How to stop motor shaft nut from coming off?

azad

10 W
Hi,

The motor shaft nut comes off of sprocket and shaft rotates inside the sprocket without the sprocket being rotated. How can I stop the nut from falling off?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,523
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,523
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,523
azad said:
Hi,

The motor shaft nut comes off of sprocket and shaft rotates inside the sprocket without the sprocket being rotated. How can I stop the nut from falling off?
you need nordlocks. They really do work great.

Maybe a woodruff key would help.
And maybe a nut with like 3 times more area to touch the aluminium.

Is there a key in that keyway? Is the shaft and sprocket tapered?

As a first-try solution I'd thorough degrease all parts and use loctite on the threads. Blue is normal strength, red is much stronger but beware you'll need to apply heat if you ever wanted to get it apart again.

azad said:
Hi,

Is the sprocket deeper than the one that came with the motor? It looks like the nut would usually tighten up against the shoulder of the shaft where the threads end, so having it only contacting the sprocket may make the nut do the work that the key would normally do.

I would try a key long enough to go to the end of the keyway, and use 2 heavy vibration locknuts. Place a thin one on second, to act as a jam nut. These parts are available here : https://www.mcmaster.com/hex-locknuts

The shaft is right hand threaded. If it's on the right side of the bike, motor torque will be applied in in a way that tends to unscrew the nut.

Usually, this tendency would be mitigated by the key keeping the sprocket from rotating on the axle. But it looks like you don't have a key on the motor shaft. That's the part you need to fix. The retaining nut is not for keeping the sprocket from spinning on its shaft. It's just for keeping everything stacked up together.

Punx0r said:
Is there a key in that keyway? Is the shaft and sprocket tapered?

As a first-try solution I'd thorough degrease all parts and use loctite on the threads. Blue is normal strength, red is much stronger but beware you'll need to apply heat if you ever wanted to get it apart again.

I think there isn't a key on the shaft. Yes I think shaft is tapered. It starts at 10mm and gradually increases the diameter. 11mm is the diameter of the sprocket.

E-HP said:
azad said:
Hi,

Is the sprocket deeper than the one that came with the motor? It looks like the nut would usually tighten up against the shoulder of the shaft where the threads end, so having it only contacting the sprocket may make the nut do the work that the key would normally do.

No the sprocket is the same as before. I am just replacing the old one. The freewheel of the earlier one got jammed and the same thing had started to happen with it.

Balmorhea said:
The shaft is right hand threaded. If it's on the right side of the bike, motor torque will be applied in in a way that tends to unscrew the nut.

Usually, this tendency would be mitigated by the key keeping the sprocket from rotating on the axle. But it looks like you don't have a key on the motor shaft. That's the part you need to fix. The retaining nut is not for keeping the sprocket from spinning on its shaft. It's just for keeping everything stacked up together.

How should I fix the key part? I have an 11mm sprocket and shaft has varying diameter starting at ~10.5 with max 12mm at the end.

This is how motor shaft looks.

Attachments

• notor.jpg
    notor.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,448
azad said:
This is how motor shaft looks.

That shaft has been eaten up because there wasn't a key to keep it from spinning in the sprocket. The sprocket bore may be damaged, too.

If it were my motor, I'd get a new one, (and a key for the shaft keyway). The sprocket needs to fit tightly on the shaft.

aroundqube said:
could be a half moon or Woodruff key : https://www.mcmaster.com/machine-keys

It's a regular square key with radiused ends. Only it isn't there.

A Woodruff key seat is shaped like the rounded side of the key.

azad said:
I think there isn't a key on the shaft. Yes I think shaft is tapered. It starts at 10mm and gradually increases the diameter. 11mm is the diameter of the sprocket.

I assume you mean the sprocket hole is 11mm on the inner side and 10mm on the nut side?

Otherwise, the seller sold you the wrong sprocket.

Edit: I don't see the gradual increase in diameter in the picture of the motor shaft. I see the step.

Nut should stay on better, with the key in there. Locktight it too.

Back