How to remove a stuck pivot bolt

Oh right! Success at last. I finally got the pivot free. Free from the frame anyway.

After multiple attempts to press it out, hammering it and using an actual penetrant (instead of WD40 degreaser), I was still getting nowhere.

So I thought, if I can just cut the exposed pivot down flush to the frame, I should be able to twist out the suspension piece. So I very carefully Dremeled it down and was able to angle the suspension coil enough to free it from the frame's eyelet.

Luckily, I bought a spare suspension coil. I doubt I'll be reusing this one. Unless I can get a replacement barrel, or maybe somehow free the pivot from it. The bushings are all split anyway.

I want to thank you guys for helping me through this.

Attachments

• IMG_20191124_014241.jpg
    IMG_20191124_014241.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,180
  • IMG_20191124_014225.jpg
    IMG_20191124_014225.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,180
Nice. Put grease on the new pin when you put it back together. It must have seized onto the bushing.

fechter said:
Nice. Put grease on the new pin when you put it back together. It must have seized onto the bushing.

I'll keep that in mind. When I assembled this bike 3 years ago, I had no idea there was a barrel inside, let alone understand that the bushings were just external rings that slide on. I thought they were imbedded right through our something.

I also suspect that I might have over tightened at some stage. I can cast my mind back to when there was some side to side play between the front and rear parts of the frame. I tried tightening the main pivot, then I went to tighten the coil's pivot bolts. It's possible that I might have squeezed the barrel out of shape maybe.

Anyway, I'm soaking the barrel in penetrant to see if I can free it at all. I'm somewhat curious to see if my theory checks out.

Ideally, there should be bushings each side, meeting in the middle in the shock eyelet instead of one long bushing. Bushings must be soft alu. They need frequent servicing unless the shock eyelet has a greasing zerk. In any case, the bushings should be replaced once a year. It is not over-tightening that caused the pivot and bushing to seize, only lack of maintenance. Over-tightening the pivot bolt can damage the frame, it is normally fitted with a Nylock nut and requires little torque.

Hello everyone, I've currently got the same problem but it won't move at all. I've tried everything a thick elastic band, and dabbing some glue on it. I also tried heating the frame, but nothing seems to work. It just doesn't budge at all. Any ideas please?

I'd lob the shock shaft off, cut a segment out of the middle of the bushing allowing the shaft stump to be removed, then tap the two remaining nubs out using lots of profanity as lubrication.

HarryC said:
Hello everyone, I've currently got the same problem but it won't move at all. I've tried everything a thick elastic band, and dabbing some glue on it. I also tried heating the frame, but nothing seems to work. It just doesn't budge at all. Any ideas please?

Have you tried the C clamp? That got me half way there.

I've tried the C clamp, I think I've loosened the threads a little bit, but I've rounded the head of the bolt so I can't really get any grip to pull it out.

HarryC said:
I've tried the C clamp, I think I've loosened the threads a little bit, but I've rounded the head of the bolt so I can't really get any grip to pull it out.

Could we see some images of what exactly you're dealing with?
Is your pivot also holding a suspension coil like mine was or is it another pivot altogether?

After about a week of soaking the pivot in penetrant, I managed to get it out of it's barrel. Yeah, I think the culprit was corrosion.

There was a thick dark band around that last stubborn bit. And looking inside the little barrel, there looks to be something that looks like some rough surface spots right near the exit, in the side I was struggling to well... Exit.

Also, a few dark bands on The outside of the barrel mostly towards that exit side.

Just out of curiosity, I took the other pivot bolt from that suspension (the one that came out easily) and tried to insert it into this barrel, and sure enough it jams right at that end. Can't slide it past that entry/exit point either way I insert it.

Attachments

• IMG_20191130_013344.jpg
    IMG_20191130_013344.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,047
  • IMG_20191130_013507.jpg
    IMG_20191130_013507.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,047
  • IMG_20191130_013600.jpg
    IMG_20191130_013600.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,047
Back