Which hybrid electric car will be yours in the future?

Which hybrid electric car type do you want and will buy in the future?

• Electric hybrid car with a 1-2kwh battery (5km edrive range) - car LIKE Toyota prius hybrid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Electric plug-in car with a 10kwh usable battery (50km edrive only range and then fuel range) - Chev

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Fully electric car with a smaller than 25kwh battery (edrive range about 150km) - Nissan leaf

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Fully electric car with a larger than 25kwh (edrive range more than 150km) - Tesla

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

leffex

1 kW
For me it will be a hybrid plug-in. Sad I have no use of one right now. Chevrolet volt or the sister car that is the same Opel Ampera is something I'm looking at in the future.

eee291 said:
DIY Hybrid or fully electric VW Passat 3B2 8)
Haha. They also have the plug-in golf and passat GTE! :D

Statistics says that most users drive 80-90% with electricity only. (w plug-in car)

Say an example car total running costs (Sweden, dinosaur based on economy car):

Comparisson cost per 10000km driven / year by a:
Dinousaur car 1400$ / year
Insurance 250$
Fuel 1000$
Taxes 150$

Plug-in car 740$ / year
Insurance 250$
Fuel 450$
Taxes 40$

Electric car 590$ / year
Insurance 250$
Electricity 300$ or less
Taxes 40$

-Apart from garage cost, for me totaling a 1200$ per year so that's one of the reasons I'm not getting a car or I'm into that right now. Do you have a house or villa? 0$ cost

I liked my 2016 Volt so much I just traded it in for a 2020 one. This the last year they are being sold and I didn't see anything out there I liked for the same $. In about 2 years we should see some nice plug-in hybrids hitting the market. This was the end of the Chevy tax incentives too.

This is based on some pretty old data. Leafs now have ranges of 150-225 miles, and Prius Primes have ranges of about 25 miles.

No way a hybrid. Fully electric only, and probably DIY. If not scratch built to exactly suit my needs, then I'll get one of those tiny Chinese electric cars or maybe a 3 wheeler, and mod it to get at least an 100kph top speed for highways at 80kph (gotta have unused headroom for passing, headwinds, and slight grades, and 150km+ of range. It will be my no frills inclement weather electric, with a fan or 2, good sound system, and a few USB ports to charge phones.

I bought a 2013 leaf 24k battery pack, just love it but would swap for a newer one, bigger battery. Now 100 mile range is good for me. Charging to 80% and don't drive below 20% is really less than 60 miles which I get on with but most would not in a big city.

Buying a hybrid? Thought about it in the beginning but now would not even think about it. The problems of both not a solution. If you need to drive out far just rent a car, if you drive out all the time buy an ICE. They get best mileage long distance not city driving.

Best for last; after joining ES and building my e-trike. Ride my e-trike more than the car and my e-trike's 1.8k battery will go farther than the car.

The car has it's place but i'm with "John in CR" I would like to replace it with something small built out of bike parts, covered no frills, basic. Like the Elf or the Pebl. For a store run in the rain and or one passenger. I would still ride my e-trike first and use the other when needed.

John in CR said:
No way a hybrid. Fully electric only, and probably DIY.
I recently got a Prius Prime and it's been great. The battery (8kwhr) just about covers my commute, which is 90% of my driving. My average MPG is over 199 (that's as high as the gauge goes) and I go to the gas station about twice a year.

billvon said:
... I go to the gas station about twice a year.

Other than using my van during our move 1.5 years ago, it's been 5 years since I bought a tank of gase or quart of oil, or even paid the annual registration or inspection fees. 12 years of electric bike has saved our family at least $30,000 , so what I've spent on the hobby has us way in the plus along with a stockpile of goodies.

John in CR said:
Other than using my van during our move 1.5 years ago, it's been 5 years since I bought a tank of gase or quart of oil, or even paid the annual registration or inspection fees. 12 years of electric bike has saved our family at least $30,000 , so what I've spent on the hobby has us way in the plus along with a stockpile of goodies.
If you can swing that, that's even better.

Probably a plugin type hybrid pickup, that is why im here doing some research. My prius insurance offsets my gas savings, if i could get close to that mileage with the truck when im not hauling anything i would be Happy, i know i have room for more than 10kw.

Total Costs
As you can see, all of these costs add up! When you include the price of ownership, the price of your loan, the costs of insurance, costs of maintenance, and costs of gas, you are looking at spending around $9,000 to $11,000 per year to own a car—bringing the total costs to almost $53,550 over the six years of car ownership.

True car ownership costs

Could build three of my E-trikes a year for 9k US Dollars. Have not drove my Leaf in two months now, mother drives it 3-4 times a week <5 miles/8km per drive. Owned the car now for 2 years, had to replace the 12V put in a deep cycle AGM $255, did not want to spend the money for a good battery it would have out lasted the car.

Back