kWeld - "Next level" DIY battery spot welder

Qachi said:
Silly question but has anyone made up their own supply pack for their kweld using 18650s?
Will likely use a ~65AH car battery most of the time but it would be great to use them for a more portable setup.

On another note, drew this electrode holder up for anyone that may find it useful, shaped to be easily held, one piece and no exposed metal
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4117601
Hb powerwall on YouTube used his 18650 powerwall modules that are something like 100p laptop cells.. He also had similar electrode holder but that design has problem that its difficult to keep pressure equal between tips. That can cause sparks and problems..

Compoundbike said:
I have some problems with my K-Weld. It stopped making welds.. it sparks but the weld is not there.
I checked the battery, calibrated again and again.. however it doesnt weld, any known issues what i can look for ?
That's not much info to diagnose :wink: Can you post all the info that the welder displays after calibration OPEN and SHORT, and after a welding attempt? When you calibrate, please make sure to have clean electrodes for the SHORT step (use fine sand paper to clean them), push the tips together hard, and make sure that you don't get any sparks at all.

tatus1969 said:
I got notified about an ebay auction of 800x BCAP0650P (new unopened, dated 2007, mix of laser weldable and threaded posts), tempted to purchase them. Anyone interested in these? I'd test them and sell for 6€ a piece.

i would buy a dozen

tatus1969 said:
Very important: this is the laser weldable variant, which either needs a bit of creativity or a decent welder to attach bus bars or cables to them.
if only there was some way to spot weld tabs on these things.... :roll: :mrgreen:

The shop only appears to have the Kcap that comes prepopulated with 6x BCAP0310, wasn't there previously a board-only version for people supplying their own caps?

Taswegian said:
The shop only appears to have the Kcap that comes prepopulated with 6x BCAP0310, wasn't there previously a board-only version for people supplying their own caps?

these dont fit.

Taswegian said:
I've dropped that from my shop because the price that I got from my EMS was too high (they'd charge 30€ just for the SMD soldered board). With my markup on that, the end price would have been prohibitive.

eee291 said:
JLC PCB to the rescue :lol:
They don't have the quality that I am asking for... And I have gone through their price calculator once for a smaller project. Not as cheap as you might think, for example they add USD2500 project cost upfront. I had been using Elecrow at the beginning, and actually moved because of that reason. The German EMS turned out to be cheaper than them.

tatus1969 said:
bobmutch said:
tatus1969 said:
tatus1969

A couple questions to tatus1969:

1. With the kweld the adjustment for different welds is in energy J. I'm just wondering if there will be a difference in the weld energy used in each weld when your battery is fully charged and when the battery is close to the LVC? or will the setting of 20J delivery the same energy from the first weld when the battery is fully charged to the last weld when the battery is as discharged as the system allows?

2. When you change from an approved LiPo battery to an approved SLA battery will the same 20J deliver the same energy to each weld with the two different batteries?

Bob.
Just like eee291 describes. But this is only true when the pulse duration is small in general. If current is too low, then the require pulse duration grows and more and more heat can travel away from the welding spot, causing it to cool down. That prevents the heat from staying concentrated and will eventually result in poor welds.

I came to read this thread just to look for this question and you answered it.
But i would like to know what pulse you and the rest of you find is acceptable (for let's say 0.15 mm nickel)? The longer the pulse=the lower burst current the battery provide.
Would you say, the higher the current the lower the pulse is better?

quick update: still haven't received the kCaps yet, since the manufacturer realized a problem with wave soldering the capacitors: the conveyor belt is slanted, causing the caps to tilt. Solving this with a clamp that will sit on top of them. New expected arrival April 3.

And I want to share a new video with you, from a fellow guy in New Zealand: https://youtu.be/DX1U3UnCej0
I'm very impressed by his video, it is such good that it can even replace my kWeld assembly document.

eikido said:
But i would like to know what pulse you and the rest of you find is acceptable (for let's say 0.15 mm nickel)? The longer the pulse=the lower burst current the battery provide.
It's very simple, the higher the current, the shorter the pulse (actually that is a quadratic equation, as P = I^2 * R), the better. When the pulse duration gets too long (from my experience, I'd say stay below 50ms), then it's no longer spot welding but surface heating.

tatus1969 said:
eikido said:
It's very simple, the higher the current, the shorter the pulse (actually that is a quadratic equation, as P = I^2 * R), the better. When the pulse duration gets too long (from my experience, I'd say stay below 50ms), then it's no longer spot welding but surface heating.

Exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you very much!! =) I've been thinking about this question for months.

Have a question regarding calibration.
I use 3s4p spim08hp.
The cable I use from the battery to kweld is 4 awg wire, length of 300mm, so in cable setting I adjusted it to 1.5m. But I get overcurrent during calibration, and 1563a? The voltage of the battery is 11.66v.

Is my cable setting correct, is the solution to use 16awg or 8 awg wire from battery to kweld?

hamid120 said:
Have a question regarding calibration.
I use 3s4p spim08hp.
The cable I use from the battery to kweld is 4 awg wire, length of 300mm, so in cable setting I adjusted it to 1.5m. But I get overcurrent during calibration, and 1563a? The voltage of the battery is 11.66v.

Is my cable setting correct, is the solution to use 16awg or 8 awg wire from battery to kweld?
Your cable setting is correct, as is the reaction from the unit. That extra cable length increased loop inductance (please see the operating manual section regarding inductive kickback), which requires to lower the maximum allowed current. Only at 1.0m total round-trip, the unit can handle 2000A.

Using thinner gauge wire will probably add the necessary resistance to lower the current below the max, but you a) then have less current to handle thick nickel strips, and b) a new heat problem.

It is essential to keep the wiring as short as possible, so I suggest to reduce the length down to 1m. Current is then best regulated by choosing a good combination of battery voltage and internal resistance. In your case, you might want to test 2s4p, and if that doesn't work (it should!), 3s3p.

technically you could just set the wire length to 1m or so so it does not error out. but you will probably blow the arse out of the diodes if you use it like that. best is to change the supply side so you stay within spec.

So after disassembling the packs, and making it to 3s3p, I weirdly still get 1800amp? What could be the reason? Could it be that I soldered the lugs for 4 awg, that may make it read wrong?

if you have brand new cells fully charged you might get pretty serious amps. that will reduce after a few cycles or just discharge the pack to 4v per cel or something.

1800amp is perfect, as long as the welder doesn't complain about overcurent (provided that you also have reduced the cables to 1m total!)

I am looking into the Maxwell capacitors.

Would it be possible to simply make the series connection by clamping om busbars in and enclosure or is it necessary to weld or something similar?

Vbruun said:
I am looking into the Maxwell capacitors. Would it be possible to simply make the series connection by clamping om busbars in and enclosure or is it necessary to weld or something similar?
I don't recommend clamping, because at these current levels you'd need quite some clamping force, and you'll likely damage the ultracap's seal and eventually push the negative terminal into the cell. The tabs are not tall enough to clamp them individually, so welding them in some way is the only viable option I'm afraid. My AU reseller has received a few of them and plans to make a video that shows how that can be done.

What about putting copper braid between the terminals, wouldn't that allow better electrical contact under less force ? But it would maybe oxidize over time ?

(first post here, I've been lurking for a while, so... hello! :D )

Back