Bafang BBHD 48v 1000w: Controller dead?

halfeuro

10 mW
Hello,

Long story short: i got a 52v 28v controller in the original kit BUT it was supposed to be 48v 30a. I got a replacement and it was 48v 30a. Now it only rides for about 8 to 10 seconds before the motor cuts out BUT the display (eggrider) stays on.

Is there any diagnostic I can run to determine what the problem really is?

Would it just be the controller in this case probably? Could it be blown hall sensors or something?

How do I run diagnostic if I have eggrider with bluetooth if that makes a difference?

Thanks a lot!

Mark
Canada

Wheel speed sensor would be my guess. Make sure it's connected and the magnet and pickup are passing each other as the wheel turns. The motor will cut out after a preset time if it doesn't get a signal from that sensor.

Normally it will spit out an error code on the display when this happens but I've heard of cases where it did not.

Also I've never used the eggrider display so I'm not sure how it would handle error conditions.

Thanks for the reply

I haver tried connecting the speed sensor

I did notice that when I got replacement controller that there was a spark indicating there was a charge in the controller.

I touched them together by accident when trying to make a new connector set

The controller should have been discharged

Could this be why the controller is not working properly now?

Damn useless sellers out there not doing their jobs IMO

If it's driving the motor at all the controller is probably fine.

Did you verify the speed sensor is functioning? You should be able to get a speed reading on the display by spinning the wheel, even without the motor running.

The symptoms you described are literally identical to what will happen if there's no valid reading from that sensor, and I cannot think of any other likely cause.

As for seller support, it's hit and miss on these things and Bafang essentially provides no end user support whatsoever.

This forum is the best resource you will find. By a long shot.

halfeuro said:
I did notice that when I got replacement controller that there was a spark indicating there was a charge in the controller.

I touched them together by accident when trying to make a new connector set

The controller should have been discharged

Could this be why the controller is not working properly now?

No that should just discharge the capacitors.

But speaking of sparks, does it pop when you connect the battery to the controller? I don't have a "power" switch, so when I connect the battery it's hot. Even with the spark arrester XT-90 connections a good controller usually pops, but a dead one won't. (you have to wait a bit for the capacitors to discharge so plugging and unplugging repeatedly doesn't always pop)

This isn't 100% accurate or the greatest diagnostic, but I've found it's a good indication whether the controller is alive or dead.

That being said, dustbone is 100% right. If the speed sensor isn't working it usually powers down after a few seconds to a snails pace, which seems to be what your are describing. Make sure the LED is turning on and off and then trace back the wire.

I don't believe there's a 28A controller for the BBSHD? You can limit it through the settings but it should be 30A regardless of the voltage. I'm trying to think if this is relevant to your problem or not. I don't believe it is but I thought it was odd.

Hello

I connected the sensor and no LED lights on now.

Could I be doing something wrong?

halfeuro said:
Hello

I connected the sensor and no LED lights on now.

Could I be doing something wrong?

Just to clarify, you mean the LED light on the sensor, or the display? I have a feeling you mean the sensor because that's surely the problem you've described.

If the display powers on and the red sensor LED on the end doesn't light up you've got a bad sensor or break in the wire. If you have a voltage meter check to see if there's any voltage going to it (you probably need a couple bits of wire, those HIGO connectors are tiny). It's probably around 3V. Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to bypass the sensor, but you can search the forum.

When I had the 52v 28a controller it DID alllow me to use the bike without having the speed sensor connected or reading the magnet.

This controller appears to be different.

I will try measuring voltage etc

thx for the help!

Like I said before, you should be able to get a speed reading in Km/h on the display by turning it on and spinning the wheel by hand. If it stays at 0 there's a problem with the sensor/wiring. The LED being unlit indicates it's probably not getting power.

There should be 3 wires for the sensor, +5V, GND and a signal that goes from low to high voltage as the magnet passes the sensor, hitting somewhere around 4V at it's closest point.

Dependence on that sensor was one of the reasons I ended up binning the stock controller and replacing it with an external one. It's actually a pretty good controller it's just plagued by a few stupid quirks like this one.

disable auto off

may avoid shutdown

when no speed sensor

Sounds like a plan! I will try this.

It could be the original 52v controller didnt have the same functionality of the new controller

thx

Hello

How do I get the eggrider to save settings? On my phone I click " write" but when I reboot the eggrider it does not save.

Any special trick?

Thx

halfeuro said:
Hello

How do I get the eggrider to save settings? On my phone I click " write" but when I reboot the eggrider it does not save.

Any special trick?

Thx

Join the eggrider Facebook page and ask your question there.

Back