Epic fail- tried to pull out a tree stump, dug it out in 45 min- pulse 144

Todays cross fit exercise- attach 1.5 ton hoist to garage slab and pull out stump.
a chunk came out of the slab :bolt: :roll: :lol:
weed trees sure are strong :(
feel free to post your stump pulling stories 8)

So todays cross fit exercise was to attack the stump with my wimpy electric 10" pole saw :roll: it is 25 yrs old and needs a new chain (but i sharpened it the best i could).
so, since the stump is way bigger than 10", i decided to cut off sections to get rid of the feeder roots. worked 45 minutes and used a sharp shovel to chop off the smaller roots. Violently chopping it with the shovel causes a jolt thru the arm and should be good to stimulate the bones to grow stronger. Not sure if they can duplicate this at a gym :lol:
i can now move what is left a little, so another session next week should allow me to get at the tap root. :bolt:

I saw one video where a guy chopped a chunk out of the stump and started using it as a barbecue. He eventually burned it to the ground and let the winter wash most of the ash away.

:D :bolt:

just drive a big drill right into the base as deep as possible and pour down vinegar or someting like caustic soda if you are in a hurry.
it will be dead in days and then it starts rotting. the next year you can drive over it with a mulcher.

thanks flippy,
i do have vinegar and a drill.
:thumb:

If cant find any lumber for pull leveraging the stump out, which is super duper easy to do. I have done it on stump bases that were 1.5' wide.

Then you could also burn the stump, takes a lot of time. Drill lots of holes everywhere you can with a wide drill bit, use a chain saw to cut slots into the stump. Use an air blower. Get out your fuel and soak it. Some burn it in that way. Others will add wood over top of the stump and have a fire go for days and days. Try to enclose the stump with a big ole oil drum, or some bricks to keep the heat on the stump. Keep adding wood to it as needed.

i just drilled 5 half inch holes, filled w/vinegar :bigthumb: will see if this kills it :!: i don't need to plant there for at least a year :mrgreen:
too close to garage to burn :(

Matt Gruber said:
i just drilled 5 half inch holes, filled w/vinegar :bigthumb: will see if this kills it :!: i don't need to plant there for at least a year :mrgreen:
too close to garage to burn :(
you might want to "refill" the trunk a few times and cover the top with black plastic.

First, google "Dakota fire pit", and read enough to thoroughly understand it.

Next, drill a 1/2-inch hole down the center of the stump to form the "fire hole". Then, drill another hole off to the side at about a 45 degree angle in order to supply fresh air to the bottom of the fire-hole.

Heat rises, so if there is a fire in the central hole, it will pull up air from any hole that will supply fresh air to the bottom of the fire hole.

I also saw a youtube where someone cut the bottom off of a steel 55-gallon drum to form a cylinder, and he set it over the stump.

Whether you think it will work or not, it's very easy and cheap to try for a few hours...

Not that I would really suggest anyone try this...but:

Drill a bigger hole, and stuff it full of old RC LiPo all wired in parallel, with big gauge wires soldered to teh tabs. Plug the top of the hole thoroughly so the gases can't escape....

Connect those up to the highest current output thing you have (fully charged car battery, etc) that doesn't have a current limit or fuse that can't be damaged by doing this), and wait for the "bomb" to go off. ;)

If that's not enough, drill the hole deeper and fill it with black powder......

:lol:

BTW, a friend of mine has used diesel down a hole drilled in a mesquite tree to kill it's taproot (it was growing out at the house foundation, and just wouldn't stop coming back everytime he cut it off)

at this point, if i had a Mango tree in a pot that was ready to transplant, i'd hook the hoist back up to the slab, and pull it out. I'm 99% confident that it is loose enough. This spot is the best spot when there is a rare freeze, between the garage and the wood fence, facing south. Mango trees die when frozen :(
The idea is to use tools that i have, but back in NJ 30 yrs ago we had a pick ax, and that would be my 1st choice. the only farm tools i brought down are a hand sickle and the hatchet, which is too light. While all my neighbors make a lot of noise with a weed wacker, i just use the sickle 8)
But i don't have any trees yet, (i do have the seeds to a bonsi plum tree :wink:
Thanks for all the ideas guys! i did cover it with 2 plastic bags, brown and yellow. tied with a string.
The great news is that my hands are not sore (2 months ago hard work would cause pain) :mrgreen: Actually nothing hurts, not even my back 8) So the cross training is working great along with calories from fat under 7%. Not bad for 67 :mrgreen:

That is too much work. There is no need to break a sweat. We ebikers dont break no sweat once-so-ever. The Lycra call us lazy, but is it really. Its actually smarter to ebike.

https://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/Stump-Grinder/SG1314B/
Stump grinder rental is $110 for 4 hours or spend an extra 40 to get a full 24hrs of fun.
While you have the machine, find out who else in your neighborhood would like their stump removed and charge $50 for it.
I do the exact same thing for stuff like aerating the lawn, power rake, shutdown sprinklers for the winter blowout, doing roof repair whether it be shingles or flat roofing tar, sealing driveways, pouring concrete work, the list goes on. I am not going to buy tools to those jobs, no I rent the tools, and chat up the neighborhood before I rent.

Dauntless said:
Any time I take out a stump in my yard it's with a pick ax. Chip pieces off until it's below the ground level.

Flippy is talking about sodium metabisulfite

Vinigar may work, but the above chemical is sold at Home Depot specifically for killing root systems.

We use it for dropping gold out of solution

1380704558896691-768x576.jpg
Fishing_0003-768x574.jpg
1416670195300127-768x574.jpg
Fishing_0035-768x574.jpg

Alternately, even if close to the garage, I would just pack it with some hot coal and run the leaf blower on it. This is how you hollow out a tree trunk to create a cup, bowl, boat, etc.

All ancient ways...

(put hot coal on wood, blow with straw. Once coal gets down inside, pack walls with mud, push straw down, blow on coal. Make blower out of bag with 2 flaps. One easy in, one easy out. Drill a hole thru wood REAL QUICK)

-methods

eee291 said:
[youtube]QpW20lY03iU[/youtube]

Oh yea . . . that was last night.
Forwarding this to my wife

-methods

3' away was another, smaller version, about 1/4 the size.
was able to dig it out in 20 minutes :D could barely cut the tap root with lopers, so i'm content to let #1 sit as a test. will vinegar kill it :?: stay tuned........ :bolt:

stump figured out there is a bag over its head and sent a shoot out the side :roll: :lol:

trash pickup came 3 minutes later - good service :lol:
as part of my continuing plan to beat diabetes by diet and violent exercise, i dug it out 8)
pulse was 144 and is now down to 110, so i'd say it was a great workout :mrgreen:
EDIT 5 min later pulse 73 :bolt:

[youtube]6RfAYnCxkK0[/youtube]

Back