Need to source another full susp.

torker

100 kW
Some of you may know i have a Fsr w 9c hub. And a Rincon hardtail with a 9c.

I am started looking for another fs to put the electrics from the Rincon on. I have looked on pinkbike. Unfortunately still really low budget here.

I do not go fast. This rincon is totally stock at 36 v. This may be for my wife when we go camping.
I found a Genesis and this. 00J0J_7s6zvkVQRhn_600x450.jpg

I know it is not much. I think the rear suss is it the "good" design. Not sure. Just want to make sure i can uprade it. Like a better fork and shock..
I am between jobs since November when i broke my heel. Starting a new job tomorrow so the real search begins.
I respect the advice here. So go ahead and tell me if i should forget it and keep looking.

Thanks. Dave. Btw this is only 100 bucks

Yea.. Genesis is too although people use them. Do you think the Genesis is a notch better or not really.

A used brand name bicycle (Trek/Specialized/Kona/RockyMountain etc) is better then bso's from department stores.
But you gotta ride what you can afford or have already.

You can grab an old Trek that would work. They're everywhere!

I've used abandoned bicycles in the past.

I got my Rincon cheap. Just need another fs. I've had four back surgeries. Is the rear susp. Like i posted the right type?

why not a suspension seat post on a higher quality hard tail instead of bso fs.. suspension pivots, brakes, etc will be crap on a bso.. bso costs more to fix than replace..

A Thudbuster LT on Amazon is $126 before tax. The TB LT on the Rincon, using a 9C rear hub motor, probably will not have as good ride quality as the Hyper FS with the 9C rear hub motor. Reason is the unsprung weight of the Rincon will be more than that of the Hyper.

There will be no suspension pivot bushing problems on the Rincon, but the Hyper may last "long enough" and is worth something on resale, towards another FS bike.

Using the Hyper will give you valuable experience that you won't get with the Rincon and a suspension seatpost.

My ebike is a rigid Jamis Hudson with front DD hub motor and a suspension seatpost. Ride quality is far below my old Mongoose FS bike. The old Mongoose is from back in their bike shop days, before they became a Walid World brand. A joke, I love WM.

Your back is worth something, a lot actually.

The key thing you just said is " to go slow" The BSO bike can do that, its going fast where the cheap frame will wobble.

The suspension design is good, I made a similar bike, the old mongoose blackcomb ride a lot better with a rock shock air shock replacing the pogo stick back there. I did lots of hard dirt riding on that bike, but compared to my Trek, its still shit. You can just feel that wimpy frame.

Tough to improve the fork nowdays though, good DH forks no longer made in 1 1/8 straight steer tube.

Wasn't sure about the fork. So older are tapered and newer is 1-1/8. Straight?

older forks are straight steerer, newer are tapered.. some straight forks are still available: used, old stuff.. some budget forks like dnm are available with straight steerer, then you use a headset adapter for a tapered frame..

Awesome. Do you know what year they starting changing to tapered? Will i be able to tell the difference just seeing the bike?

Sorry for all the noobe ??

if you look closely at the bike frame headtube, you can tell if it's a tapered frame bc the headtube will be more cone shaped instead of a straight tube..

Trying to find picks of the difference.

I just started a new job after being off for 4 months. Broke my heel in three pieces 🤨

It will be a couple weeks or so before i can get something. Lots of research to do till then. I will probably hit up the mechanic that built the 24 inch front wheel on my Fsr and pick his brain. Maybe i can actually "see" the difference.

xEGpV.png

Better then a year of "researching"
Lots spend way more time before delving into building their own diy ebike.
As for choosing the bicycle, depends on personal prefference (damn hows that word spelled LOLOL)
preference
there

torker said:
It will be a couple weeks or so before i can get something. Lots of research to do till then.

Haha. Yep, been looking at bikes for awhile. Since i am old/slow it just needs to comfortable.
I know my wife wants a bigger ,better seat. I may look into a thudbuster also , they are pricey. If i can use it on another bike all the better.
Also came across this. Not sure i like the rear suss though. 00505_js26wtJCjE_600x450.jpg
I only gave like 200 for the Fsr. I would like to find an older "decent" bike. Lower budget is always a challenge. The patience to find something decent. 🤔

for a bso the single pivot genesis will have the advantage of less pivots to wear out or flex .. looking at the pics both bso look like very short travel suspension with no damping and a straight 1&1/8 steerer fork with a thread less headset..

I checked out bikesdirect before. Kinda liked the motebecane bikes.
Thanks guys. Good info . Gotta get up at 4:30 for the new job.🙄 latr

Not sure what type of riding you are talking about. For sure, the frame itself on a genesis, or cheap mongoose, will be a problem for riding faster than 30 mph. Maybe even for 25 mph.

The cheap forks are fine for street, or gravel paths or roads.

Where the fork becomes an issue is real singletrack riding. And that depends on what kind of track you have. Here in my area, you get the desert rock staircases. In those, I found the cheap frame was not much of a problem with new air shock replacing the cheap one. That's the rocker type, "4 bar" suspension design that allowed room for a better shock. But the forks sucked like hell. Back then, you could buy a cheap used DH grade fork like a high end rock shock or marzocchi in straight steer tube.

Today, those good DH shocks got wore out, they are mostly gone. Better straight steer shocks new are out there, but not good enough for a rock staircase ride daily.

So what I'm saying is,, for street, or easy roads, those BSO bikes can be ok as they are. Anything more, keep hunting for a better bike, who has a better fork and shock on it to begin with. Patience better than over using a shitty bike.

But it sounds like you just want something for easy riding. If so, still hold out for that 4 bar suspension. The second photo is only good for street. Though it looks different, your FSR has a version similar to 4 bar suspension. FSR rocker almost exactly what you see on a honda dirt bike rear shock. Huge difference in the suspension travel, and its feel, compared to the really cheap BSO types.

The question is,, will your wife ride hard trails? or just the road to the camp ground?

No hard trails for us. The trails and roads where we camp are on the edge of what is called the Flint Hills in Ks. There is alot of native stone. Large rocks in the road so you have to go slow and pick your way through or probably crash. Even when we tow in some places you have to straddle or drive to one side to keep from dragging/ damaging the trailer.
I have a popup with no sewer pipes. Most people don't take bigger campers where i go.
I like to get as far away from people so i can let my dogs run during the day.

My 2812 9c in 20" wheel is pretty good for this. If i do find another fs bike i may relace into another 20" i have from ypedal. Also my wife would like to have a lower stepover than the Rincon with 26 inch tires.

Back