Bafang SW102 Bluetooth LCD - OpenSource firmware and mobile app

(yep - for sw102 code you should for the time being use a 0.19 release of the motor firmware)

hi ya'll,

Not a crucial update, but you should probably install it - otherwise there is a chance your display controller might show a fault code:

https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/SW102_LCD_Bluetooth/issues/22

Currently there are no remaining open bugs (please file any you find). Our remaining task list is here:

https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/SW102_LCD_Bluetooth/blob/master/TODO.md

But we will probably be working on some internal refactoring for about a week before we do another release of the SW102 code.

Get the bins here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/SW102_LCD_Bluetooth/releases/tag/0.19.10

Wiki updated with a solderless programming mehtod I used with great success:

https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/Color_LCD/wiki/Initial-SW102-firmware-install#solderless-connection-to-debug-pads

Greetings
Niklas

yah - I think the solderless way is the best approach for anyone just now tuning into the SW102 channel ;).

If you don't have 2mm headers (because you are in the USA and we are anti-metric cavemen, I'm sure you can cheaply get them from amazon).

Alpha 11 is out with some minor GUI improvements, instructions and changelog here:

https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/SW102_LCD_Bluetooth/releases/tag/0.19.11

jimmyfergus said:
I assume a slight bending to some inch-based ones could do it well enough?

I think possibly. For me I found getting the bends just right was challenging enough I opted to tack solder the wires instead.

geeksville said:
jimmyfergus said:
I assume a slight bending to some inch-based ones could do it well enough?

I think possibly. For me I found getting the bends just right was challenging enough I opted to tack solder the wires instead.
I want to share more pictures of the alternative way of cutting on the right side. In the end I glued with black silicone and I am pretty sure the SW102 is again water resistant as original -- this is a big plus.

Just marking my intentions - I am about to bulldog these folks about the SW102 bluetooth firmware update... I am arrogant, but highly confident we will make 'this' happen - 'this' being updates with fresh SW102 displays, no initial hack job needed! I would say let's hope this doesn't take me 6 months like with the 850C- but I have already been working on it for quite some time... :roll: although I think with a little direction from you folks (which has already been given,athankyou) - it will greatly expedite the process... You probably already know this casainho (by how I would not shut up about it for so long), but the SW102 is my favorite display =) I use it on my BBS AND my TSDZ2 bike already =) I am super excited to be able to use it with the open source firmware though... oooooh man! :mrgreen:

eyebyesickle said:
I use it on my BBS AND my TSDZ2 bike already =) I am super excited to be able to use it with the open source firmware though... oooooh man! :mrgreen:
You can use it right now, the process to open it from lateral, let you glue back the removed lateral with black silicone and will have a nice finishing and also watter tight like original.

casainho said:
eyebyesickle said:
I use it on my BBS AND my TSDZ2 bike already =) I am super excited to be able to use it with the open source firmware though... oooooh man! :mrgreen:
You can use it right now, the process to open it from lateral, let you glue back the removed lateral with black silicone and will have a nice finishing and also watter tight like original.

Yes I took a look and you actually did a great job opening it up like that... Clean with the cuts etc... Nice. I figure while there is still a bit of work being done on the code, I will work on the easy upload!

I'm not riding toooo horribly much right now these past couple weeks, as I have not been commuting since I have to carry a trunk full lately, and I've been running a bit for excercise since finally after a couple bad disc herniations I have regained feeling in my foot! So I can be patient and hope it all comes together with perfect timing. I will say though, I am very impressed with the progress I see so far.

Congratulation for the huge work. I have a question: Which is the max voltage supported for this lcd? I read the wiki but I haven't found this info. Xl7005 supports up to 80v, I read that there's also a voltage divider 300k-16k, 17 times more or less, a bit confused...

e3s said:
Congratulation for the huge work. I have a question: Which is the max voltage supported for this lcd? I read the wiki but I haven't found this info. Xl7005 supports up to 80v, I read that there's also a voltage divider 300k-16k, 17 times more or less, a bit confused...
You can use from 7S up to 14S (24V up to 52V) battery pack. I am being using a 14S.

I will put this information on the wiki, thanks for reporting this.

e3s said:
Thanks. Can be loaded with some mods with more voltage?
Read more on the wiki.

Well, we finally got it done... I've been working on this forever, and got it finished just in time to not matter anymore :lol:

https://drive.google.com/a/eco-ebike.com/file/d/1APDYO2kH6MfwyhdisKMNQdqvJp7QDlhe/view?usp=drivesdk

I can't wait until we have some strong versions of the OSF out for this thing...

eyebyesickle said:
Well, we finally got it done... I've been working on this forever, and got it finished just in time to not matter anymore :lol:

https://drive.google.com/a/eco-ebike.com/file/d/1APDYO2kH6MfwyhdisKMNQdqvJp7QDlhe/view?usp=drivesdk

I can't wait until we have some strong versions of the OSF out for this thing...

Oooh cool - no soldering connectors. Great work! (and I think your second wish has a good chance of success - we'll know soon)

geeksville said:
eyebyesickle said:

Oooh cool - no soldering connectors. Great work! (and I think your second wish has a good chance of success - we'll know soon)
Oh yeah, it's just simple Bluetooth update of firmware for Stock TSDZ2... Just took a while to get all the functions working, and it to look like I wanted... Even though I'd prefer a voltage readout, among other things... Been flashing Bluetooth between BBS etc for months ..

But if I get my second wish.... I'll be very happy. And likely have a third wish (for more wishes)

Sorry for a dumb question, but will this firmware work with BBS02 or is it exclusively for TSDZ2 motor?

I didn't know about TSDZ2 when I was building my ebike, experiencing really strong buyer's remorse right now

perpleks said:
Sorry for a dumb question, but will this firmware work with BBS02 or is it exclusively for TSDZ2 motor?

I didn't know about TSDZ2 when I was building my ebike, experiencing really strong buyer's remorse right now
This LCD is sold as for Bafang although we developed our own firmware so it works with TSDZ2, also running our own developed firmware.

This LCD could work for KT motors controllers, mainly for our own OpenSource firmware or Bafang and other motor controllers, but for that there would be needed developers interested in developing it, that are usually users of the system.

So currently no, it does not work with Bafang nor there are any plans to implement that.

Rydon said:
There is a discussion going on in the Eggrider facebook group about simplifying and making the text bigger and more readable for the critical functions. There have been many complaints and of course, there are always a lot of tradeoffs and opinions regarding what information is critical, keeping it simple and making such a tiny display able to be read while riding. Here is one proposal that I like a lot.

57118232_10217618180099475_899070610787794944_n.jpg

The light and dark background on the assist level is a stealthy way to communicate road/off-road mode. I like having the volts but I think % could be graphical.

That would be a fairly easy change for our codebase. If anyone wants to work on adding it I'm happy to give them pointers on github, or one of the existing devs (casainho, lowperformer or me) can probably get to it at sometime after the other items in our queue have been addressed (2-3 months?)

So,

Thanks to eyebysickle talking to the mfg and getting us some key data we've now made changes that have a pretty good shot of allowing 'solderless/no need to even open the SW102' bluetooth initial installation. However, in making these changes I've now changed the device eyebysickle gifted me with that I can no longer test a 'from scratch' installation. I think it has a very good chance of 'just working' on a virgin device from their factory, but I can't promise it.

So. If any of ya'll are interested in using a SW102 and you are comfortable with using our existing instructions (i.e. open the unit and use an ST-LINK for the initial load) but haven't yet tried it: We are looking for someone willing to try our new wireless update instructions instead. Note: It is possible this update won't work and at that point you would need to open the unit and install the conventional way (thus the possibility that you still might need to open the unit if this approach fails).

It might be that all SW102s support this wireless update? but we know for sure that the semi-custom units made for eyebysickle & eggrider do have this feature. So if you have been wanting to buy one, you might want to buy it from either of them.

If you are willing to be a trailblazer and try this, the basic instructions are here. But I'm happy to chat with anyone who wants to try this for us: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/SW102_LCD_Bluetooth/issues/35#issuecomment-525492910

geeksville said:
Rydon said:
There is a discussion going on in the Eggrider facebook group about simplifying and making the text bigger and more readable for the critical functions. There have been many complaints and of course, there are always a lot of tradeoffs and opinions regarding what information is critical, keeping it simple and making such a tiny display able to be read while riding. Here is one proposal that I like a lot.

57118232_10217618180099475_899070610787794944_n.jpg

The light and dark background on the assist level is a stealthy way to communicate road/off-road mode. I like having the volts but I think % could be graphical.

That would be a fairly easy change for our codebase. If anyone wants to work on adding it I'm happy to give them pointers on github, or one of the existing devs (casainho, lowperformer or me) can probably get to it at sometime after the other items in our queue have been addressed (2-3 months?)
After that previous message, I updated the design file and I think it follows this ideas. I think we just need to implement the design.

geeksville said:
So,

Thanks to eyebysickle talking to the mfg and getting us some key data we've now made changes that have a pretty good shot of allowing 'solderless/no need to even open the SW102' bluetooth initial installation. However, in making these changes I've now changed the device eyebysickle gifted me with that I can no longer test a 'from scratch' installation. I think it has a very good chance of 'just working' on a virgin device from their factory, but I can't promise it.

So. If any of ya'll are interested in using a SW102 and you are comfortable with using our existing instructions (i.e. open the unit and use an ST-LINK for the initial load) but haven't yet tried it: We are looking for someone willing to try our new wireless update instructions instead. Note: It is possible this update won't work and at that point you would need to open the unit and install the conventional way (thus the possibility that you still might need to open the unit if this approach fails).

It might be that all SW102s support this wireless update? but we know for sure that the semi-custom units made for eyebysickle & eggrider do have this feature. So if you have been wanting to buy one, you might want to buy it from either of them.

If you are willing to be a trailblazer and try this, the basic instructions are here. But I'm happy to chat with anyone who wants to try this for us: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/SW102_LCD_Bluetooth/issues/35#issuecomment-525492910

Sure happy to try this once I receive my next device in the next few days.

Edit:

I have received a unit today! :) so will try this later and let you guys know how I get on.
PS this is the Ali Express seller I ordered my unit from. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000054464868.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4f9c4c4drTZe5H about 10 days delivery to the UK.

Back