TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

To the guy who said boost wasn’t necessary with v20.0-beta.1 because you could use Emtb mode to gain very high initial power, you’re correct but not for a woman, or at least my wife who is totally sold on boost! Please can we have it back and restore harmony?!

Fantastic job and well done to all who contributed to this.

I have been recording WHr consumption rates since 2018 and used a coulomb-meter as well as the OS software to calculate the data. Ignoring the challenging stuff and only analysing the urban power consumption, the rate is between 7 & 8 WHr/mile. That’s recorded over 1,500 miles and two different bikes and both operated at assist x1.0 The v20 torque values for 10kg on each pedal are both 15.5+/-0.1.

At the risk of making myself look like a complete idiot, v20 is giving an extraordinary 5 WHr/mile. There is one problem with this bike which is that the SOC is about a volt higher than actual but can’t see that effecting things.

James Broadhurst said:
To the guy who said boost wasn’t necessary with v20.0-beta.1 because you could use Emtb mode to gain very high initial power, you’re correct but not for a woman, or at least my wife who is totally sold on boost! Please can we have it back and restore harmony?!
I want to bring it back but I have so much to do...

James Broadhurst said:
I have been recording WHr consumption rates since 2018 and used a coulomb-meter as well as the OS software to calculate the data. Ignoring the challenging stuff and only analysing the urban power consumption, the rate is between 7 & 8 WHr/mile. That’s recorded over 1,500 miles and two different bikes and both operated at assist x1.0 The v20 torque values for 10kg on each pedal are both 15.5+/-0.1.

At the risk of making myself look like a complete idiot, v20 is giving an extraordinary 5 WHr/mile. There is one problem with this bike which is that the SOC is about a volt higher than actual but can’t see that effecting things.
Maybe you are now more fit :) -- because there was no improvements done on firmware that justifies change on the motor power consumption.

gatorsean said:
However, I cannot seem to get throttle or pedal assist working... The motor spins slowly in walk assist mode, so I know the motor and controller are ok. Also in the config, i see the throttle value changing when i press the throttle so that is working.

FOSS firmware, or original? You get symptoms like this with factory firmware for a 48V motor and a fully charged 52V battery. If that's the case, either flash the FOSS firmware or discharge your battery a bit. I left mine connected to an incandescent lightbulb for a few hours, as I didn't want to flash the FOSS firmware until I was sure the hardware was good.

eyebyesickle said:
tomjasz said:
Is anyone in the USA offering a flashing and upgrade service for riders that own displays and motors? I hate to spend the dollars to buy new and I'm not proficient. enough to do the upgrade. Lacking and Windoze OS kinda limits me.

I'll do it for you no charge if you just pay shipping. Even easier just send with a return label for me... I'm all set up and only takes a couple minutes. PM if ya want... But only if I can bust your balls about 'oweing me one' hahaha
OK OK!!! I'll PM, bust away! Or send a bill!

jimmyfergus said:
gatorsean said:
However, I cannot seem to get throttle or pedal assist working... The motor spins slowly in walk assist mode, so I know the motor and controller are ok. Also in the config, i see the throttle value changing when i press the throttle so that is working.

FOSS firmware, or original? You get symptoms like this with factory firmware for a 48V motor and a fully charged 52V battery. If that's the case, either flash the FOSS firmware or discharge your battery a bit. I left mine connected to an incandescent lightbulb for a few hours, as I didn't want to flash the FOSS firmware until I was sure the hardware was good.

I am on the FOSS verision 19.11. Is there anything other than setting up my battery in the display i need to do? I made the increase to 14s and set my cut off voltage at 44V.

casainho said:
gatorsean said:
Hi!

I recently completed a build with the SW102 on version 19. I am so close to a first ride i can taste it!

Strangely, if i am at the main screen and press the throttle nothing happens. Same with pedal assist. If i spin the crank, the motor does not respond.

I noticed my battery charged to 58V displays 59.6V on the display, so that reading is a bit high but doesn't appear to be causing a problem...

I don't have a speed sensor. Could that cause an issue? Any other ideas i might check?
I think throttle does not work due to an issue, but that is already solved on current master branch.

Pedal assist should work, you must check that you have cadence, torque sensor and human power (human por you need to check on main screen).

Hi casainho!

First off, thanks for your amazing contributions!

I did remember reading about broken throttle at one point before I installed. I am currently on SW102 version 19.17 which i think is the latest for the display. Was the throttle fix in the master branch for the color LCD repo and perhaps only for 850C so far?

It appears the version 20 firmware for the drive controller is not yet compatible with the SW102 if i understand the notes about making sure the display FW and controller firmware match. Is that still correct?

gatorsean said:
casainho said:
gatorsean said:
Hi!

I recently completed a build with the SW102 on version 19. I am so close to a first ride i can taste it!

Strangely, if i am at the main screen and press the throttle nothing happens. Same with pedal assist. If i spin the crank, the motor does not respond.

I noticed my battery charged to 58V displays 59.6V on the display, so that reading is a bit high but doesn't appear to be causing a problem...

I don't have a speed sensor. Could that cause an issue? Any other ideas i might check?
I think throttle does not work due to an issue, but that is already solved on current master branch.

Pedal assist should work, you must check that you have cadence, torque sensor and human power (human por you need to check on main screen).

Hi casainho!

First off, thanks for your amazing contributions!

I did remember reading about broken throttle at one point before I installed. I am currently on SW102 version 19.17 which i think is the latest for the display. Was the throttle fix in the master branch for the color LCD repo and perhaps only for 850C so far?

It appears the version 20 firmware for the drive controller is not yet compatible with the SW102 if i understand the notes about making sure the display FW and controller firmware match. Is that still correct?
Yes, you must use v0.19 on motor controller.

I can't help on SW102 for now, maybe other developers can. Anyway, the code is in master and was not released yet.

But you have the problem of lacking of assist, you need to verify the variables on the display I did mention before.

Hi! I just installed the 0.20.0 beta version on the TSDZ2 with the KT-LCD3 and I don't know on what I've pressed, but now I can't see the wheel speed on the main screen, but the average speed, and I don't know how to go back. In the wiki I saw that by pressing the on/off button and then quickly on the up one, when it shows 7.1 I need to long press on the up one and it's going to cycle thru sub-menus until it'll reach 7.0, but when I long press on the up button, even in the mode cycling menu, it turns on the lights.
Any help?

Hallo,

What I have to Do with a 14s Batterie and the 0.20 Version on Motor setup? Can i use the 48v (2) high cadence Mode or the Normal 48v Mode?

Mfg Michael

P. S. The 0.20 is absolut amazing!!!!!!

michih. said:
Hallo,

What I have to Do with a 14s Batterie and the 0.20 Version on Motor setup? Can i use the 48v (2) high cadence Mode or the Normal 48v Mode?

Mfg Michael

P. S. The 0.20 is absolut amazing!!!!!!
Prefer to use normal mode as it should be more energy efficient. But try also the other mode and decide based on your experience.

Entryon said:
Hi! I just installed the 0.20.0 beta version on the TSDZ2 with the KT-LCD3 and I don't know on what I've pressed, but now I can't see the wheel speed on the main screen, but the average speed, and I don't know how to go back. In the wiki I saw that by pressing the on/off button and then quickly on the up one, when it shows 7.1 I need to long press on the up one and it's going to cycle thru sub-menus until it'll reach 7.0, but when I long press on the up button, even in the mode cycling menu, it turns on the lights.
Any help?

No that should be top button only - click, release, click-hold

I've not yet found a way to move between the three fields in the main wheel speed display ( centre screen ), even the Wiki manual only talks about it, I have inadvertently also moved across to the average speed and not found a way back.

There is also the lower centre display which is not working correctly.

The Wiki manual is as follows.

Odometer Field

The odometer field located at the bottom of the display can show a few variables that are logically grouped in sub fields. You can change between fields by pressing the ON/OFF button. To change between different data in a sub field quickly press UP button followed by a long hold on UP button. The current field and sub field number will temporarily blink in the wheel speed field.

Unfortunately it doesn't work ( I've tried many times and tried to work out any variances of timing etc).

I've previously written that the Home and down button combined is not used for anything as far as I'm aware, could we simply use a press on both the home and down key simultaneously to get into this field to be able to change the sub fields.

Should I place something on Buba's Github ?

Waynemarlow said:
Unfortunately it doesn't work ( I've tried many times and tried to work out any variances of timing etc).

I've previously written that the Home and down button combined is not used for anything as far as I'm aware, could we simply use a press on both the home and down key simultaneously to get into this field to be able to change the sub fields.

Buba seems to be away on last month or so. He was the only one developing and maintaining the KT-LCD3 firmware. I think development is finished because the KT-LCD3 has no more memory, but, maintenance should be possible.

The firmware for motor controller is on the same repo as the firmware for KT-LCD3 and so the issues are on the common place which now I think it is not very good, better to have a repo and issue tracker specific to KT-LCD3. Well, anyway I think is better it of put the issue on the common repo and put like a label tag like "KT-LCD3: issue title": https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike/issues

850C graphs and variables

Currently, 850C has the following 13 variables that can be quick selected to be shown on the graph, at the main screen:
wheelSpeedGraph,
tripDistanceGraph,
odoGraph,
cadenceGraph,
humanPowerGraph,
batteryPowerGraph,
batteryVoltageGraph,
batteryCurrentGraph,
batterySOCGraph,
motorTempGraph,
motorErpsGraph,
pwmDutyGraph,
motorFOCGraph

And about the max time shown on the graph, I was looking for the amount of memory available and seems a good safe value that includes some space to grow in future, is to have possible to quick select the X axis scale from the main screen:

- 15 minutes
for the ones that does very short trips, and maybe strong ones like me on the city with motor almost at max power and riding at 45km/h -- here the battery power / current and SOC usage, motor temperature, PWM duty-cycle, etc, are opposite from the different long trips of 4 hours.
Graph is also important that soon should show the system limits (yellow and red areas on the graph) so users can better understand his own motor and when it stops/limits the assist...

- 1 hour (medium trips)
- 4 hours (long trips on trails...)

casainho said:
Buba seems to be away on last month or so. He was the only one developing and maintaining the KT-LCD3 firmware. I think development is finished because the KT-LCD3 has no more memory, but, maintenance should be possible.
Sort of shame as the KT-LCD3 as a project is almost at the point of being a very mature product. It certainly has good readability in all light conditions, has all the information ever needed in a compact screen and is cheap to buy. But we have to acknowledge that the likes of Buba is doing this voluntarily and if he is away doing other things then he is away doing other things.

Without dropping back to V19 and having a look, does the subfields work in V19, is there a simple bug in the cross over between V19 and V20 that's prevented this part of the display working properly as per V19 as the Wiki seems the same between V19 and V20.

The motor changes that Buba integrated seem very good and reliable, has anybody suggested that we should move to V20 on all applications such as Marcoq's and Casainho's ?

Waynemarlow said:
The motor changes that Buba integrated seem very good and reliable, has anybody suggested that we should move to V20 on all applications such as Marcoq's and Casainho's ?
Soon the 850C and SW102 display will work on V20. lowPerformer already did work for support V20 but I did not test yet, geeksville, the other developer, is away for some days and when he arrives, I think we will be able to work hard on it.

For myself, I will port the torque sensor full calibration for V20, so I can keep playing/develop for V21.

I hope to make a V21 quick after V20, mainly to support the new displays - the idea is that development need to continue but is not possible anymore with KT-LCD3 because it is already full of memory, also is much more limited on the information it shows to user so it limits the innovation.

As the configurations grows on the display, maybe we could have a software to change them on PC side (would change the firmware .bin file) -- this if some new developer will be available to develop and maintain. This would be an alternative, as all the configurations will always be available on the display.

casainho said:
a V21 quick after V20, mainly to support the new display
so that means we all will switch to 850C or to SW102 - if we want to upgrade.
But which Display is preferable? Do they have the same capabilities?
Are there plans with KT-LCD5 or KT-LCD8 (keep the cable as is)?

Uturn said:
casainho said:
a V21 quick after V20, mainly to support the new display
so that means we all will switch to 850C or to SW102 - if we want to upgrade.
But which Display is preferable? Do they have the same capabilities?
Are there plans with KT-LCD5 or KT-LCD8 (keep the cable as is)?
Like a Tesla or similar, for having new features like auto pilot version xx, the car hardware had to be upgraded. Your are not forced to do the upgrade.

Go to the wiki and see the comparison table between 850C and SW102 and see what is the recommended and why.

Waynemarlow said:
I've not yet found a way to move between the three fields in the main wheel speed display ( centre screen ), even the Wiki manual only talks about it, I have inadvertently also moved across to the average speed and not found a way back.

There is also the lower centre display which is not working correctly.

The Wiki manual is as follows.

Odometer Field

The odometer field located at the bottom of the display can show a few variables that are logically grouped in sub fields. You can change between fields by pressing the ON/OFF button. To change between different data in a sub field quickly press UP button followed by a long hold on UP button. The current field and sub field number will temporarily blink in the wheel speed field.

It works fine ... you would have needed to do similar to the below to get to what you have now.

Go into settings, 8: Main Screen Setup, 6: Wheel speed. Enable by changing to 1.
Exit settings. Cycle through the screens until you get to screen 7 (wheel speed). Use click up, then click-hold up to switch between
7.1 Current 7.2 Average 7.3 Peak

casainho said:
Waynemarlow said:
Soon the 850C and SW102 display will work on V20. lowPerformer already did work for support V20 but I did not test yet, geeksville, the other developer, is away for some days and when he arrives, I think we will be able to work hard on it.

For myself, I will port the torque sensor full calibration for V20, so I can keep playing/develop for V21.

I hope to make a V21 quick after V20, mainly to support the new displays - the idea is that development need to continue but is not possible anymore with KT-LCD3 because it is already full of memory, also is much more limited on the information it shows to user so it limits the innovation.

As the configurations grows on the display, maybe we could have a software to change them on PC side (would change the firmware .bin file) -- this if some new developer will be available to develop and maintain. This would be an alternative, as all the configurations will always be available on the display.

Hey Buba and Casainho,
I'm very grateful for all the work you guys have done in version 20 it has been working well for me. I am excited about version 21 so that I can set the settings on the torque sensor. Because in version 20 I am still pulling backward on my cranks with a coaster brake version to trick torque sensor into thinking I'm putting more torque on the cranks than I am. I have been doing this ever since I installed my power assist with the stock firmware. It would be great to just put in the setting I like and not have to pull back on my cranks anymore to trick the torque sensor. This will also help those that don't have very strong legs or arms like me and use the standard motor. Because you can't pull back with the standard motor, to trick the torque sensor, With the stock firmware I had to pull back to trick the torque sensor or it was completely unusable. With version 20 pulling back makes a big difference, but the power assist will work without pulling back just not enough for me to enjoy riding. Thanks again for all the time that has been donated to this project, Jeff

mctubster said:
Waynemarlow said:

It works fine ... you would have needed to do similar to the below to get to what you have now.

Go into settings, 8: Main Screen Setup, 6: Wheel speed. Enable by changing to 1.
Exit settings. Cycle through the screens until you get to screen 7 (wheel speed). Use click up, then click-hold up to switch between
7.1 Current 7.2 Average 7.3 Peak

Just checked and I have field 8-6 enabled. On trying again I can change the setting about 20 - 30% of the time but you have to do the shift from the home key to pushing the up key and then long push on the up key incredibly rapidly which then moves the field across one before it comes back out into the main screen, not ideal but workable but really needs either the delay times changing or we have a rethink on how that key input works.

Thanks though for the hints.

Waynemarlow said:
mctubster said:
Waynemarlow said:
Just checked and I have field 8-6 enabled. On trying again I can change the setting about 20 - 30% of the time but you have to do the shift from the home key to pushing the up key and then long push on the up key incredibly rapidly which then moves the field across one before it comes back out into the main screen, not ideal but workable but really needs either the delay times changing or we have a rethink on how that key input works.

Maybe your buttons are faulty? You shouldn't need to quick switch from home to the up button. Just use the home/power button to get to screen 7. Wait a few seconds, quickly click up release and the click hold until the display changes?

When code are you running?

Waynemarlow said:

Maybe your buttons are faulty? You shouldn't need to quick switch from home to the up button. Just use the home/power button to get to screen 7. Wait a few seconds, quickly click up release and the click hold until the display changes?

What code are you running?

Back