Storm Bee electric dirt bike

Here is an updated EVnerd post on the Storm.

https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicles/e-motorcycle-news/sur-ron-storm-bee-mx-and-homologated-version-revealed/

I love some of the stuff I read because sounds like DIY oriented.
It sounds like a 26S16P 96V battery made with 416 Sony VTC6 that at 22Kw deliver around 230A and 14A/cell.

Some updates on Storm bee. http://bbs.sur-ron.com/#/t/192

Attachments

• 1571107276649_kfzHAMdRrmryHXg - 副本.jpg
    1571107276649_kfzHAMdRrmryHXg - 副本.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 4,422
Last week I saw this e-motorcycle in person at EICMA. It feels very good and ready for some off road abuse. The only thing I do not like is the fact that the street legal version will be equipped with smaller rims. We should let Sur Ron know that we want the same rims as the MX on the street legal version.
20191107_151720.jpg

bigbore said:
Last week I saw this e-motorcycle in person at EICMA. It feels very good and ready for some off road abuse. The only thing I do not like is the fact that the street legal version will be equipped with smaller rims. We should let Sur Ron know that we want the same rims as the MX on the street legal version.
20191107_151720.jpg

why would you want large diameter wheels for a street bike?? you can always change the wheels aftermarket..

"Price is unknown but going by some dealer websites the bike is expected to cost around £8,000 on the UK market.."
stagmotorcycles.co.uk/pages/sur-ron-storm

I think most riders prefer smaller wheels on the road.

I rode a 21" and 19" setup on a my friends dirtbike with street tires and the 21" front tire felt pretty bad at most road speeds. It really resisted turning like a giant gyroscope.

The trick is being able to afford both sets of wheels and tires so you can ride anywhere. :D

£8,000 seems a bit higher than I'd hoped.

Could be a cool stop-gap commuter if it does hit Australian shores - next year might actually produce some options for me to actually consider. Good stuff.

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
bigbore said:
20191107_151720.jpg

why would you want large diameter wheels for a street bike?? you can always change the wheels aftermarket..

For me it would be an enduro motorbike and the license plate would only be necessary to go from my home to the off road trails. In the past I owned a Suzuki DR350 and used it in off-road, now I have a Honda VTR 1000F and on the paved road is the best bike I've ever had.

Grantmac said:
Until they release prices and availability it's hard to be enthusiastic.

The guy in the orange shirt in my picture said the MX will be sold for $ 7k

bigbore said:
Grantmac said:

In my opinion thats too expensive for the specs, maybe 5.5-6k would be closer to correct. I think this will be a very competitive market segment and anything coming out of China will need to be priced significantly lower than a Japanese or European bike.

Grantmac said:
bigbore said:
Grantmac said:

In my opinion thats too expensive for the specs, maybe 5.5-6k would be closer to correct. I think this will be a very competitive market segment and anything coming out of China will need to be priced significantly lower than a Japanese or European bike.

agreed - the lightbee exists in a niche market - unique, small, light/agile, cheap. the strom is entering a market that is relatively mature, with several other more established players already providing good options - ie not a niche market. The stormbee is no longer unique, small, light... and possibly not even that cheap.

note, im not saying it is/will be crap by any means, just that the lightbee has several particular and very unique advantages in the market, that the stormbee will not. If / when I step up to a 'full size' bike from my lightbee, then I'll have several very promising competitors to choose form (Zero, KTM, Alta (should it ever come back as another brand), etc just to name a few), vs none (afaik) that compete directly with the lightbee, as well as the relative ease with which an ICE MX can be converted to electric.

I was hoping/wishing for $5-6k USD. Probably not going to happen. Can get used Alta for $7.5 which is still going for a premium for a defunct manufacturer. Wish I could have picked up a bankruptcy edition where I heard the Alta was selling for $5k. If the light bee is $3.5k at a third of the cost, I would rather just buy two of those instead of the Storm.
I really just want a more powerful light bee, with wider rear/front tires and a bit more cush suspension and seat. Added seat height so it doesn't feel like a kid's bike. The weight of the Storm bee seem to heavy. Maybe someday.

dirkdiggler said:
I was hoping/wishing for $5-6k USD. Probably not going to happen. Can get used Alta for $7.5 which is still going for a premium for a defunct manufacturer. Wish I could have picked up a bankruptcy edition where I heard the Alta was selling for $5k. If the light bee is $3.5k at a third of the cost, I would rather just buy two of those instead of the Storm.
I really just want a more powerful light bee, with wider rear/front tires and a bit more cush suspension and seat. Added seat height so it doesn't feel like a kid's bike. The weight of the Storm bee seem to heavy. Maybe someday.

damn I'd have got one at 5k too had i known they were that cheap! only issue I have with 'em is they're high voltage so its harder to BYO battery when the stock one goes out.

and yea i hear ya - for about 2k you can get 2-3x the power out of the surron... I hear you RE the bikeness of the lightbee but i love the nimbleness - I ride it around my back yard over small jumps etc - great fun after work. full size bike would be too cumbersome in what is essentially a 12x10m space, dotted with a few trees and plants.

That seems to be the non road legal version (no lights, mirror, etc.). So the price for the street edition will likely be higher and differ for other countries due to import taxes. Hopefully it will be around €7500,- in the EU but maybe as high as €7995,-. If it's even higher then that they will suffer selling many of them.
Get a set of 17" wheels on it and it's an electric SuperMoto :twisted:

:bigthumb:
Thanks for the post! $7k will be a decent price for this bike, $5k would still be better. This will be hard to ship, are they going to set up a dealer network or how they doing this?
Found this from the above post. Why do people still video in portrait, c'mon?!???
[youtube]27Ev5Fw_1IY[/youtube]

Back