N.E.S.E. the no solder module

This summer might bring new modules. 21700 and 20700 has no no solder solution so i am investing in tooling to get this covered. Here are some teaser photos on size comparison between 21700 and 18650:

A3UO2GH.jpg

TAKKly2.jpg

oP4oawp.jpg

agniusm said:
This summer might bring new modules. 21700 and 20700 has no no solder solution so i am investing in tooling to get this covered. Here are some teaser photos on size comparison between 21700 and 18650:

That certainly would be unique and differentiate you from the crowd.

M

I will be offering new service. Anyone ordering at www.18650.lt will be able to order custom parts needed for the builds. I will not offer design service but rather printing service. As an example you might need custom enclosure or bracket and you have designed it so to save on shipping and looking at different 3d printing services you could just order everything in one place with your battery kit. Here is an example. Long channel for balance wires and pcm enclosure on 10S pack with 3 wire pcm so its all nice and tidy and protected:
342fdf7a02d5b9bc1f822038771a36b65a952b53_2_666x500.jpeg

All files have been updated and uploaded to thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/1865o/designs
Now includes separated module component files

Fantastic contribution to the open-hardware maker's movement, on behalf of the community, thanks a lot!

What would you estimate that a reasonable continuous amperage per individual cell connection / per module would be with 21700's? I'm imagining that these kinds of cells have a larger surface area and the resulting cell holder will probably take more amps than the 18650 holder..

I may sign up to be your test hamster for the 21700 kits, if you make them in a 4P or 5P configuration. It would solve a big problem i have.

neptronix said:
What would you estimate that a reasonable continuous amperage per individual cell connection / per module would be with 21700's? I'm imagining that these kinds of cells have a larger surface area and the resulting cell holder will probably take more amps than the 18650 holder..

I may sign up to be your test hamster for the 21700 kits, if you make them in a 4P or 5P configuration. It would solve a big problem i have.

All the sizes will be up for grabs, 2P through to 8P.
I dont think there are cells to cap my system yet. I have driven vtc5a 6P at ~200A down to flat with minor heating on the tabs(probably mainly cell radiayed) so thats 33A per cell. I would imagine increased tab size will result in 10-15% gain in throughoutput but as i said, i have tested 6P at 200A and i think i could of went 300A continues if i had capable cell. I have sent couple 8P modules to liveforphysics to evaluate, so in time he might be able to torture them harder if time permits.
I have finished my cargo bike and i am pushing 200A peaks. I have 20S7P vtc6 and you can feel them warming up

Awesome :mrgreen:

I am only looking for 60A peak and about 10A per cell peak. Sounds like your connections have things handled.

I look forward to getting some of the first 21700 units from you. Great to hear that you can buy them in any configuration. This solves a big problem for me, as my bike needs an uncommon size pack. And i like the serviceability of the modular battery pack idea ( i liked RC Lipo for the same reason! )

agniusm said:
neptronix said:

All the sizes will be up for grabs, 2P through to 8P.
I dont think there are cells to cap my system yet. I have driven vtc5a 6P at ~200A down to flat with minor heating on the tabs(probably mainly cell radiayed) so thats 33A per cell. I would imagine increased tab size will result in 10-15% gain in throughoutput but as i said, i have tested 6P at 200A and i think i could of went 300A continues if i had capable cell. I have sent couple 8P modules to liveforphysics to evaluate, so in time he might be able to torture them harder if time permits.
I have finished my cargo bike and i am pushing 200A peaks. I have 20S7P vtc6 and you can feel them warming up

I am interested in buying something to make a 20s7p

Just had this email from a customer, thought i'd share:

"Hey buddy. Thought id let you know that your battery holders are explosive safe. Put a battery in backwards a thermal runaway came so quick I barely had time to get it in the protection bag I use but after explosion almost no damage to the unit."

"Very cool though. Well that's our way of saying very interesting. I had my foot on the bag and felt the explosion. Then I looked and the other one was ready to blow so i stomped on the bag ag but it just seemed to release pressure through a hole in the side. Very exciting though. Thank you for building a great product"

Just ordered €242 worth.
Will be very useful for when I want to make some temporary packs and reconfigure later.

Test fitted 21700 NESE module. All looks good. Loaded with samsung 4ah cells comes at 715g.

t3C75Ql.jpg

Now we are offering option of lower profile fasteners. 5.7mm down to 2.7mm to fit in those tight spaces.
Modules will be available for purchase late next week

are you going to register 21700.lt ?

quick before some one camps on it.

I'll take it as a joke. No, not gonna make a mess :)
Its not going to be a big thing i predict. Nice addition but nothing major.

P.S. Or maybe i shoud? :lol:

So 21700 hardware is here and is available starting today. Complete modules are on demand as i have to build stock and evaluate what products are main-sellers.
On this occasion 10% discount for one month. Use 21700 code when purchasing.
21700 modules will use 21700 series bus bars when mounted back to back (surface with the greatest are) or 18650 series bus bars when mounted side to side (mostly on flat scateboard builds), or combination of the two.
This will eventually be fixed and 21700 modules will use 21700 series bus bars in any orientation.

Back