BBSHD Voltage Problem Firmware Update & Instructions

Has anybody had success with this on a BBS02? I have a recent build with a BBS02 and the throttle has no response while pedelling. I am hoping this might fix that issue.

This particular fix is specifically for the "overvoltage" error. It *could* fix other errors on a BBSHD, but I don't know if it will do anything for a BBS01 or BBS02, as those probably use different firmware files.

If you do try it, keep in mind you can make your controller completely inoperable, completely inaccessible, and non-reprogrammable, if anything goes wrong or your hardware is not compatible with the file you use.

The PAS vs throttle issue is a separate thing, and there are some threads for that, like this one:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=93977
that may have a fix you can use more safely.

BiggtBiggt said:
Has anybody had success with this on a BBS02? I have a recent build with a BBS02 and the throttle has no response while pedelling. I am hoping this might fix that issue.

No. You’ll get to buy a new controller.

Hi guys, I did the firmware Update thank you! I am still perplexed on how the heck you can get my display to show MAX PAS on my DC-18 display, I want to change my PAS to 9 as well. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. :thumb:

fechter said:
BiggtBiggt said:

See this thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=93977&hilit=bbshd

You can fix the problem without getting a new controller.
I wish things with Bafang were as cut and dried. If I’ve learned anything, it’s there are different firmware or chips used and what works for one controller may not for another. Seems a surprise every few months. New rotor the latest.

stc-isp-15xx-v6.86E.exe

Anyone use any other stc file? Fellow is getting a message to use newer version.

OK, all done now.

Thanks Amberwolf, everything worked like a charm.

I flashed both the 413 and 418 files to what I would say is probably a "newer" controller made within the last year. Both worked. For some reason my anti-virus didn't have any problem with the 413 flash, but I had to disable McAfee to flash the 418 file. Every time I tried to flash the new code it was booting me out and deleting the program. Considering how big of a no-no turning something off in mid flash is I did not brick the controller. But you may want to turn of your anti-virus preemptively.

I had to find the Luna 52Vlimitless.el file to restore the PAS 0 full throttle settings. I have no clue why this is but I suspect "user error", I think I was hitting "write" instead of "write flash" the first couple times.

I had an extra 48V error 7 controller lying around so I did the shunt mod as well. It seems to pull another 5 or 6mph on flat ground.

You may know I started the project for OpenSource firmware to mid drive TSDZ2 motor and our firmware is amazing (feedback from the users) and I wonder how hard would be to make for Bafang BSSHD.

I also started the OpenSource firmware for Bafang 850C color display as also the SW102/EggRider Bluetooth LCD and they work very well pairing with our firmware running on TSDZ2.

Maybe a torque sensor could be added to Bafang BSSHD, that could be strain gauge added to each pedal and communication y Bluetooth to SW102 display that would then send the cadence and torque sensor signal to Bafang BSSHD motor controller running our firmware ---- maybe this is to crazy and complex to do

What is the motor max RPM? On TSDZ2 is 4000 RPMS.

---

BotoXbz said:
casainho said:
Hi.

Can you guys please tell me what is the microcontroller on the motor controller board?? I saw that there are connections for 3 halls sensors from the motor + the connections of the 3 phases.

The controller on the BBSHD is garbage, it's using a Chinese STC15W4K32S4 series MCU
There is a second MCU, I think that one does the motor control and the STC probably only tells it how much current it wants
Original firmware is here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100064
A much better idea would be to design a good VESC controller that'd fit into the original enclosure.
And then you could do whatever you want.
Thanks for the information.

That STC15W4K32S4 is from ST, there is an English datasheet available as also a c compiler and some examples projects on github.

The c compiler is SDCC, the same we use for the TSDZ2 motor controller, which is also a microcontroller from ST.

So, even if there is other IC that specifically do the motor controller, than should be easy to understand the schematic of the motor controller and then develop the firmware, probably even more easy than the TSDZ2 or the KT Kunteng motor controllers firmware that we also developed.

Can you please tell me the me reference of the motor controller IC??

tomjasz said:
stc-isp-15xx-v6.86E.exe

Anyone use any other stc file? Fellow is getting a message to use newer version.

I have the same issue...

UPDATE: just figured it out... Max baud rate must be set to 57600 otherwise this is the error you get...

You can also get the latest stc @ http://www.stcisp.com/STC-ISP_update_history.html

Code:
  . MCU type: IAP15W4K61S4
  F/W version: 7.2.5T

Adjusting frequency ...
Download failed ! (6.86E)(2019-09-04 09:41:38)
Please using the newest software !

i have a new bbshd i received in aug 2019. it has 2019 date codes on it so I assume it is the new controller. I have the throttle pedal issue. Will this firmware fix that? Which one should i flash?

thanks

My motor has 190724.... written on the bottom which I'm guessing means its a version from July 2019.

I tried both the "5228" (52V 28A) and "4830" options (48V 30A). Both programmed successfully

I got over voltage error on 4830.

No over voltage error on 5228. However as noted by other max current is now limited to 28A (which sucks)

This did not fix throttle issues for me. I've disabled PAS by changing config options with programming cable and throttle response is nice. (But no PAS)

p913 said:
My motor has 190724.... written on the bottom which I'm guessing means its a version from July 2019.

I tried both the "5228" (52V 28A) and "4830" options (48V 30A). Both programmed successfully

No over voltage error on 5228. However as noted by other max current is now limited to 28A (which sucks)

This did not fix throttle issues for me. I've disabled PAS by changing config options with programming cable and throttle response is nice. (But no PAS)

Who was the seller?

tomjasz said:
p913 said:

Who was the seller?

Luna-mate.com in Australia

No surprise, the self declared largest Bafang BBSxx series super vendor does F all to assist the market and other users. Whining like little bitches that everyone was out to get them...And with zero support changing and improving prices and service...when in fact selfish, self centered, self aggrandizing, greedy curmudgeons doing F all for Bafang BBSxx kit builders.

Sadly the parent company has the best profit margin and the worst open source assistance. Funny how that works.

I have a BBSHD with motor number 190823, bought in Oct from Amazon. In the config tool, it has the 28 amp limit and I'm pissed. Hardware v1.5. But if I returned it and got another one from another seller, I'd probably have the same issue. I guess I'll have to live with it or do the shunt mod if I want more amps. Haven't charged my 52v battery up to the max or put the motor on my bike yet. Hope I don't get the 07h error.

You won't notice much difference between 28A and 30A. Consider yourself lucky if it doesn't have the jerky throttle issue.

jwunder said:
I have a BBSHD with motor number 190823, bought in Oct from Amazon. In the config tool, it has the 28 amp limit and I'm pissed. Hardware v1.5. But if I returned it and got another one from another seller, I'd probably have the same issue. I guess I'll have to live with it or do the shunt mod if I want more amps. Haven't charged my 52v battery up to the max or put the motor on my bike yet. Hope I don't get the 07h error.
Buy from Amazon and get Amazon level support. Probably won't get the 07. I just don't get why buyers don't use the dozen small businesses that offer support beyond having to wait for answers on forums. 28A gets me 33MPH on a 26" flat foot cruiser. Faster than the brakes can handle...

28A gets me 33MPH on a 26" flat foot cruiser. Faster than the brakes can handle...

I have a 29er with hydraulic, so we'll see how it goes. Maybe I should have went with a hub bike, but there are hills where I live. It's just that... you do all this research, finally pull the trigger, and the actual product doesn't match what you read about. Bafang changed the software without notice... and probably will again. Like shooting a moving target.

I still really like the BBSHD and use it on a lot of really steep dirt trails. Stuff my old 2kw hub motor would just overheat on. There are hardware hacks for most of the software problems but you wouldn't need to hack anything if they did the software right.

Yeah, but I'm seeing 5kw hubs for the price of a BBSHD. I would have gotten a smaller bike for it tho, which I probably wouldn't have liked.

Big thanks to amberwolf!

I got MY BBSHD from ebike-4you.de
the sticker says CRR10E4830E105001.1
another label says CR R10E.1000S.N.U 1.5
Firmware: 1.5
I used amberwolfs CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.bin
after flashing i can still use the config tool @ 30A

I still get the 07H but its above 58.4 V, thats fine for me because i can adjust CV on my charger.

I had one major issue id like to share with you guys:

STC got stuck at flashing each time. I tried 2 Computers WIN7 with several drivers and WIN10 and several STC versions.

The very last thing i tried after hours of failing did finally suceed:
Turn of the firewall.

Any suggestions or ideas about 07H at 58.4 Volts?
Seems like I'm the only one with that kind of limitation after flashing.
Before flashing the limit was at about 57.0 V

Peter

Spezialexperte said:
Any suggestions or ideas about 07H at 58.4 Volts?
Seems like I'm the only one with that kind of limitation after flashing.
Before flashing the limit was at about 57.0 V
That probably means this firmware, with your hardware, has it's limit at that 58.4v. Since that's not much below the typical HVC of a 52v pack, the simplest solution is to charge the battery normally, then leave the bike on for a few minutes to a couple of hours, just sittng there, and it should drain it enough to use normally. Alternately you could setup a load like a 100w incandescent light bulb you can plug into the battery output connector for a moment, enough to load it to drop the voltage to where the bike will start.

You could also charge to just below the limit most of the time, only doing a full charge periodically overnight to ensure balancing if necessary. You wouldn't even notice a capacity/range difference with the ~0.5v or so less.

If you really need to defeat that, you could try to compare your original firmware code (if you have a file for it) with the one you've got in there now, and see if there are just a few small bits of code taht is different. Compare the two firmwares in those spots, and see if there is a correlation in value to equate to the voltage difference. Then you can figure out what difference it should be to get teh voltage you want there instead, and alter teh code and reflash.

If there are checksums this won't work, unless you can decompile and recompile it with the new values; I don't have any idea how to do that. :(

Back