TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

casainho said:
For testing, I think you can disconnect the wire that power up the motor controller from the display, then, connect directly that wire to the battery voltage. That way the system will work but you will need to cut off the battery power to turn off the system.

Good thought - I disconnected the orange (LCD) and red (motor) leads from each other, and joined the red (motor) end to the brown (LCD)/blue (motor) cable join. I left the now free orange (LCD) lead disconnected.

I still need to hold the power button down (so it does not progress to the next screen - at least I now know this is by design) but the negotiation of firmware versions happens much quicker (presumably because the motor controller is already running and waiting for a signal).

The motor however gives a small kick - this did not happen before. Is the bootup sequence reaching a slightly further state?

FWIW, I have also tested continuity between the cable joints and the 8-pin HIGO-B8 socket, so I am confident the joins are good and that the cable insulation color scheme is as expected.

Thanks again for your help!

What could be the reason, when I configure 850C display, and when I close it and start again, there is default values? Versions: 850C_v0.6.1 and tsdz2 v0.50.0.

dameri said:
What could be the reason, when I configure 850C display, and when I close it and start again, there is default values? Versions: 850C_v0.6.1 and tsdz2 v0.50.0.
I am having the same issue... I can't understand why... it is very annoying. I want to solve it and make a new release Monday, I have a great improvement on the motor firmware that is a must, specifically after the last big improvement on the torque sensor resolution / sensitivity and linearization.

My solution for the config is changing the defaults and program the firmware, but this is for developers like me.

casainho said:
dameri said:
I am having the same issue... I can't understand why... it is very annoying. I want to solve it and make a new release Monday, I have a great improvement on the motor firmware that is a must, specifically after the last big improvement on the torque sensor resolution / sensitivity and linearization.

My solution for the config is changing the defaults and program the firmware, but this is for developers like me.

Ok, thanks. I'll be waiting.

TSDZ2 firmware: motor control resolution increased 4 times!!

New good improvement to the motor firmware, now the assistance is smoother and it is easily noticeable at low power values like bellow 100W.

Previous I improved the torque sensor sensitivity also by 4 times as also implemented full linearization / full calibration. Now, with a so nice sensitivity torque sensor, there is the need to also have a more sensitivity motor control!!

Changelog:
- motor control resolution increased 4 times, meaning a smoother assistance and it is very important at power values like bellow 100W. Previous min power assistance value was 30W, then 60W, then 90W (on a 52V battery) and so on, now it is 8W, 15W, 24W and so on
- added configuration on display for min current value (in ADC steps) while pedaling, even if not presing the pedals. This is nice to keep motor engaged and ready even if rotating pedals with minimal force that it is not even detected by the torque sensor
- corrected issue where the motor had resistance when rotating bicycle backwards
- other small improvements

Download here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/Color_LCD/releases/tag/850C_v0.6.2

btslo said:
Nice work. Is engagement faster too? What's the minimum assist, about 10W?
Engagement is dependent on the current ramp step that you can configure on the display. I didn't changed that.

Min assist is battery current of 0.156 amps * battery voltage, in increased steps of 0.156 amps.

Hi all, I've just finished my 2nd TSDZ2 build.

This 2nd bike is for my girlfriend, but I mucked up. She wanted the same as I had, and I have the 8-pin unit and a throttle, but I never use the throttle. So I just ordered the 6-pin version for her.

Big mistake! Turns out that was the function she was most looking forward to... you live and learn!

Anyway, the kit has all been fitted to the bike and returning it isn't really an option. Also my TSDZ2 has done 3000km so she's not super keen to swap mine for hers.

SO, bit of a longshot but I was wondering if anyone had figured out a way to program a throttle function by pressing a button on the VLCD6 display using the open source firmware?

Cheers!

echew said:
to program a throttle function by pressing a button on the VLCD6 display using the open source firmware?...
If you flash the OSF for default displays with the java GUI, it is possible to set support values for walk assist on every support level.
With these values it is possible to speed up the motor from low to the highest level.
I have read somewhere (but don't know when) that someone has programmed this for that purpose.
If this isn't dangerous or handy I don't know.
Other solution could be, is to enlarge the values of the normal support levels, so there the most support with the least effort.

What is the simple way to change my low voltage cut off?

I have 36v 350w tsdz2

Motor cuts off at 35.5v now

I want to cut off at 28v. How do I change this simply?

Thanks

Chewy said:

I have 36v 350w tsdz2

Thanks
Go to configurations, on battery section. Ready the wiki configurations instructions to understand.

Hi,

I have a very tempermental TSDZ2 which sometimes seems to turn on and run no problem, and other times I get no response unless I REALLY crank down on the pedals, in which case I might get a few 10s of Watts. I thought this might be a dodgy torque sensor, so I bought a new one and it seems to work just fine (checking the raw values on the 9 -> 2 menu it responds really well to changes in torque and has a baseline value of 35). However, I still have this problem where one in maybe every 2 or 3 times I use the bike I get no response, and turning it on and off again doesn't help. Any help with this will be VERY, VERY much appreciated as I am growing tired of starting off my 13 mile ride home with a bike that's 10kg heavier and has a load more resistance on a random basis!

Thanks!

casainho said:
Chewy said:

I have 36v 350w tsdz2

Thanks
Go to configurations, on battery section. Ready the wiki configurations instructions to understand.

Do you have a link?

xlxc34 said:
Hi,

I have a very tempermental TSDZ2 which sometimes seems to turn on and run no problem, and other times I get no response unless I REALLY crank down on the pedals, in which case I might get a few 10s of Watts. I thought this might be a dodgy torque sensor, so I bought a new one and it seems to work just fine (checking the raw values on the 9 -> 2 menu it responds really well to changes in torque and has a baseline value of 35). However, I still have this problem where one in maybe every 2 or 3 times I use the bike I get no response, and turning it on and off again doesn't help. Any help with this will be VERY, VERY much appreciated as I am growing tired of starting off my 13 mile ride home with a bike that's 10kg heavier and has a load more resistance on a random basis!

Thanks!
I advice you to use latest firmware version as it has a few improvements to torque sensor. It also can help you better understand the values, at least see the calculated weight on the pedals.

casainho said:
xlxc34 said:
Hi,

Thanks!
I advice you to use latest firmware version as it has a few improvements to torque sensor. It also can help you better understand the values, at least see the calculated weight on the pedals.

Thanks, I'll give it a try with version 20. If cadence and torque are both working OK, can you think of any other reasons why it would not be giving any power? Do I need a new motor controller?

I’m confused about these updated versions, is V0.50 the motor firmware and its newer than .20? Also, unsure what I do with the boot loader file for the 850c. Last time I flashed one I just used an rs232 adapter and I don’t remember doing anything with this boot loader file
Thanks

xlxc34 said:
Thanks, I'll give it a try with version 20. If cadence and torque are both working OK, can you think of any other reasons why it would not be giving any power? Do I need a new motor controller?
As I told, newest firmware version has improvements on the torque sensor code, you should first try it.

Powerhour said:
I’m confused about these updated versions, is V0.50 the motor firmware and its newer than .20? Also, unsure what I do with the boot loader file for the 850c. Last time I flashed one I just used an rs232 adapter and I don’t remember doing anything with this boot loader file
Thanks
Yes. And the for installing with RS232 adapter you need to use the bootloader file version.

I will try to make wiki more clear on this.

casainho said:
As I told, newest firmware version has improvements on the torque sensor code

I wonder on which branch you are working actually for the controller firmware, as the Master branch wasn't updated since September 2019?! I see a branch 0.50.0 but your recent release is 0.51.0?!

regards
stancecoke

Elinx said:
echew said:
to program a throttle function by pressing a button on the VLCD6 display using the open source firmware?...
If you flash the OSF for default displays with the java GUI, it is possible to set support values for walk assist on every support level.
With these values it is possible to speed up the motor from low to the highest level.
I have read somewhere (but don't know when) that someone has programmed this for that purpose.
If this isn't dangerous or handy I don't know.
Other solution could be, is to enlarge the values of the normal support levels, so there the most support with the least effort.

Awesome, thanks for this! Will have a look into it.

casainho said:
xlxc34 said:
As I told, newest firmware version has improvements on the torque sensor code, you should first try it.
Casainho, I see in the Italian forum that one guy made the hardware calibration of the torque sensor and he experienced a slow drift of the rest value back to higher values over time.
Did you check the "zero" value again after some time? Did you find it stable over time?
I understand this is a fundamental data to check in order to validate your new "linearization concept".
If not, you need perhaps to repeat the software calibration from time to time..?
Thanks

thineight said:
casainho said:
xlxc34 said:
Casainho, I see in the Italian forum that one guy made the hardware calibration of the torque sensor and he experienced a slow drift of the rest value back to higher values over time.
Did you check the "zero" value again after some time? Did you find it stable over time?
I understand this is a fundamental data to check in order to validate your new "linearization concept".
If not, you need perhaps to repeat the software calibration from time to time..?
Thanks
I am still learning and testing. I hope others can share results so we all can learn.

stancecoke said:
casainho said:
As I told, newest firmware version has improvements on the torque sensor code
I wonder on which branch you are working actually for the controller firmware, as the Master branch wasn't updated since September 2019?! I see a branch 0.50.0 but your recent release is 0.51.0?!
I was working on another branch, the branch 0.51.0. But I just merged to master but first did a backup of master to branch to 0.20.0-beta.1. So master is now updated.

I have a question to you, since you are experienced with the torque sensors, etc.

I am being testing to control the motor current instead of the battery current. I like the result. The question is that we measure the pedal human power and then we apply a motor power, if the assist level is 1.0, then both energies are equal and it is easy for user to see both energy values on display and understand the assist level. Controlling instead the motor current, I am thinking in applying the pedal human power to motor current, so, the more energy the user does, the more torque the motor does but that is not the energy as before!! Even looking at the motor energy when controlling the motor current, the energy does not scale as previous when controlling the battery current, so I think is hard for user to understand....

Do you have any ideas about this?

casainho said:
I am being testing to control the motor current instead of the battery current. I like the result. ...
In that case it is maybe interesting for you that ackmaniac this conversion to motorcurrent already did too for the default display version based on v.019.

Elinx said:
casainho said:
I am being testing to control the motor current instead of the battery current. I like the result. ...
In that case it is maybe interesting for you that ackmaniac this conversion to motorcurrent already did too for the default display version based on v.019.
I saw it but that is done in a simple way, instead of using as input human pedal power, it is using only the pedal torque.

I would like to it in a way it is easier to user to understand. And I don´t agree with using as input the pedal torque only, I think it should be the pedal power.

Back