la Nina rears her ugly head

https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/weus/h5-loop-ft.html

Dry cold front approaches the Left Coast, expected to drop temperatures by 10 degrees F over the next 24 hours; to be followed by another wind and Red Flag fire weather event. :twisted:

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/event/dsstable.php
Looks like a week of the weather that SoCali is famous for. :D
Detailed Forecast
Today
Sunny, with a high near 83. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight
Clear, with a low around 55. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 87. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Sunday Night
Clear, with a low around 57. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 91. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph.
Monday Night
Clear, with a low around 60.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 94.
Tuesday Night
Clear, with a low around 58.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 91.
Wednesday Night
Clear, with a low around 59.
Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 91.
Thursday Night
Clear, with a low around 60. Breezy.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 90. Breezy.

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=CAZ048&warncounty=CAC065&firewxzone=CAZ248&local_place1=5%20Miles%20SE%20San%20Jacinto%20CA&product1=High+Wind+Warning&lat=33.7412&lon=-116.9011#.XbEBgiVlDYU :flame: :shock: :twisted:

Red flag alert here now. Power utility is talking about turning off the power again. Last time I was spared. This time there seems to be even less wind, at least here.

Too late here, something already caught fire:
https://abc7.com/live-sonoma-county-wildfire-explodes-to-10000-acres/5642810/

Big enough to be obvious on the visible satellite image. That's a bad sign. Hope the wind is blowing away from me.

Sonoma fire satellite.JPG

I doubt it was from the wind as there really isn't any around here.

Sunday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50.
Monday
A slight chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.

That’s October for you; 90’s one day, 70’s the next.

Oh great, now the power utility is saying they may turn off the power in my area Saturday. At the same time, the wind is going to shift and bring all the smoke from the fire up north my way. Time to charge up all the bike batteries.

It's shaping up to be pretty bad around here. They are predicting up to 90mph wind gusts on Sunday.
This is a map of potential power shutdowns in the next 36 hours:
Outage Map 10-25-19.JPG

I am in one of the orange areas just north of SF. I guess if the power gets turned off I can just drive to San Francisco and hang out at work where the power will not be affected.

PG&E said Thursday it didn't deenergize a 230,000-volt transmission line near Geyserville that it said malfunctioned minutes before the fire erupted.

The company filed a report with the state utilities commission saying it found a "broken jumper" wire on a transmission tower around 9:20 p.m. Wednesday.

PG&E CEO Bill Johnson said it was too soon to know if the faulty equipment started the fire. He said the tower had been inspected four times in the past two years and appeared to have been in "excellent condition."

Meanwhile, PG&E warned that an even larger power outage may occur as early as Saturday and could affect portions of 33 counties in the San Francisco Bay Area, wine country and Sierra foothills.

Forecasts for Saturday into Monday showed possible wind gusts of 40 to 60 mph in most elevated areas of Northern California, and as high as 75 mph on some peaks.

Windy and cooler weather today, should have mowed the lawn but wasn’t motivated. It’s still green but not growing as much. Rather watch the World Series even though in the playoffs LA “Lost Again”. :roll:

https://abc7.com/blaze-erupts-along-405-fwy-near-getty-center-prompts-evacuations/5652801/
:flame: :shock: :twisted:
Here is the heat signature on the satellite view:
https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/wfo/sgx/h5-loop-ir2f.html

Well, they cut of the power in my area for 48 hours. At least this time it was actually windy. The communication infrastructure completely failed after about 4 hours. No cable TV, no internet, no landline phone and no cell phone reception. Eventually I found if I drove a few miles over to near the Marin Civic Center, I could get enough signal to make a phone call. I'm pretty pissed that the cable company and the cell phone providers don't have decent backup power, as it left someone in my area completely cut off.

While the stuff in the refrigerator was melting, at least I could watch TV using one of my bike batteries, a 48v inverter, and an amplified antenna.

Img_1389.jpg

This setup was awesome and the "ammo can" battery lasted for about 10 hours of TV watching. According to the TK-15 coulometer, the TV was drawing about 110W, which worked out to 2.1A on the 52v pack. The pack finally hit cutoff just before they restored power. I have 3 more packs from other bikes that I would have used next.

Since my Sur-ron battery is 60v, which is a bit too high for the inverter, I pointed the bike at the kitchen window and aimed the headlight up so it shined on the ceiling and turned on the bike. Nice bright light that could run for weeks.

I also made use of some solar garden lights I normally have in the yard. I hung one over the kitchen table and it was great. Next morning I put it back out in the yard to get recharged.

Img_1392.jpg

As soon as the power came back on, I put the bike pack back on the charger. About an hour later PG&E sent a notification that the power may go out again, so want to get that baby juiced up again.

What a nightmare for you "north" individuals; fortunately, no problems in my area of socal. Are generators out of the question for you?

2old said:
What a nightmare for you "north" individuals; fortunately, no problems in my area of socal. Are generators out of the question for you?
I'm seriously considering a generator at this point. I wish there was a way to use my Toyota Prius as a generator.
Solar panels and a big battery would be more fun and a lot quieter, but way more expensive. Right now, finding a generator is nearly impossible as everywhere is sold out. I'll have to wait until the rainy season to go shopping.

While we are on fire here, other family members in Utah and Idaho are getting near zero cold temps. Crazy weather...

If you have Amazon Prime, they have some (not cheap) you can get fast. I only did a search for "3kw generator", but I'm sure there's more depending on the power you need.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=3kw+generator&rh=p_85%3A2470955011&dc&qid=1572409105&rnid=2470954011&ref=sr_nr_p_85_1

FWIW, we're getting some of that wind here tonight. Winds up to 30mph with 39mph gusts detected at "official" weather stations.

It's enough that Yogi was (still is) not very interested in going out for potties, until he just couldn't hold it anymore a few minutes ago and insisted it was finally time to go out. ;) He's been hiding in the bedroom here with me and Kirin all night as I try to rest, rather than sprawling in the kitchen or against the front door like usual.

Well, they finally turned the power back on. Hopefully that's the last of it for this year.
Yes, there are all kind of generators for sale online, but everything local is sold out. Meanwhile I have my bike packs charged up again.

One interesting thing was when all the power was out, I could see the stars at night much better than normal without all the light pollution. I could clearly see the milky way, which never happens normally unless you get really far away from the city.

While PG&E hasn't cut our power yet (Lompoc,CA), I'm ready with a 12V 2kW inverter that I'll use with my Volt's battery. I've got a full tank of gas in it so should be able to keep my food cold for a week or so.

We have 13 solar panels on our roof, but seeing as how they are tied into the grid they won't do us any good with the power off. I'd love to find a way that they could keep the volt's batteries charged when the power goes out. Then I could be totally independent of the grid in outages. I thought of using my bike battery with a small 120V inverter to back feed the panels in order to energize the solar inverter but have been advised that it wouldn't work.

Back