Toyota will use Tokyo Olympics to debut solid-state battery electric vehicle

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/toyota-solid-state-battery-electric-olympics/

Toyota has largely kept quiet on electric cars, instead focusing on its hybrid Prius lineup and hydrogen fuel cell technology. Next decade, that's set to change, and the automaker will kick things off next year in a big way.

Speaking to Autocar on Tuesday, Toyota Chief Technology Officer Shigeki Terashi said the automaker will debut a vehicle equipped with a solid-state battery next year. The location? The 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Toyota has been keen to use the international spotlight to flex its muscles regarding self-driving car technology and zero-emissions powertrains.

Yeah, before they're able to produce anything in numbers, they will be made obsolete and irrelevant by... Tesla.

Yet there's gonna be a car with solid state batteries sitting on that podium still. A thing we've always dreamed of is gearing up to be mass produced. It's sad that we don't have the roads full of these things, but that whole 'by 2020' goal is turning out to not be complete vaporware. That's how i see it.

st35326 said:
that is true.
garbage is in a solid state.

neptronix said:
but that whole
dyson & fiskar too...
it's an ole'-fashioned space race.
Fisker was originally aiming at 2023 production, but its scientists are making such rapid advances that the company is now targeting 2020. "We're actually ahead of where we expected to be," Fisker says. "We have built batteries with better results quicker than we thought." The company is setting up a pilot plant near its headquarters.
Ford, Toyota, Daimler, Volkswagen, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Hyundai are investing hundreds of millions of dollars in solid-state battery research and development. All build commercial trucks as well as passenger cars and light trucks.

BMW and startup luxury EV maker Fisker Inc. also are working on solid-state, as are several Chinese EV companies.

Automakers are investing in several U.S.-based solid-state battery-development companies, including Kentucky-based Solid Power and Ionic Materials of Massachusetts. Earlier this year, Volkswagen invested $100 million in QuantumScape, a Massachusetts-based solid-state battery developer.

Toyota has pursued solid-state battery development for years. It has a technology-sharing agreement with Suzuki, Subaru and Mazda. The automaker also has a joint-development pact with Nissan, Honda, battery maker Panasonic and the Japanese government.

is one of SSB features that it can be molded to conform to any shape or am i thinking of something else?

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
Ford, Toyota, Daimler, Volkswagen, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Hyundai are investing hundreds of millions of dollars in solid-state battery research and development.

I guess that's one way to achieve investor confidence - "look guys, we're behind Tesla by 5-10 years now, but once our R&D on these batteries comes through, we'll immediately leap forward 20 years and bury Tesla alive"

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
Toyota has pursued solid-state battery development for years. It has a technology-sharing agreement with Suzuki, Subaru and Mazda. The automaker also has a joint-development pact with Nissan, Honda, battery maker Panasonic and the Japanese government.

Suzuki you say? I'll take one GSX-R-E thanks. :thumb:
or is that a GSX-REEEEEEEEEEE???
:pancake:

The Gixxer becomes a Gixxie?

Whether or not anything comes of all this battery research, I'm glad it's being done and we're not all stuck with our heads up our butts or in the sand so to speak. Give us greater range and cheaper prices and give it to us now :mrgreen:

cricketo said:
Yeah, before they're able to produce anything in numbers, they will be made obsolete and irrelevant by... Tesla.

Haha yeah you're right what does Toyota know about making practical, affordable cars by the millions?

RIP Tesla.

dustNbone said:
Haha yeah you're right what does Toyota know about making practical, affordable cars by the millions?

RIP Tesla.

Possible, but Tesla is smart enough to develop a niche that nobody else is filling.. sexy and fast electric cars. Not affordable ones, per se.

Turns out that sexy and fast sells more than sedate and affordable.

If Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, etc would compete with Tesla, that company would have some real threats to face. But i doubt they could compete on specs, cost, image, etc.

dustNbone said:

RIP Tesla.

That's the common opinion of skeptics - "once big auto wants Tesla's market, Tesla is no more." Well, big auto, sort of tried to go after Tesla. VW/Porsche, Audi, BMW, GM. We've seen what they can and can't do already. You could say "but those are Germans! What do they know about Japanese engineering!" And I'd say you can look at Nissan. Or... you could look at Toyota Rav4 EV :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV

So yeah, here is a meme for you...

1yxiot.jpg

It won't surprise me if Toyota comes out with a solid-state battery, Japan is the home to mass production of Lithium cells after all.
The reason why Toyota wouldn't be lying is the fact they are a publically listed (stocks) company, they can't lie or else someone will sue them claiming they bought their stock of the promise of a solid state battery.
The only person who has been able to make promises in the car market and get away with it is Elon Musk, in the professional investor media circles its been repeated that if it was any other CEO who made claims like how Elon does to push up the stock/investors hopes they would be in jail by now with no hope of being CEO of a car company again.

The only thing to note is the Toyota solid-state battery might not be as good as you imagine, it might be it just doesn't burn nearly as easily but everything else is somewhat similar, in battery tech there always seems to be a price to pay for an advantage over something else.

dustNbone said:
RIP Tesla.
Funny, I could swear I've heard that before . . . .

I think more competition would be great. It will be years before anyone can approach Tesla's performance, and during that time Tesla will have the new Roadster out, which will be the fastest car on the planet, period. That alone will sell a lot of cars. Will Toyota do better? It would be great to see them try.

billvon said:
... That alone will sell a lot of cars. Will Toyota do better? It would be great to see them try.
That is not Toyotas style.
Their marketing strategy is to make affordable cars...and sell a sell a mass of them based on reputation for reliability, and quality standards.
If they need to promote their name for perfomance they do it on the track..mostly very successfully, such as LeMans, F1, and currently the WRC.
It works well for them.

Back