Would this make a good donor bike?

transposon

100 W
Hello,

I have a 26" 1000W rear hub motor that I would like to install. I was wondering if this bike would make a good candidate:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/sedona-dx-2015

It would be the 2015 model. Any idea on a fair used price if it is in like new condition?

This is a comfort bike rather than a mountain bike. My plan is to average around 20 mph and bike for long distances once in a while. Up about 60miles occasionally.

transposon said:
Hello,

I have a 26" 1000W rear hub motor that I would like to install. I was wondering if this bike would make a good candidate:

It would be the 2015 model. Any idea on a fair used price if it is in good condition?

This is a comfort bike rather than a mountain bike. My plan is to average around 20 mph and bike for long distances once in a while. Up about 60miles occasionally.

Personally I'd pass since the frame doesn't appear to support disc brakes. Even if you don't need them now, it would be good to have the option for a future upgrade. For the speed you'll be riding though, the linear pull will be adequate, although the crappy rims that come with the kits may or may not work well when wet.

E-HP said:
transposon said:
Hello,

It would be the 2015 model. Any idea on a fair used price if it is in good condition?

Personally I'd pass since the frame doesn't appear to support disc brakes. Even if you don't need them now, it would be good to have the option for a future upgrade. For the speed you'll be riding though, the linear pull will be adequate, although the crappy rims that come with the kits may or may not work well when wet.

I know very little about disc brakes, but in the picture, I see what appear to be mounting holes on the bottom of the front fork. Are those not disc brake mount holes?

transposon said:
E-HP said:
transposon said:
Hello,

I know very little about disc brakes, but in the picture, I see what appear to be mounting holes on the bottom of the front fork. Are those not disc brake mount holes?

yes. the frame has no mount for the rear brake.

transposon said:
Ah, I see what you meant. Thanks for the input.

Buy a used good condition 2005-2008 mtb, they will still use quick release axle.
These trash tier bike shaped objects aren't half as good new as the others made 10 years ago.

This is hardly a BSO, all the parts are of a reasonable quality and there's no anachronisms like a candle seatpost or skylark clone derailleur. It's an acceptable entry level (if grandpa-ish) bike but I'd still start with something second hand anyway.

Having a setup with front disc and rear rim brakes is workable. The front brake does all the real work anyway. I've used high end rear cable operated rim brakes, or there are even hydraulic rear rim brakes which I haven't tried.

But a front hydraulic disc is a really good idea. Or a really good cable disc.

transposon said:
khorse said:
but I'd still start with something second hand anyway.

This would be a supposedly lightly used bike. I am unsure of what an appropriate asking price would be though.

I'd offer $100, since there are so many other options, and it's an entry level bike (at least is was 25 years ago when the frame was still steel).

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/d/windsor-giant-sedona-bike/6993235766.html

I'd offer $100, since there are so many other options, and it's an entry level bike (at least is was 25 years ago when the frame was still steel).

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/d/windsor-giant-sedona-bike/6993235766.html

OK, that sounds more reasonable. This bike is the DX version though, so maybe it's worth a bit more. He is asking $250 which sounds unreasonable even if it is a 2015 model with light use. The issue for me is finding a bike with a 22" frame. Used ones don't seem to be that plentiful.

transposon said:

OK, that sounds more reasonable. He is asking $250 which sounds unreasonable even if it is a 2015 model with light use.

I noticed the prices for these are all over, and most are asking too much relative to the used market. I think its the nature of the people that buy these types of bikes and feeling they can get something closer to what they paid for them, which ignores supply and demand. Those higher prices eventually inch themselves down as they realize they can't get those prices. When you look at everything that's available, you may see $2000 bikes going for the same asking price, which is the other end of the spectrum, where the seller is getting rid of their bike to get the next best thing.

I set Craigslist searches to $4 minimum, and $150 maximum, to see the huge range in quality, including high end bikes and cheap Walmart crap. $4 cuts out the riff raff, since a lot of folks don't put in a price for expensive bikes.
An example of what comes up, that I might consider:
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/d/el-dorado-hills-2-attack-30-mountain/6992464344.html

khorse said:
V-Brakes with very good cables and pads are fine.

That's my observation from having used lots of different brakes. Disc brakes can feel nice, but they don't stop more safely or effectively than good working V-brakes.

I have had v-brakes on my e-bikes for 7+ years in 100% city riding. I keep them well adjusted, like about once per week adjustment. They lock up my wheels just fine when I grab them hard. Although, I never ride in the rain if I can help it.

As for a large donor bike, just keep looking. One of my bikes is a vintage Trek 8500 with a 21 inch frame. It also has nice big flat dropouts in the rear perfect for a torque arm. And, yes, it has v-brakes. I got it for $85.00 USA. Newer 8500 models have disk brakes on them. Giant Anthem's tend to be on the large size, but much more expensive.

:D :bolt:

Balmorhea said:
khorse said:
V-Brakes with very good cables and pads are fine.

That's my observation from having used lots of different brakes. Disc brakes can feel nice, but they don't stop more safely or effectively than good working V-brakes.

It is partly a function of how much maintenance you want to do. On an ebike the miles rack up fast, plus the average speeds are higher so the rim brakes may consume a lot more of your time keeping them working right. It also depends on whether you ride in wet weather much, or if you ride aggressively and stop hard a lot. Ebikes tend to get more use and abuse, so things that are just fine on a regular bike may wear out quickly and/or require adjustment too frequently on an ebike. The discs do modulate nicely. It partly depends on whether you want to ride, or fiddle with your bike, and it also depends on your average speed and frequency of stops. Consider how you will use it and let that guide your decision.

In the end it is a personal choice. I find that rim brakes like to squeal, wear the rim and get it dirty, and some folks report they have worn out rims pretty quickly. The disc brakes just seem to work every day without fuss. If you have good regen the brake pads last a lot longer, regardless of what type you have.

Thanks everyone for such great feedback! Are disc brakes something that can be fixed while on the road if I were to bring spare parts?

transposon said:
Thanks everyone for such great feedback! Are disc brakes something that can be fixed while on the road if I were to bring spare parts?
Yes, most anything on a bike can be fixed on the road if you have the parts and tools. How heavy do you expect to go? If you want to carry a lot of stuff, also consider a trailer.

:D :bolt:

Any bicycle will work, but is just any ole bike a good donor bike? Well if you want dependability, then stay away from Department store brands. A step up from those are places like BikesDirect.com which only ships to USA addresses.

An affordable option is to buy a used brand name bicycle. See below.

Next would be to buy new from your local bicycle store brands like:
Trek, Giant and Norco are the entry level bicycle brands.
The better brands would be: Specialized, Kona, Rocky Mountain, Marin, KHS, Norco, Santa Cruz, Surly, Gary Fisher.

Your Giant Sedona bicycle looks like a solid choice. Front suspension is good to have, but make sure it is a decent front suspension fork and not an entry level fork. Disc brakes on the front is all you need. For extra braking you could use regen braking for a rear hub motor. Buy a triangle bag for the battery as the weight distribution would be better.

transposon said:
Are disc brakes something that can be fixed while on the road if I were to bring spare parts?

Cable discs are about equivalent to rim brakes in terms of fixing them on the road. Hydraulics are not a good choice if field repairability is important to you.

I didn't realize you could have both. Thanks!

They just counter offered for $150. Decisions, decisions. Sadl it looks like it has the combo brake and shifters, so I would have to put in new separate shifters so I can use the brake levers that cut the power to the motor. Not sure if it's worth the work.

You can add switches to existing brake levers, or do without the switches.

You could have the added disc brake have a switch, but leave the stock one without.

You will have to find an arrangement to have both sets of brake levers, it may get crowded.

You may need to change rear shifters anyway to match the gearing you put on a rear hubmotor if you do that.

You may want better brakes than came on the bike anyway.

Alan B said:
You can add switches to existing brake levers, or do without the switches.

You could have the added disc brake have a switch, but leave the stock one without.

You will have to find an arrangement to have both sets of brake levers, it may get crowded.

You may need to change rear shifters anyway to match the gearing you put on a rear hubmotor if you do that.

You may want better brakes than came on the bike anyway.

How can I add switches to the existing brake levers?! You guys are fountains of information!

Back