Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Kotov.aleksander said:
SilverLine said:
Are you using this software : http://www.siaecosys.com/upfile/201910/2019102355072821.zip

Yes, this version, although I tried all possible
You sure? I'm asking cause I don't see this option after connecting to the controller: nope.jpg

Did you try to completely disable fw and see if it doesn't loose sync? Anyway, as SilverLine said, testing votol unloaded - not the best idea. Take it for a spin. From my experience with this controller, too much of fw, even loaded: problems.

BTW my defaults in calibration: 1124, 42, 0

Bartosh said:
You sure? I'm asking cause I don't see this option after connecting to the controller

I'm sure. This option opens when the motor calibration is activated. I can shoot a video how to activate this mode

Basically there’s only two settings that are important for the running of the motor when it actually turns:
The hall matching and hall phase angle shift.

Are halls color coded and matching in the connector?
What hall phase shift do you have set?
(Please post a picture of this setting screen.)

What did you change between the two videos?

It sounds as if you have a hall signal that is misfiring. You could look for a loose wire in the hall connectors and inside the motor on the hall pcb

Kotov.aleksander said:
Bartosh said:
You sure? I'm asking cause I don't see this option after connecting to the controller

I'm sure. This option opens when the motor calibration is activated. I can shoot a video how to activate this mode

Please do, thanks.

Fw off? Change all the fw corresponding values on page 2 to 0 (now you have 3k/6k there), disable fw compensation, also 0.

Btw I also had sync problems unloaded. 3k of fw loaded, no problems up to 6.5k rpm, maybe more, need to check my notes. Anyway, if your problem is top speed desync, take it for a ride, really.

larsb said:
Basically there’s only two settings that are important for the running of the motor when it actially turns:
The hall matching and hall phase angle shift.

Are halls color coded and matching in the connector?
What hall phase shift do you have set?
(Please post a picture of this setting screen.)

What did you change between the two videos?

It sounds as if you have a hall signal that is misfiring. You could look for a loose wire in the hall connectors and inside the motor on the hall pcb

halls color coded and matching in the connector
phase angle shift 60
in the hall connectors and inside the motor on the hall pcb - all ok

In the settings that the Chinese sent me, I changed the value of weak flux to 51 (from)38

Bartosh said:
Fw off? Change all the fw corresponding values on page 2 to 0 (now you have 3k/6k there), disable fw compensation, also 0.

I did this, the problem disappeared, but the maximum engine speed became 265

I understand that all this is due to lack of load, but I don’t understand why everything works fine for the Chinese on his video?)))
I have reconciled with this, I will test with the load, if you have the opportunity, answer the remaining questions in my first post

enable calibration mode:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vpu2GQC2MRI1MRLcOE2NZ40prWpYc-r5/view?usp=drivesdk

Bartosh said:

I did this, the problem disappeared, but the maximum engine speed became 265

I understand that all this is due to lack of load, but I don’t understand why everything works fine for the Chinese on his video?)))
I have reconciled with this, I will test with the load, if you have the opportunity, answer the remaining questions in my first post

enable calibration mode:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vpu2GQC2MRI1MRLcOE2NZ40prWpYc-r5/view?usp=drivesdk

Have you seen their u/i values on the screen? Seems bogus. It can be a different config.

Btw which mode are you using atm? Try the sport mode or mid/high if in L. Softstart off also advised.

265 rpm tops? This is weird. Isnt L speed limit set very low by any chance?

Maybe someone will be useful.
I found a file describing the procedure for calibrating the motor

Attachments

• 20200207.docx.docx
    624.4 KB · Views: 462
Kotov.aleksander said:
20200207.docx

Thanks for this doc, very much appreciated!

btw you can set each field of 3speed (page 2) to 100%, just in case.

Kotov.aleksander said:
enable calibration mode:

great "hack" indeed. now I know why I couldn't save my calibration settings and make it accept remote throttle.

Bartosh said:
Kotov.aleksander said:
20200207.docx

Thanks for this doc, very much appreciated!

btw you can set each field of 3speed (page 2) to 100%, just in case.
E0EC2606-9595-4B3C-9B5C-FF5EB2170A3C.jpeg
A079F5DA-3445-4C41-A4B8-3FF43925A6FE.jpeg

SilverLine said:
Is this only on the bench ?? Full throttle without load, is not very healthy for motor / controller, and could result in desync

for example I ride on a full throttle, hit a bump and unload the wheel, and lose control of the motor? How do I test this before?

Kotov.aleksander said:
SilverLine said:
Is this only on the bench ?? Full throttle without load, is not very healthy for motor / controller, and could result in desync

for example I ride on a full throttle, hit a bump and unload the wheel, and lose control of the motor? How do I test this before?
It's a valid question. I will follow the calibration procedure you sent... in a week or two, right now I have a different controller installed on the bike. If it's worth something, I have not experienced any desync events under load below 6500rpm / fw 3000 by far.

Regarding your question, I can't say why it behaves like that. Assuming you have kty83 inside, it's configured in the port settings, the sensor is connected, it should work. What bothers me is the 1st value (controller's temp) also reported as 100. What are the chinese saying? One key repair - haven't tried it, no mention in the manual. Some kind of factory reset? Anyone?

larsb said:
When i set tro to set mor than 9960 the value is not stored. I don’t think you can get higher.

Question is if it’s also relative to max battery current?

it’s about 500A peak phase amplitude? Then i guess it’s proportional to battery current since you’re over the nominal current at 300A battery.
Ohh... sorry. I thought you were asking about some weird votol's config internals pA:bA. What were you trying to say? Anyway you can get 500pA from 100bA, depends on kv, rpm, winding resistance etc. The way I measured it was during a "normal" ride, so ac rms. I can also get about 500A at stall and that would be dc, just need to find a proper phase. To make it clear, you can get 500 phase amps out of votol em-150sp. If more, not tested yet.

Btw I got it recently from votol, nothing more yet but still: "yes, It support fw fuction at low speed too".

Let me increase my post counter a lil (-; Regarding the powerloss events, I was finally able to gather some data so I sent it to votol. If anyone's interested: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/un2fow39i979zc1/AACo5kkvY-AMBXmLscpURjwWa?dl=0

1 attempt was close to overheating the controller. But I get similar results regardless, only long term Tcoeff seems to be the factor. Overspinning - I can't confirm.

Bartosh said:
Let me increase my post counter a lil (-; Regarding the powerloss events, I was finally able to gather some data so I sent it to votol. If anyone's interested: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/un2fow39i979zc1/AACo5kkvY-AMBXmLscpURjwWa?dl=0

1 attempt was close to overheating the controller. But I get similar results regardless, only long term Tcoeff seems to be the factor. Overspinning - I can't confirm.

keep us posted :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

Bartosh said:
larsb said:
When i set tro to set mor than 9960 the value is not stored. I don’t think you can get higher.

Question is if it’s also relative to max battery current?

it’s about 500A peak phase amplitude? Then i guess it’s proportional to battery current since you’re over the nominal current at 300A battery.
Ohh... sorry. I thought you were asking about some weird votol's config internals pA:bA. What were you trying to say? Anyway you can get 500pA from 100bA, depends on kv, rpm, winding resistance etc. The way I measured it was during a "normal" ride, so ac rms. I can also get about 500A at stall and that would be dc, just need to find a proper phase. To make it clear, you can get 500 phase amps out of votol em-150sp. If more, not tested yet.

Btw I got it recently from votol, nothing more yet but still: "yes, It support fw fuction at low speed too".

Yes, you can get 500A phase from 100A at low speed in some controllers. For the Votol I’ve guessed that since every controller is delivered with preset 9960 phase amp setting that output would be proportional to bus bar current setting, then it’s somehow logical.

It’s just an assumption. Have you seen same phase current output regardless of bus bar setting?

Yes, I believe I did, but don't take my word for it, too much different settings tested. 8k 400pA for sure (@300bA, last tests). I'd be surprised though, I mean if it was batt current dependent. Btw I've seen more than 10000/11000 in some em-200, can't recall where, silentenduro's screenshots maybe. I think qs configures it this (9960) way, because they sell it together with their mid drives. So who wants to measure and verify? 150 Sp should take more than 9999... (-; I have the nucular installed atm.

I might need to buy a new controller to be able to compare my settings to everyone else’s, seems my function is not comparable, i can’t go over 9960.

By the looks of it i’ll get a nuc when the votol eventually breaks

Hello folks.
Is your suggestion to get a Nucular 24F over a 150SP? Or is this really only for extreme use or pushing the motor more (QS mid drive)?
Interesting seeing also the Nucular coming in higher voltages soon, or unlocking 24F software to allow 100V.

Cheers
Tyler

Back