Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Jasonjm said:
Ok I ordered all the parts for tubeless except maybe for the strap. I'm a bit confused what the strap is for anyways?

I ordered a strap but not sure if it will work like one suggested

Part that confuses me the most is how am I going to get air in the tire fast enough to make it seal? Without a tube?

That is what the strap is for. The idea is the strap will compress the tire enough for it to make an initial seal. Be careful as the strap will be under a great deal of strain. Just fill it enough for the bead to seal before removing it.

Jasonjm said:
Do I need to buy an air compressor too?

I used one and is probably best. But you could probably take the tire somewhere to get it filled if you didn't want to buy a compressor.

After almost 9 months of riding and no flats I ran 3 in three weeks, all of them due to that the valve got damage. So the I installed a rim lock and now I can run without flats again, the parts doesn't cost that much so it's highly recommended.

lol im ordering all this stuff to my bike in italy.... lol

hard to find the exact right things

bought a cheapo air compressor hopefully it works!

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0791B1WJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jasonjm said:
which rim lock fits the surr ron rims if you dont mind? thx

Unfortunately the mx shop were I got it doesn't have a online shop but the rim lock is specified for a 1,6" rim and I payed like 10 bucks for it. I run it together with a racerback 70/100 tire. If you use the article number and manf. name you might be able to find other shops that sell it.

https://imgshare.io/image/WAswt

Cheburator said:
Can you go tubeless with stock tyres or need to change them?

I didn't use the stock tires, but I see no reason why they wouldn't work.

do you guys reckon storm bee will have rim locks? lol

I am riding around with my light bee at 25 PSI front and rear - and no valve stem tears in 5 rides now. was previously running around 19-20 PSI when I kept getting valve stem tears.

I weigh 200 lbs.

definitely less traction the steep hills at 25 PSI, and bike is way more squirrely at speed on sand, but worth it if i don't get stranded in the middle of nowhere every day.

anyone have any idea of storm bee pricing?

damn.... 270 lbs. that is not light. basically storm bee = alta redshift? with hopefully some improvements? like much better battery run time and faster charging

Jasonjm said:
do you guys reckon storm bee will have rim locks? lol

I am riding around with my light bee at 25 PSI front and rear - and no valve stem tears in 5 rides now. was previously running around 19-20 PSI when I kept getting valve stem tears.

I weigh 200 lbs.

definitely less traction the steep hills at 25 PSI, and bike is way more squirrely at speed on sand, but worth it if i don't get stranded in the middle of nowhere every day.

Havent done it yet but ill be using tubliss - atleast on the rear tire. Works great on my stealth, and lets you run whatever pressure you want (even 0psi). It's a bit heavy compared to thin tubes and requires some modification to fit the narrower rims but well worth it imo.

sn0wchyld said:
Havent done it yet but ill be using tubliss - atleast on the rear tire. Works great on my stealth, and lets you run whatever pressure you want (even 0psi). It's a bit heavy compared to thin tubes and requires some modification to fit the narrower rims but well worth it imo.

You can't run 0 psi tubeless on the Sur Ron - at least with the stock rims. It requires pressure for the bead to seal (which is the only tricky part with the conversion). I have been running tubeless for over a year and not a single issue - but I'm running at around ~12psi.

Also, I am using about 4oz of sealant, so it actually weighs less than a standard inner tube, and much less than the heavy duty ones I was running before going tubeless.

3DTOPO said:
sn0wchyld said:

You can't run 0 psi tubeless on the Sur Ron - at least with the stock rims. It requires pressure for the bead to seal (which is the only tricky part with the conversion). I have been running tubeless for over a year and not a single issue - but I'm running at around ~12psi.

Also, I am using about 4oz of sealant, so it actually weighs less than a standard inner tube, and much less than the heavy duty ones I was running before going tubeless.

tubliss - not tube less... its a specific product that lets you run 0 psi (it uses a small 100psi inner tube to give a bead seal)

edit
[youtube]SUpqm8O6kOc[/youtube]

I don't have the tubliss system on my Sur-Ron but I do on two of my trail bikes. It works as a beadlock and a tubeless system. You can hook-up on just about any surface. It really is a great setup.

sn0wchyld said:
tubliss - not tube less... its a specific product that lets you run 0 psi (it uses a small 100psi inner tube to give a bead seal)

Ah - gotcha - neat-o.

But I think I'll stick with an actual tubeless setup - I really don't need to run lower than 12psi, and I could probably run at 6psi if I wanted...

3DTOPO said:
sn0wchyld said:

Ah - gotcha - neat-o.

But I think I'll stick with an actual tubeless setup - I really don't need to run lower than 12psi, and I could probably run at 6psi if I wanted...

yea normal tubless is still really good - i just like the idea of A, if I do get a puncture (unlikely) I can still ride home easily and B, Sharp/hard impacts wont pinch flat (inner tube acts like a bumper) and even if it somehow does, refer to A...
:D
Tubless would be a bit lighter too, so makes even more sence on the front where impacts are typically a bit less.

Can someone tell me plz what this connector is good for, maybe how the wiring works there and if I need this connection to go to my sabvoton 72200 controller. That would help a lot, the sur-ron wiring diagram is not the best.

ece0aa-1571324121.jpeg

Cheers guys

any of you get the feeling that the storm bee might be more capable for sand, hill climbs, and open areas, or mx tracks.

but in technical singletrack? I have not ridden anything nearly as fun as the sur ron light bee in singletrack, its about as fun as my DH mountain bike was for that on the down, and about 100x more fun than the DH mountain bike on the up.

storm bee - 270 lbs in tight techy steep singletrack will not be fun. Kind of dissapointed, I was honestly hoping for the 150 lbs range.

I am starting to think I would rather pickup a 2nd luna sur ron black edition, get quality rims including a 21 inch front (which ironically would have a bigger front and a bigger rear than the storm bee then), get better break pads and front rotor, and luna is working on a upgraded battery pack for the surron light bee I think

Will still be cheaper than storm bee by lot.

Jasonjm said:
any of you get the feeling that the storm bee might be more capable for sand, hill climbs, and open areas, or mx tracks.

but in technical singletrack? I have not ridden anything nearly as fun as the sur ron light bee in singletrack, its about as fun as my DH mountain bike was for that on the down, and about 100x more fun than the DH mountain bike on the up.

storm bee - 270 lbs in tight techy steep singletrack will not be fun. Kind of dissapointed, I was honestly hoping for the 150 lbs range.

I am starting to think I would rather pickup a 2nd luna sur ron black edition, get quality rims including a 21 inch front (which ironically would have a bigger front and a bigger rear than the storm bee then), get better break pads and front rotor, and luna is working on a upgraded battery pack for the surron light bee I think

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. At first I was thrilled about the Storm Bee until I saw its reported weight. Whereas the Light Bee is a nearly perfect weight (but it would be aboslutley out of this world at say 80-90 pounds for the same capabilities).

I think I am more into the idea of upgrading my X-controller, battery pack and possibly sourcing/building carbon components to get the power up and weight down opposed to buying the Storm Bee. I doubt the Storm will cost less than $5k, for that kind of money, one could do a lot.

I wish someone was selling a carbon frame for it. It would be fun to make one (I have a CNC machine large enough to carve out any molding for it), but of course it would be quite time consuming.

I bet between going with a carbon frame, handlebars, swing arm and bike front wheel (possibly rear too), 10-15 pounds could probably be cut off.

i think you making a mistake. the sur ron is almost too light for some obstacles, it has barely enough weight to plough throw stuff, it gets defelcted way more easily than a full moto bike.

once you make it weigh less, especally in the wheels, it is going to deflect off everything, plough through nothing. I would smash a carbon rim and mountain bike wheel in about 5 minutes on the trails im riding on my surron. nevermind the mountain bike tires would have no grip compared to moto knobs.

unless you just running mellow fire road type trails with no rocks at all, then you will be good with a super light bike build.

I too wish the Storm Bee was down around 220lbs, that would be a competitive weight. Taking weight out of it will probably be a big challenge though.

I also wouldn't want to lighten the Light Bee but rather get some real suspension to handle additional battery capacity so I could run the motor nearer it's limits. The rear mounted batteries one person on this thread did were brilliant. An all-up weight around 150lbs is still extremely light for a motorcycle.

Grantmac said:
I too wish the Storm Bee was down around 220lbs, that would be a competitive weight. Taking weight out of it will probably be a big challenge though.

I also wouldn't want to lighten the Light Bee but rather get some real suspension to handle additional battery capacity so I could run the motor nearer it's limits. The rear mounted batteries one person on this thread did were brilliant. An all-up weight around 150lbs is still extremely light for a motorcycle.

150#, now you are talking about the Cake Kalk, and I can tell you from personal experience, its an awesome machine.

IggyPi said:
Can someone tell me plz what this connector is good for, maybe how the wiring works there and if I need this connection to go to my sabvoton 72200 controller. That would help a lot, the sur-ron wiring diagram is not the best.

ece0aa-1571324121.jpeg

Cheers guys

Literature says that the battery has 4 temp sensors. Also, the battery gauge lights up on the battery when you turn the key on. These are only clues I have as to what those wires actually do. Hopefully someone else will chime in....

Jasonjm said:

I'm with you. I've been riding my normal dirt bike less and less and the Sur ron more and more as I've been taking it out on some gnarly singletrack. The size and weight of it is nearly perfect for tackling tough obstacles that would almost certainly be a real b***ch on my regular bike - like these root ledge things I was encountering on some new trail I found last week. Basically where roots or rocks were across the trail on really steep sections and it made like a foot high or so step / ledge in the middle of the uphill. The Sur Ron is like a trials bike and I could wheely it just enough to clear the steps, and if I messed up I just put my feet down and try again and/or could pick the bike up lift it over the obstacle or turn it right around easily on a steep hill. My dirt bike would likely stall out or tip over and flood, and then I'd have to drag it around to get it situated to be able to turn around and go down to a good spot to come back and try again, etc. Much more effort to do that when the bike is taller and more than twice the weight.

So I could see getting the new Storm Bee if you are riding stuff with jumps / whoops that needs a more MX style suspension, but for me I'd rather do like Jasonjm and get a 2nd light bee. I should have picked up one of the Rockshox versions so then I'd have better forks, plus an extra battery.

Back