ASI Acclerated Systems controllers BAC2000 review

I just got my setup running 21s powering a crown 4080 motor. the programmer is simple. All you need to do is correctly wire the TX/RX/GND from the plug to a FTDI chip. I did have issues with the voltage settings. I started on a partial charge and found that I had to set the system voltage to 72v in order to clear the voltage scaling fault. We should be able to change the pu. setpoint, but I couldn't figure out how just yet. This also became an issue when fully charged again. I had to raise over voltage setpoints to around 130% to get both the flags and faults to clear. For the brake I ended up having to pull brake one to 5v and leave brake 2 open ended. I plan to use proportional regen, but haven't had time to get to that yet.

With 19" motorcycle wheels and tires, I was able to get to 44mph so far without flux weakening. I haven't seen current rise above 47 amps yet though. With just hubsinks and no ferrofluid, the motor temps can quickly rise to 70c after a good speed run, or constant heavy throttle stop and go action. I will probably take the cover off tonight and add ferrofluid. After that I may see why I am not seeing higher current, and how well flux weakening works.

You can use the phaserunner software for most operations, but it is much more restrictive than bacdoor.

With ferrofluid, temperatures don't seem to pass 85c. With 30amps flux weakening (it says amps in phaserunner software, and percent in Bacdoor) It easily hits 55mph. I might take an analog meter and check the resistance of the current shunt myself to see if the current readings are correct. I'm thinking that it might be calibrated wrong and is giving me low current values. I am fairly happy with the bac2000, but could probably use more power. Their documentation is rather poor, and they are hard to communicate with.

I had ordered the full evaluation kit from them, then a few days later they call me and say they do not have any to sell. They tried to offer the 4000 or 8000 model, which I would have certainly done, but they could give me no clue of availability time, so I got my refund and purchased the bare drive from Justin. They were definitely helpful at ebikes.ca on any small questions I had.

For anybody that's interested in purchasing one of the BAC4000 or BAC8000 units, you can go here. The website is kinda spotty and some of the links don't work, but I eventually found my way through to the shop. These kits aren't cheap, especially when compared to the Mobipus with very similar specifications @ $850 for the BAC8000.

Aside from the poorly tested website, it's quite frustrating to be missing some key details on the product datasheets, neither 4000 or 8000 have weight listed and the 4000 is missing dimensions entirely, very strange.

I do understand the approach regarding end user support, it's time consuming and there's a degree of risk with just 'anybody' being able to purchase these units, however you can mitigate a lot of that with documentation. For me personally it's not confidence inspiring to have such average and inconsistent product sales information.

Ohbse: I just saw that the do have the bigger drives listed now. I may order one, but I definitely would not order their evaluation kit this time. I already made all my harnesses and programmer, and the only thing I would really need from them is that I want to see a full list of how the xml file is organized and the ability to change per unit parameters so far. They really need to spend the time to pay a technical writer to develop consistent, correct, and thorough documentation. I was reading the BAC500 manual and the space vector sequencing was all wrong in the document for example.

I just picked up a 4000W and 8000W BAC controller, fast shipping.

evolutiongts said:
I just picked up a 4000W and 8000W BAC controller, fast shipping.

Very interested to hear of your experience. Did you end up picking up a Mobipus? That would be the most appropriate comparison...

I have both actually and I'm barely setting up the Mobipus 72 200A now

What about the display from ASI?
it would be nice if it can be used together with the largest controllers they have.

They currently don't offer any displays at the moment.

I haven't read into it too far, but the capacity for display is there, just no off shelf solutions. I would really like to hear what you think of the BAC4000 and 8000. I will most likely be buying a 4000 in the near future.

footbaldd said:
I haven't read into it too far, but the capacity for display is there, just no off shelf solutions. I would really like to hear what you think of the BAC4000 and 8000. I will most likely be buying a 4000 in the near future.

ASI is pretty slooooow about releasing new stuff. Probably 2025 will see an LCD. ;P

what setting or parameter need to set to give the motor current when throttle. I have everything set up with bacdoor 1.5.4 with no error code.
just when I give it throttle nothing happens; the controller does see 4.3v throttle. please someone help me. also could anyone help me and share the latest bacdoor software.

If some one can share me a working parameter file that would be really helpful too.

kmv said:
If some one can share me a working parameter file that would be really helpful too.

Hi kmv:

It would help the helpers to know what kind of motor you are trying to tune. Some of us have had trouble tuning motors that run power through the bicycle's chain and sprocket.

I have included a working parameter file for the BAC2000 driving a 35mm direct-drive hub motor (kv around 11.5) that was available (and is from time to time available) from West Coast Electric Cycles, where the controller's connection to the user is mediated by a CAV3.

View attachment WCEC_W4_559_Pursuit.xml

miro13car said:
Electricgod
we cannot see your pictures!
you cannot download pics directly to ES??

he tantrum-deleted his stuff to punish everyone else for whatever slights he felt inflicted upon him by a handful of others. then created a second account (timidtim) to attack people while pretending to defend himself as if he was actually someone else.

i don't think he's going to be allowed back (certainly shouldn't be), even if he could be trusted to, and even if he would fix things instead of deleting the rest of it and attacking more people.

mrbill said:
kmv said:

Hi kmv:

It would help the helpers to know what kind of motor you are trying to tune. Some of us have had trouble tuning motors that run power through the bicycle's chain and sprocket.

I have included a working parameter file for the BAC2000 driving a 35mm direct-drive hub motor (kv around 11.5) that was available (and is from time to time available) from West Coast Electric Cycles, where the controller's connection to the user is mediated by a CAV3.

WCEC_W4_559_Pursuit.xml

Thanks mrbill for the file it help kick started my motor.
Any chance you can share the the bacdoor pc Software to. I m still using the 1.5.4 .

kmv said:
Does anybody knows the settings to reverse the motor's rotation.

In BacDoor under Peripheral Configuration -> Basic Motor (sensored or sensor-less)

The last field in the right pane is "Motor features". Bit 0 swaps Phase A <--> C (which reverses rotation direction). Bit 0 is the right-most bit and can be set to 0 or 1.

liamdurantaylor@gmail.com said:
Can someone please help me with the username and password for the BacDoor app ive asked and cant get it

You have to ask from your dealer.

ASI knows how many people are logged in at a certain point and frown on one person giving it out for many, as it is easy to brick the controller with the app and not meant for end users.

What is the least amount of wires that have to be connect to the bac 2000 to get it light up? And which ones?

Back