KT motor controllers -- Flexible OpenSource firmware for BMSBattery S/Kunteng KT motor controllers (0.25kW up to 5kW)

haiyi911 said:
When I start to ride under PAS mode, the motor works intermittently, with a creaking sound.
Ramp start bigger than timeout makes no sense.
Use a PAS with more magnets and /or increase timeout.

regards
stancecoke

Good day folks,
would anyone advise which pins on my controller are used for programming?
Mine is 18-fet and the board looks different than the example controller.
Or can I straight up use the display cables for programming?

here's pictures of my controller:
https://imgur.com/a/w2XMfQr

And in case anyone can help with my cutting out problem: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=101681

Do you guys know if the KT-LCD8 display's will work on non KT controllers? Obviously i won't have any programming features but i should still be able to get voltage and speed readout assuming one of the wires from the display is for hall's

It isn't, its a very minimalistic (1980s style) digital protocol via UART. IIRC even the voltage reading is not being measured directly by the display.

sorry for my newbie question. I just got my stlinkv2 and I would like to flash the firmware from MacOSX.
openOCD seems to work, but I cannot find scripts for stm8, only stm32. Is this normal?
Otherwise there seems to be stm8flash. I haven't tried it yet. Does it require openocd? Or is it standalone?

thanks

stancecoke said:
csbike said:
Does it require openocd?

openocd is only needed for debugging.

regards
stancecoke

thanks, but from what I understood, you can also flash using openocd. Or am I wrong?
Also where do I get the stm8 files I need as they are not in the official openocd directory. I found this openOCD clone (https://github.com/ntfreak/openocd/tree/master/tcl/target). Is this where you guys get them? Should I install the clone, or just copy over the missing scripts?

thanks

Hi, using this firmware, can I reprogram my 12 mosfet controller to a lesser amperage? I think the version I purchased is too much for my battery, but not entirely clear yet on why. Like could I limit it using the amperage setting to 20 amps?

Aquakitty said:
Hi, using this firmware, can I reprogram my 12 mosfet controller to a lesser amperage? I think the version I purchased is too much for my battery, but not entirely clear yet on why. Like could I limit it using the amperage setting to 20 amps?

As long as your controller is a suitable type for the firmware you can configure limits in both battery and motor phase current. Have a read through the guide here:-

https://github.com/stancecoke/BMSBattery_S_controllers_firmware/wiki

...you'll find all the info you need there.

Hi

So before I order, is this controller compatible? https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/OD09IRG8

Also I have a KT-LCD3, which currently has the TSDZ2 FW on it, any way to use it with a KT controller on this FW?

This awesome new color lcd states that it has the communication protocol supporting the tongsheng controller.. could the firmware be loaded onto one of these?

C$ 109.95 | colored TFT LCD display 24v36v48v52v60v72v 3.5 inch IPS screen vertical/horizontal middle type+controller electric bike parts
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/BPA08yFI

Powerhour said:
This awesome new color lcd states that it has the communication protocol supporting the tongsheng controller.. could the firmware be loaded onto one of these?

The o/s firmware is actually loaded into the controller not the display. The display you mention isn't supported by the fw and even if the comms protocol was similar you would probably have some other issues. Best to stick with a supported display, the lcd3 is the obvious choice here.

I see from other threads you are keen to use a torquesensor, I'm using the Sempu T4 t/s with this firmware and can confirm it works well with Stancecoke's branch. Be aware though that setting up the hardware and fw to get everything working well takes some time and patience, this is not a plug and play solution. Also developement of the fw seems to have pretty much finished and it can sometimes be difficult nowadays to get help when you run into trouble, however the wiki contains lots of good info.

In your situation I would be taking a long hard look at the TSDZ2..... :wink:

geofft said:
Powerhour said:

The o/s firmware is actually loaded into the controller not the display. The display you mention isn't supported by the fw and even if the comms protocol was similar you would probably have some other issues. Best to stick with a supported display, the lcd3 is the obvious choice here.

I see from other threads you are keen to use a torquesensor, I'm using the Sempu T4 t/s with this firmware and can confirm it works well with Stancecoke's branch. Be aware though that setting up the hardware and fw to get everything working well takes some time and patience, this is not a plug and play solution. Also developement of the fw seems to have pretty much finished and it can sometimes be difficult nowadays to get help when you run into trouble, however the wiki contains lots of good info.

In your situation I would be taking a long hard look at the TSDZ2..... :wink:
I hope someday to use the 3kw Bafang BBSHD mid drive motor drive (for my future cargobikes when I will have baby) with KT motor controller and this firmware, then, I will want to add support for the 850C and SW102 as on the TSDZ2 firmware.

The Bafang BBSHD, we can't simple develop firmware for it, so, must be with an external controller.

casainho said:
I hope someday to use the 3kw Bafang BBSHD mid drive motor drive (for my future cargobikes when I will have baby) with KT motor controller and this firmware, then, I will want to add support for the 850C and SW102 as on the TSDZ2 firmware.

The Bafang BBSHD, we can't simple develop firmware for it, so, must be with an external controller.

...as discussed elsewhere, the torquesensor is the key to turning the BBS02/HD into the brilliant drive that it could be. Hopefully a solution that fits the bill will come along, I'm keeping an eye out for possibilities. I might see if I can get a pair of those pedal pressure sensors to work with the existing KT fw, it would be interesting to see how they perform...

geofft said:
casainho said:

...as discussed elsewhere, the torquesensor is the key to turning the BBS02/HD into the brilliant drive that it could be. Hopefully a solution that fits the bill will come along, I'm keeping an eye out for possibilities. I might see if I can get a pair of those pedal pressure sensors to work with the existing KT fw, it would be interesting to see how they perform...
You are correct, I almost forget that. Yes, that will be the other project of torque sensor on the cranks, DIY and output by Bluetooth and that will limit the system to work with the SW102. BUT, the firmware foundations is shared between 850C and SW102 so should be fast to have both working on KT motor controllers.

Regarding those pedal sensors:-

https://forehorse.en.made-in-china....lectronic-Pedal-Torque-Sensor-for-E-Bike.html

....I was rather hoping they would come with a wireless (bluetooth?) receiver unit that had 'standard' torquesensor type outputs. This way I could connect it directly to my existing KT setup for testing. Not sure about this though, I wish these sellers would provide a bit more of the essential information... :(

geofft said:
Regarding those pedal sensors:-

https://forehorse.en.made-in-china....lectronic-Pedal-Torque-Sensor-for-E-Bike.html

....I was rather hoping they would come with a wireless (bluetooth?) receiver unit that had 'standard' torquesensor type outputs. This way I could connect it directly to my existing KT setup for testing. Not sure about this though, I wish these sellers would provide a bit more of the essential information... :(
That pedals will not work for the ones that do mtb or road bike, because everyone uses the clip pedals.

I think the sensor on the cranks would cover almost everyone.

casainho said:
That pedals will not work for the ones that do mtb or road bike, because everyone uses the clip pedals.

I think the sensor on the cranks would cover almost everyone.

Hmm....good point, I hadn't thought of that. That's a shame because I got a reply from them saying they come with a receiver unit that sounds like it could work for us.

Hopefully something like that Paltorc setup will come along (at an acceptable price) to do the job.

This march I built a prototype with strain gauges on the crank and an HX711 module. The data transmission from the turning crank to the stationary bike frame is done by the SPI protocol of the HX711 via infrared LED RX/TX - pairs. It worked on the workbench, but I prioritize my Lishui opensource sensorless control project at the moment :)
This setup doesn't need bluetooth and can be implemented just like the Sempu.

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pedelecforum.de%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Fthreads%2Fdrehmomentsensor-an-linker-tretkurbel.61265%2F

index.php

regards
stancecoke

Torn between this, and the tsdz2 for a good torque sensing e-bike solution. With this, would I be able to configure it to feel similar to the tongsheng, but with higher speeds?

Powerhour said:
Torn between this

What do you mean with "this". The torque sensor? The Kunteng Controller firmware? Higher speeds with which motor?!

regards
stancecoke

Sorry. I mean ordering the TSDZ2 or buying a torque sensor and a KT controller for use with my existing hub motor. But I'm thinking I might pull the trigger on this tongsheng today. Been researching this for the last week or so. But any info on how they compare would be great. Also Is the BluOsec app just for the KT?
Thanks again
Chris

Powerhour said:
Sorry. I mean ordering the TSDZ2 or buying a torque sensor and a KT controller for use with my existing hub motor.

Depends on your usecase. If you don't plan to climb really steep mountains and the speed is your most important need, you better keep the hub motor.

The middrive has only advantages in the mountains (real mountains, not hills....:wink: )

regards
stancecoke

Back