The Frey HT1000 - And yes, HT stands for Hardtail! *updated*

guel135 said:
Hi! I am a newbie in the forum and I getting this bike soon. I am from Spain but nowadays I live in South Germany Heidelberg.

It is already in the shipping process and I hope I can get my bike the first days of the new year.
I will use it for commute every day 100kms (I order 2 chargers for charge also in my job) and I am getting the 2,4 supermoto x tire for fast riding. I am quite fit with the road bike and I do this 52kms usually in 2h and it is not only tarmacked it is also a forest with good pavement and some gravel. I hope with this bike I can do in around 1h 15 min with that is enough. If not I will use my car (also in rainy and cold days)

I have some questions:
- How much is the range for commuting? In what conditions?
- I want to buy the 48t, do I need to look for a special one? what bolts sizing is?

Regards,
Miguel

I bought this 48T chainring and it fits perfect https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32976074805.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2cf64c4dFsUKKw

Hello Miguel, welcome to the (small) club of Frey HT owners. Did you get the 27.5" version?

It's quite a distance you do every day. Look forward to hear your experiences and please share some pictures. :thumb:

Yes, I got the 27,5 but with "Normal" 2.4 supermoto x tires. With the Magura brakes upgrade and the recon shox. If not the break will be only 180 and I weight around 95kg and I need big brakes :)

Yes, it is going to be challenging drive 105kms a day even with the ebike. But I plan to do it not all the days.
I will also see how the battery works around 0 degrees. I did some commuting last year at -5 degrees but It was only 20kms to my previous job and I hope I dont need to ride 25kgs bike the last 15kms only with my legs.

Hi i'm Clem from France, 34yrs
I will probably buy the HT1000 too
I never found the information, how fast this bike is going (for a commuter use like our friend guel135)
On a flat road with no wind, how much is he able?
It's a powerfull 1000w but heavy frame, i hope he can reach 55- 60km/h like the bbs02...
In a classic 48V 21Ah config

(I saw frey blocks it to 50km/h..)

In my place only boring flat roads...
Thx

Hi Clem, I will let you know when I have the bike. I will commute near to France (Karlsruhe) let me know if you want to try the bike.

Hi Guel135 thanks a lot, with pleisure. I'm not so far from Strasbourg and Karlsruhe that would be nice to see this frey ht1000 through you.
I tried some models of kits to make e-bikes and also new e-bikes since my first one was stolen. This powerful model seems to be very interesting, the best is to talk about it with his owner.
You must be impatient to receive it, let me know your feeedback when you get it :thumb:

Yes... counting the days and also thinking is going to come just in Christmas than I go to Spain and probably I would receive the packet but I cannot mount it :(

Really I don't live in Karlsruhe, I live in Heidelberg and I will try to commute ther. And of course, I will be happy to show you the bike and I will let you when the bike is here.

I'm up to 55miles and still some charge left, I estimate 70 mile range. If you can stretch the battery with some of your own fitness, then it will last 4 years rather than 2 (if you charge twice a day).

You're commute looks very flat, so it might be worth you programming your controller to get the most efficient assist level for your commute to squeeze every drop from the battery in an attempt to do it in one charge. Also if you keep an eye on your watts level and keep it below 400 at 50kph then you should make it both ways.

I think someone else mentioned front sprocket, I have swapped to a 48t (max fit before hitting the chainstay), you will be spinning fast with the standard 42t at 50kph (do the math - 95 cadence with a 42t, 84 with a 48t)

Thanks for the info about the range, if it like you said it will be nice to have a charge something like 30% to 90% 2x time per commute and the battery will be healthy some much time. Probably one of the first things, when I get the bike, will be putting a 48t chainring. About putting some watts over the ebike I am so used to do 70/100kms with a road bike with 26kpmh average (15mph) that I would feel bad not to try to push myself even in an ebike. I think also the supermotox 2.4 (they also offer me 2.8) will increase a little bit the range.

About my commute is quite awesome, even thinking that I live so near to small mountains but the way to work is super flat, bike lanes, very very small roads (not even with lines draw) and path through the forest. All in a straight line. (Attached a picture)

But I don't plan to go every day, at least in the winter and also when the weather is bad/feel lazy I work from home office many days. I also really love my car and driving in the Autobahn with no speed limit but I like even more biking.

I have even some colleagues saying that I will not do more than 10 times per year but I am kind of stubborn.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-13 at 10.33.15.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-13 at 10.33.15.png
    125.5 KB · Views: 3,322
I think this bike would be a superior city/commute bike compared to the AM1000 which is a superior trail bike.

What is the standover height on the medium? Can anyone measure? I assume it's similar to the AM1000 but just wanted to check.

I would love to test or demo the AM or HT1000. Is Frey going to have demo bikes available at the Sea Otter Classic? I may make a trip for a day or two just to test ride these bikes!

As a general question about the bafang ultra, how much effort subjectively speaking is required to maintain the top speed of 37+ mph? This is assuming stock wheel sizes + 46 to 50 tooth chainring?

formula101 said:
Is Frey going to have demo bikes available at the Sea Otter Classic?
Yes Frey plans to have all current production models available for testing at the Sea Otter event, see you there!

I have been doing a couple of test rides with the HT and it's a great bike in the standard setup.

It's easy to do about 35km/h on pedal support and that's fast enough on Thai roads as it's dangerous on the roads here! I didn't try max speed PAS yet.

Throttle full speed on the 29er HT in full stock configuration is 56 km/h so far.
I did try the Eggrider system but didn't get better results, I will need to study that system further to see if it has a benefit for me.

What is the weight of the HT1000? I assume it is similar to the Flx Blade which claims 48 lb without battery but not sure how much they are fibbing.

Richard N said:
stew said:
-Hi Richard
-Cam from Duncan
-did Fedex drop in Victoria -extra cost ?
-I am interested in the Med frame-30"inseam -sounds right
-did you get a bigger chain ring 46-48 ?
-any other info appreciated
-Cam@jamelot2@gmail.com
----Thanks Cam

Hello Cam

It will arrive in Richmond, from there FedEx will contact you to resolve the Customs charges. I did have the bike delivered to Victoria but it did not come through FedEx if was with a 3rd party and I did not pay extra.

I'm 30" as well and went with the medium frame and am happy with it.

I did not change the chainring, and so far, I have no plans to do so.

I am interested in an HT1000, primarily for transportation, just getting around. I occasionally ride on trails, but not technically challenging trails... the kind of trails that people walk on with kids. I need to decide on frame size. My inseam is about 30-31in (about 76cm, or 32in / 81cm with shoes on) and I am about 6'1" (185cm) tall. Grace recommended the XL frame, based on my height. I think I should prioritize standover height, I am leaning toward the Large Frame size. Does anybody have an HT1000 with the large frame size? How tall are you, and do you know your inseam?

Sinbord1981 (Simon from https://www.facebook.com/AdrenalineEbikes in the UK) and I exchanged a few PMs, he thought a large frame would work for me, I suspect he is right (Thanks again for your advice Simon!). Does anybody else have any sage advice? Many thanks!

I hope next week I can get mine and my height is 1,84m. Usually, I ride always in my bikes Size L (Cannondale, Mondraker) and in road bike 56cm. I hope I was right because I didt though about getting XL size.

Most riders can make multiple frame sizes work for them.

It would be great if buyers report back on sizing.

guel135 said:
I hope next week I can get mine and my height is 1,84m. Usually, I ride always in my bikes Size L (Cannondale, Mondraker) and in road bike 56cm. I hope I was right because I didt though about getting XL size.
Hi Miguel - Thank you, I suspect you made the right choice, and think FREY bikes are likely sized like the others. I think I will go with the Large size too. I have one more day to change my mind. :D I hope you get your bike soon. I read this entire thread and would like to see pix of your bike and to hear how the commute goes! Best of luck, Mike.

I checked, I have about 15 cm clearance in standover height, based on a Frey HT in XL with 29" wheels and wearing sport shoes.

I am 1m92 tall and my inseam jeans size is 34.

mikespub said:
I am interested in an HT1000, primarily for transportation, just getting around. I occasionally ride on trails, but not technically challenging trails... the kind of trails that people walk on with kids. I need to decide on frame size. My inseam is about 30-31in (about 76cm, or 32in / 81cm with shoes on) and I am about 6'1" (185cm) tall. Grace recommended the XL frame, based on my height. I think I should prioritize standover height, I am leaning toward the Large Frame size. Does anybody have an HT1000 with the large frame size? How tall are you, and do you know your inseam?

I'm 1.8m-ish, PBH 86cm, wear a 32" inseam pant, ride a 56-58cm touring road bike... I bought the large (w/ 27.5+ wheels) and think it's the right size for me. SO height is tight but it works for me as I'd generally want to ride a bigger bike for comfort reasons.

I think I probably could have fit just fine on a medium as well.

I had a lot of trouble figuring out how I'd fit before I bought since the geometry isn't like anything else I've ridden/could easily find.

formula101, entropic and brake034, Thank you all. Your replies are helpful with the uncertainty from online ordering. I am in the same boat as entropic - do not have experience with this type of frame geometry (Nor a 1000W motor!). I think/hope this info will help other FREY customers in the future as well. My Best, Mike.

After a non-trivial and undue amount of hang-wringing, navel-gazing, and kvetching... I ordered my HT1000 today. (Psyche!) I think the happiest person will be Grace at FREY... because she wont need to answer my questions and talk me off the ledge anymore.

Congrats Mike, I am sure you will not be disappointed.
Any plans to come to Sea Otter?

Sea Otter sounds like great fun, but I will not be coming. I live on the other side of the US, unfortunately that is too far/expensive for me.

Back