Nishi 18650 pack building kit

spinningmagnets said:
The V2 Vruzend sold by Micah Toll in the USA seems to have many satisfied customers at 10A peak per cell...I would huimbly suggest ta\that the contacts in the Nishi kit can handle more amps, such as the 15A 30Q cell, and the 20A 25R and HB2 cells...

Vruzend V2 does 20A peak per cell. So does the new v2.1 with the barrel bolts like here https://youtu.be/rylbFnTgFI8

Looks like I can add fuses way more easily by using the threaded posts.

BTW this is the split partner from early Vruzend.

The barrel bolts are a good improvement.

I'd want to do a flat plate each side so the compression force (measured with a torque wrench) is evenly distributed in line with all the batteries' axes and less stress on the endcap interconnections.

So the problem with this type of pack building is using high current? If so would it work better for a larger battery, for distance. Lower amp draw per cell but more total watts?

Currently my trike has two 72V 25ah battery packs. Have been swapping them but want to mount them both when a proper batter box is made and mounted. I know at some point they will need to taken apart and bad cells removed or replaced. I would like something that I would not need to arch weld. I was a certified welder and your only good if you put in the time learning to do it right. One or two battery packs would not make it worth while for all the equipment and mistakes. So this is appealing from that perspective.

ZeroEm said:
So the problem with this type of pack building is using high current? If so would it work better for a larger battery, for distance. Lower amp draw per cell but more total watts?
The chemistry determines voltage per cell. So fewer but larger cells increases current per cell not decreases.

Also means physically larger, which means completely different pack construction and wiring methods.

These kits seem to be for one size only, usually 18650, although their design principles could be upsized for 26650 or other cylindricals.

Once you get past 15-20Ah cells choices are pouches and the hard-shell prismatics, which use ring terminals crimped to heavier AWG wire.

"So, the problem with this type of pack building is using high current?"

I haven't measured the heat of the Vruzend series bus-connectors (parallel connections see very little current). For high capacity, there are several models of 18650 that provide 10A per cell, at 3400-mAh each (approximately).

If you build a pack using 5P, then it should be able to easily provide 50A. There is a huge global market for packs in this range.

The latest version may be capable of much higher currents, but I haven't seen the resulting heat numbers...

spinningmagnets said:
I am happy to see Micah improving these kits. The barrel bolts look to be a definite upgrade. Good video, too. I will add it to the article...
Thank you! It's great being able to link n00bs to accurate information!

spinningmagnets said:
I decided to re-orient the cell configuration, which required me to disassemble and relocate one of the cells. Turned out to be fairly easy to pull apart. I'm happy with it so far and I wish there was a US dealer.
Both Vruzend and Nishi are supplied by IndiaMart ... https://my.indiamart.com/ ... US warehouse for Vruzend is in Fort Myers, FL. Believe Nishi shares some parts with Vruzend like battery terminal / pole caps.

Like certain things about both kits, especially copper springs with the Nishi kit. Ordered the V1.6 (instead of V2.1) mainly because it's a few dollars less, comes with more pieces and 12 compression bolts for my 10S3P 36V pack (winter project). Haven't decided yet whether to order the Sanyo GA or Samsung 30q (may have to flip a coin). Both are same price at IMR in the quantity i'll order.

The Vruzend V2.1 kit is the way to go, but for my riding and experimenting (will draw only 2-4 amps/cell) the V1.6 will suffice. Am an easy going senior citizen on my all black Liberty Trike ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fs_KTzlPkc ... free shipping to front door and quickly assembled without a wrench (and i'm a motorhead). The Kenda Trike is for younger dudes. Have gotten a lot of head turns and comments from kids ("that's really cool") when going 12-13mph in a bike lane or paved trail (for a few seconds to show-off).

Nishi, disgruntled former partner from Vruzend. Still haven't caught up to quality of Vruzend.

spinningmagnets said:
I have a Nishi kit and also a Vruzend V2 (*I needed them for the pictures in the article). I found the quality of both to be good.
Purchased both and comparedV2.1?

I'm not selling Nishi kits, or Vruzend. I have no axe to grind. You can ask Micah for verification that I've owned every Vruzend version if you like.

I'm un-impressed by the high price and poor customer service from Nishi, but I liked the product. I'm curious about the quality deficiencies you found in the Nishi kit you sampled, but...if the Vruzend kit works well for your project, the details are not important...

I only have good things to say about Micahs efforts. He is doing a good job. The V2 system addressed all of the concerns that early adopters expressed about the earlier styles.

After I sampled all the Vruzend versions, I gave the kits away for postage, as I stated in the Vruzend thread. I had a V2 kit before they were available to the general public, and it is nicely done.

spinningmagnets said:
I'm un-impressed by the high price and poor customer service from Nishi, but I liked the product.

Thank you. The response I was looking for. But took chiding to extract. I also bought and gifted Vruzend products. Stellar fellows!

I bought Vruzend V2.1 and built a pack in use on a new build. Generally very happy. Been meaning to write a review, but haven't had a chance yet.

spinningmagnets said:

Does anybody know the size of the barrel connections. I have access to one of their 1.5 kits but i find this product to be not worth using if i don't have the barrel bolts, and it doesn't seem like they sell just that.

elhnad said:
Does anybody know the size of the barrel connections. I have access to one of their 1.5 kits but i find this product to be not worth using if i don't have the barrel bolts, and it doesn't seem like they sell just that.
Besides the 12 compression barrel bolts that came with my $35 V1.6 kit (enough pieces to make a 10S5P pack. Also purchased 8 more (2/pkg) #10-24x3-1/2" Everbilt round head machine bolts at HD ... https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/8b52bec5-9524-43eb-8f98-0d9ac5952bae/svn/everbilt-machine-screws-803261-64_1000.jpg ... comes with 2 nuts. Probably wasn't necessary, but i sometimes tend to overdo a project being a perfectionist of sorts :wink:

In order to be just long enough to start nut on other side used my drill press and disc grinder to reduce the head diameter so bolt head fits down into the recessed hole opening. Then it's just long enough to attach nut and tighten. HD also stocks a 2/pkg #10-24x4" length which should be long enuf should i decide to make an enclosure with clear acrylic pane over top and bottom ... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plaskolite-8-in-x-10-in-x-0-050-in-Non-Glare-Acrylic-Sheet-1X09241A/301109740

Only using the stainless busbars for Parallel connections. All 5 strings of the Series connections are custom copper busbars from 1/4" tubing ... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-O-D-x-10-ft-Soft-Copper-Refrigeration-Coil-Tubing-1-4-R-10RE/203654086 ... The shop's big machine vise was a must to flatten the pieces which i had previously cut to length with my tube cutter. After flattened used drill press for end holes. Tried to upload photo, but no go. May try again if i can figure out how it's done ... was able to open file with photo, but couldn't upload :idea:

eMark said:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-O-D-x-10-ft-Soft-Copper-Refrigeration-Coil-Tubing-1-4-R-10RE/203654086 ... The shop's big machine vise was a must to flatten the pieces which i had previously cut to length with my tube cutter.

I've seen this method, too. so ur saying homedepot's vise did this or another shop ur referring too

elhnad said:
eMark said:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-O-D-x-10-ft-Soft-Copper-Refrigeration-Coil-Tubing-1-4-R-10RE/203654086 ... The shop's big machine vise was a must to flatten the pieces which i had previously cut to length with my tube cutter.

I've seen this method, too. so ur saying homedepot's vise did this or another shop ur referring too
It's a nearby shop that i have access to borrow or use the tools like the big vise that's bolted to the work bench. It's almost too labor intensive and putzy, but i'm retired so it keeps me moving and helps pass the winter time blues.

Back