TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

thineight said:
Hello buba, thanks for your continuous development on the last week's. :thumb:
Sorry not being an active tester lately but with three small kids the spare time is nearly zero and I've to carefully select my cartridges to shoot :lol: :lol:

Hey Thineight! Totally understandable! Those little ones are truly warping time and also making it disappear into thin air! :wink:

Thank you! :)

thineight said:
Anyway I waited the alpha6 which I installed tonight: as expected all the setup had to be performed with the wiki beside, and everything went well.
After a garage test, not representative for real feelings, I realized that I hear a metal clicking sound from the motor when I press the brakes (I've the cut-off installed). I am sure that with the 0.19 that issue wasn't there.

To reproduce it you have to start pedaling to engage the motor, and while it turns you brake --> the motor stops turning and at the same time you hear the "click".
The higher the motor power in place, the noiser the click.

Solved! Have not tested but it was pretty obvious what it was. There will be an Alpha 7 for users that want to update! Thanks to you, Thineight!

vadda said:
buba said:
Okay, thank you! Hmm... So your measurement on the display is off by around 0.8 %. I am not sure what it can be. Maybe related to the TSDZ2 hardware and caused by the riding weather, location, environment, etc. But I can not confirm this as more users need to validate the measurements. I do not think this will help but if you want to you are free to update to the A6 as it will be a little better with the filtering.

I am sorry, Vadda. I will try to find a cause to the discrepancy between our measurements and why you and another user have slightly lower voltage readings. But for now I actually have no solution because it shows these values on my bike:

Battery: 54.5
Display: 54.4

Ok, installed A6, all work great.
DIfference of 0.4V in voltage remains , but i think probably it's an hardware issue because on bikeof my friend (now with A6) the difference remains 0.2V.
I dont know if it's useful to provide the possibility of "tune" the reading with a sort of offset defined.

Great, Vadda!

Very good that you have solved and confirmed why there is a discrepancy! :)

I think the measurement will improve in the future when I or someone else improves the FOC. It is from there we get the voltage reading. I have an implementation in mind that will maybe help solve the voltage discrepancy slightly. And by improving the FOC it can possibly even make the motor run more efficient with more torque.

vadda said:
Another things, just for report, now with "weight on pedal" reading:
my bike read from 0 to 62Kg
the bike of my friend read only from 0 to 31Kg

Casainho is planning to do a lot with the torque sensor calibration so look for that in the coming versions!

mctubster said:
vadda said:
Ok, installed A6, all work great.
DIfference of 0.4V in voltage remains , but i think probably it's an hardware issue because on bikeof my friend (now with A6) the difference remains 0.2V.
I dont know if it's useful to provide the possibility of "tune" the reading with a sort of offset defined.

Another things, just for report, now with "weight on pedal" reading:
my bike read from 0 to 62Kg
the bike of my friend read only from 0 to 31Kg

I just checked mine running A5, display shows 39.2-39.4, multimeter shows 39.3.

Nice to see more data from users! That seems to be perfect!

mctubster said:
Interestingly if the lighting circuit is on the voltage jumps around 39.2-39.4, if the lights are off it is more stable 39.2 most of the time.
Some noise being injected? Anyway perhaps there is more smoothing in A6, will try this afternoon.

Please do try the A6 or A7 and it should be much better.

Optional Alpha 7 is released! No big changes and no need to update unless you want! There is one small bug fix!

------------------------

Here is the wiki (work in progress):
https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/0.20.0-(DEVELOPMENT)-%7C-KT-LCD3-%7C-TSDZ2-%7C-Manual

------------------------

Here is my Google Drive folder with the Alpha 7:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CPGT-V1ZX7FCzfhgbrPMYfbYtY4_JH2R

------------------------

Here is my branch where you can see the source code and latest changes:
https://github.com/leon927/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike/tree/testing-pwm-acc

------------------------

Here are the changes from Alpha 6:
- Increased filtering on the battery power value by 3 %
- Solved bug that caused a click sound when enabling the brakes (Thanks to user Thineight)

------------------------

Comment:
No need to update unless you really want the latest changes or if you were affected by the click sound when enabling the brakes. The click sound was present when the motor was rotating and as soon as the brakes were applied.

buba said:
[...]
Here is a generic example:

1. The target current is set to targetCurrent

2. Min limit is set to minTemperature

3. Max limit is set to maxTemperature

The delta current, i.e. the difference between the lowest current and the targetCurrent, is targetCurrent - 0 = targetCurrent. The delta temperature, i.e. the difference between the lowest and highest temperature, is maxTemperature - minTemperature.

This means that for every step above minTemperature, the targetCurrent will be limited by targetCurrent / (maxTemperature - minTemperature).

---------------------------------

Final word:

As with many things you do not need to calculate anything. Just set the limits you feel are safe and should work, try it out and change if something is not working to your satisfaction.
Wow! Thats a really detailed execution, thanks. Now i understand this simple and grandiose logic. I thought too complicated.

To your final words: yes as enduser i like things easy and dont want too calculate many things. But i need always a basic understanding which effect has a option. Otherwise i dont know which setting I want to configure :?: .

Meanwhile i have try it with min=50 and max=90. And yes the motor dont stop after around 100m uphill :D. But i dont feel a slightly decrease in the performance. It was more in significant steps, like:

The first 2 Minutes 100 % power (=500W), 1 minutes after 80 %, 1 minutes after 50 %, 1 minutes after 20 % but this stable. Always in hard steps.

But please dont care about that, i use the 0.19 port from marcoq and this is only subjectively. Because of the limitation on the vlcd5 i cant see how high is the temperature and the power. At the moment it's okay for me and i want to change someday to the sw102, but i need offroad mode because in my country it's okay when i drive with 270km/h with my car on the highway, but its illegal to drive more than 25kmh or 250W with a ebike.. :roll: :cry: .

buba said:
Optional Alpha 7 is released! No big changes and no need to update unless you want! There is one small bug fix!

No need to update unless you really want the latest changes or if you were affected by the click sound when enabling the brakes. The click sound was present when the motor was rotating and as soon as the brakes were applied.

Hi Buba I am on a train to the start point of a 70 mile ride and it is very hilly. My ebrake is only the rear which of course is rarely used but some of the descents will need it. I read this at breakfast and sure enough I have the click but because I rarely use the rear brake I did not notice it last night and there was no time to load A7. Will the click damage the motor or am I OK to use the brake on the steep descents?

Cheers

Thanks buba for the night-time update :thumb:
I flashed and quickly tried and the click is gone, it looks perfect.

For my curiosity: what was that click? I figured out something like the drive shaft was quickly stopping and "hitting" the back of the teeth of the other gear with the clutch, is that correct?

I will of course test more carefully the global behaviour and report if something is strange.

Thanks a lot again :thumb:

Rafe said:
buba said:

Hi Buba I am on a train to the start point of a 70 mile ride and it is very hilly. My ebrake is only the rear which of course is rarely used but some of the descents will need it. I read this at breakfast and sure enough I have the click but because I rarely use the rear brake I did not notice it last night and there was no time to load A7. Will the click damage the motor or am I OK to use the brake on the steep descents?

Cheers

Sorry for the late reply!

Absolutely fine to brake as either way you usually do not go full speed with the motor and then immediately brake. The click sound is most probably a mechanical spike due to the motor stopping very quickly. Motor will not get damaged.

But either way it is good to remove any sudden changes as it makes the experience smoother and usually improves the longevity in the drive train. The 0.20.0 is designed from ground up to increase the life span of all components but at the same time give maximum performance.

There are no problems with actually braking all the time. It s mostly when the motor is running and you brake that the mechanical spike can happen. If you want to be super careful you only need to avoid those situations but usually you stop pedaling before braking so just enjoy the ride! :)

Cheers!

thineight said:
Thanks buba for the night-time update :thumb:
I flashed and quickly tried and the click is gone, it looks perfect.

For my curiosity: what was that click? I figured out something like the drive shaft was quickly stopping and "hitting" the back of the teeth of the other gear with the clutch, is that correct?

I will of course test more carefully the global behaviour and report if something is strange.

Thanks a lot again :thumb:

Thanks to your very clear explanation and the obvious line of code it was a given fix!

I can not know for sure as I need to hear the click but your theory is pretty much spot on. When braking the system responded within 100 ms and cut all power. Now it will take around 200 ms with a ramp down included. But that is basically from full power to a complete stop so not really noticeable and is still insanely fast.

The fix removes the spike and in the perspective of the controller and motor it is a lifetime of time to slow down.

Please do let me know if you find anything! And thank you!

bingo5 said:
buba said:
[...]
Here is a generic example:

1. The target current is set to targetCurrent

2. Min limit is set to minTemperature

3. Max limit is set to maxTemperature

The delta current, i.e. the difference between the lowest current and the targetCurrent, is targetCurrent - 0 = targetCurrent. The delta temperature, i.e. the difference between the lowest and highest temperature, is maxTemperature - minTemperature.

This means that for every step above minTemperature, the targetCurrent will be limited by targetCurrent / (maxTemperature - minTemperature).

---------------------------------

Final word:

As with many things you do not need to calculate anything. Just set the limits you feel are safe and should work, try it out and change if something is not working to your satisfaction.

Wow! Thats a really detailed execution, thanks. Now i understand this simple and grandiose logic. I thought too complicated.

I hope it helped! :)

bingo5 said:
To your final words: yes as enduser i like things easy and dont want too calculate many things. But i need always a basic understanding which effect has a option. Otherwise i dont know which setting I want to configure :?: .

You are right!

bingo5 said:
Meanwhile i have try it with min=50 and max=90. And yes the motor dont stop after around 100m uphill :D. But i dont feel a slightly decrease in the performance. It was more in significant steps, like:

The first 2 Minutes 100 % power (=500W), 1 minutes after 80 %, 1 minutes after 50 %, 1 minutes after 20 % but this stable. Always in hard steps.

That is because the resolution is so coarse in the previous versions. The current has only a few steps and then it is completely limited as you note.

The 0.19.0 has around 17 steps to 500 W and around 30 steps in total. The 0.20.0 has 66 steps to 500 W, 120 steps total. So you will feel a more gradual decreasing of current. No more hard steps and smoother rides.

bingo5 said:
But please dont care about that, i use the 0.19 port from marcoq and this is only subjectively. Because of the limitation on the vlcd5 i cant see how high is the temperature and the power. At the moment it's okay for me and i want to change someday to the sw102, but i need offroad mode because in my country it's okay when i drive with 270km/h with my car on the highway, but its illegal to drive more than 25kmh or 250W with a ebike.. :roll: :cry: .

I do care! I hope Marcoq thinks the 0.20.0 is good enough so that he makes a version so you could try it out!

Haha! I understand your frustration! :wink:

Hi,

I have the 6 wire Tongsheng TSDZ2 with the KLCD 5 screen, and I succesfully installed the version 19 software, had a pedal around and everything was feeling great.

The next day, I turned it on and the speed sensor was going crazy - just basically giving out random numbers. The motor also wasn't running (I assume as a result of this). I guessed this was a faulty connection with the speed sensor but after checking this connection thoroughly I'm happy that it isn't this, so I tried reinstalling the software a couple of times, and I haven't got back to the place where it's working! The weird thing is that the other sensors seem to be being read correctly (checked through section 9 of the main screen). Does anyone have a wiring scheme for the 3 wire speed sensor to the motor so I can rule out hardware? I need it based on wire colours not pins - I broke my original plugs during the install because I'm a terrible solderer!

I initially had the problem with the software flashing where it says something about address not in range (and also warns of lots of bits of memory not being read while reading the TSDZ2 hex file in). It sounds a bit like the problem hego was having?

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, any solutions out there?

I'm going to reflash the original controller for now and go back to the old screen but I'd really like to get this working as it felt great during my one test ride!

At the moment I'm cutting wires and soldering as I broke the plugs during the original install so each trial takes quite a while, but I've ordered some new 6 pin plugs so hopefully I can get back to playing with it once they turn up.

Thanks,

Pete

xlxc34 said:
Hi,

I have the 6 wire Tongsheng TSDZ2 with the KLCD 5 screen, and I succesfully installed the version 19 software, had a pedal around and everything was feeling great.

The next day, I turned it on and the speed sensor was going crazy - just basically giving out random numbers. The motor also wasn't running (I assume as a result of this). I guessed this was a faulty connection with the speed sensor but after checking this connection thoroughly I'm happy that it isn't this, so I tried reinstalling the software a couple of times, and I haven't got back to the place where it's working! The weird thing is that the other sensors seem to be being read correctly (checked through section 9 of the main screen). Does anyone have a wiring scheme for the 3 wire speed sensor to the motor so I can rule out hardware? I need it based on wire colours not pins - I broke my original plugs during the install because I'm a terrible solderer!

I initially had the problem with the software flashing where it says something about address not in range (and also warns of lots of bits of memory not being read while reading the TSDZ2 hex file in). It sounds a bit like the problem hego was having?

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, any solutions out there?

I'm going to reflash the original controller for now and go back to the old screen but I'd really like to get this working as it felt great during my one test ride!

At the moment I'm cutting wires and soldering as I broke the plugs during the original install so each trial takes quite a while, but I've ordered some new 6 pin plugs so hopefully I can get back to playing with it once they turn up.

Thanks,

Pete

What device have you selected in the ST Visual Programmer? It should be the STM8S105x6. Could you check that? If that does not work and you still get the "out of range" message we will take it from there!

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks, that's good to know! So it's the x6 for screen and motor? The video was a bit ambiguous because I guess it was done when there was a change between the two.

Also, will the screen only flash when it's disconnected from the motor?

buba said:
...... I hope Marcoq thinks the 0.20.0 is good enough so that he makes a version so you could try it out!
Don't forget v19 is the latest stabile version.
v20 is just alpha, not even beta and you produce these alpha versions in a very fast pace :wink:
I think Marcoq will update if the first reasonable stable beta release is published.

Stupid question,

Can I flash those .ihx files by just changing the file extansion to .hex?

If no, is it possible to download .hex files directly?

Thank you!

if you prefer hex files you can convert with packihx included in the sdcc package.
packihx file.ihx > file.hex

what i noticed in V0.19 version .
start assist ( marcoq version original was 20, i changed it to 3 and it s OK now ) begin after one or two second and it s seem it s not parametrable ( as in marcoq version using v0.19 )

also stop assist don t stop as soon as you stop pedaling, and never found where it s possible to change this parameter .

as long as i remenber it was ok and may parametrable in v0.16 !?

actualy using v0.19 and LCD3 on one bike and V0.19 with v 0.36 configurator ( from marcoq ) in the other one .

planned to move to v.0.20 in a nearby future, because i found emtb usefull even if it was necessary to change defaut parameters in marcoq version .

on marcoq version i m using a 1.15 multiplier for eMTB mode, i m also testing other change from defaut setting .

xlxc34 said:
Thanks, that's good to know! So it's the x6 for screen and motor? The video was a bit ambiguous because I guess it was done when there was a change between the two.

Also, will the screen only flash when it's disconnected from the motor?

Yes, it is the x6 for screen and motor. There is no requirement to disconnect the screen from the motor. But I do recommend to disconnect the battery.

Let me know if you have more questions!

vjvj said:
Stupid question,

Can I flash those .ihx files by just changing the file extansion to .hex?

If no, is it possible to download .hex files directly?

Thank you!

No such thing as stupid questions. If you mean to test the 0.20.0 Alpha versions you can use the .ihx without any problems! Just select that you wish to see all file types when you want to load a firmware in ST Visual Programmer.

elem said:
start assist ( marcoq version original was 20, i changed it to 3 and it s OK now ) begin after one or two second and it s seem it s not parametrable ( as in marcoq version using v0.19 )

also stop assist don t stop as soon as you stop pedaling, and never found where it s possible to change this parameter .

actualy using v0.19 and LCD3 on one bike and V0.19 with v 0.36 configurator ( from marcoq ) in the other one .

planned to move to v.0.20 in a nearby future, because i found emtb usefull even if it was necessary to change defaut parameters in marcoq version .

on marcoq version i m using a 1.15 multiplier for eMTB mode, i m also testing other change from defaut setting .

I recommend to test the 0.20.0 Alpha if you want the latest changes or you could just wait for a stable release. Marcoqs version and the 0.20.0 can not be compared with the same parameters. I believe the implementations and everything else is totally different to the 0.20.0.

Look forward to feedback! :)

andrea_104kg said:
It's quite simple ... when I had the original software the engine gave little power. On the 20% gradient I could not have continuous 300w and it was a great effort. Obviously the temperature is much lower. Personally I want to have fun and an engine is cheap .... about 65 € I don't want automatic limits I only have a digital thermometer to check. And if an engine lasts a year but it made me enjoy it, that's fine, otherwise it's useless ....

What is with your hardwaremod? Doesn't it work anymore?

buba said:
That is because the resolution is so coarse in the previous versions. The current has only a few steps and then it is completely limited as you note.

The 0.19.0 has around 17 steps to 500 W and around 30 steps in total. The 0.20.0 has 66 steps to 500 W, 120 steps total. So you will feel a more gradual decreasing of current. No more hard steps and smoother rides.
Even if I'm sure you can't help me, you help me :D This information is absolutly new and surprising for me and sounds amazing.
I cant wait to try the FW 0.20.0 :) I hope too, that maroq ported your improvements. I also hope that the sw102 fork can use your improvements.

But I'm not only grateful to you. i'm very thanksful to casainho and every other dev (of course also the whole community) that has working on this great firmware :D.

Elinx said:
v20 is just alpha, not even beta and you produce these alpha versions in a very fast pace :wink:
I think Marcoq will update if the first reasonable stable beta release is published.
In my opion it's rather subjective whether a version is alpha or beta. I think that the 0.20.0 Alpha 7 is not more unstable than the (early) 0.19.0 betas.
Probably it's more a question of how much time marcoq has for the port. Maybe he is already working on that. I don't know. The only thing i or we can do, is to hope :).

buba said:
elem said:

I recommend to test the 0.20.0 Alpha if you want the latest changes or you could just wait for a stable release. Marcoqs version and the 0.20.0 can not be compared with the same parameters. I believe the implementations and everything else is totally different to the 0.20.0.

yes i m seeing at all feedback every days since the biginning ;)

and other thing i would know ; is t possible to choose the desired level to use with eMTB ?
Using LCD

with five assists levels, if i could choose the 3 lvl to use eMTB on it , i ll be happy

And yes it s different in marcoq version, in fact for me it s better than standard 0.19 because i can change the duty cycle and other things like that, haven t found on standard 0.19 what i need to change, may be my mistake ? i was using v 0.16 and i thinck it was a really good release .

bingo5 said:
buba said:

Even if I'm sure you can't help me, you help me :D This information is absolutly new and surprising for me and sounds amazing.
I cant wait to try the FW 0.20.0 :) I hope too, that maroq ported your improvements. I also hope that the sw102 fork can use your improvements.

But I'm not only grateful to you. i'm very thanksful to casainho and every other dev (of course also the whole community) that has working on this great firmware :D.

Kind words I highly appreciate, Bingo5! :)

I hope you will like the 0.20.0! It will hopefully be a very solid foundation for all development going forward and for all future displays.

bingo5 said:
Elinx said:
In my opion it's rather subjective whether a version is alpha or beta. I think that the 0.20.0 Alpha 7 is not more unstable than the (early) 0.19.0 betas.
Probably it's more a question of how much time marcoq has for the port. Maybe he is already working on that. I don't know. The only thing i or we can do, is to hope :).

I am confident enough to recommend any user to try out the 0.20.0 Alpha 7. It will be called beta as soon as it is on the main branch and available as an official release via GitHub. Would assume that Marcoq will start doing his magic as soon as there is a stable release of the 0.20.0! :)

elem said:
buba said:
elem said:

yes i m seeing at all feedback every days since the biginning ;)

and other thing i would know ; is t possible to choose the desired level to use with eMTB ?
Using LCD

with five assists levels, if i could choose the 3 lvl to use eMTB on it , i ll be happy

Great to hear! :)

You can change the sensitivity from the display, here is the wiki if you want to take a look:
https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/0.20.0-(DEVELOPMENT)-%7C-KT-LCD3-%7C-TSDZ2-%7C-Manual

eMTB is the last assist level. So if you have five assist levels eMTB will be the sixth and an "E" will be displayed in the assist level field.

elem said:
And yes it s different in marcoq version, in fact for me it s better than standard 0.19 because i can change the duty cycle and other things like that, haven t found on standard 0.19 what i need to change, may be my mistake ? i was using v 0.16 and i thinck it was a really good release .

- Can you explain more about the ability to change the duty cycle?

- And what other things would you like to change, improve or add? If you would like to take a look at the 0.20.0 wiki and maybe give suggestions of improvements to make? Maybe something Marcoq has implemented that we have not yet added or some feature/function that works better.

0.20.0 wiki:

Back