E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Show off your E-bike creation here.
Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Sep 15 2019 9:00am

\ (•◡•) / wrote:
Sep 14 2019 11:40pm

the dual piston mt8's may not be enough power for a heavy bomber, however I have no experience with them.
If you're in the market for brakes i'd recommend going all out and making the big purchase of hope tech 3 v4's. There's a reason so many people run them, They have incredibly sturdy brake feel, will outlast any plastic brakes in a crash, they have all the stopping power you ever need, and excellent lever feel. Plus having them in a colour to match your bike is nice.
The brakes are also very modular, meaning if you break a lever you can just buy a new lever. If you go for the hope's you won't regret it. - I love mine.
Also if you get them, switch the sintered pads in straight away (they come with the brakes and are the gold coloured back plate pads). You can also get finned pads for them from uberbike

Edit*
I will concede though that the carbon mt8's are some of the coolest looking brakes, it looks like something off a lambo...
Thanks, I appreciate your recommendation. I've done a little research on Hope brakes, and they are pretty impressive. I have no doubt they're great brakes. I like the different colors they come in too. I'm going to consider them. Another brake high on my list are Shimano XT.

Honestly after sampling Magura mt2, and mt5 brakes I'm not that impressed with Magura, but one advantage they have in this case is all I would need to do to install the rear brake is to unscrew the caliper, and screw the new one onto the same brake hose.

Rix has me figured out though, it's not all about raw braking power. How they look with streamers takes preeminence over most other considerations.

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Sep 16 2019 10:15am

My rear brake was making noise. I guess that's normal when all the pad is gone, and it's just the back plate scraping on the disk. :(

1abv   1 kW

1 kW

Post by 1abv » Sep 17 2019 11:24am

Check out what material the pads are made of as well. There is quite a difference between the organic and sintered. If your doing big downhill the sintered are better but if your doing wet maybe organic is better. Mine are sintered and I notice the difference in stopping power for sure.

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Sep 18 2019 8:50am

I may have just solved all my braking troubles with new pads. I think the cheap ass pads I've been buying for a few years were the problem. These are the new ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pairs-High-Q ... 1438.l2649

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Sep 18 2019 9:05am

Since I probably won't need new brakes anymore, this is going to be my next victim. Up for pedaling, down for speed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Fox-Shox- ... 1438.l2649

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Sep 18 2019 10:29am

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Sep 18 2019 9:05am
Since I probably won't need new brakes anymore, this is going to be my next victim. Up for pedaling, down for speed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Fox-Shox- ... 1438.l2649
I love dropper seat posts, you will wonder how you got along with out it. Get the shortest one though. Can't chop the bottom of them to shorten.

KarlJ   100 W

100 W

Post by KarlJ » Sep 18 2019 11:26pm

what size is the stock post? Mine has a carbon one and its stuck hence i'll have to cut / chisel it out and replace.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Sep 19 2019 9:33am

KarlJ wrote:
Sep 18 2019 11:26pm
what size is the stock post? Mine has a carbon one and its stuck hence i'll have to cut / chisel it out and replace.
31.8mm is the diameter. It maybe 31.6mm, now I cant remember what I mic'd it at.

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Sep 19 2019 9:42am

Rix wrote:
Sep 18 2019 10:29am
I love dropper seat posts, you will wonder how you got along with out it. Get the shortest one though. Can't chop the bottom of them to shorten.
I'm with you about a short post. Fox offers the shortest one I've seen, which is 4". Even on the rare occasions when I lift my seat to pedal, I only raise it 3 or 4".

I'm preparing a list of excuses, I mean important reasons, to justify why I need a to spend over $300 on a seat post, for the supreme ruler, buffy.

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Sep 19 2019 9:44am

Rix wrote:
Sep 19 2019 9:33am
KarlJ wrote:
Sep 18 2019 11:26pm
31.8mm is the diameter. It maybe 31.6mm, now I cant remember what I mic'd it at.
Mine measures 31.6mm which I think is about the biggest diameter.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Sep 20 2019 1:39pm

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Sep 19 2019 9:42am
Rix wrote:
Sep 18 2019 10:29am
I'm with you about a short post. Fox offers the shortest one I've seen, which is 4". Even on the rare occasions when I lift my seat to pedal, I only raise it 3 or 4".

I'm preparing a list of excuses, I mean important reasons, to justify why I need a to spend over $300 on a seat post, for the supreme ruler, buffy.
This is the shortest dropper out there for our bikes size at 80mm or just over 3". https://www.jensonusa.com/KS-LEV-Droppe ... gLki_D_BwE

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Sep 20 2019 5:03pm

Thanks Rix, that looks like a real good one, but too late for this project. I already ordered a Fox 4" external one on eBay, plus a $50 Fox remote lever. Apprently for $300 you don't get no stinkin lever, or a cable, that's extra.

It gets good reviews though, and I have a lot of room under the seat tube because my shock doesn't have a remote reservoir. I'll be able to push the post all the way down. As a matter of fact I need the post to be sticking out below the frame tube, because my taillight is hardwired, and right now it's mounted under the seat. I'll need to relocate it somewhere else, and I'm planning to use the lower part of the seat post that'll be sticking out down there.

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Sep 20 2019 5:13pm

And one other thing is, Fox wants it to work equally good to, looking too sexy for your shirt. Of course we all know I'm not into looks that much, but some people are. :wink:

KarlJ   100 W

100 W

Post by KarlJ » Sep 20 2019 9:50pm

whats wrong with a quick release clamp $12 and 300mm seat post for all of $15?

Slimed up my tubes today -YAY #cheapinsurance vs Crazybob thin shit bring on punctures tyres.

Real pity you cant get a continental travelcontact in 24" wheel.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Sep 20 2019 10:58pm

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Sep 20 2019 5:03pm
Thanks Rix, that looks like a real good one, but too late for this project. I already ordered a Fox 4" external one on eBay, plus a $50 Fox remote lever. Apprently for $300 you don't get no stinkin lever, or a cable, that's extra.

It gets good reviews though, and I have a lot of room under the seat tube because my shock doesn't have a remote reservoir. I'll be able to push the post all the way down. As a matter of fact I need the post to be sticking out below the frame tube, because my taillight is hardwired, and right now it's mounted under the seat. I'll need to relocate it somewhere else, and I'm planning to use the lower part of the seat post that'll be sticking out down there.
I got one and really like it. It comes complete.

RhombusB52   100 µW

100 µW

Post by RhombusB52 » Sep 20 2019 11:05pm

So went to take the bomber for a ride the other day and there was no power when I turned the key. CA display was blank. Battery is half charged.

I decided to try and charge it but when I connect it to the charger the fan runs for about 3 seconds then turns off. The red power light is on and the green charged light is also on. I know it’s not fully charged.

I opened up the side panel and noticed that the red thin wire that loops in and out of the CA was cut. Don’t know if it was like that previously though.

Sorry for the blurry pics.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Sep 20 2019 11:11pm

So that red wire that was cut has nothing to do with the charging. The cut red wire just unrestricted the power. Most likely your XLR plug on the bike is melted. Some where between page 130 and 250 in this thread, I posted a pic of what mine looked like. I had to change to Anderson units to get my charger to work.
Last edited by Rix on Sep 20 2019 11:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Rix » Sep 20 2019 11:23pm

Rix wrote:
May 05 2013 11:49pm
Tech question for everyone. Back from a ride, burned 1391 watts. Went to charge the battery, and the charger would shut off after a couple of seconds. Popped off the cover on the frame, and while I was checking the battery charge wires to make sure it was plugged in, the charger started charger. So I was wiggling the charging wires around and discoverd I had a short coming out of the frame mounted 3 prong plug, looks like the mircophone plugs on my dads Peavey Amplifiers. So as I am wiggling wires connected to the frame mounted plug, the charger kept going on and off. So I unscrewed the 2mm allen bolts, pulled the plug out of the frame, cut the heat shrink, and holy shit, the plastic connectors was melted. I think its a simple fix. I want to wire the connectors to the battery directly to the charger. Problem is, the charger wires are not colored red and black wires, it has blue and tanish almost yellowish wires. The tanish yellowish wire plug into the the #1 prong post, and the blue plugs into the #2 prong post. #3 doesn't have nothing. Does anybody know which wire between the blue and tanish/yellowish wire is positive. I have alot of my tools and stuff in a rent a storage and don't have access to my test light. What my intentions are is to just wire the plug connecor directly to the charger and charge that way. Got a friend coming in from Austalia and got to get this up and going by Wednesday morning for a ride in Yosemite. Any and all advise is appreciated.

Rick
RhombusB52, above is my original post. See pics here. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23996&start=3650

RhombusB52   100 µW

100 µW

Post by RhombusB52 » Sep 20 2019 11:31pm

Rix wrote:So that red wire that was cut has nothing to do with the charging. The cut red wire just unrestricted the power. Most likely your XLR plug on the bike is melted. Some where between page 150 and 250 in this thread, I posted a pic of what mine looked like. I had to change to Anderson units to get my charger to work.
Thanks for your quick reply Rix.

I’ll have a look into it.

RhombusB52   100 µW

100 µW

Post by RhombusB52 » Sep 20 2019 11:51pm

Rix wrote:
Rix wrote:
May 05 2013 11:49pm
Tech question for everyone. Back from a ride, burned 1391 watts. Went to charge the battery, and the charger would shut off after a couple of seconds. Popped off the cover on the frame, and while I was checking the battery charge wires to make sure it was plugged in, the charger started charger. So I was wiggling the charging wires around and discoverd I had a short coming out of the frame mounted 3 prong plug, looks like the mircophone plugs on my dads Peavey Amplifiers. So as I am wiggling wires connected to the frame mounted plug, the charger kept going on and off. So I unscrewed the 2mm allen bolts, pulled the plug out of the frame, cut the heat shrink, and holy shit, the plastic connectors was melted. I think its a simple fix. I want to wire the connectors to the battery directly to the charger. Problem is, the charger wires are not colored red and black wires, it has blue and tanish almost yellowish wires. The tanish yellowish wire plug into the the #1 prong post, and the blue plugs into the #2 prong post. #3 doesn't have nothing. Does anybody know which wire between the blue and tanish/yellowish wire is positive. I have alot of my tools and stuff in a rent a storage and don't have access to my test light. What my intentions are is to just wire the plug connecor directly to the charger and charge that way. Got a friend coming in from Austalia and got to get this up and going by Wednesday morning for a ride in Yosemite. Any and all advise is appreciated.

Rick
RhombusB52, above is my original post. See pics here. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23996&start=3650
Thanks for all the info Rix.

I’ll open the cover and check it out.

KarlJ   100 W

100 W

Post by KarlJ » Sep 24 2019 6:57pm

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Sep 18 2019 8:50am
I may have just solved all my braking troubles with new pads. I think the cheap ass pads I've been buying for a few years were the problem. These are the new ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pairs-High-Q ... 1438.l2649
Thanking you!

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Sep 24 2019 11:11pm

Lalalalala, I love my bike, I love my bike, I like my bike, I love my bike, I love my bike,

KarlJ   100 W

100 W

Post by KarlJ » Sep 25 2019 1:17am

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Sep 24 2019 11:11pm
Lalalalala, I love my bike, I love my bike, I like my bike, I love my bike, I love my bike,
Where can i get those mudguards?
Last edited by KarlJ on Sep 25 2019 1:18am, edited 1 time in total.

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Sep 25 2019 8:29am

KarlJ wrote:
Sep 25 2019 1:17am
Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Sep 24 2019 11:11pm
Where can i get those mudguards?
They're sort of a custom install. They're offered by Electra Bicycles, which has been bought out by Trek, but it looks like they're still going to be available. You'll have to fabricate custom mounts.

The front came from this set.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... Code=black

I cut the rear down from this set. You can use the rear fender that comes with the first set if you'd rather, but it's even shorter than mine.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... Code=black

The mounts are pretty easy to fabricate. If you get that far and need help I'll give you more details about how to make them.

Theodore Voltaire   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Sep 25 2019 3:08pm

Here's an exclusive, just for us, first look from inside the secretive biknut skunk works of my new Fox Dropper external 4" seat post. Not fully installed yet, lacking the cable, and lever. This is all the way down. Not quite as low as I would like, but haven't tried it yet. I don't think you could use this post with a stock shock with remote reservoir, without the post sitting very high in the frame. The one in Rix link would definitely fit better, and best as I can tell, I'm not going to be able to use the full 4" lift with the seat sitting this high when it's all the way down.