High power ebike means none of the rules apply to me

wturber said:
Ianhill said:
The best race driver is the one that never presses the brake and acts like a lemming PMSL.

Sure. And they build race tracks for that or partition streets from regular traffic when they race on streets. Racing and regular day-to-day driving do not mix well.

Agree that was sarcasm by the way ;)

Isle of man best example still people die speed is dangerous when your made of soft stuff.

ok he drives a bit reckless, but in the end does not matter because the whole DIY-Ebiking stuff is illegal.
other videos were great btw.. if he's reading here. :thumb:

Ianhill said:
wturber said:
Ianhill said:
The best race driver is the one that never presses the brake and acts like a lemming PMSL.

Sure. And they build race tracks for that or partition streets from regular traffic when they race on streets. Racing and regular day-to-day driving do not mix well.

Agree that was sarcasm by the way ;)
OK. My bad. Hard to tell given what some people actually believe ... and given that I'm not the best with tracking online names and personalities.

This medium is not suited to non-obvious sarcasm, I thought he was being sincerely obnoxious too.

And so sorry to hear that the UK is such a nanny state that DIY ebiking is illegal there, too much a tradeoff for safety IMO.

Sorry for the confusion but I enjoy taking piss off the obvious, UK is far from a nanny state it's full of bellends police have they hands full and use their own judgment on most, if you use mopeds and smash young girls round the head at knife point your fair game for a smashing.
If you ride an ebike your not the same calliper of criminal more of a nuisance than a risk compared to what is really going on when you put your ear to the ground shits crazy, story's just keep amazing me people caught up in serious traps that consume thier life's so I see policing as let a smash the serious criminals so hard they don't get up and just warn the biker no flying about in city's at peek time be vigilante.

john61ct said:
And so sorry to hear that the UK is such a nanny state that DIY ebiking is illegal there, too much a tradeoff for safety IMO.

Hahaha "nanny state". Yes I understand that to an american even laws against putting asbestos in children's drinks sound totalitarian but for the rest of the world it's common sense.

Far from being a "nanny state" the British government will happily leave you alone while your employer fraudulently passes you off as self-employed so as to cheat you out of minimum wage, do nothing at all when hundreds of thousands of kids have malnutrition, and cut social services from disabled people so they end up dying in filth.

There's not even really any uniform law enforcement, if your house is burgled or your car burnt down they'll show up 12 hours later, give you a crime number and say there's no point investigating. Run someone over with a car and flee the scene and you might get 18 months prison if they can be bothered finding you.

that's the problem with calling things a "nanny state", because a "nanny" is responsible for your well being. This shower is only out for themselves.

I was specifically referencing the claim

(Is it even true?)

that the laws of the UK do not accommodate DIY self-built electric vehicles.

That, to me, is **very much** overstepping the "social benefit" balancing of safety vs freedom, and discouraging innovation.

khorse said:
john61ct said:

Hahaha "nanny state". Yes I understand that to an american even laws against putting asbestos in children's drinks sound totalitarian but for the rest of the world it's common sense.
I don't know what imaginary world you are living in, but that's an absurd description of American laws. As for "nanny state", your description of the situation in the UK is what tends to happen when people try to have government take that nanny role. It is a very long shot that such programs work out well because the "nanny" frequently has priorities other than your welfare.

Of course discouraging citizens from innovating is very much in the interest of companies trying to maintain the energy/transportation status quo.

john61ct said:
Of course discouraging citizens from innovating is very much in the interest of companies trying to maintain the energy/transportation status quo.

Yup. And that's exactly how alternative transportation has been repeatedly outlawed or even prevented from being.

I'm personally not a big fan of caving in to intimidation and prevention of technologies that could provide a solution to our environmental problems. In many areas, these laws are not enforced anyway. I will build a boring legal bike that only serves a fraction of my needs when the time comes that these laws are enforced.

wturber said:
I don't know what imaginary world you are living in, but that's an absurd description of American laws. As for "nanny state", your description of the situation in the UK is what tends to happen when people try to have government take that nanny role. It is a very long shot that such programs work out well because the "nanny" frequently has priorities other than your welfare.

The British situation is the direct result of "small government" anti-"nanny state" ideology.

People being abused and ripped off by their bosses, because laws that exist to protect them are no longer enforced, is not the "nanny state". That's an absent state. The state refuses to intervene.

That children go to school with symptoms of scurvy is not the nanny state. Again, the state refuses to involve itself. The problem has been left to charities.

That law can't be enforced anymore because tens of thousands of police have been got rid of is not "nanny state" - the state refuses to involve itself even to the minimal degree of funding police.

That you can look at problems caused by lack of governance, and blame it on there somehow being too much governance, is proof that your worldview is not based on facts.

And yeah, I think I summed up the american attitude fairly well - competent and alert governance is seen as overreach or some communist conspiracy, unless it involves starting another war or terrorizing ghettos with insane gun slinging nazi-tattoo'd steroid abusing cops.

john61ct said:
I was specifically referencing the claim

(Is it even true?)

that the laws of the UK do not accommodate DIY self-built electric vehicles.

That, to me, is **very much** overstepping the "social benefit" balancing of safety vs freedom, and discouraging innovation.

It's completely fictional. There's nothing in the law against making your own ebike in the UK. Lots of people do it.

Well that fact may well have saved a lot of divisive ranting, pretty silly to let such an obvious falsehood stand for so long.

khorse said:
There's nothing in the law against making your own ebike in the UK.
Just curious about how this works. Really it's the same anywhere, if there are laws governing the potential speed or power of your vehicle. How are such laws enforced with home-made ebikes, how do they know that it can only develop 250W or can only go 15mph or whatever the limit may be?

I'm not asking whether anyone takes on that enforcement job. Existence of a law doesn't depend on whether it's enforced or not. It may be (as I believe is the case here) that the law neglects to provide in any way for practical enforcement, but it's easy enough for the law that says "must be limited to 250W" to be phrased something like "must be certified by manufacturer under regulation XYZ 10.334.015 to be limited to 250W". And then it's illegal to make your own and ride it in the public thoroughfare.

Lots of people do it.

Which is not all that relevant to the question.

I didn't mind his riding, id rather have a person blow by me than have a clueless wonder behind a wheel that bought their licence and shouldn't be driving, in front of me. if that guy crashs and burns itll probably be that clueless driver that gets him. let natural selection happen and if that driver gets traumatised hopefully they don't get behind a wheel again. I wish people would just mind their own business and quit being a bunch of rats with cell phones. when I was a kid you would get in sht for tattle tailing and rat finking, now that's all everyone does. everyones sht stinks. if a person wants to youtube themselves smuggling Mexicans on facebook live with cops chasing them, ill give it a view and lmao. natural selection will sort it out.

goatman said:
I didn't mind his riding, id rather have a person blow by me than have a clueless wonder behind a wheel that bought their licence and shouldn't be driving, in front of me. if that guy crashs and burns itll probably be that clueless driver that gets him. let natural selection happen and if that driver gets traumatised hopefully they don't get behind a wheel again. I wish people would just mind their own business and quit being a bunch of rats with cell phones. when I was a kid you would get in sht for tattle tailing and rat finking, now that's all everyone does. everyones sht stinks. if a person wants to youtube themselves smuggling Mexicans on facebook live with cops chasing them, ill give it a view and lmao. natural selection will sort it out.

Alas, you don't get to decree that only fair and just scenarios will play out. Wishing it doesn't make it happen, nor does being a conservative/libertarian crank. It's usually the innocents that suffer in this kind of situation, not just those who deserve it.

Seems driven by criminal culture, more than a thought-out political philosophy.

But then the latter are often just a cover for the former.

Anarchy, as in a Hobbesian cutthroat environment, "let those that can, do whatever they will", is of course the default.

And all historical progress the battle to regulate such selfishness.

Thanks for the (mostly) positive comments guy's 👊Had nothing but interest and good vibes from the general public at traffic lights or forest riding tbh so a few grumpy old sods in this forum really makes no odds tbh.I have met a few ebike builders and riders now and trust me when I say my vids are soft😂 Either way if you are building or thinking about starting a build just do it😉
Cheers all from the chap in that vid😁👊

I must admit the more miles put behind me the faster I go. I feel safer on my trike than in a car except when someone is cutting me off. My trike has skinny front tires now and don't have the traction to make a fast turn in traffic. I guess it all depends where you live, the police just smile at me so I don't even worry about going fast but try not to be reckless.

Back