hanging a battery

goatman

10 MW
I bought my son a kona coiler with a 15 inch frame then I got a deal on a used kit. the problem is the only place to put the battery is upside down under the frame and the front tire. its a hailong case? and it has the gear clamps to go around the tube but there is no way that it will last a day of riding without snapping off. is there a battery case out there any of you had success with?

I was thinking of using a 4inch aluminum square tube to bolt to the frame but his battery is a 65cell 13s5p and wont fit inside. never thought of Velcro, I could drill and rivet the frame to mount the battery base, click on the battery, wrap the entire battery to frame with Velcro, nice and simple. thanks

Note that when mounted upside down, the battery case will hold any water that manages to infiltrate. I have repaired two batteries for others that were badly damaged this way. It might be a good idea to drill a hole or two at the low point of the battery case, to drain any moisture that gets in.

For what it's worth, the physical mountings of those water-damaged batteries held up just fine.

On my Kona build, I just went with a backpack battery... It worked out great, less weight on the bike, and now I've used the same backpack on a bunch of different quickie builds.

Getting the battery right turns out to be the hardest part of a home build, and on some I've realised after a couple of rides that I didn't like the handling or the fit or something, to where all the battery mounting time would have been wasted.

I agree about the backpack, ive done it before and will be doing it for a mid drive build im about to do but this bike is for my 12 year old son. he lives with his mom so I need a fairly fool proof and easy solution. the pack is 13s5p wich is too heavy to mount up high on the cross bar. I have a 13s4p I haven't put together yet that he will probably get instead, its a pound lighter that way. have you mounted any batteries to a spine protector? I was thinking of doing some 4s4p packs in series for 16s4p on a spine protector

Your best option may well be a rear rack, and mount the battery there. On the downtube, especially with no fender, its not a great place to hang a battery and ride when its wet. A rack can be turned into a fender, with a scrap of plastic, at least keeping the wheel spray off it.

Full suspension and rear racks don't always go well together... And for actual off-road riding, having the battery weight that high and that far back really really kills the handling...

This is the kind of bike the OP was talking about btw.

2006 Kona Coiler.jpg

that's the bike, im putting the battery under Kona. I made a rear rack for a full suspension Devinci Magma. its a pain the ass, literally, the battery will smack you in the ass or the seat. you need 4 mounting points on the same lower swing arms and the rest of the linkage has to move freely, the lower swing arms on a devinci aren't at the same level/elevation. I still have the rack but wont be putting it on this bike.

goatman said:
I bought my son a kona coiler with a 15 inch frame then I got a deal on a used kit. the problem is the only place to put the battery is upside down under the frame and the front tire. its a hailong case? and it has the gear clamps to go around the tube but there is no way that it will last a day of riding without snapping off. is there a battery case out there any of you had success with?
How good a deal is good, and how used is the battery? That bike would look great with a custom battery inside of the triangle...

the deal was $500 cad, g310, 20amp grinfinion, ca3.1, 24 pole pas sensor and a grin potentiometer, v4? torque arm battery is 13s5p- 16ah in dolphin case built by keith (grin), I opened it up and cant remember the brand of cell buts its a high quality cell (im a 25r guy and don't really care for 10amp cells) and a charger with a fan. its a 15 inch frame and theres no way to stuff 52 cells in there and still have the shock move. ill be out hooking it up this weekend. if that battery is too heavy I have 52 Panasonics waiting to be used on something, my other sons bike has real crappy m26 cells in a 13s4p case so I was going to give him this 5p and use the 4p on the kona if theres weight issues

Back