Worm gear reducers/gearboxes?

Any recommendations for worm gear reducers/gearboxes that can handle 4nm max input torque? The lighter the better, of course. My apologies if this has already been discussed. I've been unable to find much searching the forum so far. Thanks y'all!

What will you be using the gear box reducer for?

Also, your user name picture looks like the "mechanic" from Luna Cycle.

Electric wheelchair motors usually have worm gear reductions. I imagine there are plenty of scrapped motors from those things somewhere.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jazzy-Wheelchair-Gearbox-Motor-Rc-Lawnmower-Robotics-Electric-crab-pot-puller/223632214187

markz said:

The plan is a gear reduction from a Neumotor 8057 to a bike chainwheel. A wormdrive is quiet, and also offers the ability to mount the motor 90 degrees off the bottom bracket axle, which helps with the design I'm tinkering with.

markz said:

There's no way he's this handsome.

nowholeself said:
markz said:

The plan is a gear reduction from a Neumotor 8057 to a bike chainwheel. A wormdrive is quiet, and also offers the ability to mount the motor 90 degrees off the bottom bracket axle, which helps with the design I'm tinkering with.

markz said:

There's no way he's this handsome.

be aware though that worm gears are very inefficient, particularly at high reductions/high rpms. There's a reason that people use multistage chains, and car diffs use gears rather than worms.

nowholeself said:
This may not be what you were planning , but before the current tsunami of mid drives, a whole range of Ebikes used a 90deg motor on the bottom bracket with this reducer unit.
It was fitted to Gette, Aseako, Zoco, iGo, Wolf, Ecotekk, and some other brands.
https://www.aseakoelectricbikes.com.au/product/high-torque-central-drive-system/
There should be plenty of used ones around, and even new spare drive units still available.

be aware though that worm gears are very inefficient, particularly at high reductions/high rpms. There's a reason that people use multistage chains, and car diffs use gears rather than worms

Ah good to know. How inefficient with a single 10:1 reduction though? Keeping things ultra quiet may be worth it if the performance hit is minor.

Hillhater said:
nowholeself said:
This may not be what you were planning , but before the current tsunami of mid drives, a whole range of Ebikes used a 90deg motor on the bottom bracket with this reducer unit.
It was fitted to Gette, Aseako, Zoco, iGo, Wolf, Ecotekk, and some other brands.
https://www.aseakoelectricbikes.com.au/product/high-torque-central-drive-system/
There should be plenty of used ones around, and even new spare drive units still available.

Thank you! Seems a bit skimpy for my purposes but I'll have to look into it more.

My search for a decent worm gearbox has yet to yield results. I'm expanding so as to include any right angle gearboxes under 2 lbs that can handle a Neumotors 8057. Do y'all have any leads? I fear my search is quixotic.

Back