Tesla Model 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Punx0r said:
Can we start a rumour it'll be running a pack made with Sony VTC6 cells? :twisted:

I second that pressure them into it.
I struggle to see where the added current could be used the car is blistering quick now how much more can traction handle, I think higher top speeds are of major priority but that will be left to the roadster now there's an Idea an old roadster with vtc6 cells and s dual motor running gear.

Ianhill said:
Punx0r said:
Can we start a rumour it'll be running a pack made with Sony VTC6 cells? :twisted:

I second that pressure them into it.
I struggle to see where the added current could be used the car is blistering quick now how much more can traction handle, I think higher top speeds are of major priority but that will be left to the roadster now there's an Idea an old roadster with vtc6 cells and s dual motor running gear.

The nurvergering is lots of high speed stuff. This needs big power the model S is awesome 0-60 but starts to taper as you get past ~80mph some stiffer cells would help immensely

What ever they achieve this time round will be a warm up for when the roadster is released so even if the Porsche records do stand for this year they won't hang around for long few years there be civic type E knocking on the door of them lap times more than likely just have to wait for this progression to seriously kick off.

Ford have had their credit value dropped major so it's a sign of the times adapt or shut up shop.

Ianhill said:
What ever they achieve this time round will be a warm up for when the roadster is released so even if the Porsche records do stand for this year they won't hang around for long . . .
Yep. Will be a fun decade as electric propulsion takes over as the performance standard. (That is, unless Musk's rocket-engines-for-cars takes off.)

Hillhater said:
I wonder why Tesla doesnt just run the new Roadster instead of the “S” ?
Its just as much an available road car as any “special” track version of the “S” that can turn laps at the ring is..

Haha way to risky lol drop the biggest gun they got for years to come and first words will be from press when is production ?, can't back it up just yet sorry no record then yet Mr musk if it's not production worthy ah pointless experiment and make people want the roadster more urgent.

Ianhill said:
Hillhater said:
I wonder why Tesla doesnt just run the new Roadster instead of the “S” ?
Its just as much an available road car as any “special” track version of the “S” that can turn laps at the ring is..

Haha way to risky lol drop the biggest gun they got for years to come and first words will be from press when is production ?, can't back it up just yet sorry no record then yet Mr musk if it's not production worthy ah pointless experiment and make people want the roadster more urgent.

Can't cost much more to send two cars then just 1..... ;)

Hillhater said:
Isn’t there a fleet of Model S “track race” cars already running somewhere ?
Ahh, here is one version ..
https://jalopnik.com/here-s-what-happened-with-the-tesla-model-s-race-car-th-1827321127
More info..
Maybe they will just wheel out one of these..
But they have been trying (unsuccessfully ?) to get this series working for 2 years now ?
Supposedly the car is set up for a 60km race distance.
[youtube]b6LGIt24iUI[/youtube]

Hillhater said:
Hillhater said:
Isn’t there a fleet of Model S “track race” cars already running somewhere ?
Ahh, here is one version ..
https://jalopnik.com/here-s-what-happened-with-the-tesla-model-s-race-car-th-1827321127
More info..
Maybe they will just wheel out one of these..
But they have been trying (unsuccessfully ?) to get this series working for 2 years now ?
Supposedly the car is set up for a 60km race distance.
[youtube]b6LGIt24iUI[/youtube]

I bet the new model s performance is faster with the newer motor tech lol.

I saw Hyundai electric Kona roll past me on the road the other day, so these all-electric EVs are showing up in Australia. https://www.hyundai.com/au/en/cars/suvs/kona/kona-electric

It seems the expert Tesla doomsayers all seem to talk as if the Porsche Taycan is going to single handily crush Tesla.
While there are tons of reviews now on YouTube it's nice to be able to watch a 4k-resolution video of the Porsche Taycan actually being produced in the factory.
Watching the highly automated video it almost seems like with all the robotics that the most useful thing the humans can do is wear white gloves and hand-feel the car all over for any visual/feelable imperfections in the car.
https://youtu.be/41nazRGnXoQ
[youtube]41nazRGnXoQ[/youtube]

Also on Tesla, I newly uploaded podcast of the news and rumours of Tesla's financial health quite interesting. I tend to use YouTube as an audio podcast service just as much as anything else.
https://youtu.be/OetAnndyvNI
Be sure to skip into the first 5.5minutes of the audio as its all adverts/sponsors and thank-yous..

TheBeastie said:
Be sure to skip into the first 5.5minutes of the audio as its all adverts/sponsors and thank-yous..

Tesla and wallmart have worked it out. Old news.
Tesla has enough cash to sustain their current path for 3.5-4 years before running out
Tesla has raised more money they they asked and in less time every time they asked to raise capital!

Tesla its about to crush the rest of BIG auto and nobody will be ready.

Have you looked at fords stock price since Tesla started?

Europe will be a tougher cookie to crack than the US the big manufacturers kept supresing and got caught with their pants down but there's no gigafactory over hear and the model 3 after currency conversion to especially uk sterling losses its appeal against the much cheaper leaf etc.
It's a complete flip on head to us where it's just a little extra for much more car it becomes to much extra for the performance when really most want to go a2b cheap clean and convinent.

I feel over here tesla needs a big push if they want to beat the existing car mafia, psa group have a small hatchback coming out that it's much cheaper and offers an experience close to what most are used to with decent range,charge times and cabin comforts it's a complete package on the market very soon.

The luxury car market allways moves first it's where the money is and it's the easier sell but when tesla can compete on a budget to luxury level then they will be a serious risk at the moment I see the global plan ain't fully in place to kick everyone's arse just yet.

Claiming it's highly modified is not realistic. It's got wide tires, bolt on breaks, and stick on fender flares. But we don't know anything about the motors, controllers or battery.

Exciting either way.

https://insideevs.com/news/370314/tesla-model-s-spy-nurburgring/?fbclid=IwAR1zZXR2UllNptFzvvXxdle6TkpV2Q3gp08LjvcDAyQfJ4F0IaQ2eZ1RRDc

Arlo1 said:
Claiming it's highly modified is not realistic. It's got wide tires, bolt on breaks, and stick on fender flares. But we don't know anything about the motors, controllers or battery.

Exciting either way.

https://insideevs.com/news/370314/tesla-model-s-spy-nurburgring/?fbclid=IwAR1zZXR2UllNptFzvvXxdle6TkpV2Q3gp08LjvcDAyQfJ4F0IaQ2eZ1RRDc

Interesting the car seems to have all the extra goodies to make it more than up for the task maybe I'll eat my words once again won't be the first time. :shock:

Seems the Porsche was a pre production we have to cut some slack the stats on the Porsche are slack so a lack of interior etc is being played by both teams more than likely.

TheBeastie said:
It seems the expert Tesla doomsayers all seem to talk as if the Porsche Taycan is going to single handily crush Tesla.
Wow, Tesla has come a long way. Porsche used to be one of the market leaders for performance cars. Now people are saying that perhaps a Porsche will beat Tesla, the current market leader. THAT is the position you want to be in as a company.

Arlo1 said:
HdOD8Q.jpg

Hillhater said:
Arlo1 said:
HdOD8Q.jpg
Yup that was announced after. Something I was hoping for honestly because it's what it's comming in the pipeline like I heard!!! Super excited!

If the “P+”. (Plaid ?) is the car for the lap attempt, ( and all the reports point to that). Then i would suggest an extra motor, electronics, uprated brakes, suspension, etc , and ??? Battery,...would put it well into the “highly modified” category.
Certainly not something that is currently in production...at best a “production prototype”
But of course, that is also pretty much what the Taycan was for its lap.

Hillhater said:
If the “P+”. (Plaid ?) is the car for the lap attempt, ( and all the reports point to that). Then i would suggest an extra motor, electronics, uprated brakes, suspension, etc , and ??? Battery,...would put it well into the “highly modified” category.
Certainly not something that is currently in production...at best a “production prototype”
But of course, that is also pretty much what the Taycan was for its lap.

Yes you are correct.

But at the time of the original post and the info from it there was no proof it was highly modified!

Video has surfaced of the car hot lapping, it looks fairly fast but it's also looking to have the weight lurking on the corner transfer it oversteers out of the bends and u can see the chassis working overtime to gather up.

Really the fastest car round here is always the most useless in real life scenarios, tesla might aswell make a custom battery that delivers all the power and a little more ;) but have enough capacity to keep one lap flat out little voltage sag and minimum weight then that's chassis can shine through with out the elephant on it's back and get some blistering balls to the wall times proper group b rally stuff.

Ianhill said:
, tesla might aswell make a custom battery that delivers all the power and a little more ;) but have enough capacity to keep one lap flat out little voltage sag and minimum weight ....
Whilst i am sure it wont have a stock P100 pack, it will likely need all that 100kWh capacity to feed its 500+ KW potential for even a lap or two. No matter what chemistry they can slip inside, they wont be able to lose a lot of weight from the pack.

Hillhater said:
Ianhill said:
, tesla might aswell make a custom battery that delivers all the power and a little more ;) but have enough capacity to keep one lap flat out little voltage sag and minimum weight ....
Whilst i am sure it wont have a stock P100 pack, it will likely need all that 100kWh capacity to feed its 500+ KW potential for even a lap or two. No matter what chemistry they can slip inside, they wont be able to lose a lot of weight from the pack.

Don't they use the most energy dense cell available rather than discharge heavy so In theory they could there abouts half the pack capacity and double the current output within the same foot print just a case of hardware upgrades for peak current handling but then it is a one of custom no production trophy attached big risk if that got out to public.

Yes, Energy dense,and optimised for long life cycle, but not so high on the Power density !
So if you half the capacity, each cell will have to handle double the discharge current...with the associated extra heat build up, voltage sag, etc.
They could use some better “power” cells instead, (Samsung, Sony, LG ,). since ultimate cycle life is not a concern.
But that 500+ kW is still going to suck through battery capacity pretty quick to turn a good time.

Hillhater said:
Ianhill said:

That is quite wrong hill hater. With that mentality if they had 100kwh of lead acid it would be just as good which we should point out would be ~ 7000lbs :roll:

Its likely ~ 5kwh of energy for a lap. Maybe as much as 10Kwh so a high powerdensity pack with about 30kwh would be able to make more power and shave ~600 lbs off of the car.

Have a look at Metrics 125 C continous cells 250C peak!

Attachments

• Intro.JPG
    Intro.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 1,741
  • 300amp.JPG
    300amp.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,741
  • 625amp.JPG
    625amp.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,741
  • 750amp.JPG
    750amp.JPG