ICE Sprint 26 with BBSHD build. (recumbent trike)

Show off your E-bike creation here.
Snurt   100 mW

100 mW

ICE Sprint 26 with BBSHD build. (recumbent trike)

Post by Snurt » Sep 04 2019 11:07pm

I was just in the process of ordering a BBSHD from em3ev when i stumbled over a 2013 ICE Sprint 26 recumbent and i just fell in love with that weird bike.

I ended up ordering a BBSHD, an EggRider, a 14s9p e35 pack (52v30.6a triangle pack) and a Grin Satiator. My wallet is whimpering in a corner RN.

Huge tanks to em3ev for making this built a lot easier than expected, supplying several custom cables for free and being quick to help trough email!

Heres the original:

Here is the test fitment of the BBSHD:

Im on the process of drilling some holes in the handles to route cables and planing where to route and place stuff, at also seems that the Lekkie pedal arm i got makes the left pedal be further away from the frame for some reason, its not appealing to me.

Should i just remove the front gearing? im using it right now as a makeshift chainstay but i don't know if its needed, chain on these bikes is so long chainline should not be of any concern.

More pictures to come as i get the extensioncables i need and other misc parts in the mail.
Last edited by Snurt on Sep 18 2019 12:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snurt   100 mW

100 mW

Re: ICE Sprint 26 with BBSHD build. (recumbent trike)

Post by Snurt » Sep 05 2019 10:20pm

Handlebars progress:

I bought a set of TerraCycle Mini BE Cockpit Mount that i drilled out to mount accessories to and route cables trough.

Right side with thumb throttle and EggRider display:

Left side with stop switch, audible bell and soon to come light switch:

Left and right side by side, doesn't look to shabby so far.

Snurt   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Snurt » Sep 11 2019 5:03am

Test fitting a battery bracket and some other doohickeys today, having some splendid weather to work in.

TerraCycle Universal Battery Mount that i fitted to the bendy part by using some cloth. Can also see the 1.2m long cable that was needed to reach the battery from the BBSHD.

Here is a frame quick adjust that makes the chain length extremely forgiving. A pure comfort item.

in the front i have 160mm disc brakes and a normal V-brake(rimbrake) on the rear wheel. Any ideas if i should upgrade brakes or not? and does anyone know of a good shifter that wil suit this build?
[+] Current Brake and shifter situation
Shifter

Front right brake

Front left brake

Rear Brake(on a park brake handle)

thundercamel   100 W

100 W

Post by thundercamel » Sep 11 2019 1:58pm

I dig it. Any shots with the battery pack attached? How does it perform? Any desire for wider tires with more volume yet?

Edit: Just saw the second post was today, so not quite there yet :)
Last edited by thundercamel on Sep 11 2019 2:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Ebike builds - Existing bikes, affordable motor kits, self built 14s6p batteries - Now with more recumbent!

thundercamel   100 W

100 W

Post by thundercamel » Sep 11 2019 2:26pm

By the way, your profile picture reminds me of this place:
Blondie's

Photo op to the right of the entrance (open as new tab for full resolution):

Me 19 years ago:
My Ebike builds - Existing bikes, affordable motor kits, self built 14s6p batteries - Now with more recumbent!

The Toecutter   10 kW

10 kW

Post by The Toecutter » Sep 11 2019 5:34pm

This is a nice trike.

I'd recommend keeping the front derailleur. Try doing 25 mph over a rough section of road where your trike gets hammered by potholes and see if the chain stays on. If it comes off, for sure you'll want the front derailleur as a chain stay, or at least SOME type of chain stay in its place.

Also, there are elastomer suspensions that ICE makes for its trikes, should you find that the trike is too unsafe when you push it to its limits or take it over rough roads.
Last edited by The Toecutter on Sep 12 2019 9:55am, edited 1 time in total.

Snurt   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Snurt » Sep 12 2019 8:31am

Testfit of battery and measuring up if i can manage to fit a Topeak rack and trunkbag, they have a quick release system i quite like.
Charging it up fully for the first time to, going for the first ride as soon as it hits 100%.

Snurt   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Snurt » Sep 12 2019 11:11am

thundercamel wrote:
Sep 11 2019 1:58pm
I dig it. Any shots with the battery pack attached? How does it perform? Any desire for wider tires with more volume yet?

Edit: Just saw the second post was today, so not quite there yet :)
Heres a couple extra shots of it with battery on it. Im hoping to make it look as clean as i can with the parts i have.
The Toecutter wrote:
Sep 11 2019 5:34pm
This is a nice trike.

I'd recommend keeping the front derailleur. Try doing 25 mph over a rough section of road where your trike gets hammered by potholes and see if the chain stays on. If it comes off, for sure you'll want the front derailleur as a chain stay, or at least SOME type of chain stay in its place.

Also, there are elastomer suspensions that ICE makes for its trikes, should you find that the trike is too unsafe when you push it to its limits or take it over rough roads.
25 mph is WAY over the speeds i am aiming for, dont want police attention. I emailed ICE and asked about going FS, it would be in the pricerange of 900usd.
I also ordered a chainstay from ebay, in hope of removing some clutter from the handlebars.

Snurt   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Snurt » Sep 12 2019 1:33pm

The Toecutter wrote:
Sep 11 2019 5:34pm
This is a nice trike.

I have to correct myself, i just got back in from a long ride, and i did 45kmh(28mph) with the trailer behind me. It was rough even on paved road.

thundercamel   100 W

100 W

Post by thundercamel » Sep 12 2019 6:11pm

Ha, the speed is irresistible!

The Toecutter   10 kW

10 kW

Post by The Toecutter » Sep 12 2019 11:08pm

Snurt wrote:
Sep 12 2019 1:33pm

I have to correct myself, i just got back in from a long ride, and i did 45kmh(28mph) with the trailer behind me. It was rough even on paved road.
Before long, you'll be making a velomobile body shell for it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/okpeters/ ... 905111646/

Then you'll delight as your range per charge increases by a factor of 3 or more.

thundercamel   100 W

100 W

Post by thundercamel » Sep 13 2019 8:21am

Is that your velomobile Toecutter? If so, do you have a build thread?

I don't mean to clog up this thread, but I've been searching for a while to find out whether any triple front derailleur can be set up with a chainring larger than 53T, and that one is 65!

The Toecutter   10 kW

10 kW

Post by The Toecutter » Sep 13 2019 7:36pm

thundercamel wrote:
Sep 13 2019 8:21am
Is that your velomobile Toecutter? If so, do you have a build thread?
That velomobile belongs to Orin Peters. I linked to that one because it is a design that will fit the OP's make of trike. Orin was able to reach more than 40 mph in it on flat ground at Battle Mountain, NV. There is no motor of any kind in it.

I do have one though. I was able to reach 35 mph on flat ground with the first shell, and I've been over 50 mph downhill. There's pictures/video in the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66772&start=175#p1402653

I'm working on the next design iteration which will have greatly improved aerodynamics.
I don't mean to clog up this thread, but I've been searching for a while to find out whether any triple front derailleur can be set up with a chainring larger than 53T, and that one is 65!
You may need to install a front derailleur post extension of the proper diameter.

https://www.rei.com/product/700227/delt ... tem-raiser
Last edited by The Toecutter on Sep 14 2019 12:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aquakitty   100 W

100 W

Post by Aquakitty » Sep 13 2019 10:16pm

What I like about front boom mounting is people can't see the motor easily. So the normal "recumbent stare" you get is more satisfying when you are riding one up a hill faster than on a regular bike. :lol:
Rans Enduro Sport w/Sturmey-Archer XFRD8, TSDZ2 open source mod 48v
GT Verb Comp f/s TSDZ2 open source 48v
Diadora Ampio bargain f/s TSDZ2 48v
2020 Diamant 247 belt drive 1000w 9C 48v
Hardtail made from random bits I had laying around, ginormous old Marzocchi fork, BBS02

Snurt   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Snurt » Sep 15 2019 12:12pm

Aquakitty wrote:
Sep 13 2019 10:16pm
What I like about front boom mounting is people can't see the motor easily. So the normal "recumbent stare" you get is more satisfying when you are riding one up a hill faster than on a regular bike. :lol:
And omg do people stare! I i knew that beforehand i wouldn't have bought that recumbent.
Im on a 36 tooth from cog(IIRC) so im not going to go superfast, i gave it 30amps for the first time today and called it a day when i reached 35kmt.

I also found this weird thingy in the garage today, i think its meant for a car steeringwheel, its a bluetooth remote that works.
Do you think hot glue wil hold it in place on the bikes handlebars?

Snurt   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Snurt » Sep 17 2019 2:38pm

I was on a 35km ride yesterday and one thing i instantly missed was more range on my gears. If im to climb by my own power i need a lower gear and if im to speed down a long hill i would need a higher gear.

Anyone have any good options to recommend?

Right now i have a 26" wheel, 9 speed cassette with a 11 tooth smallest sprocket and a 36 tooth ring on the BBSHD.

Maybe i can change to a 10 speed with a wider range and a bigger ring on the BBSHD?
Is it maybe possible to built ones own double chainring in front?

I know so little about gears and such.

Snurt   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Snurt » Sep 20 2019 12:55pm

Update, started installing the shift sensor and the new rear rack and rackbag.
Instead of cutting original wire housing i opted to buy some "bling" wire instead.

Propped up naked.

Original twist gear shifter, vaseline intensive care.

Recumbent done for today, now with 100% more JagWire and 100% more rackbag.

OH NOES! WHA HAPPUN?!

The Toecutter   10 kW

10 kW

Post by The Toecutter » Sep 20 2019 1:24pm

Snurt wrote:
Sep 17 2019 2:38pm
I was on a 35km ride yesterday and one thing i instantly missed was more range on my gears. If im to climb by my own power i need a lower gear and if im to speed down a long hill i would need a higher gear.

Anyone have any good options to recommend?
I see five potential options that may or may not be workable:

1) *IF* your mid drive can accommodate it, install a front triple crank with a front derailleur and a shifter.

2) *IF* your mid drive can accommodate it, install a different sized sprocket and a Schlumpf drive.

3) Move the mid drive to the middle of the trike, install a triple crankset/front derailleur/shifter up front.

4) Install a jackshaft with a double or triple and derailleur/shifter set up in the middle of the trike.

5) Install a sprocket on the rear wheel where a disc brake would normally go and set the motor up to drive the rear wheel from the opposite side of the human powered drivetrain.

3, 4, and 5 are definitely possible, but won't be easy or cheap. 1 and 2 may not even be viable depending upon the specs of your mid drive, and 2 will be very expensive if it can be made to work.

This is one of the reasons why I'm set on a hub motor.