Best Hub Motor w/ Built In Controller

Mithion

10 W
I know heat is the big issue but what is the best rear wheel hub motor with a built in controller?

The reason for this is because I want to attempt to build an ultra clean ebike and I do not want to use one of the all in one hubs like the Zehus or Copenhagen wheel etc(they have no range due to the pointless battery pack size). I figure if I can get the controller hidden in the motor than all I have to do is hide wires and build the battery pack into a "tank" on the top tube. The bike will be a cruiser so high power is not needed, I figure up to 1000 watts if possible would be more than enough, less obviously would be fine, to cruise around a boardwalk etc on

Thanks for he help.

Maybe look into the Golden Motor Magic Pie series?

www.goldenmotor.com

I have both a Magic Pie 3 and Magic Pie 5 (sinewave) and never had any issues with the built in contoller (there were reports of failed MP controllers)
I did nearly 10,000kms on my MP3 before converting to external controller for extra speed with no contoller issues and my MP5 is stll running perfect (nearly 3000kms)

Some things to note with the Magic Pie Series though:-
* Magic Pie is pretty heavy (About 8kgs with the rim)
* The Rims they come laced in are not very good quality and the 12g spokes are too thick to get proper tension. Spokes need regular tweaking.
* Get a bare motor and lace to a good quality rim with good quality 13g or 14g spokes and you wont have these isssues
* Golden motor make a smaller version called the Magic Pie edge and an even smaller version called the smart pie if the weight is an issue with the full sized Magic Pie.
* I've run 3500watts (peaks) through my external contollered Magic Pie 3 and it takes its without a problem (I have upgraded phase wires and use Statorade cooling fluid) so no doubt the samller versions can handle much more than thier factory rated power.
* The standard magic pie controllers can be run on batteries from 24v - 52V (just makes more power with higher voltage)
* Recommend to run at 48V or 52V for best performance - about 45km/hr on a 48V pack
* Magic Pie has pretty good low down torque (must be pretty High turn count as my Crystalyte Hub gets nearly 60Km/hr with same Battery and similar amp controller - 30amps and MP gets only 45Km/hr with stock contoller but better hill climber)
* The Android app that comes with the newer Pies is pretty gilitchy - suggest getting a cycle analyst/Battman or other such monitoring display. I used a cycle analyst with external shunt with my first Magic Pie.

lowrider13 said:
Maybe look into the Golden Motor Magic Pie series?

www.goldenmotor.com

I have both a Magic Pie 3 and Magic Pie 5 (sinewave) and never had any issues with the built in contoller (there were reports of failed MP controllers)
I did nearly 10,000kms on my MP3 before converting to external controller for extra speed with no contoller issues and my MP5 is stll running perfect (nearly 3000kms)

Some things to note with the Magic Pie Series though:-
* Magic Pie is pretty heavy (About 8kgs with the rim)
* The Rims they come laced in are not very good quality and the 12g spokes are too thick to get proper tension. Spokes need regular tweaking.
* Get a bare motor and lace to a good quality rim with good quality 13g or 14g spokes and you wont have these isssues
* Golden motor make a smaller version called the Magic Pie edge and an even smaller version called the smart pie if the weight is an issue with the full sized Magic Pie.
* I've run 3500watts (peaks) through my external contollered Magic Pie 3 and it takes its without a problem (I have upgraded phase wires and use Statorade cooling fluid) so no doubt the samller versions can handle much more than thier factory rated power.
* The standard magic pie controllers can be run on batteries from 24v - 52V (just makes more power with higher voltage)
* Recommend to run at 48V or 52V for best performance - about 45km/hr on a 48V pack
* Magic Pie has pretty good low down torque (must be pretty High turn count as my Crystalyte Hub gets nearly 60Km/hr with same Battery and similar amp controller - 30amps and MP gets only 45Km/hr with stock contoller but better hill climber)
* The Android app that comes with the newer Pies is pretty gilitchy - suggest getting a cycle analyst/Battman or other such monitoring display. I used a cycle analyst with external shunt with my first Magic Pie.

Thank you so much for the information.

Back