Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Just had a thought. Wonder if I am going to run into trouble trying to green sticker register it for ohv here in California. Since they won't know anything about the bike and it will have no Vin.

Jasonjm said:
i didn't, i made a deal, asked them to give me a better price with a 2nd battery included.

they dont know how many kwh the batteries will be, and they dont know what forks / suspension will be installed

talk about ordering in the dark lol

No kidding. I wonder how close to production they really are since they could not confirm as basic things as kWh rating for the battery pack or forks and rear shock. The battery rating is really important ... LOL

Did they confirm to you a shipping date for your order?

also asked about regen braking.

for a bike that is suppled to be for sale in 60 days, the internet and the sellers seem to know not much about it

Jasonjm said:
well I guess I will be the forum guinea pig. I am busy placing an order on the alibaba thing. Storm bee + extra 2nd battery + shipping to los angeles for $8000

btw I already own one sur ron, to get a sur ron up to spec for real abuse and a 2nd battery is more than $8000

Friendly reminder, SUR RON official so far have not sold any SUR RON products in Alibaba. There will be no official warranty if SUR RON bike is purchased from alibaba

ah well, now its a lost cause lol

ill just keep riding my 300 until these specs are ironed out and someone official sells it

i really really wish honda would release a their electric prototype erex so a tier 1 manufacturer would have an electric bike

Jasonjm said:
ah well, now its a lost cause lol

ill just keep riding my 300 until these specs are ironed out and someone official sells it

i really really wish honda would release a their electric prototype erex so a tier 1 manufacturer would have an electric bike

Then why not an electric KTM?
https://www.ktm.com/en/e-ride/
That is a reputed off road bike manufacturer, is it not? Or is it the price that's the problem? Because I don't suspect Honda or any other tier 1 manufacturer will be much cheaper when they produce an electric bike like this...

i rode the KTM freeride (in italy)

I liked it, a lot. Its not quite a full size bike, but a lot bigger and a lot more sturdy than the surron light bee.

but the bike with 2 batteries is like $15 000 if I remember.

irony is that the surron light bee when driven on technical trails with the X controller will probably be just as fast or close to the freeride and I reckon will outlast the freeride in distance.

maybe the solution is as follows: keep my 300 gas bike for more open / long distance non crazy trail riding. Get a surron light bee with the 88v battery pack whenever luna makes it, put in a 60T and use that for technical trail riding. Kind of the best of both worlds. I have to admit that super low weight on the surron light bee is really convenient.

Jasonjm said:
i rode the KTM freeride (in italy)

I liked it, a lot. Its not quite a full size bike, but a lot bigger and a lot more sturdy than the surron light bee.

but the bike with 2 batteries is like $15 000 if I remember.

irony is that the surron light bee when driven on technical trails with the X controller will probably be just as fast or close to the freeride and I reckon will outlast the freeride in distance.

maybe the solution is as follows: keep my 300 gas bike for more open / long distance non crazy trail riding. Get a surron light bee with the 88v battery pack whenever luna makes it, put in a 60T and use that for technical trail riding. Kind of the best of both worlds. I have to admit that super low weight on the surron light bee is really convenient.
That's what I did. I still have my 300xc along with a nicely modified Light Bee. I only use the 300 for really long rides. There are certain types of shorter trails where the 300's suspension and size would make it faster than the Light Bee but I have more fun on the much lighter, slightly slower bike.

How's this for fishy - the website says:

You can get yours today for only $3,999, taking $500 off MSRP. By paying the full amount up front, you cut the line and get delivery faster than pre-ordering.

But below that it states:

Estimated Shipping

March 2020 - first come, first serve.

So you can get it today by paying the full amount up front but not receive it until March. :roll:

why cant luna just get that hotrod battery kit upgrade thing going? and make a real ready to go bike, with proper forks, proper shock, proper wheels. proper tires, etc etc, seems like such a lost opportunity.

probably better that segway is getting involved, luna just doesnt inspire confidence. have you ever called their office to get that terrible message on the machine that sounds like it was recorded in 1982.... just bad

Jasonjm said:
why cant luna just get that hotrod battery kit upgrade thing going? and make a real ready to go bike, with proper forks, proper shock, proper wheels. proper tires, etc etc, seems like such a lost opportunity.

I wholeheartedly agree that Luna is missing a huge opportunity - if nothing else than offering upgraded battery packs and controller kits. Probably at least half of everyone that has purchased a Sur Ron would seriously consider an upgraded pack and controller...

Jasonjm said:
probably better that segway is getting involved, luna just doesnt inspire confidence. have you ever called their office to get that terrible message on the machine that sounds like it was recorded in 1982.... just bad

Personally, I don't think Segway is the type of company that will be offering high performance options. They seem much more consumer oriented to me.

i dont understand why surron themselves dont offer higher quality batteries at the very least. Would be easy for them.

nothing wrong with it but it could hold a lot more power, for either longer runtime or more torque, they not using the best cells

Merlin, what do you mean. What's wrong with what? Is it the original Sur Ron pack or the Ligo's that are great? I know nothing about the Ligo's, I can just barely remember a video Grin released a few years back, and iirc they didn't disclose much about what cells they used, rather they focused on the possibilities to bring those smaller packs in your carry on while traveling by air. I know the sur ron pack, but I also know people have talked about doing their own builds to cram out even more power after doing a controller upgrade. So hard to know what battery you mean are great.

i mean the stock surron battery. they using PF cells. 10A rated. so in a 11p config you have 110A "only"
but thats OK since the whole bike has stock power of ~5KW only. BMS cuts at ~85A.

PF Cells are well known for longlivety.

The new Surron has VTC6. So if same qulity of Battery build comes here into play the stock storm bee battery will pretty good as well.

theres still no competition out there what can beat the price/quality of surrons light bee.

Are you suggesting Sur-Ron has plans to abandon its current PF cell and move to the VTC6 in all bike? If so, where did you come about such information?

I think he is talking about the Storm Bee that apparently has Sony VTC6 cells...

Back