Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Posters were primarily interested in protecting their ASI. This fabricator for some reason already created a heat sink; hopefully it can do both.

skyungjae said:
I bet ASI, in general, would sell a lot more controllers if they didn't go with their orange/blue theme. :lol:

Is the case fairly easy to remove? If so, most thermoplastics can be dyed. Unlike paint, it won't scratch off.

To dye plastic, get a pot big enough to contain the part, bring water to a boil, then add some clothes dye like Rit Dye (I recommend liquid opposed to powder dyes). Boil the part until you see the part obtain the color that you want.

3DTOPO said:
skyungjae said:
I bet ASI, in general, would sell a lot more controllers if they didn't go with their orange/blue theme. :lol:

Is the case fairly easy to remove? If so, most thermoplastics can be dyed. Unlike paint, it won't scratch off.

To dye plastic, get a pot big enough to contain the part, bring water to a boil, then add some clothes dye like Rit Dye (I recommend liquid opposed to powder dyes). Boil the part until you see the part obtain the color that you want.

awsome - gonna try that with PVC.

sn0wchyld said:
awsome - gonna try that with PVC.

I think you can just dip PVC in the dye for 30-60 minutes - might not even need to boil it.

You can also use pipe-cleaner mixed with petroleum dye to stain PVC:

https://makezine.com/projects/make-30/stain-pvc-any-color-you-like/
ZJXTqdf1FgR6f41v.jpg

I'm not sure if the orange part comes off separately. Black spray paint will work. Another option would be black vinyl sticky sheet or fake carbon fiber.

The plastic dye process looks cool though. I might have to try it on some other projects.

keep in mind a number of styrenes won't handle boiling water temperatures very well (150f is enough to deform them), and neither will a number of polyethylenes.

the thicker the plastic the less it will deform, but if it's not uniform density (not uncommon in complex injection molded parts, or ones with thin and thick areas, etc), or if it's vacuformed, the more likely it is to do so, and the worse the deformation will be if it does.

so it depends on what specific plastic you're using whether you can heat it that much or not.

True; like I said it can be done with most plastics; certainly not all.

That said, I don't think styrene/polyethylene parts are very common - especially for motorbike/bike parts. :wink:

To use the immersed dye method, I would try first letting it soak at room temperature. If it doesn't absorb any appreciable dye, go from there.

3DTOPO said:
That said, I don't think styrene/polyethylene parts are very common - especially for motorbike/bike parts. :wink:
you'd think that...but most of the common ebike motor kit control parts i've run across are styrenes. (throttles, control clusters, ebrake lever mounts (the ones that aren't cast alloys), display casings, battery cases, etc.) sometimes it's abs, which takes heat better, but sometimes it's plain old ps. :(

some of the regular bicycle shifters/etc i've had are also styrenes. (some of them even deform from the heat we have here, when stored in places that have no airflow (metal sheds, etc) and in direct sunlight in the summer.) more than a few of the bike computers and lights I've had have had styrene casing parts (and some of which deformed like the above)

some of them are marked with recycle triangles that help identify the material, but most don't seem to have them. but styrene usually has a specific smell when it gets hot (like when filing it or dremeling it).

pe...yeah, i don't recall ebike or bike parts made of that at the moment, though i think i've had some hdpe chain guides / rollers / etc. not sure though.

I just got back from a muddy ride on Kauai. My friends ride a trials bike and the other rides a 2019 Ktm 300,where in our 60’s.The Sur-Ron is so much easier to ride!

I'm an old guy on a Sur Ron in the mud too, love it. Much better on tight wet woods trail than my Zero FX. My friend is on a KTM500, way too much bike but I haven't convinced him to downsize, yet! I'm 69, he's 70.

My friend with the Ktm300 has his Sur-Ron coming in tomorrow,he’s tired of the electric bike being faster and easier to ride.He can climb hills faster but those aren’t as common as the muddy tight woods riding on Kauai,Sur-Ron still climbs them at a slower speed.
For brake pads:Shimano H03C sintered metal Mtb

LightBeeCommuter said:
Any recommendations on brake pads?
Alligator turbo and Shimano ho3c are the preferred aftermarket pads. :bigthumb:

Just installed a new skid plate made from HDPE from a Australia Sur-Ron aftermarket parts maker,(https:racespecsurron.com)$65 delivered,seems very solid and should slide over stuff better than the fragile stock skid plate.EA322BB0-B718-49D1-AD45-ADA9294DCD14.jpeg63C0A5A1-1D36-44C0-810C-5DEEE7264457.jpeg

X-Nitro said:
LightBeeCommuter said:
Any recommendations on brake pads?
Alligator turbo and Shimano ho3c are the preferred aftermarket pads. :bigthumb:
I tried the HO3C pads but found them to be pretty noisy. The HO1A (organic) pads are much quieter and still stop well.

Kauaiguy said:
Just installed a new skid plate made from HDPE from a Australia Sur-Ron dealer(https:racespecsurron.com)$65 delivered,seems very solid and should slide over stuff better than the fragile stock skid plate.EA322BB0-B718-49D1-AD45-ADA9294DCD14.jpeg63C0A5A1-1D36-44C0-810C-5DEEE7264457.jpeg

Please note that they (racespecsurron) are not a Sur-Ron dealer but a manufacturer/supplier of non genuine aftermarket components for use on Sur-Ron bikes.
Unfortunately this misleading information regarding the term
“dealer“ leads to other “dealers” getting upset with potential loss of market share sales etc this has also led to dealer conflict with Sur-ron directly.
Sur-Ron wants aftermarket suppliers to be clear and honest and not mislead customers and seperate themselves from the actual manufacturer.

What handguards would you suggest for Sur-ron, guys?
I am upgrading front brake to Hope Tech 3 V4 and do not want to brake it like elik1111 did. It would be expensive replacement.

elik1111 said:
What's about the part that push the hydrolicc piston?
Maybe this helps get you back together?
https://surron.co.uk/collections/accessories?page=3
Remember these china bikes have no real parts supply from the factory, most parts sold are from new bikes being salvaged to sell the parts; & with critical world-wide illness causing interruptions in shipping, now is not a good time to own sur ron needing parts.

X-Nitro said:
elik1111 said:
What's about the part that push the hydrolicc piston?
Maybe this helps get you back together?
https://surron.co.uk/collections/accessories?page=3
Remember these china bikes have no real parts supply from the factory, most parts sold are from new bikes being salvaged to sell the parts; & with critical world-wide illness causing interruptions in shipping, now is not a good time to own sur ron needing parts.

Once again more false information regarding the Sur-Ron brand.
A full parts catalogue has been available for over 2 years now.

https://www.surronaustralia.com.au/surron-australia-shop/brake-lever

Let's see here, chinabike parts from Aus... sry that doesn't qualify as anything but a bad joke or nightmare.

Back