Lime Bike battery fire

aroundqube

10 kW
https://nypost.com/2019/07/25/lime-bike-apparently-explodes-injuring-rider-in-queens/

I heard the guy had spurs, and kicking the flanks of the bike with both feet to push it faster. :mrgreen:

MadRhino said:
I heard the guy had spurs, and kicking the flanks of the bike with both feet to push it faster. :mrgreen:

Best thing I have heard on here in a while. :lol:

This:

"In 2015, a Brooklyn man made a four-month, 2,700-mile trek from New York to California on a Citibike — and incurred a $1,200 late fee for exceeding the service’s 45-minute time limit on rentals."

I know it wasn't an ebike but epic all the same. Way to go buddy!

Bigwheel said:
This:

"In 2015, a Brooklyn man made a four-month, 2,700-mile trek from New York to California on a Citibike — and incurred a $1,200 late fee for exceeding the service’s 45-minute time limit on rentals."

I know it wasn't an ebike but epic all the same. Way to go buddy!

http://www.countribike.com/

There is an anti Lime movement going on so it wouldn't surprise me if someone took some lighter fluid to it and lit it on fire.

Statistics show that every day there are people ending up in the ER room with broken bones, in a city of 1.25M there are atleast 4 a day, what a drain on our free health care system up here in Canada.

markz said:
There is an anti Lime movement going on so it wouldn't surprise me if someone took some lighter fluid to it and lit it on fire.

Statistics show that every day there are people ending up in the ER room with broken bones, in a city of 1.25M there are atleast 4 a day, what a drain on our free health care system up here in Canada.

Well that's one of the problems with free health care. Everybody else has to absorb the cost of the reckless or unhealthy behavior of others.

wturber said:
markz said:

Well that's one of the problems with free health care. Everybody else has to absorb the cost of the reckless or unhealthy behavior of others.
Well, most of the people who need health care are not responsible for their health problems. I am willing to pay for a few idiots, if it does mean no one is left without help because they are poor. The cost of health care is too high, I agree, but it is not because of the people who are treated. The system, like any bureaucracy, has accumulated too many political nominations in the administration.

We are rich enough to pay for the poor in our country, but no one is rich enough to pay for corruption. All we can hope, is that politics put an end to privileges abuse, and that people in the public services are hired for their dedication, not for their political relationships.

MadRhino said:
wturber said:
markz said:

Well, most of the people who need health care are not responsible for their health problems. I am willing to pay for a few idiots,
<snip>

It's more than a few. But I decided to spare the forum my rant on that topic.

Back to e-biking.

Ebiking idiots?
I´ve seen a few on the streets

I am not feeling guilty laughing at them crashing,
But I still feel it’s good paying to save them...
Would it be only for the fun of seeing them crash again. :twisted:

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
what if someone dies, guess there may not be a bill but will you still be laughing?? :confused:
Nope, because I had not died yet.

After you crashed, you are morally entitled to laugh at those who crashed. To be morally entitled to laugh at those who died, you must have lived the experience yourself. :mrgreen:

what if?
no no its happened and will continue to happen

I've seen the Lime scooters cruising around the sidewalks, they are like packs insects scurrying around. I tried to rent one, during rush hour non the less. I booked it and had 15 minutes to find it, I could not find it yet they still charged me. I sent them a message stating I wanted the remaining money I had left on the account back and please close my account. I spent more time looking for the Lime scooter then would have taken me to get to where I was going, a few blocks to the train. However not only that, I spent more time pre-booking hunting down a scooter or bike to rent. I just wanted to see how much power the scooter or bike had.

markz said:
I've seen the Lime scooters cruising around the sidewalks, they are like packs insects scurrying around.

Ya, maybe more like lemmings....
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/28/scooters-california-oakland-los-angeles-bird-lime

markz
I been seeing Lime ebike abandoned all of over Calgary some of them in the middle of no where for example industrial area.
To sabotage such ebike would have been very easy with nobody around.
One abandoned in Foothills Industrial in the middle of sidwalk for 3 days.

E-HP said:
Ya, maybe more like lemmings....
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/28/scooters-california-oakland-los-angeles-bird-lime

All too often they block sidewalks, they really should have a docking system. Then they are paying rent to land owners!

miro13car said:
markz
I been seeing Lime ebike abandoned all of over Calgary some of them in the middle of no where for example industrial area.
To sabotage such ebike would have been very easy with nobody around.
One abandoned in Foothills Industrial in the middle of sidwalk for 3 days.

Yeah I saw one by a mail box deep in the burbs, city limits. I am suprised no ones loaded up a truck load and dumped them into the Bow River.

I wonder what voltage and Ah and cells the batteries are for the bikes and scooters. Even the motors would be useful to some extent. :wink:

Should start taking pictures of the oddest locales, like in the pathway between houses from the alley, today.
I just kicked it over as I rode by. :lol:

Yesterday I tried to domino affect a row of Lime escooters by baseball batting the first one with a 1L bottle of water. Downtown. It did not happen, my bottle of water fell out of my hands and onto the street. If no one was around, perhaps I would have karate kicked it.

Yes, but in the Metro a week ago there was an article about how Edmonton's had them for awhile and its not pleasing the city hall idiots, which I cant blame them. The scooters are pissing many people off. They should really be docked because the vast majority are just left standing in the middle of a sidewalk, where I kick them down as I walk or ride past.

miro13car said:
We have Lime scooters and Lime ebikes here in Calgary. Quite different animals
So it was Lime ebike on fire,not scooter

very fact that those scooters can be abandoned just like that with no responsability from renter at all, is bad bad
and City of Calgary should not give that company permission to operate at all.
so battery run out of juice and you can abandon this in the middle of pathway?
or
does not it work like this?

I don't know the details but city of PHX says they won't let them stop the clock on them until they are parked in approved locations

miro13car said:
very fact that those scooters can be abandoned just like that with no responsability from renter at all, is bad bad
and City of Calgary should not give that company permission to operate at all.
so battery run out of juice and you can abandon this in the middle of pathway?
or
does not it work like this?

Not sure how it really works, but based on observations:

People find a scooter that has charge, rent them, the abandon them when done. Repeat, while still charged. After this, there are three paths:
  • Workers in flatbeds use GPS to locate the abandoned scooters, collect and charge them, and redeploy.
  • Frustrated residents collect the scooters and dump them in the ocean, bay, lakes, or trash (the lake in the article I linked had a steady ~80-100 scooters being dumped per month for a few months in a row).
  • City impounds the abandoned scooters and companies pay the impound fee to retrieve them.

The city has revoked the licenses and reinstated them later after the companies have made adjustments, but the problem is still the same.

if the city revoked the license until adjustments were made then how is the problem "still the same" sounds like they work towards solutions or won't be allowed to operate..

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
if the city revoked the license until adjustments were made then how is the problem "still the same" sounds like they work towards solutions or won't be allowed to operate..

I think a lot of problems go away from the local government’s perspective with an exchange of money, which isn’t the same as the actual problem going away for the public. I’ll be optimistic by thinking it’s not that way everywhere, but here the scooters were there one day, gone the next, then back, and the same issues exist. Actually, there were even more scooter companies on the second round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back