Another "stealth bomber" build.

It has been dirty and wet here for some time now, but I have been riding at the weekends anyway.
It is to dark in the evenings..

P5E86F0l.jpg

2OqQTlml.jpg

Washing after a ride has been required. The controller has been doing fine, and has not gotten too hot when it has been sprayed with water and dirt. The motor is another story. The hubsinks don´t seem to make much difference, I think I need more statoraid. The last rides the motor has been 120-140c

I finally got my 24fet nucular controller :D

ERvvCznl.jpg

The included mount for the display didn't work with my handlebars mount, so I made an adapter:

Vu216k1l.jpg

It turned out to be unnecessary long, so I shortened it about 6mm.

HpWr7Prl.jpg

No more zip tied watt meter without a casing :)
I also added a thumb throttle on the left side for regen brake.

Wi4hKgml.jpg

And there it is. I have only been testdriving very little so far.
So far only 400 phase A and 200 battery A :wink:
It is wet and dark here..

nice - just got mine too, destined for my surron. they're damn small controllers for their power... about half the size of the surron controller for 4x the power!

With 500 phase A and 250 battery A I need to sit on the frame and lean with the whole body over the handlebars to keep the front wheel down :D I have the e-bike grin from ear to ear, I have to try to keep my mouth closed so the head don't fall off :lol:
It is fast too, with 60A feald weakening. 92kpm feels really fast on my bike with knobby tires. (about 80kpm without)

I`m thinking, why limit to 250, when I can have 300A?
And I have set the speed to 120%, I had almost the same speed with 30A feald weakening, maybe I should set 150%?
And maybe try 100A feald weakening?

First "real" testdrive in the woods:

EsDEvVQl.jpg

As far as I could see the controller was about 20 degrees C all the time :shock:
I think it was 18 degrees when I started. It is rather cold outside, about 5-7 degrees.
It was almost liquid cooled with all the cold water and dirt splash, but impressive anyway.
Max phase A 488, and 20kw
The motor was 108 degrees at the end, slightly colder than usual. Perhaps I rode a little slower than usual, but not very much.
Top speed 63km/h, average 26 I think. (It is all in the woods) I have to check the speed with a gps, I have not done that yet.

Dropouts..
I decided it was time to do something about them. I saw another member broke the axle, and I want to try to prevent it to happen to me if possible.
High power and strong regen is not the dropouts best friends:

Cv7usRLl.jpg

I have removed the clamping bolt. It was just M5, but 12.9 quality. It was stronger than the dropout.. I had to bend it up again to be able to get the wheel out.

It was not a good fit from the start, I was able to put almost 1mm of schims between the axle and dropouts:

OQTgsxfl.jpg

Here are the schims, clamping bolts and a torque arm I had on the beefier part of the axle. It is bent and not a tight fit anymore.

Time for some modifications:

ioEWFVkl.jpg

I cut off the outer shell on the dropouts, and made a slit to be able to clamp it in front of the axle.
I also took the opportunity to improve the front mount for the fender.

First welding session of several:

uTMeI3Hl.jpg

And the fender mount gets these tube inserts for bolts through. I considered welding in nuts, but I decided to do it like this instead.

pretty interessting how weak this kind of steel is.
dont want to make any advertisement for qulbix(because they politics suck), but if you check how "tiny" those dropouts are....
withstand years at 15-20kw of hub massacre.

that your m5 bolts are able to bend the steel is just ridiculous.
didnt scrolled up to your start posts to check what frame it is but this frame/swingarm just sucks.

the only good thing about is your mans work fixing skills ;)

Yes, the steel is really soft. To drill through 8mm of steel is done in no time :?

It would have been better to get someone to mill better dropouts and weld in. But in that case I could just as well have built a better swing.. Or maybe frame.
This swing is really heavy, it could probably be a lot lighter and still stronger.

I just realized I missed a picture in the last post:

4jsVWyll.jpg

This is the improvement of the fender mount :wink:

My plan was to finish yesterday, but now it is starting to get finished.

1s06N6ol.jpg

Maybe it is a little overkill..
6mm steel on the outsides, and 5mm on the inside on the brake side. All welded to the 8mm that was already there.

28ZGai8l.jpg

WZeFeTHl.jpg

One m8 on each side in front of the wheel, and one m10 behind the wheel on the brake side. M8 on the chain side.
On the chain side I also had to move the m8 on the inside a little to give clearance to the sprocket.

Nice work!

Thanks, yea it seems like not much people notice the build threads..

Not much has happened with this bike now, I think I have ridden twice or something after the modification of the rear swing. It has been raining more or less every day, and it is dark and cold in the evenings.
It seems very solid now with both high power and aggressive regen. I thought it would need some re torquing after some riding because of the painted surfaces, but nothing seems to have moved at all.

I have started a motorcycle build that people doesn't seem to notice either:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=103800

I really want the Nucular controller but need to wait for the BMS set up. Sounds like it really woke your bike up. What’s low through high throttle response like? Instantaneous, quick or slow?

Tom

The other controller was nice too, but it was sensorless. The bike needed to move a little for it to work, and it needed maybe 15km/h to give full power. And it was limited to 360 phase A, and about 150 battery A.

But 500 phase A and 300 battery A made a lot of difference :lol: And full power from a stand still, and the display. Something I miss on the nucular is battery data though. I would like to know the battery sag, and I would like to be able to connect temp sensors for the battery without needing the bms. Hopefully you will get more battery data with the bms, and then I don't mean just cell voltages.
I am interested in the bms for the other project, and use the charge trough controller option.

I have only used torque throttle, but I think the throttle response is really good. Instantaneous or at least really quick, mostly noticeable at lower speeds. I think it is the same at higher speeds too, it is just not the same "bang" experience when already moving relatively fast.

I've really enjoyed reading about this build, you've had a lot of issues to resolve and have done a great job. Thanks for posting details on everything.

Thanks, it is always nice to see that people are reading and are interested in what they see.

I try to make a build thread like I want other build threads to be. I don't think it is very interesting with treads that are like "I built a bike with parts x and y, this is what it looks like"
I think you should be able to find inspiration and information about the stuff used, and that there should be a discussion of problems and how they are solved, and what might have been a better solution.

j bjork said:
Thanks, it is always nice to see that people are reading and are interested in what they see.

I try to make a build thread like I want other build threads to be. I don't think it is very interesting with treads that are like "I built a bike with parts x and y, this is what it looks like"
I think you should be able to find inspiration and information about the stuff used, and that there should be a discussion of problems and how they are solved, and what might have been a better solution.

Hi..great build!
I have a qs205 motor as well in an EEB frame. Im not using a 24F but Im using the sabvoton 72200.
I see what you mean about top speed. Im also not able to get past the 85-90kph mark...so Im always curious how other builds on youtube etc are getting over 100kph and sometimes on lower voltage than mine. Im using 22s pack
Did you set your flux weakening?

ebike11 said:
Hi..great build!
I have a qs205 motor as well in an EEB frame. Im not using a 24F but Im using the sabvoton 72200.
I see what you mean about top speed. Im also not able to get past the 85-90kph mark...so Im always curious how other builds on youtube etc are getting over 100kph and sometimes on lower voltage than mine. Im using 22s pack

I haven't played very much with the field weakening, but I think it would be possible to get over 100kph.
I checked, and I have set 68A field weakening. With that I get about 90kph relatively fast. After that it is slow to gain speed. I could probably set a lot higher, it seems like they use 300A on the surron or qs 138 70H (3000w mid drive)
I haven't really wanted to go faster with my knobby dirtbike tires.

Some values from my statistics:

L24g5ZA.jpg

j bjork said:
ebike11 said:
Hi..great build!

I haven't played very much with the field weakening, but I think it would be possible to get over 100kph.
I checked, and I have set 68A field weakening. With that I get about 90kph relatively fast. After that it is slow to gain speed. I could probably set a lot higher, it seems like they use 300A on the surron or qs 138 70H (3000w mid drive)
I haven't really wanted to go faster with my knobby dirtbike tires.

Some values from my statistics:

L24g5ZA.jpg

Thanks
You mean 300A for flux weakening on the sur ron?

Man, I have one of these on order from Alibaba now, in the build phase, QS273 V3 motor with the T3.5 wind, 200A Sabvoton controller, 49AH Panasonic battery, DNM US8 fork, DNM rear shock with the 750lb spring and 21" wheels because I'm 6'2.....but after reading this post I'm having major buyers remorse after seeing how crappy this frame and rim is. Good grief so many issues from the soft steel, to the dropouts and the swingarm bushings...etc.

I do a lot of trail riding and am cringing looking at your rim pics. In fact, I fried a controller in the woods today on my 5600watt scooter, 6 miles from my SUV. Thank GOD the front motor still worked and I could get out of there.

Regarding the rear shock, I was actually thinking about taking it to a fabricator and having them make up a bracket and mount it higher up on the frame for the upper shock mount so that I could get a much bigger shock on this thing since that QS273 is like 40 pounds. It may change the bike angle a tad, but I'm also mounting 3" rise pro taper wider handle bars on it to have a more upright position, so that may counteract. In your opinion, shoudl I also have them reinforce the dropouts since that motor cranks out so much torque? Also, how hard is it to replace that swingarm bushing?

Back