la Nina rears her ugly head

POPPET FLATS RAWS 32 MPH 1014 AM 09/24

Winds here at the house NNE @ 15-25, gusty and extremely dry. Surprised no Red Flag Warning has been issued by the NWS. Also glad that CA route 243 is closed past Poppet Flats and that the 100+ degree F days appear to be over; but it is still going to be a long, windy, scary night of fire danger in most of SoCali. :twisted:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/fire_wx/

Detailed Forecast
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 68. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Wednesday
A slight chance of showers after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 92. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Wednesday Night
A chance of showers, mainly after 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 63. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Thursday
A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 82. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Thursday Night
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 60. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light west in the evening.
Friday
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 83.
Friday Night
A slight chance of showers after 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 58. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Saturday
A slight chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.
Saturday Night
A slight chance of showers before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 54.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.
Sunday Night
Patchy fog. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 50.
Monday
Patchy fog. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 77.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 50.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 81.

El Niño Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
************************************* :|

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/hemet/92543/hourly-weather-forecast/337079

After being drowned a few days ago, we have only had some drizzle here and there, heavy sprinkles for a few minutes now and then, while the major storms have passed to either west or east of the central valley. There's still a 50% chance today / 30% tonight for more.

Then suddenly we'll be clear skies, in the mid 80s F for highs, and mid 60s for lows, jumping basically 20F from what it had been just a month or less ago. Unusual, as it is usually about 10F "steps" over longer periods.

ID STATION PRECIP(IN) ELEVATION(FT)

SDHET HEMET VALLE VISTA 0.01 2050

Wifey said it rained a little around 10:am while I was at work. Flood warning issued by NWS, so looking for more. :eek:

We had a mini heat wave here with two days of 98F heat, then it cooled off drastically today and barely reached 70. There was a chance of rain, but it evaporated. Snow is expected above 5000 feet around Lake Tahoe tomorrow. The drastic temperature change over two days was unusual. Normal highs this time of year are about 80F.

.RIVERSIDE COUNTY VALLEYS-THE INLAND EMPIRE...

NO PRECIPITATION REPORTED

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
:twisted:

El Niño Rain Gage
************************************* :|

A tiny amount of mist on the way to work, not enough to turn the windshield wipers on. :(

My son visited from Idaho last weekend. On his trip here, he drove through a dust storm in Nevada that was so dense he couldn't see the road in spot. From there he passed through the Sierras and had heavy snowfall around Donner Pass. Then into Sacramento where he was pounded by a severe thunderstorm and hail (quite rare around here). And after leaving Sacramento, saw dozens of cars pulled over on the freeway all taking pictures of something behind him. It was a tornado. Must drive faster.... Tornado actually touched down right about where he was 10 minutes earlier.
Video: https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather-news/article235638812.html

Well, crazy weather everywhere. The official rain season starts today. I'll have to check my records to see what the total was here for last season.

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=CAZ048&warncounty=CAC065&firewxzone=CAZ248&local_place1=7%20Miles%20ESE%20Hemet%20CA&product1=Fire+Weather+Watch&lat=33.694&lon=-116.8763#.XZvS9CVlDYU :flame: :shock: :twisted:

Now it's official:

After days of warning, Pacific Gas & Electric confirmed Tuesday afternoon that 800,000 customers across 34 California counties would be left in the dark starting at midnight.

The utility planned the shut-off as a precaution due to high wildfire risk.

"The power will be turned off to communities in stages, depending on local timing of the severe wind conditions, beginning with counties in the northern part of the state," PG&E said in a statement.

PG&E said it would communicate with affected customers directly via automated calls, texts and emails. It also created a map of affected areas, which you can check for your neighborhood. PG&E's site was intermittently down Tuesday, so we've put some of the maps in the gallery at the top of this story.

PG&E said the shutoffs would begin starting just after midnight early Wednesday morning. PG&E meteorologists forecast high winds to last until mid-day Thursday, but power could be out for several days longer.

"Before restoring power, PG&E must inspect its equipment for damage and make any necessary repairs. That process cannot begin until the severe weather event has subsided," the company said.

I have a 48v sine wave inverter that can run off my bike batteries :wink:

Power is still on at my house but several areas nearby are dark. Funny thing is there really isn’t much wind. I think the power utility is messing with people and doing a really good job of making a lot of people angry.

Still not really windy here but the power is still off in a lot of areas.

What this smells like is a solution that was devised by lawyers and not engineers.

Still no wind around my house. A little breezy in SF, but nothing resembling a "major wind event". The humidity is very low though. Most of the areas around me that had their power cut are inhabited by some pretty wealthy people, so I expect there to be some serious backlash when this is over. If I had enough money I'd get a huge battery bank and enough solar panels to live off the grid.

No rain in the 10-day forecast.

Detailed Forecast
Today
Sunny, with a high near 79. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Tonight
Areas of blowing dust after 11pm. Mostly clear, with a low around 53. Breezy, with a northeast wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph.
Friday
Areas of blowing dust before 11am. Sunny, with a high near 80. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light northeast.

Calm before the storm? :?

Detailed Forecast
Overnight
Clear, with a low around 54. Calm wind.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 87. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Tuesday Night
Clear, with a low around 58. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 89. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 57. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 81.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 49.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 80.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 51.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 80.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 52.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 82.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 54.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 83.

It has been fall for weeks and the strange thing is no rain. We are in extreme drought in one of the wettest months. Another one for the record books seems like we are breaking records monthly now. Guess the new normal is nothing is the same.

My last rain was in May. Now forecast shows a chance
Wednesday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. West wind 6 to 10 mph. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Then back to sunny and warm. Things are very dry now.

Back