Winterized

I've considered warming up gloves etc, but think 12V waterproof 3528 led strips would be my preference.
Very soft and flexible when warm, plenty of cheap "dimmers" to regulate warmth, and can turn inside out for putting on a show.

DrkAngel said:
I've considered warming up gloves etc, but think 12V waterproof 3528 led strips would be my preference.
Very soft and flexible when warm, plenty of cheap "dimmers" to regulate warmth, and can turn inside out for putting on a show.

How hot would led strips get?

Coldest days here were last night, its the wind chill that makes it so cold. I have to add stuff to my gloves, like more insulation and a winder breaker material. I was thinking of adding handlebar gloves add to that some plastic guards. Oh I just thought of something, atleast for the hands on the handlebar, not only heated grips, but also a metal bar coming off the handlebars even NiChrome wire wrapped around the brake levers for the finger tips, then heat shrink it on. No need to mess with shit putting on and off the gloves with wires and batteries nshit. Fuckyeah I gotta think about that for a bit now.

@12V ... 3528 LEDs use about 1+ watt per foot 5050, possibly 2+ watt per foot, 5630 3+ watt per foot.

Prepping for Winter 2019-20
Need to take 3 x 36V 4.4Ah Hoverboard batteries out of "bag" and build into eZip battery case.
Built 1 already, but sold to neighbor who needed it for climbing hill to new home.
"Stainless Steel" chain from China is a rusted mess! Need to replace!
Geared motor to get "Rust Buster" chain lubed with Fast Line Wet".
Studded tires still in great condition, but will treat with Armor-All, I've run both for about 4 Winters, but 1 was used already, no visible "checking" or cracks yet ... and would like to keep them alive for as long as possible. Ice Spiker studs (front) have no noticeable wear, Kenda Klondike (rear) is noticeably worn but offers good braking traction!

Just starting to line up my "to do" list.

By winter you mean what?
snow, ice?
I gave up on winterizing my summer ebike long time ago
Reason ?
Installing studed tires every fall
If you dont need studed tires so yoj do not have real winter

Upstate NY, south of Buffalo ... yeah, we get Snow and Ice, but worst, they use salt, which when down near 0 ºF turns everything into a brownish slurry that piles in front of your tires but slides easily against the warmer road surface.

Yes, I run a dedicated Winter bike The Snow Beast !
Chewed up and eaten away by salt and slush and snow for more than a decade of Winters.
Will be documenting this years refurbishment in the next month.

1977L.jpg

... yeah, we get snow!

Back in the 70's ... shoveling snow.

DrkAngel said:
file.php

Throwback Thursday?

DrkAngel said:
Need to take 3 x 36V 4.4Ah Hoverboard batteries out of "bag" and build into eZip battery case.
Built 1 already, but sold to neighbor who needed it for climbing hill to new home.
Studded tires still in great condition, but will treat with Armor-All, I've run both for about 4 Winters, but 1 was used already, no visible "checking" or cracks yet ... and would like to keep them alive for as long as possible. Ice Spiker studs (front) have no noticeable wear, Kenda Klondike (rear) is noticeably worn but offers good braking traction!

Upset! got behind, shoveling snow and still haven't pulled out the Snow Beast ...

Mad Jeep.jpg

Will get operational this weekend!

^^^Better be a Rubi!

I dunno why people buy them non Rubi's and install offroad gear on them, but maybe they have the offroad option, lockers, skid plates, d44's. Price no doubt is the reason people go non Rubi, but d44's and lockers is a great addition.

I dont do much in terms of maintenance, except I noticed my chain today was rather rusty and crusty so I took to laying on lots of oil onto the chain and cassette/freewheel. I did a fall, which I will post up in another thread, and I noticed the brakes were holding the rear wheel, so thats the reason I looked at it today. I really need to either get a fat rim, new spokes and lace the front 9C or get my c4k going, fats in the winter are great, from what I can tell with my rear fat.

Nothing like a refreshing ride on Elektra on a sunny winter day!

Or as the Norwegians say: there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

P.S. two thumbs up for the Tucano Urbano Thermoscud apron -- my legs stayed toasty and never got cool at all.

M

Hows that rust buster chain working for you?

My chain is rusted and looking at Chain Reaction Cycle, will probably buy two Clarks 7-8 Spd for the winter fat ebike.
Clarks Anti Rust 7-8 Speed Chain
Clarks Anti Rust 5-6 Speed Chain
KMC Z8Rb Anti-Rust 8 Speed Chain
KMC S1 Rust Buster Single Speed Chain

DrkAngel said:

the point is if you really want to commute on ebike in winter, real winter you got to have second winter ebike.
I saw a man riding on studed tires in the mid of summer literally wasting his expensive studed tires.
I cannot imagine changing tires on any bike twice a year.

miro13car said:
the point is if you really want to commute on ebike in winter, real winter you got to have second winter ebike.
I saw a man riding on studed tires in the mid of summer literally wasting his expensive studed tires.
I cannot imagine changing tires on any bike twice a year.

Gotta have multiple ebikes, for whatever the seasons arise.
Fat bike for the winter.
Cruiser bike for the summer.
Mountain Bike for trail riding.
Tricycle for the bottle picking and metal scrapping.

tricycle would be so much better on icy city pathways,
fear of falling on ice almost zero.
I am considering getting quality tricycle as my winter ride, but the cost of such quality one is like 1000-nds dollars with my edrive installed. plus three studed tires versus just two.

miro13car said:
tricycle would be so much better on icy city pathways,
fear of falling on ice almost zero.
I am considering getting quality tricycle as my winter ride, but the cost of such quality one is like 1000-nds dollars with my edrive installed. plus three studed tires versus just two.

You could always go to Crappy Tire and drop $400 on a tricycle and electrify that.
Better yet, a used brand name tricycle would be a better choice. I am sure there will be lots up for sale in the coming weeks and months as people try to make rent and mortgage payments.

I dont really see any increased SELL activity , because of current virus situation.
I would never buy any bicycle shaped object BSO from department store.

Back