New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

hego said:
The config is right:

STM8S105x6 for OSF ( No flash only my last controller, the others, yes)
STM8S105x4 for stock Firmware. ( Flash alll controllers)

Is puzzle because I´m the only one with this effect.When somebody suffer the same, we can suspect a problem with the memory, but....no.

I will try others things, e.g. my computer behavoir. or similars

Thank´s for all.
Buy a new motor controller that costs only $30. Maybe you can also buy a new display on the same package, the 850C or SW102.

Casainho.... The Mistery is over !!!!!!!

Yesterday I tried x-times flash and no success.In the end was an upgrade of my computer system.

Today try to flash the rebell controller again and...... it flashed at the first try.No memory error.

is not a problem with the STM8S105x6 limit memory. Uff !!! It works.

A great new.

But It must config all parametres by hand: all was null !!! ( Maybe mislead cause´many tries)

Well, I will have an other spare 8-pins-Controller, ideal for a thermal sensor ha, ha, ha.

I´m glad.

Thank´s for all.

hego said:

Yesterday I tried x-times flash and no success.In the end was an upgrade of my computer system.

Today try to flash the rebell controller again and...... it flashed at the first try.No memory error.

A great new.

But It must config all parametres by hand: all was null !!! ( Maybe mislead cause´many tries)

Well, I will have an other spare 8-pins-Controller, ideal for a thermal sensor ha, ha, ha.

I´m glad.

Thank´s for all.

Glad you worked it out. I don't know much about microcontrollers, but why are you trying to flash the Data Memory and what data are you trying to flash to it? That was the verify that was failing, not the Program Memory verify - which was the capacity being worried about?

Hoping to learn. I only ever flash the Program memory and let the code set the parameters in Data memory. Is this wrong?

Cheers

May be sometimes the Data memory was occuped for anything.Can be. I used a blank hex file ( 00 00 00 ...) "for erase" all.

The problem (or error) was ever on the DATA MEMORY, never for the PROGRAM MEMORY (ever correct).

I saved the news hex files with my personal config.I try flash anytimes again them and check. All right.

I check per display de config too.Well again.

I´m not sure was happen : a erratic behavoir from a cheap ST-Link intreface, interconexion cables too long, ambiental electrical noise, any defect of the USB driver, others programs in background..Is the same.It works now and the ST-uCPU hat any problem with my speculation of the extensión of memory up 16 Kb.

On purpose: the v.0.19 run very fine.

Cheers

manoz said:
So I wore out my blue gear after 1600 miles or so and replaced it with the brass one. The motor feels more responsive and it isn't even that noisey though the sound is kinda inconsistent and not a constant whir like the nylon one. Only problem now after several hundred more miles is I get major clicking and creaking when I pedal. Have I worn out the cranks? I've ordered some more. I also just got delivery of a new sprag clutch bearing. Shall I just put it in straight away? Are there any better cranks for people like me who like to out of saddle sprint and turn off the assistance when I feel like beefing up my quads?

I rode like 3000 miles on my tsdz2 (original firmware) and had similar creaking. It did not come from the pedal but rather some screw that is holding the motor on the bicycle that got loose. I tightened everything and it went away.

wpenner said:
emr said:
QuirkyOrk said:
Here in Boston we just had the hottest July on record, so I took it upon myself to do a thermal management mod for the TSDZ2. I was routinely having to dial back my assist usage to stay below 75C on my 23 mile (37km) round trip commute so I decided I would do something about the TSDZ2's awful thermal management (Love the motor overall though).

What I ended up doing was two things...

-I filled the air gap around the motor with a thermally conductive silicone pad so that it now has something to shed the heat to the outer casing other than a not very thermally conductive pocket of air.

-I attached some aluminum fins to the casing of the TSDZ2 so it will cool down quicker. To do this I sanded down the casing to the bare aluminum and then attached some aluminum electronics heatsinks with a thermally conductive epoxy. These work very well as there is constantly air flowing by the bike as it moves along.

These two things have made a huge difference. I pushed the motor extremely hard on my commute yesterday at 4x power multiplier and it never got above 58C. Before when I would use the bike at a much lower assist level I would be right below 75 by the time I got to work.

Looks like we are all suffering from the overheating issue. I recently installed the temp sensor, and was a little disappointed to find the 'E06' showing on the LCD, after only going a short distance (Turbo setting) and when the ambient temp was only app 20C. I raised the temp cut out from 75C to 80C for the power reductions and from 85C to 90C for the power cutoff. I also resigned myself to using a lower power setting (Tour and occasionally speed) to avoid the temp limit. I do miss using the Turbo option though.

Some method to improve the cooling of the motor would definitely be useful. The thermally conductive pads you have tested is an attractive option both for its simplicity and its cost effectiveness. I found that my motor was not particularly hot to the touch when it had reached the temperature cuttoff point, so I suspect that the heat sink fins may not be essential, or possibly a reduced length and quantity. Of course with the heat transfer of the pads, some heat sink might be required.

Thanks for the suggestion and the results of your testing.

Cheers Emma

Supposedly the thermal management works much better if you set the lower limit to a much lower value like 50c. How many amps/watts are you running?

Thanks for your reply WP.

I can see how setting the power reduction limit to a lower temperature setting will avoid the 'cutoff' being reached easily, but I don't want to have reduced power. I am power mad you know!!! As summer arrives, I may have to use your suggestion, so thanks for that.

I have the 52v 750w motor and have set the max watts to 750 in the software. Battery is 52v 17Ah 14s.

Emma

Retrorockit said:
emr said:
QuirkyOrk said:
Here in Boston we just had the hottest July on record, so I took it upon myself to do a thermal management mod for the TSDZ2. I was routinely having to dial back my assist usage to stay below 75C on my 23 mile (37km) round trip commute so I decided I would do something about the TSDZ2's awful thermal management (Love the motor overall though).

What I ended up doing was two things...

-I filled the air gap around the motor with a thermally conductive silicone pad so that it now has something to shed the heat to the outer casing other than a not very thermally conductive pocket of air.

-I attached some aluminum fins to the casing of the TSDZ2 so it will cool down quicker. To do this I sanded down the casing to the bare aluminum and then attached some aluminum electronics heatsinks with a thermally conductive epoxy. These work very well as there is constantly air flowing by the bike as it moves along.

These two things have made a huge difference. I pushed the motor extremely hard on my commute yesterday at 4x power multiplier and it never got above 58C. Before when I would use the bike at a much lower assist level I would be right below 75 by the time I got to work.

Looks like we are all suffering from the overheating issue. I recently installed the temp sensor, and was a little disappointed to find the 'E06' showing on the LCD, after only going a short distance (Turbo setting) and when the ambient temp was only app 20C. I raised the temp cut out from 75C to 80C for the power reductions and from 85C to 90C for the power cutoff. I also resigned myself to using a lower power setting (Tour and occasionally speed) to avoid the temp limit. I do miss using the Turbo option though.

Some method to improve the cooling of the motor would definitely be useful. The thermally conductive pads you have tested is an attractive option both for its simplicity and its cost effectiveness. I found that my motor was not particularly hot to the touch when it had reached the temperature cuttoff point, so I suspect that the heat sink fins may not be essential, or possibly a reduced length and quantity. Of course with the heat transfer of the pads, some heat sink might be required.

Thanks for the suggestion and the results of your testing.

Cheers Emma
The motor housing not being hot to the touch is a result of no heat transfer occuring. It's all staying inside the motor. The outside must get hot to transfer heat to the air. If it has fins it may not get very hot either, but that's because it's rapidly transfering the heat it has recieved though the pads, or other device. The heat distributing surface needs to be hotter than the air, but cooler than the desired motor temperature. The hotter the air, the more surface you will need for heat transfer. But first there needs to be a connection between the motor and the cooling surface.
Passive cooling like this can't go below air temperature. The more surface area the closer it can get to that result. It remains to be seen what's actually needed. I'm sure an actual engineer could calculate what's needed. Better TIM costs money, larger heatsinks cost money, thermal sensors cost money. Burnt up motors cost money too. I would start with a better spec. TIM pad (3M?) and then see if you need to add a heatsink. Since you have a thermal sensor it should be obvious.

Thanks Retro.

I have ordered some 6W/m.K sheets (2mm), so will start with applying that to see if it offers a significant improvement. Hopefully that pads will have enough contact with the housing to efficiently transfer the heat.

Emma

wpenner said:
Does anyone have good instructions for installing the temperature sensor on the 8 wire version. I just got my replacement motor and don't want to burn up this one also. Last time I tried to install i think i ended up splicing into the wrong wires as it acted like ebrake was activated when sensor was plugged in. Is there more than one white wire in the controller?

Wiki Pic:

I have the 8 wire version. I spliced into the wires that were attached to the Thr, Gnd and +5v locations in the image below, which was found here - https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/How-to-install-motor-temperature-sensor...

I believe that some suppliers of the motor have different coloured wiring, so make sure you use the connection points specified in the image and don't be guided just by the wire colour. For me, the Throttle wire was Orange, the Ground was Black and the +5v was White.

TSDZ2_motor_controller_without_throttle_wires.jpeg

When I installed the temperature sensor, I used this small connector to make it easy to remove at a later time. I purchased a few from here
https://core-electronics.com.au/search/?q=led+strip+pigtail+connector+(3-pin)
and here
https://www.banggood.com/3-Pins-Wire-Connector-Female-Male-Extension-Cable-for-LED-Strip-Light-p-1189494.html?cur_warehouse=CN

14575-led_pigtail_connector_3_pin_-01.jpg

Emma

mctubster said:
hego said:

A great new.

I´m glad.

Thank´s for all.

Glad you worked it out. I don't know much about microcontrollers, but why are you trying to flash the Data Memory and what data are you trying to flash to it? That was the verify that was failing, not the Program Memory verify - which was the capacity being worried about?

Hoping to learn. I only ever flash the Program memory and let the code set the parameters in Data memory. Is this wrong?

Cheers

Hego, sorry to chime in so late but I get this error writing the data segment all the time but like Mctubster, I ignore it or don't write that section at all and just let the prog config write all the values. I have noticed that cable length, 5 volts vs 3.3 volts and having the battery connected or disconnected can all affect whether this error occurs or not.

emr said:
wpenner said:
Does anyone have good instructions for installing the temperature sensor on the 8 wire version. I just got my replacement motor and don't want to burn up this one also. Last time I tried to install i think i ended up splicing into the wrong wires as it acted like ebrake was activated when sensor was plugged in. Is there more than one white wire in the controller?

Wiki Pic:

I have the 8 wire version. I spliced into the wires that were attached to the Thr, Gnd and +5v locations in the image below, which was found here - https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/How-to-install-motor-temperature-sensor...

I believe that some suppliers of the motor have different coloured wiring, so make sure you use the connection points specified in the image and don't be guided just by the wire colour. For me, the Throttle wire was Orange, the Ground was Black and the +5v was White.

When I installed the temperature sensor, I used this small connector to make it easy to remove at a later time. I purchased a few from here
and here
https://www.banggood.com/3-Pins-Wire-Connector-Female-Male-Extension-Cable-for-LED-Strip-Light-p-1189494.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Emma

Seems strange that there aren't any integrated temperature sensors from the start, or at least sufficient thermal protection based on current duration. They always find ways for disegned in planned obsolescence.

sysrq said:
emr said:
wpenner said:

Wiki Pic:

and here

Emma

Seems strange that there aren't any integrated temperature sensors from the start, or at least sufficient thermal protection based on current duration. They always find ways for disegned in planned obsolescence.

It may be that with the original firmware, the motor is less likely to reach the high temps that occur when using the OpenSource firmware. Emma

If you are using the Bafang 850C display, go and grab the new firmware version!!

Bafang 850C display new firmware version

Bafang_850C_color_LCD_TSDZ2-wheel_speed-66.jpg
Bafang_850C_color_LCD_TSDZ2-configurations-66.jpg

Download here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/Color_LCD/releases/tag/v0.3.0

Changes:
- graphs data variable to be shown can now be quickly changed from the main screen
- option to invert up and down buttons so the keypad can be installed on the right side of the handle bar
- enable the USB charging
- implemented imperial units
- implemented the option to enable throttle or temperature sensor, or disable both
- various small corrections

NOTE: this version was developed for TSDZ2 motor controller firmware stable version v0.19.0.

Ordered motor kit from PSWPower on Sunday. By Tuesday, I received a DHL tracking number and it is coming from Singapore. It is now Friday and the DHL shipment says they only received label. No pick-up of the package.

I am in the USA. Does anyone know what's going on?

nukezero said:
Ordered motor kit from PSWPower on Sunday. By Tuesday, I received a DHL tracking number and it is coming from Singapore. It is now Friday and the DHL shipment says they only received label. No pick-up of the package.

I ordered the Motor parts from PSWPower and they were at China. I got the first information from DHL where the shipment was and it was in the UK, that took 11 days. There it was over a week and it didn't move anywhere. Then, when the shipment started, it arrived in two days. I am in Europe. Be patient, it will come from there. Courier companies have strange ways.

dameri said:
nukezero said:

I ordered the Motor parts from PSWPower and they were at China. I got the first information from DHL where the shipment was and it was in the UK, that took 11 days. There it was over a week and it didn't move anywhere. Then, when the shipment started, it arrived in two days. I am in Europe. Be patient, it will come from there. Courier companies have strange ways.

It reminded me that I ordered an engine on August 15th, which according to PSWPower was in Germany. This time, delivery seems to be faster so far.

Detailed DHL tracking history
Sa, 17.08.2019 07:26 Neumünster, Germany
The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center
Fr, 16.08.2019 17:59 Neumark, Germany
The international shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin
Fr, 16.08.2019 08:00 --
The instruction data for this shipment have been provided by the sender to DHL electronically

dameri said:
dameri said:
nukezero said:

It reminded me that I ordered an engine on August 15th, which according to PSWPower was in Germany. This time, delivery seems to be faster so far.

Detailed DHL tracking history
Sa, 17.08.2019 07:26 Neumünster, Germany
The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center
Fr, 16.08.2019 17:59 Neumark, Germany
The international shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin
Fr, 16.08.2019 08:00 --
The instruction data for this shipment have been provided by the sender to DHL electronically

This morning DHL picked up the package. It took 6 days. Looks like Pswpower ships it ground to Singapore. Then DHL in Singapore ships to Hong Kong and then to US.

Can somebody help a brother out? Purchased a flashed TSDZ2 with 850c online. Entered the configuration menu per https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike....X#Bafang_850C_information_and_configuration , But when I change the speed units to MPH or the time until the screen turns off to 5 mins, the changes dont take effect. The screen still shows KMH and it never turns off automatically. What am I doing wrong here? Also, is there a way to figure out which version is flashed onto the 850c display?

Thanks

budda919 said:
Can somebody help a brother out? Purchased a flashed TSDZ2 with 850c online. Entered the configuration menu per https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike....X#Bafang_850C_information_and_configuration , But when I change the speed units to MPH or the time until the screen turns off to 5 mins, the changes dont take effect. The screen still shows KMH and it never turns off automatically. What am I doing wrong here? Also, is there a way to figure out which version is flashed onto the 850c display?

Thanks
That was fast, I just released yesterday. Where did you bought it?

Well, the change to imperial should work.

The automatic power off is not working. Let's see If I can release a new version with that. Are you able to update the firmware by yourself?

casainho said:
budda919 said:

Thanks

The automatic power off is not working. Let's see If I can release a new version with that. Are you able to update the firmware by yourself?

I dont think I have the latest version released, because I received it in the mail on Thursday. I looked through the configuration menu and didn't see any reference to what version is on there. Ordered from eco-ebike.

casainho said:
budda919 said:

Thanks

and no, I'm not sure how to update by myself, but willing to buy what I need and learn.

budda919 said:
casainho said:
budda919 said:

Thanks

and no, I'm not sure how to update by myself, but willing to buy what I need and learn.
Yes, there are many details left to implement like saying the version of firmware.

Ok, lets see if in next days we have available a method that will be easier to update that what is currently of opening the display.

[/quote]
Yes, there are many details left to implement like saying the version of firmware.

Ok, lets see if in next days we have available a method that will be easier to update that what is currently of opening the display.
[/quote]

Thanks, Ill be on the lookout. For now, anything I can do to troubleshoot the MPH not showing?

budda919 said:
Thanks, Ill be on the lookout. For now, anything I can do to troubleshoot the MPH not showing?
You have an old version where that both things do not work. The most recent version from yesterday, imperial units do work.

Forgive me for spamming across the TSDZ2 threads guys, but I do see people talking about this everywhere,and I am really excited about this, and reeaally put a lot of work in. No no no, nothing compared to anyone programming etc... but it is all relative, and I am extremely challenged sometimes :roll: :lol: so... I see this as a major thing, bringing the availability of the OSF TSDZ2 to a much wider range of people who would not even be able to think about cracking a 850C open. Anyway, let me know if anything looks like it needs correcting etc - I hope everything is good, took me long enough :shock:

eyebyesickle said:
Making progress, hoping to hear good news by next week. I have another route to go if I don't get permission by then, but things appear to be working out.

You are currently using the 850c system for yourself, correct? Any new previews of the display screen to show off? I am trying not to crack open my 850C as is!!! Im too OCD for that mess :lol:

HAHAHA, hope to hear the good news by next week I said - just a few days shy of 6 months ago eh? WELL - at least it finally happened. Was not easy to obtain the information needed, that's for sure. Luckily we have pros on the team like casainho who knew what do to with said info, since my people are MIA :shock:

Everything is cleared with APT etc - and I also briefly mention a DIY method for making your own bootloader box - alhough this method is untested, and IMO may be more trouble than it is worth... but please let me know if anyone makes one and successfully upgrades, so we can update the article with the news!

FYI - Sending a bunch of these to a Chinese Warehouse for cheap/fast international shipping, and we already have plenty in the USA. 1750mm cords to make it a little easier on you if your display is mounted to your bike already... Things just got a little bit easier around here! Whew

850C Display - TSDZ2 Open Source Firmware - Plug and Play Bootloader Update Tutorial- ARTICLE WITH LINKS
https://www.eco-ebike.com/blogs/eco...en-source-firmware-bootloader-update-tutorial

850C Display - TSDZ2 Open Source Firmware - Plug and Play Bootloader Update Tutorial- VIDEO TUTORIAL / DEMO
[youtube]0efCpe-Yj50[/youtube]

FYI - the newest version with imperial unit/throttle/etc support IS NOT AVAILABLE YET for the bootloader, but is expected shortly. The bootloader DOES NOT USE THE SAME .bin FILE THAT YOU USE TO MANUALLY UPDATE!!!

Any ETA casainho? :wink:

Back