Juicing Up Pictures

markz said:
Do you carry around a Continuity Tester?
I carry one around all the time, you'd be amazed at how many Live/Neutral have loose connections or missing a ground when you plug in the cord.

I don't, but I probably should. Got an old nightlight I've been meaning to toss in my bag but the tester is the better way to go. Will have to try to remember to pick one up the next time I'm in crappy tire or sprawlmart.

miro13car said:
I carry one of those contactless voltage testers with me mounted on my ebike.
jut to check if outlet is live.

That is a great idea as well.

MarkZ
those thick inner tubes are worth of trying.
I havent had any punctures/flat tires on my summer ebike for at least 2 summers.
they are heavy and bulky so no good to carry with you.
At least 4 times heaver and they take 4 times more room than regular tubes , you cannot fold them really , so thick.

Starbucks inside a Safeway?

(No pic, but I used the same outlet I posted earlier twice yesterday. Took my kid down to Stanley Park in Vancouver and rode around the seawall. A near 100km day on the bike, all in.)

miro13car said:
Grocery store?
where?
SE, SW, NE, where?
it must be coffee shop inside grocery store.

It is the COOP on 10th and 10th downtown.
It is a sitting area, next to a mercury sushi place which is apart of COOP. They spoke some asian language to each other as they were preparing the mercury for consumption.

Starbucks is usually Safeway, which is
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94360&start=50#p1517752
and
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94360&start=50#p1525529
That particular Safeway had a Starbucks as you enter. Interestingly Safeway implemented a loss prevention tactic of blocking off the entry/exit with water bottles. The only thing good about Starbucks is you can get a free cup of ice and/or water, plus they dont care if you dont buy anything or dont buy anything PLUS use their shitters.

Here is me charging my e-bike at a workplace parking garage:

ebike-parking_garage-charge_01.jpg
ebike-parking_garage-charge_02.jpg

I had a small 180W charger with me and had a power meter placed in line to verify charging.

There was a plugin-hybrid Toyata Prius also sharing the same outlet with me. Nobody's going to notice my little ol' me pulling 180W compared to the Prius probably pulling near maximum 1500W for a 120VAC outlet.

Anybody could pull in with an e-bike and charge here as long as you don't look like a bum and catch the attention of the infrequent security guards. There are workers from many companies using this parking garage in a commercial district. Nobody knows anybody.

markz said:
miro13car said:
Grocery store?
where?
SE, SW, NE, where?
it must be coffee shop inside grocery store.

It is the COOP on 10th and 10th downtown.
It is a sitting area, next to a mercury sushi place which is apart of COOP. They spoke some asian language to each other as they were preparing the mercury for consumption.

Starbucks is usually Safeway, which is
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94360&start=50#p1517752
and
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94360&start=50#p1525529
That particular Safeway had a Starbucks as you enter. Interestingly Safeway implemented a loss prevention tactic of blocking off the entry/exit with water bottles. The only thing good about Starbucks is you can get a free cup of ice and/or water, plus they dont care if you dont buy anything or dont buy anything PLUS use their shitters.

so if I feel like getting a coffee and juicing up, don't go to Tim Hortons where the cops hang out, go to starbucks where the cops aren't welcome and I don't have to buy something to use the shitter

I'd rather push the bike home than stop at Tim Horton's. Especially if I want a coffee.

im not a Timmies person either, it tastes funny and people wait in loooong line ups to get some. I figured they were putting something in it. i don't like starbucks. Van Houtte coffee at Chevron and chevrons typically have an outside plug

Its alright to sit there while your juicing up. The majority of the employee's at Timmies are asian descent with some sort of accent, while Starbucks can be anything usually caucasion or asian but always fluent english. I never had a problem not buying anything. Problem is Timmies has outlets at the back door, McDonalds too, most chain restaurants. Few have outlets in sight, I got one spot a mexican place. The subway had a rotating mall sign that was good but someone turned off the outlet.
The fish sanctuary downtown calgary had outlets but now they put plastic covers over with a lock.
I'm not sure if someone saw me juicing up and decided to turn them off, or lock them up. Fish sanctuary was maybe twice, maybe. But subway sign was a lot.

I signed up for a Chargepoint account and have a j1772 connector which should be delivered Tuesday. Huge number of level 2 charging stations in the lower mainland, the majority of which are gratis to use. My charger works on both 120 and 240v, but it has the potential to put out 700 watts more on 240. Will hopefully mean a goodbye to range anxiety and hunting for random outlets. I look forward to doing some extended exploring this spring and summer.

Evseadapters.com out of California. I went with the j1772 to c13 version. Probably could have built it cheaper myself but the cost isn't terribly unreasonable for the privilege of just plugging it in.

https://www.evseadapters.com/products/j1772-to-c-13-adapter-for-electric-motorcycle-scooter/

Something is up with my battery. I should be getting atleast double the range for 36Vx27Ah=927Wh/25Wh/km= 39km but I get half.
Perhaps the cold weather damaged it.
Perhaps the 8A charge rate is too much for 18Vx27Ah half pack.
Controller is 36V 35A
Batteries are Ryobi 9+6+6+6Ah times two (put in series) to mack complete pack.
The first rendition was 6+6 then I snagged some 9's from HD in E-town and grabbed another 2 pack of 6 to get it where its now.

Next pack is going to be Samsung 25R's but 15S because I use laptop chargers good for 5S.

when I was working around prince George my Ryobi plus one batteries were fully charged at home, put them in the back of the truck, drove an hour went to use the drill and it was dead, all 3 batteries were dead and it was minus 10 Celsius. I had a Ryobi NiCad pack and it worked. cant use the Ryobi in the cold, I still use those plus one batteries but only in warm temperatures. my Milwaukee grease gun 18v only pumps one tube of grease right now instead of 1.5 to 2 tubes of grease per battery.

heres a Ryobi battery guy , video starts at 4 minutes and 7 minutes, I was thinking, dude, duuuude don't do that!

https://youtu.be/O3fdHhqHItA

markz said:
Something is up with my battery. I should be getting atleast double the range for 36Vx27Ah=927Wh/25Wh/km= 39km but I get half.
Perhaps the cold weather damaged it.
Perhaps the 8A charge rate is too much for 18Vx27Ah half pack.
Controller is 36V 35A
Batteries are Ryobi 9+6+6+6Ah times two (put in series) to mack complete pack.
The first rendition was 6+6 then I snagged some 9's from HD in E-town and grabbed another 2 pack of 6 to get it where its now.

Next pack is going to be Samsung 25R's but 15S because I use laptop chargers good for 5S.

in that video it looked like Samsung 20q 2000 mah but you have a 9ah battery, sounds like a 3000mah not a 2000mah cell.
also sounds like youre using basically 2- 5s9p batteries at 35amps max or 4 amp max per cell. id almost split your batteries into 15ah and 12 ah and run them separately so they can generate their own heat so you can keep your ah capacity.

if you have 20q cells in your batteries heres a link to the data sheet. look at section 7.6 and 7.7 and that could explain your range loss

http://gamma.spb.ru/media/pdf/liion-lipolymer-lifepo4-akkumulyatory/INR18650_20Q.pdf

I did a test on a battery packs ability to maintain its temperature in cold temperatures with low amp draw and the battery cant maintain its temperature and you lose capacity/range. im running my packs at a higher C rate right now, it was snowing here yesterday morning and im running 4p of 25r at 35amps at speeds of 30 to 60km/h for a 25km round trip for work and my battery stays warm, at 1c battery temperature drops right down to outside temperature, wh/km goes up and it sucks

I have a go to, juicing up place near the place where I fish a lot!

A grocery store with a bench, I can lock my bike up on the bench and plug in to juice up. During the winter the store had turned off the outside outlets, but now that its warm out so they decided to energize the outside outlets. They like to have the flowers out. The 7/11 store is 2km away, another juicing up spot with a small sitting area looking out to the gassers.

Whats even more interesting is I am normally able to get 18-19km out of my battery pack, but I did a long ride a couple days ago and was able to get 29km. Riding was no different then before. See route picture below.

Ride came to 24.90km + the 2 or 3 km from my home to the train, so 30km. I had gotten a flat right at the Eau Claire mall downtown and I knew a stop where I could take my sweet ass time in changing the tire and juice up in the shade, it was a sunny hot day out that day.

The route was not planned, I never had ridden the big park, Nose Hill park, in all my 5 decades of living here. I had gotten off at the train station, and started my way to the top of the hill. Decently sloped, a little pedaling when I felt guilty and lazy but not much pedaling, dont want to break a sweat ye know. The big park wasnt anything special, nice major pathways, lots of people about. I wanted to exit the SW corner, but knew I missed it so South exit/parking lot it was. I will hit the big park again and go easterly and more single track, maybe come in from the very top of the big park and go central and easterly and do more single track and hit the bushes more.

goatman said:
warmer weather

It rained pretty hard the other day. I got caught riding, but luckily I stayed near a bridge as I saw the clouds darkening. It really came down hard and hailed for a bit, the hail hurt so had to full throttle it a half mile. It was an exact copy of what happened last year, except last year I had to full throttle it 1.5 miles to same bridge, that time the hail hurt even worse and I did way more hand in front of face looking away from wind so the hail wouldnt hurt as bad, and it hurt.

There were a couple other bicyclists staying dry, and a few vehicles that stopped for a few minutes but continued on. About 10 minutes into the deluge, a nice hot woman walked by in the rain to her car a 0.5 mile ways up. She was already soaked, nice rack, tight yoga pants, mmmm delish. I stayed in place for 30m-1hr before it slowed down and I w.o.t. to next shelter, doing it in stages of a mile or so at a time. Thinking I needed a mulligan, call for help. But 30 minutes later, the rain slowed right down so I givered home.

Lost my wallet today and yesteday. That rainy day had me a bit sideways. My spinning lure caught my pants but was high enough I could still sit on the seat. I took off pants, went to workroom to get pliers. Wallet fell out. Spent the last hour looking, memory must be going not to think of lure in pants, workroom, pliers. Oh well.

goatman said:
your like an episode of, Goofy goes fishing. catch anymore toilet paper?

The spinning lure incident, well it was raining and I ran out of juice, found a community hall with no shelter but an outlet. The rod is carried in a grocery bag, and I had put it down on a bench then bent over to pick up a plastic bag to sit on and the lure caught the top of my buttox. Brand spanking new jeans too so I just didnt want to rip the hook out. Walmart doesnt have anything over 42, and finding anything in Relaxed fit isnt going to happen for $20, so $40 marks.com on sale, delivered.

As far as "TP" goes, I catch "toilet paper" all the time while fishing, still not sure exactly what it is.

5 days ago, I had lost a brand spanking new $8 lure, caught something about 5' from the shore. Its my lucky Panther Martin Sonic spinner. First fishing session, and 8th cast, $8! lost!

Caught a big brown trout 2 days ago, 1.5 times the length of a USA M13 shoe. Used a pink Vibrax spinner lure, it was in dark murky water and while reeling it in I thought I was going to break my rod, AGAIN! It felt good reeling in that fish as it took some time as it was big and heavy. Not a keeper, nor eatable as the river is not suitable (all the storm sewers drain into the river). Upstream and out of the city they are keepers and eatable.

I was going through a dry spell and felt less-then for not catching anything other then seaweed and leaves.....and "TP". I keep an eye out for where I see people fishing. I can get to anywhere along the banks, I'd argue its better to go ebike fishing then having a boat. I rarely see anybody else riding a bicycle and fishing.

I read a story on a online classifieds, Kijiji about a stolen bicycle. The guy had put his bike down and went along the banks, when he came back his bike was gone. I lock my bike up every time I stop and fish, it dont matter if I am 10' away or 100' away I always have my eyes on my bike and its locked up.

I fish the main river, the Bow River, the Elbow drains into Bow and is much smaller. There is a micro-organsim warning for the Elbow River from the Glenmore Resevoir to Downtown all well within the center of the city, no other information given. The warning happens every year.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/fast-cold-and-murky-boating-discouraged-on-bow-and-elbow-rivers-1.4965067
n addition to the boating advisory, a water quality advisory remains in place on the Elbow River from the Glenmore Reservoir to Fort Calgary as a result of water-borne microorganisms that carry the potential for disease.

The water treatment plant is a ways away, and miles down stream from the affected area. Parts of the elbow river were labelled toxic by Lindsey Park downtown in years past, yet people still bathe, swim and let their dogs and kids in those parts of the water.

Makes me wonder why thats happening, is someone dumping industrial/commercial chemicals into their storm sewer drains.

I never fish that Elbow River, I've never seen no fish in its shallow waters.

Hope you liked that chapter of my book, next chapter coming soon.

Yes, I am off to go fishing AGAIN! 17C with a bit of overcast, thats the way I like it, not too hot, not too cold, no rain, and sun.

Chow

markz said:
MarkZ
you mean you use 25Wh of energy from your battery per kilometer ??????? really??
how do you know it? , from CycleAnalist?
comparing with my Wh/km , yours is more than double of my usage.
on warm sunny summer days /20-22C/ , cruising around on pathways 25-35km/h I use 8-9Wh/km, tires pumped never more than 40PSI, me 67kg.,
on colder days max. 10Wh/km.

Back