor, which is definitely only subjected to the forces applied to the pedals. The freewheel in the rear hub as well as the drivetrain (chainring, chain, cassette) are all subjected to the sum of the output of the motor and the pedals; these are two different scenarios. Conversely, what is common to both scenarios is a high concentration of forces at each point of engagement, which is why high POE is particularly desirable for an ebike.

Got it assembled and she's beautiful. Gotta adjust things to my positioning/etc. I also like a lever throttle, so I'll be swapping that out. I got the display settings where I like them I believe.

But I have no throttle or pedal assist. Mph shows up and I know things work as the walk assist feature works, but no throttle or pedal assist.

I think I read somewhere in here that I just need to change a setting hooked up to my pc real quick? Or is there another setting I need to change? I kinda at least wanted to feel the stock settings before I go changing things up.

So anyway - I'm not worried or anything, but - what's the deal? 🤷‍♂️😀

There are actually two one-way clutches in the Ultra motor, a three-pawl freewheel for pedal input, and a one-way roller clutch or sprag clutch for the chainring output shaft. I've heard of that output clutch wearing or failing due to too large of a chainring and bad riding (too high of momentary torque loads), failure of the pedal freewheel only possible from too much pedal load as mentioned.

I've yet to damage either of them, though I'd like to replace the pedal freewheel with a sprag roller clutch to get rid of the noise... Onyx hubs on the bike so the only freewheel noise comes from motor. Maybe something I will re-engineer on next disassembly, worth it to have the parts drawn up anyway for community reference.

NoFanBoiz said:
International buyers: have you all purchased via alibaba?

Weird stats trivia -

According to the 'Transactions' tab on the alibaba listings for the AM1000 low end config bike [https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Top-quality-mountain-ebikes-with-Bafang_60727953227.html], there have been 3 transactions over the last 11 months,
and 1 transaction for the high end bike [https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Top-end-Bafang-Mid-Drive-Bafang_60681109431.html].

I purchased the high end about 2 months ago via alibaba

Stanleybb50 said:
But I have no throttle or pedal assist. Mph shows up and I know things work as the walk assist feature works, but no throttle or pedal assist.

mmhhh...
perhaps one reason could be that your speed sensor does not work correctly. in that case throttle/pedal assist is (almost) deactivated. is your magnet at the right position ? does your display show up correct speed or any higher speed than "0 Mph" (just pedaling with human power) ?

barbarossa said:
Stanleybb50 said:

mmhhh...
perhaps one reason could be that your speed sensor does not work correctly. in that case throttle/pedal assist is (almost) deactivated. is your magnet at the right position ? does your display show up correct speed or any higher speed than "0 Mph" (just pedaling with human power) ?

Yes - speed sensor is working and mph is being reflected. 🤔

Stanleybb50 said:
barbarossa said:
Stanleybb50 said:

mmhhh...

Yes - speed sensor is working and mph is being reflected. 🤔

Ok next checks:
1) disconnect all motor cutoffs: rear & front brake & gearsensor…
2) are there any error codes ? using the error code page of the display in service menu

might sound stupid, but does it not do anything in higher assist levels as well? If no, then most likely a cut-off feature that stops the motor from engaging.

*****USER ERROR. I'M AN IDIOT******

I'm so used to the BBSHD when the bike is on a rack for adjusting that I failed to realize that there was no real pressure on the pedals when I turned them... And the throttle doesn't work like the BBSHD either (won't allow to start from a standstill apparently?)

Anyway - I feel like a moron. It's me and ALLLL me. They had everything hooked up perfect from Frey. Haha - at least I said I wasn't worried - right? Haha

I loaded the Karl's Special Sauce before I gave it a real rest ride... My theory wad that flashing would fix what "wasn't wrong". Haha. So when the Karl's seemingly didn't work either, that's when I decided to test it out outdide. Lol. So now my only experience is Karl's with all his settings from his page with the only change of the 30amp setting. So now I gotta flash back to stock and try that out. Haha.

I'm amazed at the experience and how natural the assist feels! Amazing.

Thanks for the help! I'm an idiot! 😅😂🤣

😥

jeron said:
The throttle should work from standstill

I swapped back to stock and back to Karl's (much more natural btw) and still nothing from a standstill. But I really don't care. If I give it even 1/8 of a pedal rotation, then the throttle is available in full.

I mean if you have the solution to it, I'll apply, but I won't lose a wink of sleep over it.

Bike is awesome. No regrets. 👍

Ordered a AM1000 matt black without decals Full spec, would like to do a flashy wrapping job on it.
Spec list:
Gear sensor
Lights
48V 21Ah - rather have more range then the contuous power feel of the 52V 17.5Ah
Some derailleur hangers
Extra charger
Lyric front fork
SRAM EX-1 groupset

Apparently they dont have the Lyric fork & the EX-1 groupset in stock and it can be up to 80 days total befor they can ship.
Start the waiting game...

Ordered the Spider tool to open up the G510 motor, to regrease it from the first day.

Can some of you guys give a update on the wear of the EX-1 groupset?
For the price I couldnt resist buying it.

Hopefully it is worth it over the M8000. :roll:

How is the noise of this motor?
In comparison with bbs02?
In comparison with Bosch?

Thank you

jeron said:

I have recently received 2 AM 1000 and 1 FAT 1000 2.0. All 3 had no throttle UNTIL pedals were turned. No throttle from stop. Frey explained this is the new standard so as to protect the motor / battery and group set.

For the two AM bikes, I left this feature alone as they were going to friends that are new to Ebiking. I figured it WOULD help protect things and since they were newbies they would not miss this lack of throttle from dead stop.

For the FAT 1000 2.0 which was for me, I wanted start from stop feature! Frey sent me a file and I reprogrammed the unit to give me throttle from stop.

Please note for this reprogramming to work you must have the programming cable plugged into your laptop, but do not plug in the green connector to the Ultra until AFTER you have run the software and clicked then upgrade key in the software. ONLY then do you plug in the green connector and the firmware update begins. It fails if you plug it in before you run the update.

Worked perfectly when done as described and gave me back throttle from stop feature.

Tjeska said:
Ordered a AM1000 matt black without decals Full spec, would like to do a flashy wrapping job on it.
Spec list:
Gear sensor
Lights
48V 21Ah - rather have more range then the contuous power feel of the 52V 17.5Ah
Some derailleur hangers
Extra charger
Lyric front fork
SRAM EX-1 groupset

Apparently they dont have the Lyric fork & the EX-1 groupset in stock and it can be up to 80 days total befor they can ship.

Ordered the Spider tool to open up the G510 motor, to regrease it from the first day.

I have an FLX and Frey AM 1000 with the EX1 group set and one HT1000 that I built from a frame I purchased. This one runs at 60 volts and for 4 months while awaiting my Rohloff hub, I put almost 1000 miles on the stock wheels with the Shimano M6000. I was surprised but I had absolutely no issues with the Shimano system. I EXPECTED to have problems! Not one problem and I beat the SH#$ put of it. This week the Rohloff is getting installed....I would save the money and go with the stock Shimano package. then once you receive the bike upgrade it to Rohloff! :mrgreen:

jeron said:

I have a recent Frey HT1000 with the Ultra and my throttle doesn't work unless its moving either (don't have to be pedalling, just registering a speed). Checked all the settings using the config application from the PC against my BBS02 settings (apart from torque page) and seem the same, maybe a restriction because of the power??

garyal1 said:
I would save the money and go with the stock Shimano package. then once you receive the bike upgrade it to Rohloff! :mrgreen:

It was a 248 USD option, fairly cheap if you look how much the set costs here.

Isn't the Rohloff crazy expensive compared to that?

robwalley1963 said:
jeron said:

I have a recent Frey HT1000 with the Ultra and my throttle doesn't work unless its moving either (don't have to be pedalling, just registering a speed). Checked all the settings using the config application from the PC against my BBS02 settings (apart from torque page) and seem the same, maybe a restriction because of the power??

My AM1000 is 1month old and i have full power on the throttle from a standstill.. we can compare settings from the Bafang software?

garyal1 said:
This week the Rohloff is getting installed....I would save the money and go with the stock Shimano package. then once you receive the bike upgrade it to Rohloff! :mrgreen:

Keep us posted! my next upgrade is also a Rohloff.

Tjeska said:
garyal1 said:
I would save the money and go with the stock Shimano package. then once you receive the bike upgrade it to Rohloff! :mrgreen:

It was a 248 USD option, fairly cheap if you look how much the set costs here.

Isn't the Rohloff crazy expensive compared to that?

my am has been running the ex1 groupset for over 2000 miles, replaced the smaller 3 cogs with one of those sets for 20 bucks.

garyal1 said:
Tjeska said:
Spec list:
Gear sensor
Lights
Some derailleur hangers
Extra charger
Lyric front fork
SRAM EX-1 groupset

I have an FLX and Frey AM 1000 with the EX1 group set and one HT1000 that I built from a frame I purchased. This one runs at 60 volts and for 4 months while awaiting my Rohloff hub, I put almost 1000 miles on the stock wheels with the Shimano M6000. I was surprised but I had absolutely no issues with the Shimano system. I EXPECTED to have problems! Not one problem and I beat the SH#$ put of it. This week the Rohloff is getting installed....I would save the money and go with the stock Shimano package. then once you receive the bike upgrade it to Rohloff! :mrgreen:

Very interested in the Rohloff retrofit - can you post pictures of it installed; any issues with the installation? Did you get a wheel with the R installed or lace it yourself?

Back