KT motor controllers -- Flexible OpenSource firmware for BMSBattery S/Kunteng KT motor controllers (0.25kW up to 5kW)

stancecoke said:
Hm, can you check the value of the big resistor next to the LM317? There are several reports about trouble with the voltage supply lately.
Yes, I can confirm that it's 82ohms

Oh btw, I flashed with display type: BluOSEC app(for the future) but I don't have bluetooth transmitter plugged in yet. Should I flash again with display type:none for this testing purpose? Does it matter?

stancecoke said:
So this protocol is different to the LCD3 protocol...

Right, it's roughly the same encoding when the display talks to the controller (first 6 bytes have the same function). I'll check what the controller sends to this display when I grab one with the original firmware to compare with the controller-to-lcd documentation on the link you sent, maybe it's not too hard to adapt the code for it. Anyway, thanks for the information.

Valopallo said:
I flashed with display type: BluOSEC app(for the future) but I don't have bluetooth transmitter plugged in yet. Should I flash again with display type:none for this testing purpose? Does it matter?
It's much better to test with BluOsec or Debugging-Mode, as you can read the controller state via UART then. Without this information you are poking around in the dark.

regards
stancecoke

I was thinking of flashing the firmware onto this controller: KT48ZWSRLT-LCD 48V controller with LCD5. Any idea if this controller would work? I think it may be the kind without phase current sensing, but I am not sure.

Thanks!

stancecoke said:
Valopallo said:
I flashed with display type: BluOSEC app(for the future) but I don't have bluetooth transmitter plugged in yet. Should I flash again with display type:none for this testing purpose? Does it matter?
It's much better to test with BluOsec or Debugging-Mode, as you can read the controller state via UART then. Without this information you are poking around in the dark.

regards
stancecoke

Plugged the bluetooth in but bluOSEC doesn't read anything. Bluetooth module is tested and used. State = 0|-1. I'm starting to think there was a short somewhere and it broke the controller. Vin of the controller gives out 3.8V.

Valopallo said:
I'm starting to think there was a short somewhere and it broke the controller. Vin of the controller gives out 3.8V.
Hm, what do you mean with Vin?
Have you read the wiki carefully?
https://github.com/stancecoke/BMSBattery_S_controllers_firmware/wiki/05-The-BluOSEC-Android-App

If you connect the battery and short red to blue at the display connector, the voltage between the red and the black wire of the PAS connector has to be app. 4.7V. The same on the throttle connector.

68747470733a2f2f6f70656e736f757263656562696b656669726d776172652e6269746275636b65742e696f2f77696e646f77735f696e737472756374696f6e732f696d616765732f436f6e6e656374696f6e25323066726f6d253230646973706c6179253230636f6e6e6563746f72253230746f2532306d6f64756c652e504e47

If not, there's something wrong with the power supply LM417 and/or LM7895.

regards
stancecoke

stancecoke said:
Hm, what do you mean with Vin?

Just a voltage measurement from the controller power cables, when battery is not connected to those. Probably irrelevant. Charged caps, right?

stancecoke said:
If you connect the battery and short red to blue at the display connector, the voltage between the red and the black wire of the PAS connector has to be app. 4.7V. The same on the throttle connector.

Measured 4.5V at the PAS and also 4.5V at the throttle.
What next? I'm out of options what to do to locate the problem and if there's something else I can do to save this controller. I have a spare zws -type controller which had a mosfet burn, to take parts from if needed.

Valopallo said:
Measured 4.5V at the PAS and also 4.5V at the throttle.
What next?

Hi,

Just my opinion about the issue, from what I know about this type of motor controller. Normally the throttle VCC pin is a little lower than 5v because there's a diode in series with the 5V rail that feeds that pin:

s06 throttle circuit.png

Use the 5V Hall sensor pin (red wire) to check the voltage of the rail without the diode drop.

If the voltage on the Hall sensor 5V wire is still low: In one of your posts, you said that whenever you plug in the Hall sensors the 5V rail drops. Have you tried to use the BlueOSEC app without the hall sensors connected? Just to check if it connects and sends any info. If the app works with unplugged Hall sensor wires, the problem is either on the circuit that creates the 5V rail (the 78L05 IC), or the new sensors that you replaced on the motor are pulling too much current (the 78L05 has a current limit of 100mA).

simpletech said:
Have you tried to use the BlueOSEC app without the hall sensors connected?
I have. No difference whatsoever. Blu OSEC doesn't read anything. The hall sensor output is 25mA if that's relevant https://components101.com/a3144-hall-effect-sensor.

transposon said:
I was thinking of flashing the firmware onto this controller: KT48ZWSRLT-LCD 48V controller with LCD5...

Hi,

According to the documentation, the KT-LCD5 is supported (it will show info on the screen), but as far as I know only the assist level, speed limit and lights on/off are configurable through the display on the custom firmware. The P and C parameters have to be preset using the equivalent configuration options on the Java configuration tool. If you don't need to change the parameters constantly, I don't see a problem with that.

Valopallo said:
I have. No difference whatsoever. Blu OSEC doesn't read anything.

What's the reading of the 5V rail with the Hall sensors disconnected? Is it near 5V?

Also, thinking outside the 5V rail problem, check if you enabled the "Torquesensor" option in the GUI, it's enabled by default. In my tests, this option disables the motor to turn on by only using the throttle.

simpletech said:
What's the reading of the 5V rail with the Hall sensors disconnected? Is it near 5V?

It's 4.5V without sensors connected and with sensors it drops to 4.2V.

Valopallo said:

Well, then I suggest you checking the 78L05 IC in a separate circuit, if possible, to check if the chip can generate the 5V properly.

simpletech said:
Valopallo said:

Well, then I suggest you checking the 78L05 IC in a separate circuit, if possible, to check if the chip can generate the 5V properly.

Did this soldering extended legs to pcb and used external 12V input. The output pin gave 4.99V so the chip seems to be fine.

Valopallo said:
Did this soldering extended legs to pcb and used external 12V input. The output pin gave 4.99V so the chip seems to be fine.

OK, then check if the LM317 IC is working properly by applying 20v on its Vin pin and checking if:
- The LM317 output reaches 13-15V
- The 78L05 outputs 5V properly again (in this case, it will use the LM317 output voltage to generate 5V, as designed)

You can check it in-circuit, the only thing you should do to assure your input voltage is only going to the LM317 input is desolder 1 pin of the big 82R resistor while doing the test.

simpletech said:
Valopallo said:

OK, then check if the LM317 IC is working properly by applying 20v on its Vin pin and checking if:
- The LM317 output reaches 13-15V
- The 78L05 outputs 5V properly again (in this case, it will use the LM317 output voltage to generate 5V, as designed)

Input voltage= 19.45V
The LM317 tested output 15.48V. The 78L05 tested output 5V.

Valopallo said:
Input voltage= 19.45V
The LM317 tested output 15.48V. The 78L05 tested output 5V.

It seems that the power ICs are fine then. If the 82R resistor is measuring its specified value and the battery is relatively charged, then I'm afraid I don't have any other places for you to check. Something is consuming too much current to force the 5V rail lower than normal, and apparently the STM8 is not working properly (or at all, according to your posts) with this lowered voltage.

Also, have you disabled the torquesensor configuration and tried to check if at least the wheel is turning by using the throttle?

simpletech said:
I'm afraid I don't have any other places for you to check.

Thank you for helping me. I guess buying these controllers from Aliexpress is like russian roulette. You hit or you miss. :? Two recent aliexpress controllers were DOA but the first one I got from bmsbattery two years ago still works like a charm. Wish they could get more affordable shipping costs to customers though.

Valopallo said:
is like russian roulette

:) have you checked the voltage of the brake-signal wire? It has to have 5V (pullup from processor) otherwise the processor stops during booting.

regards
stancecoke

stancecoke said:
Valopallo said:
is like russian roulette

:) have you checked the voltage of the brake-signal wire? It has to have 5V (pullup from processor) otherwise the processor stops during booting.

regards
stancecoke

Brake= vin 4.5V, signal 4.95V
Hall= vin 4.5V, signal 4.95V
PAS= vin 4.5V, signal 4.95V
Throttle= vin 4.5V, signal 4.95V
Speedometer = vin 4.5V, signal 4.95V

Hall sensors = check
Phases = check
Mosfets = check
LM317 = check
78L05 = check
82R = check

Attachments

• Osec.jpg
    Osec.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 2,382
stancecoke said:
OK, you don't use the latest version of the java configurator from github?!

No. But now I think I should update. :D

EDIT: Which I did just now, flashed again but it didn't change anything :(

have you checked the log in the cmd window while compiling and flashing? Is there any error?

regards
stancecoke

stancecoke said:
have you checked the log in the cmd window while compiling and flashing? Is there any error?

regards
stancecoke

Yes, there is;
brake.c:23: warning 110: conditional flow changed by optimizer: so said EVELYN the modified DOG

Attachments

• Compiling_log.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 44
Valopallo said:
Yes, there is

OK, but this should be no problem, the log looks fine.

Have you tested the Diagnostics mode? Does the controller send any information in this mode? Use e.g. Blueterm for logging.

regards
stancecoke

stancecoke said:
Valopallo said:
Yes, there is

OK, but this should be no problem, the log looks fine.

Have you tested the Diagnostics mode? Does the controller send any information in this mode? Use e.g. Blueterm for logging.

regards
stancecoke

It connects and sends numbers:
1, 0, 0, 323, 0, 0
1, 0, 0, 324, 0, 0
1, 0, 0, 325, 0, 0

Back