KT LCD Settings

deeph46

10 mW
Hi,

I'm setting up a KT controller and LCD8H with a geared 60V 1000W motor. And little bit problem with motor's magnets count.
For P1 setting,
The P1 settings are a motor characteristic parameter where: P1 = Motor Gear Reduction Ratio × Number of Rotor Magnets Rounding to a full number is necessary. The P1 setting ranges between 1 and 255.

I have told the motor has 8 magnets and reduction gear ratio is 1:23. So is it just 23 X 8 magnets equals 184 and input in P1 setting value is 184?

But I'm not sure if the motor only have 8 magnets. Actually, which magnets that I should count? Magnets on the body? I saw somewhere in the motor have 2 places of magnets but I'm forget where I saw this.

deeph

which motor?

some have sepaate speed sensor wire so if the controller also has separate speed sensor wire then you use the speed sensor's number of poles rather than the motor's, and no gearing/etc is involved.

for instance the bafang g310 uses a six pole speed senosr separate from the motor

ah. then you're stuck with multiplying the poles by the gear ratio to get the number. if that info isn't in the yalu thread, then the manufacturer is the only other place i know of to find it, unless somewhere else on the web happens to have an info page on them.

however.....since that is a middrive, using any speed sensing from it for the speed sensor input on the controller is kinda silly, since it will only tell you the motor speed, not the bike speed.

you would have to put a speed sensor on the wheel to measure bike speed.

They gave the info in the web, that the ratio is 1:23. Just curious they told me only 8 magnets. So do you think it has speed sensor? But the KT controller that I bought dont have speed sensor connection. I might open up the case then.

deeph46 said:
They gave the info in the web, that the ratio is 1:23. Just curious they told me only 8 magnets. So do you think it has speed sensor?

If the hall sensor cable on the motor only has 5 wires, then no. Plus, it's unlikely that a mid-drive motor would have a speed sensor, since the bikes speed will depend on the gearing of the drive train, beyond the motor.

You have to have an external speed sensor on the wheel with a mid drive. Set P2 = 1 on the lCD and the controller will use the external speed sensor input. Then the value of P1 will not be used and it can be anything.

When users don't have an external speed sensor, then the controller will try to calculate speed knowing the P1 value. On a geared motor with clutch, the controllers lose the speed info on coasting because the motor no longer turns. Not a big deal, but t does affect the odometer reasing.

My experience (so I could be wrong) has been that the magnet count and gear ratio info are only for generating the correct speed. In the case of the mid drive (or gear driven hub), you just don't care about the speed it's calculating as you're going to need to use an external speed sensor anyway!

deeph46 said:
They gave the info in the web, that the ratio is 1:23. Just curious they told me only 8 magnets. So do you think it has speed sensor?

irrelevant if it has a speed sensor or not, it's a middrive, you can't sense the bike speed from it.

you must use a separate speed sensor on the wheel itself for that.

the only thing you can tell with any wires coming from the motor is the motor speed.

if motor speed is what you want to display, then using the wires from teh motor will work fine, and you use the numbers the motor manufacturer provided.

if not, then they won't.

I’m looking for wheel speed, so you guys said I have to run speed sensor. But does anyone know how to add the speed sensor to KT controller? The controller itself don’t have speed sensor cable input.

I also checked the magnets in it, it has 8 magnets inside.

there should be a place to add the sensor, though you may have to add wires to the pcb inside to do it.

look up the opensource firwmware threads for the kt kunteng kun teng controllers, by casainho, stancecoke, marcos, etc., as they link to and ahve various wiring info in them for various versions, and should show where to put the sensor.

ended up take a bike speedo meter so it runs independently.

Btw, I tried to run the Yalu motor with KT controller. I managed to run it by change the Hall and Phase combination. But when run it runs slow, about 120 - 135 watts. It looks like there is current limiter or speed limiter. When I tried to run with stock controller it runs smooth and full power. Does anyone know how or idea why the motor run slow when using KT controller?

deeph46 said:

Btw, I tried to run the Yalu motor with KT controller. I managed to run it by change the Hall and Phase combination. But when run it runs slow, about 120 - 135 watts. It looks like there is current limiter or speed limiter. When I tried to run with stock controller it runs smooth and full power. Does anyone know how or idea why the motor run slow when using KT controller?

What is C5 set to?

C5 iscurrent limiter I believe, and I have set to 10.

I noticed the speed half of 72KM/H (37KM/H) that I setup in LCD.

deeph46 said:

re; speed limiter : LCD3 General Project Setting ( page 17 in my manual ) max trip speed comes set at 25 kph default . Display can be set for MPH , but function settings have to be entered as kph. The magnet / poles , wheel size stuff is used to calculate the speed shown on the display. Sometimes have to fudge those numbers to get display speed to match real time GPS . I went with P2=0 and C2=0 on a geared hub motor.

aroundqube said:
re; speed limiter : LCD3 General Project Setting ( page 17 in my manual ) max trip speed comes set at 25 kph default . Display can be set for MPH , but function settings have to be entered as kph. The magnet / poles , wheel size stuff is used to calculate the speed shown on the display. Sometimes have to fudge those numbers to get display speed to match real time GPS . I went with P2=0 and C2=0 on a geared hub motor.
I have setup max 72km/h, which is max setting in the LCD8H and still slow running rear wheel in mid air. Tried P2=0 and C2=0 still running slow (mid air / rear wheel on a bike stand).
But if I ride the bike, acceleration is great. Possibly wheelie. I haven't tried ride for top speed though.

Just wondering, does KT controller/LCD8H has current limiter when running in mid air?

It calculates speed from the wheel size and P1. And it doesn't matter that the speed is bogus because the controller really uses it if there is a speed limit set. I have found that the speed limit setting on KT controllers really works when you set it low. I never had a big enough motor to have it go to 72, so don't know much about the high values. Anyway, your P1 is probably holding you back.

Just experiment. Raise/lower P1 from your initial value of 184. See if no load wheel speed changes.

docw009 said:
It calculates speed from the wheel size and P1. And it doesn't matter that the speed is bogus because the controller really uses it if there is a speed limit set. I have found that the speed limit setting on KT controllers really works when you set it low. I never had a big enough motor to have it go to 72, so don't know much about the high values. Anyway, your P1 is probably holding you back.

Just experiment. Raise/lower P1 from your initial value of 184. See if no load wheel speed changes.
I noticed/heard it take more speed when I put 255 in P1 but not very much. I read that if P1=255 I can setup L2 but I don't see any different.
After some testing I can get PAS 5 running at 1000W but if I ride it.

Hi guys

Maybe you can help me

I changed the old damaged controller with new one (KT48ZWSRL-GP06).
Changed some of the connectors, because all of them were not suitable.
On the connector for the hall sensors I had 6 wires, on the controller side 5.
Found that white wire is for the temp sensors. Didn’t connect that one.

Now, the motor is rotating if I’m holding pressed the down button on the LCD joystick (“walk” mode).
But with the throttle the motor is not moving.
Suppose that the hall sensor and motor phases wiring are not problem, because the motor is working on walk mode.
What could be the problem? I changed some of the setting on the KT-LCD8HU but without success.
Any suggestion?

NZ87, your throttle wiring must be wrong. I recall that my KT displays will throw an error if you mix up power and signal when throttle is applied.

On a KT controller, when you check an open throttle connectior, power is 4.5 volts and signal is 5.0 volts, referenced to ground. Then when the connection is made to the throttle, power stays at 4.5V, but signal varies from .4V to 4V.

On all the motors I've seen, the white wire is for a speed sensor if it has a white wire.

I have a problem with the maximum speed setting in KT-LCD5 display. I'm running Bafang G310 geared hub motor in 29" wheel with S12S controller. To my understanding the settings should be right for the motor: P1 = 88 and P2 = 6 (internal speedometer with 6 magnets) and the speed displayed when driving is pretty close to gps speed.

But for some reason the maximum speed is only a little bit less than half of what is set as maximum. The range goes from 10 to 72 km/h, and when set to 72 I get 33.3 km/h unloaded speed. At 60 max it's about 27, at 50 max about 23 and so on. Apparently there's no way to disable the limit altogether.

The motor is a slow wind 13T version (don't know the exact kV), so with my 36V battery the unloaded max speed is probably close to what I get with the 72 max speed setting, but I would like to know if the controller is limiting the speed or not. The max speed is the same with PAS and throttle, and with different current limits.

Anybody have an idea what is causing this error?

Back