Tsdz2 firmware open source adapted to vlcd5, vlcd6 and xh18

Ackmaniac said:
Just forked the repository and added my changes. Also added a pull request to stancokes repository. Feel free to give it a try.
Features are
Changes from battery current to motor current as the main control loop.
Range of the torque sensor is set to a maximum. Old firmware only supported 32 ADC steps. Don't know where the ADC is in idle but if it is in the middle (128) then there are 127 steps to 255 instead of only 32.so you should feel a steady increase in output power when you add more power.
Errors are now also.shown after a mode change. Also overtemperature error E06 will start to blink when the temperature power reduction has started and become solid when the max temperature is reached.

Thanks for this! I'm coming from 19c-037 and your firmware feels like a breath of fresh air. I totally understand what you mean about "not knowing the motor is there". It's so smooth now! It might be placebo but it also feels a lot quieter overall.

I agree flufferty. :thumb:

I'm only using it at low power with a 48V 500W motor on a cyclocross bike used for commuting on sealed road with VLCD5 display.

Hi I gave this firmware a try as I fried one of my KT-LCD3.

I was testing the temperature using the throttle in. When I connect it, it shows E06. Is this what it's supposed to do (not under load, just sitting there)?

Is Ackmaniac's update meant for 36v motors? I am a bit hesitant to try in case there's some type of a bug again that might fry the circuits :roll:

Badmotor said:
..36v motors? ...
.....a bug again that might fry the circuits...
Marcoqs configurator let you set up 36V or 48V. The controllers are the same so no change of frying the circuits of it. If you setup 48V for a 36V motor and keep the power low as for 36V, the current will be lower with lesser chance for frying the copper.
The problem with custom firmware is the amount of settings that you can choose. It is easy to configure higher power the motor can handle. But it is possible to use a temperature sensor that can prevent frying the motor.

Can someone answer me about the E06 temperature issue? When I connect the wires I get E06. However, I am testing it by installing through a cut throttle and into the VLCD5 itself. Why would this matter? I've tested the wires and they are correct (5v where it should be, etc).

Basically will the temp monitor only work if spliced into the motor cable instead of throttle cable?

For the record I've had another VLCD5 apart when I soldered in a KTLCD3 in the past. Inside the removable portion of the VLCD5 where the wires go in is a little circuit board that routes the brakes and throttle to the correct inputs. This is why I figure it should work... but evidently not. Just curious as to why this is the case.

When you see E06 then that means that the overtemperture is reached.
Just test your temp sensor with a multimeter what it gives at the signal pin. It should be actual temperature multiplied by 10 in mv.
So 230mv means 23 degrees.
Problem with the recommended temp sensor is that there are too many fake in the world. Seems like some chines manufacturer produced another IC and labeled it wrong. I bought 2 from ebay and they were something else as well. Had to buy a propper one from a trusted place like mouser, conrad or digikey.

flufferty said:
Ackmaniac said:
Just forked the repository and added my changes. Also added a pull request to stancokes repository. Feel free to give it a try.
Features are
Range of the torque sensor is set to a maximum. Old firmware only supported 32 ADC steps. Don't know where the ADC is in idle but if it is in the middle (128) then there are 127 steps to 255 instead of only 32.so you should feel a steady increase in output power when you add more power.
Errors are now also.shown after a mode change. Also overtemperature error E06 will start to blink when the temperature power reduction has started and become solid when the max temperature is reached.

Thanks for this! I'm coming from 19c-037 and your firmware feels like a breath of fresh air. I totally understand what you mean about "not knowing the motor is there". It's so smooth now! It might be placebo but it also feels a lot quieter overall.

Thx for testing. Great that you like it.

I also see that power assist for level 3 doesn't work. (errror is also in marcos version)
If you step up from level 2 it is the same power as on level 2 and if you step down from level 4 it stays at the power of level 4.

I fixed the error in my repository.
https://github.com/AckmaniacSoftware/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-compatible-with-original-VlCD6-display

flufferty said:
Ackmaniac said:
Features are

flufferty did

Ackmaniac said:
I also see that power assist for level 3 doesn't work. (errror is also in marcos version)
If you step up from level 2 it is the same power as on level 2 and if you step down from level 4 it stays at the power of level 4.

https://github.com/AckmaniacSoftware/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-compatible-with-original-VlCD6-display

Does throttle work in your firmware or is it for temp sensor only ? I have neither. But planning to install throttle soon.

Badmotor said:
Ackmaniac said:

Does throttle work in your firmware or is it for temp sensor only ? I have neither. But planning to install throttle soon.

i believe there is only 1 analog input

Could be the Throttle or it could be the temp sensor; not both. afaik

But, with some creativity it could be both.
Install throttle on the Analog input. configure that.

And mount a tempsensor on the motor, read the temp with an Arduino.
and manipulate the E-brake switch input (also with arduino) to cut off the drive.

Such a circuitboard i use on my wood stove to trigger the Heat fan
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-He...879722?hash=item546da67a6a:g:q-MAAOSwoPpaXaeN

Ackmaniac said:

Thanks Ackmania for reporting the bug .... four eyes are better than two :)

Your welcome,
there is also a bug that it doesn't show error codes anymore when a drive mode was changed. I fixed that already in my changes. So please have a look for that as well.

Guys can you help please, after the last update of Ackmaniac repo, i feel like the motor lost some power.

Also there almost no difference of the motor power between 1st 2nd and 3rd ( e-mtb ) assist levels. Only 4th makes me a rocket :flame: And walk-assist stopped working. ( I tried to select walk-assist off delay, i thought it should help to remove delay before assist start )

And i really don't feel any difference in the motor behavior between 2nd assist level ( normal mode ) and 3rd assist level ( e-mtb mode ) and this feel was the same even before this update.

Before i used 0.3.6 of Marcoq with the same config as shown on the screenshot below. With new Ackmaniac version i use same settings.

a69c05aab5a60a6ed089826148999655.png

2 days ago i fixed the bug when you switch from 2nd to 3rd. And give it a try without EMTB mode.

Here is a screenshot of the settings i use. But be aware that i have a 14S battery. So it might be better to use lower "Motor over Speed ERPS" when you have a 13S or 10S battery.
2019-10-18 10_06_16-TSDZ2 Controller's Parameters Configurator.jpg

Ackmaniac said:
2 days ago i fixed the bug when you switch from 2nd to 3rd. And give it a try without EMTB mode.

Here is a screenshot of the settings i use. But be aware that i have a 14S battery. So it might be better to use lower "Motor over Speed ERPS" when you have a 13S or 10S battery.

Ackmaniac, I tested your version and the motor feels really smooth. But eMTB mode doesn't seem to be working, however strong or fast I was pushing the pedals, assistance wouldn't be more than at 1st level. I have the latest version from Oct 16th. When I turned off eMTB mode, the 3rd level worked as it should. Also the walk assist function doesn't work at all, I'm not using the Off Delay mode. I have a 36v motor and VLCD6.

Thx for the info, i will have a look.

But what is special about the EMTB mode compared to the normal mode?

Ackmaniac said:
Thx for the info, i will have a look.

But what is special about the EMTB mode compared to the normal mode?

In my understading the eMTB mode uses a wider variety of assist level and takes cadence into account in addition to torque. Thus with high cadence the motor gives more power even with lesser torque, like when using a small gear to go uphill or in difficult terrain.

I got the walk assist to function by enabling the Off Delay and now it works with that setting off as well.

Perhaps the motor amps work differently in eMTB code and the parameters need some tweaking.

Hi @all,

I also want to order (some components are already ordered) a TDSZ2 (48V 750W) with a XH18 and a battery with the following details.

// Motor and Display
TDSZ2
48V 750 W
XH18 Display

// Battery
48V 15Ah
13S3P
max. continuous current 20A
max. peak current 30A (10 seconds)

In a second step i try to test the FW from Marcoq (because of the XH18) display but still have some open questions after reading this topic:

- It is possible to switch back to the stock firmware and where is this stock formware available?
- Are there any proposals settings or expierence (no throttle, no eMTB, no brake sensor, up to 45kmp) for a normal street usage available?

Thanks a lot

Thomas

godofglow said:
Hi @all,

I also want to order (some components are already ordered) a TDSZ2 (48V 750W) with a XH18 and a battery with the following details.

// Motor and Display
TDSZ2
48V 750 W
XH18 Display

// Battery
48V 15Ah
13S3P
max. continuous current 20A
max. peak current 30A (10 seconds)

In a second step i try to test the FW from Marcoq (because of the XH18) display but still have some open questions after reading this topic:

- It is possible to switch back to the stock firmware and where is this stock formware available?
- Are there any proposals settings or expierence (no throttle, no eMTB, no brake sensor, up to 45kmp) for a normal street usage available?

Thanks a lot

Thomas

Motor and display: http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2018-4c-gj4p

Battery, not the cheapest but good: https://enerprof.de/en/ebike-batter...y-li-ion-48v-15ah-30q-diy-conversion-kit?c=71

godofglow said:

- Are there any proposals settings or expierence (no throttle, no eMTB, no brake sensor, up to 45kmp) for a normal street usage available?....
You can backup and reflash your stock firmware with the same software as you use for flashing OSF >> ST Visual Programmer
If you have forgotten to backup your stock FW, it is possible to download it here at Eco Cycles.

For an explination of settings I advice to read Ashrambo's Blog (Spanish, so use Gtranslate)

More to find at:
Github of stancecoke
Jobike (Translated-Italian)
Elem (Translated-French)

Badmotor said:
I'm getting an error "cannot communicate with the device". It seems the STlink dongle might be faulty.

But now I have a serious noob question. Is STlink supposed to be connected to the VLCD5 or the motor controller? And is it supposed to be flashed from the Configurator? At first I press Compile, then if all goes well, I press "program" and it's supposed to work?

run the java configurator as an computer admin

Back