The Frey HT1000 - And yes, HT stands for Hardtail! *updated*

The slow train from China is finally here. No charges at all, just delivered to the door, extreme packaging which is good and unmarked. Yet to test, but cannot find the config software (with the torque settings page) anywhere, lots of broken links and rubbish. Anyone got a direct link?

BikeSmall.jpg

Had the software all along, cannot get smooth no torque settings yet, but sure I will get there. It's long winded unplugging the green cable plugging in the USB, trying a few config settings in the app, plugging back in, test ride, doesn't work, repeat!!

A little disappointed with Frey appearing to supply old versions of the DPC18 display, so I am stuck with 5 levels and the ECO/SPORT mode. I did a bit of experimenting by setting levels 1,3,5,7 and 9 at 20% increments. This matches up to the 5 levels on the display and then I set levels 2,4,6 and 8 to zero assist. Lo and behold, when I changed to sport mode (long press on plus symbol) in each level I got no assist which explains (nearly) how the eco/sport works. Only oddity was that I was expecting sport in level 5 to have no effect being no level 10, but it nearly threw me off the bike, some sort of turbo maybe. Anyway, this was clearly not liked by retailers/customers and the version seems to have been short lived, but maybe there was still lots in stock at the bicycle builders like Frey who needed to get rid of them. Not the version I wanted anyway. Anyone know 100% which displays work with the G510/M620/Ultra. I have 500c mini display on my other BBS02 Bike, I might try that.

Everything else seems spot on, I ordered the SRAM 10-42 11 speed cassette to replace my 11-46 as I don't do loads of off-road hill climbing and this is cheaper and simpler than upping the chainring and chain length for an extra 10% gearing. Even the Tektro brakes I didn't upgrade are pretty good and they have built in cutouts.

Seem to have a torque page settings which mimic 'no torque' i.e. cadence assist like BBSxx motors, which suits me and my pathetic lungs. Need longer test ride to confirm. Also upped the "Time to Stop" and "Stop Decay" on the pedal assist page as I now have brake cutoffs, although I suspect the "Stop Decay" is overridden by the same settings from the torque page.

Attachments

• Torque.jpg
    Torque.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 4,197
robwalley1963 said:
Had the software all along, cannot get smooth no torque settings yet, but sure I will get there. It's long winded unplugging the green cable plugging in the USB, trying a few config settings in the app, plugging back in, test ride, doesn't work, repeat!!

A little disappointed with Frey appearing to supply old versions of the DPC18 display, so I am stuck with 5 levels and the ECO/SPORT mode. I did a bit of experimenting by setting levels 1,3,5,7 and 9 at 20% increments. This matches up to the 5 levels on the display and then I set levels 2,4,6 and 8 to zero assist. Lo and behold, when I changed to sport mode (long press on plus symbol) in each level I got no assist which explains (nearly) how the eco/sport works. Only oddity was that I was expecting sport in level 5 to have no effect being no level 10, but it nearly threw me off the bike, some sort of turbo maybe. Anyway, this was clearly not liked by retailers/customers and the version seems to have been short lived, but maybe there was still lots in stock at the bicycle builders like Frey who needed to get rid of them. Not the version I wanted anyway. Anyone know 100% which displays work with the G510/M620/Ultra. I have 500c mini display on my other BBS02 Bike, I might try that.

Everything else seems spot on, I ordered the SRAM 10-42 11 speed cassette to replace my 11-46 as I don't do loads of off-road hill climbing and this is cheaper and simpler than upping the chainring and chain length for an extra 10% gearing. Even the Tektro brakes I didn't upgrade are pretty good and they have built in cutouts.

This display works on a Ultra Max: Bafang 500C

Anyone know if the 750c or other displays work on the ULTRA/G510/M620 ??

I like the 500c and pleased to know this works, but a little disappointed with the plus/minus buttons, just not enough feel or movement, I'm always moving levels and find that I haven't.

Had one, couldn't see display in the sun. Shame as I loved programming on the fly. Does this now have the torque page settings for the Ultra??

So is the eggrider a Bafang SW102 display but with Bluetooth programming?

Love the looks of it!

Well, I have to conclude the DPC-18 display V3.0 is a lock down device. Some of the ECO/SPORT modes appear to override some of the controller assist and torque settings if you are used to programming the controller with the app, this is not good news.

However, tried the 500C display and while I'm not a huge fan of the Plus/Minus buttons, I love the display and it works brilliantly on the Ultra if you want the programmed settings you specify using the app.

Have to order another 500C now, the DPC-18 V3 will likely be useless on my BBS02 where I borrowed the 500C Display from, but I will try it tomorrow.

ECO/SPORT on the DPC-18 V3 appear to have no effect on non-torque motors, it's fixed five levels equated to my levels 1,3,5,7,9 settings on the BBS02 controller, so it's just the torque page settings this display over-rides in eco/sport on the newer Bafang motors. Maybe I'm being to hard on them, these are the integrated models and they appear to want them locked down like Bosch and co.

Anyone know, prior to contacting Ivy at Frey if their HT1000 rear rack is OEM and I can get it somewhere closer to the UK or it's proprietary and I f**ked up and should have ordered it with the bike.

Richard N said:
entropic said:
Map Paddy said:
My bike arrived safely and am loving it ,just at higher speeds not much input from cycling want to fit larger front chainring anyone know what's the largest that will fit or can I get offset any ideas

Map Paddy,

I did a bunch of eyeballing and some haphazard measuring and then ordered a Stone 48T narrow-wide 130BCD chainring from "Sports goods stores" on AliExpress. It was about $50 and arrived to my door in 3 weeks.

I mounted it this morning and it fits great. You miiiiiigght be able to fit a 50T but I wouldn't take the gamble; it wouldn't surprise me if 48T is as big as it gets on this bike. A couple pics:

YcpqpuD.jpg

L8FX2qy.jpg

I will probably plan to length the chain at some point but for now I can shift into all gears but the granny rear gear is a tight fit. It's aluminum, and the 40T that came on my HT1000 must be steel, the Stone is noticeably lighter.

I took it on a quick ride and I think it will be a good improvement for me. With the 40T, the bike had 2 gears: 10th gear was for climbing, 11th was for cruising. :lol: It didn't really have a gear for going fast fast, my masher self was cadenced-out around 25mph. But was able to pedal comfortably into the low 30s on the downhill part of my ride this morning. I should say I only use the bike on the road, mostly for commuting, so the gearing range is somewhat wasted on me. I think I'll still be using the bottom half of the cassette almost exclusively.

Well after being sidelined for about 5 months I'm back and finalizing my order.

I'm curious about which groupset you went with for your bike and the cassette ratio you're using?

Wish I'd seen this post a while ago. Just swapped mine to a 44t and rear to the 11-40t of the same Deore set as the 11-46t that came with the HT1000. I didn't think a 48t would fit, now I will be repeating the exercise. Even with the 44T I'm always in the top 5 gears. BTW anyone tried without the plastic chain guide yet and survived.

I got a Wolftooth 50t off ebay for a bargain, which is good, because it doesn't fit the HT1000 by a hairs breath, the odd wide tooth with muck on it gently brushes the chainstay. Used a spacer on BBS02 but that is no good either. After removing bafang lockring and inner chainwheel, the ultra has a recess meaing the spacer/washer difference between ID and OD would be small, making it delicate unless custom made from titanium or something. 48t really is max on this model, which is OK and now we know.

robwalley1963 said:
I got a Wolftooth 50t off ebay for a bargain, which is good, because it doesn't fit the HT1000 by a hairs breath, the odd wide tooth with muck on it gently brushes the chainstay. Used a spacer on BBS02 but that is no good either. After removing bafang lockring and inner chainwheel, the ultra has a recess meaing the spacer/washer difference between ID and OD would be small, making it delicate unless custom made from titanium or something. 48t really is max on this model, which is OK and now we know.

Thanks for doing your part for science and confirming that the 50T is a no-go. I imagine it'd be really close.

entropic said:
robwalley1963 said:

Thanks for doing your part for science and confirming that the 50T is a no-go. I imagine it'd be really close.

Sooooo close. I have a flecc of paint missing on the chainstay that requires a magnifying glass to spot and only nicks on the odd wide tooth. Still, a couple of loose chainwheel bolts or twist (it is aluminum on an ultra) and a lot more paint would be removed. I like my 48T to 11/42T setup, works for me.

I have removed the chain guide also and no issues (60 miles so far), not sure why they combine this with a wide/narrow - should stick like glue without the guide.

I now have a Wolftooth 50T and a RaceFace 44T, both 130BCD wide/narrow on ebay.

Grace contacted me on WeChat, the bike and battery are in Guangzhou now and will leave China tomorrow.
Arrival in Thailand is in 10-15 days, via special line so duty free :D

@entropic thanks, it was a color option that Grace showed me in some sample pictures.

Here is the box, reinforced with a wooden crate for additional protection.
It was shipped out of Shenzhen yesterday, note the gentleman in the background sporting a "Beijing bikini" :D
mmexport1569929173540.jpg

The Frey HT arrived today, but the battery not yet.
It was very well packed, keeping the box if I have to ship it again :D

Quick assembly today, next week to busy...
LRM-EXPORT-90454479206671-20191013-123245854.jpg

LRM-EXPORT-91012740982447-20191013-124303577.jpg

The first posts in this thread are now over a year old, so if there are any early adopters still out there, how how has that year treated your bike?
Are there any major or minor gripes that you have or had the bike surpassed your every expectation? How much have you had to spend on the upkeep of your bike. Any upgrades you wished you had thought of when you bought it?
I'm seriously considering buying one, but it would cost over 3.5 times the amount this old man has every spent on a bike.

Here is my unboxing

Video: https://youtu.be/2-EykSwlUTs

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/7Y9DVJC

Website: http://www.frey.bike/HardTails-electric-bike/Frey-HT1000.htm

Specs: 2019 HT1000 L size matt blak

Motor: Bafang Ultra G510.1000 48V 1000W mid motor system.

Battery: 52V 17.5ah Samsung battery

Front fork:GTMRK 120mm air suspension front fork;

Handlebar & Stem: Promax brand alloy mountain style.

Seat post: Promax brand alloy.

Saddle: SR sport comfortable saddle;

Brakes: TEKTRO HD E725 4-piston Hydraulic disc brakes Transmission:

Shimano DEORE M6000 10 speed gears.

Tire: schwalbe super Moto x 27.5*2.8

Pedal: Wellgo alloy mountain style pedals.

Add front/rear fenders, rear rack and front/rear light, one frey hiking bag as gift.

First time building a bike, got the seat the wrong way around!

Unfortunately Frey shipped me a US battery charger which fried when i plugged it in. They are express shipping me AU one.

eggbert said:
The first posts in this thread are now over a year old, so if there are any early adopters still out there, how how has that year treated your bike?
Are there any major or minor gripes that you have or had the bike surpassed your every expectation? How much have you had to spend on the upkeep of your bike. Any upgrades you wished you had thought of when you bought it?
I'm seriously considering buying one, but it would cost over 3.5 times the amount this old man has every spent on a bike.

No major gripes on mine, but I haven't ridden it as much as I'd like due to illness and other obligations.

This is our nice time of year to ride and am looking forward to getting back on it. Just ordered a Jones bar. 8)

Hi! I am a newbie in the forum and I getting this bike soon. I am from Spain but nowadays I live in South Germany Heidelberg.

It is already in the shipping process and I hope I can get my bike the first days of the new year.
I will use it for commute every day 100kms (I order 2 chargers for charge also in my job) and I am getting the 2,4 supermoto x tire for fast riding. I am quite fit with the road bike and I do this 52kms usually in 2h and it is not only tarmacked it is also a forest with good pavement and some gravel. I hope with this bike I can do in around 1h 15 min with that is enough. If not I will use my car (also in rainy and cold days)

I have some questions:
- How much is the range for commuting? In what conditions?
- I want to buy the 48t, do I need to look for a special one? what bolts sizing is?

Regards,
Miguel

Back