Build 5: Black Bullet- KMX Typhoon Tadpole Trike

parajared said:
Ok, I have done several test runs of the Skull Valley Loop with the Black Bullet now.
With 17lbs of lithium I'm hitting around 2:30
With 24lbs of lithium I'm hitting around 2:15
With 26lbs of lithium I'm getting just under two hours

I guess the question now is should I leave the athletes in the dust or just ride slow and let them finish first? Last year's best time was set by Paul Fabian at 2:15.

Normally I'd say no mercy, 26 lbs, since I'm competitive. However, the "Vibe" of the ride, as described, is not a race, but an opportunity to ride, chat, and support each other, so maybe 24 lbs, and keep something in reserve, in case someone turns it into a race :D

I'd bring 26 pounds, and then decide how you feel during the event. Their website now says:
For 2019, in response to requests, the Skull Valley Loop Challenge will allow riders on electric pedal assist bikes to participate.

So you have chosen, destruction.

24c51813-45cb-4d25-b44e-64547d98d2a3.jpg

Oh my. A couple of observations on what I think I saw.
  • Looks like your pace had you passing the pace car/truck, which I guess stayed back with the rest of the pack?
  • Looks like at 3:20 you made a tire repair? And I didn't notice you pass anyone after the repair, which means you were so far out front that you had plenty of time.

The ride/route looks really nice, as long as it isn't too hot. :D

yeah a good 20 minutes faster than the 2nd place rider lol, I just couldn't help myself.
"You are going to burn up your battery trying to go faster than us on the hills" "your motor will break if you try to keep up" "you should start in the back so you don't interfere with the 'fast' riders" "you should stick with the other electric bikes, our recovery vehicle can't carry your bike if you fall out" "Oh yeah, the inclusion of e-bikes is a good thing because human powered riders will now have an extra level of pride knowing that they finished faster than electrics" said the organizer.

I had to change a flat partway through the ride. Mr Toughy tire liners are pretty good about most everything but those needle sized metal slivers (steel belted tire radials?) seem to be the Achilles heel.

parajared said:
yeah a good 20 minutes faster than the 2nd place rider lol, I just couldn't help myself.
"You are going to burn up your battery trying to go faster than us on the hills" "your motor will break if you try to keep up" "you should start in the back so you don't interfere with the 'fast' riders" "you should stick with the other electric bikes, our recovery vehicle can't carry your bike if you fall out" "Oh yeah, the inclusion of e-bikes is a good thing because human powered riders will now have an extra level of pride knowing that they finished faster than electrics" said the organizer.

I had to change a flat partway through the ride. Mr Toughy tire liners are pretty good about most everything but those needle sized metal slivers (steel belted tire radials?) seem to be the Achilles heel.

OK, with that kind of trash talk, I'm glad you showed no mercy!!! Hmm....should ask the organizer, what's the opposite of pride...

E-HP said:
parajared said:

OK, with that kind of trash talk, I'm glad you showed no mercy!!! Hmm....should ask the organizer, what's the opposite of pride...
Totally agreed; unbelievable! So much for their "relaxed group ride" attitude! Excellent job on the thorough domination :D

Back