la Nina rears her ugly head

Nice dusting of snow on the mountains behind the house. :)

Detailed Forecast
This Afternoon
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 53. Southeast wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Tonight
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 43. South wind around 5 mph becoming east after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Thursday
Scattered showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 62. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 43. Calm wind.
Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 66. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 45.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 72.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 46.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 75.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 45.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 72.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 42.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 68.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 42.
Wednesday
A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 67.

Finally a chance of showers in the extended forecast here. Probably just in time for Thanksgiving. I'll take rain over power shutdowns any day.

We hit a record high temp of 83F yesterday and its 68F this morning most likely another record day but we broke records for cold couple weeks ago. The humidity is 87 this morning wish it would just rain the ground here is dry.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1NVr5-G8Vms&feature=youtu.be :mrgreen:

Tuesday Night
Rain likely, mainly after 4am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 42. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Wednesday
Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 50. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Wednesday Night
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Cloudy, with a low around 41.
Thanksgiving Day
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Cloudy, with a high near 45.
Thursday Night
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36.
Friday
Showers likely. Partly sunny, with a high near 48.
Friday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36.
Saturday
A slight chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 51.

I'm looking forward to the first significant rain since May. Hopefully no more power shutdowns, but now the chance of an actual power failure caused by high winds. They're predicting a little over 0.5" here. It's a start.

Surprised you're not receiving more since socal has the same prediction, and usually the Bay area gets a lot more than us. Supposed to start early AM tomorrow, then on and off for a couple of days.

Post Nov 19 2019 9:39pm

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
****************************************************************************************** :)

Supposed to start raining late tonight, though not much (maybe a tenth of an inch).

But Thursday it's expected for up to an INCH of rain, and up to half an inch Friday.

Then mostly clear a few days, and start the rain thing over again next Wed.

Seems like it's going to be rainy on all my days off for a while. :/

My gauge registered 1.4 inches since yesterday. Most of it came in about a one hour window where it was really pouring.
Finally the fire season should be over. Thanksgiving should be sunny but back to rain for the weekend.

Next one on the way here is being called an Atmospheric River.

All told, this system, Saturday through
Tuesday with rain and following showers, could bring widespread
rain amounts in the 2-4" range with coastal mountains picking up
4-6" while the most impacted areas could see 7-12". Wind could
gust across South Bay and Monterey mountains into the 60+ mph
range at its peak, while some prime valleys could gust into the
20-30 mph range.

Hope I'm not in that most impacted area.

Lost power for ~2 hours last night. I have a couple UPS plugged in series so I was able to use my wifi router for the 2 hours to get internet and phone service on my tablets and laptops. I was just about ready to hook up my inverter to the Volt for power for the freezer and fridge when the power came back on. I think I will wire some big Andersen forklift plugs on the Volt's 12V battery so as to make it easier to hook up the inverter in the future. I was told the the Volt has a 2k watt DC/DC converter so my 1500W inverter should cover my household needs in a emergency.

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
:twisted:

Atmospheric River staying far north of here. Next chance of rain on Tuesday night through Wednesday. Another chance next Saturday.
https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/pacsouthwest_loop.php

I guess the atmospheric river is still aimed in my direction. Still coming down pretty good. Picked up another 3" since last report. That makes 7" since Saturday morning. Luckily the ground is still not saturated, but will be pretty soon at this rate. It would be a really bad time to try crossing the Sierras to Reno right now.

Edit: At least another inch overnight. It was too dark to read the gauge but it was getting close to full. According to the radar, there are some areas to the south of me that are getting a lot more than I am, so they must be flooding by now.

The County of Monterey has been and still is getting slammed by the storm. :twisted:

Detailed Forecast
Tonight
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. Calm wind.
Tuesday
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 69. Calm wind.
Tuesday Night
Rain likely between 10pm and 4am, then showers after 4am. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 49. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Wednesday
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 10am, then rain and possibly a thunderstorm between 10am and 4pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 4pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 60. Southeast wind 10 to 15 mph becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
Wednesday Night
A chance of showers, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 61.
Thursday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45.
Friday
Partly sunny, with a high near 63.
Friday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44.
Saturday
A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 60.
Saturday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44.
Sunday
A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 60.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 42.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 66.

Got 4.8" since last dump, bringing the weekend total to 8.8". That's a lot of rain. Now it's just drizzling with another storm system forecast for Thursday night.

Back