Do I need and Ark?

Just_Ed

10 kW
My next project will be a boat

The water is already 5" up the gate, and it's supposed to rain for the next three hours.
DSCN4372.JPG
DSCN4373.JPG
DSCN4374.JPG

When people ram their vehicles through the water, the wakes go a foot and a half up the gate.
And a lot of it flies right over the top.
I made those gates about ten years ago, from the last time we had heavy rain...and got flooded.
The house was completely surrounded by water and up to the door sills.

So where did I put those life preservers?

DSCN4375.JPG

Here's hoping that your feet stay dry. Good luck!

Also hope that flood insurance is up to date, should the worst occur.

There is a guy in the UK who lives close to the thames river in a flood prone area, He had a complete new house built on a slab of concrete that floats on ground water inside a “containment tank “ such that the whole 2 story house rises and falls with the river level.
Maybe your next “project” Ed ?
It was features on TVs “Grand Designs” series.
If i were you, i would at least construct a large floatable platform in my garage to store “dry” items on....
... just incase ! :wink:
[youtube]16scx81p2w4[/youtube]

People that build in flood zones should not be insured and should never be bailed out financially. Makes fiscal sense.

Here is a flood map for the Calgary 2013 floods
https://thecityofcalgary.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=0cdbefb16bb34ad08b3acf2b37e6a8b0&home=true&zoom=true&scale=true&search=true&searchextent=false&legendlayers=true&basemap_gallery=true&disable_scroll=true&theme=dark
In the Inglewood area, I ride along the river east of downtown. Million dollar houses, many being renovated, in a flood zone.

markz said:
People that build in flood zones should not be insured and should never be bailed out financially. Makes fiscal sense.

I had a lengthy retort written to the expressed provocative opinion.
The thread was meant only as a friendly member interest story, not a political statement.

I believe in Freedom of Speech and served my country for two decades for that right.
Especially for those using that right, but are totally ignorant of the circumstances and effect of making such statements.

However, using your opinion of how others should live, you should relish this statement.

People who make judgemental statements, should not be assured, of using their freedom of speech,
and should never be allowed the opportunity for political correctness.

North Korea and Iran have similar views.
I've been there, lived it, and the experience wasn't pleasant.

HK12K said:
Here's hoping that your feet stay dry. Good luck!

Also hope that flood insurance is up to date, should the worst occur.

Thanks for the concern, but it's too late. I'm down two pairs of work shoes. The next trip out will have to be some old boots I haven't worn in years.
Flood insurance, yes. It's a bit of a sore subject for the last 25 years. I'm right on the edge of the flood plan map. The house behind me is not. Close but no brass ring.

But some people live in million-dollar homes, and don't worry about 'flood insurance'
I pay flood insurance, to have the opportunity to live in the home I love, in the town I like, and in a good neighborhood. I have reasoned it's my 'donation' to those that live in other areas affected by mother nature.

Hillhater said:
There is a guy in the UK who lives close to the thames river in a flood prone area, He had a complete new house built on a slab of concrete that floats on ground water inside a “containment tank “ such that the whole 2 story house rises and falls with the river level.
Maybe your next “project” Ed ?
It was features on TVs “Grand Designs” series.
If i were you, i would at least construct a large floatable platform in my garage to store “dry” items on....
... just incase ! :wink:
[youtube]16scx81p2w4[/youtube]

Thanks hillhater.

If i were you, i would at least construct a large floatable platform in my garage to store “dry” items on...
You mean a boat, right?

My house is already on a slab. Hmmmmm, how to make it float?
But I wonder how he manages all the mosquitos and the stagnant water.

markz said:
Why not let them be insured? Insurance companies are experts at 1) figuring out rates so they always make money and 2) once they issue the policy, doing things that reduce the odds of them having to pay out (like lobbying for new storm drains.) Makes even more fiscal sense.

National Flood Insurance. Your tax dollars at work. They've rattled their swords about doing away with it for decades. Nothing ever happens.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2017/10/05/466655.htm

Nice Mustang. Looks like mine. I guess you can tell me if it floats. I've got the same problem going here.

9b717d68ad78893a8c18a38c9755a0cb.jpg

hopefully you won't float away despite the slab. ;)

thankfully it's not quite that bad here, as our drainage is fairly good (if not super fast) after the floods in the mid-1980s "encouraged" the cities in the valley to fix that....

but when i saw the forecast earlier today for 1"-2" of rain tonight, i still went around and battened down the hatches, so to speak.

so far we haven't actually gotten quite that much, but there's been a bit more than half an inch so far, and it's still coming down.

If you are serious about a boat, I would recommend a flat-bottom "airboat" which typically uses a small car engine to drive an aircraft propellor.

As far as living in a flood-zone, insurance issues aside, a few of the home-owners in New Orleans rebuilt their 100-year-old rotten shack with a two-storey building. Wood remains the "affordable material of choice for framing, but...the entire lower storey was cinderblocks, and able to be flooded without damage.

The lowest portions of the city are also the poorest, and the low-income housing had previously been built with no on-property parking for cars. So the lower portion of the new home is a carport and storage. Of course, that also means the living spaces can only be accessed by stairs every time you enter or leave.

Just_Ed said:
Thanks for the concern, but it's too late. I'm down two pairs of work shoes. The next trip out will have to be some old boots I haven't worn in years.
Flood insurance, yes. It's a bit of a sore subject for the last 25 years. I'm right on the edge of the flood plan map. The house behind me is not. Close but no brass ring.

But some people live in million-dollar homes, and don't worry about 'flood insurance'
I pay flood insurance, to have the opportunity to live in the home I love, in the town I like, and in a good neighborhood. I have reasoned it's my 'donation' to those that live in other areas affected by mother nature.

Noooo, not the Florsheim's! Hope the old boots are comfy and at least somewhat water resistant.

In all seriousness though, how are you making out? Did the waters recede or is your place still at risk at the moment?

After your mention of previous flooding I suspected you would be wise enough to maintain the coverage, though I believe you when you say it's a sore spot. Insurance companies and sore spots are no strangers to one another.

You know, I'm not a religious man, but between the plague, flooding, and apparent locust invasion in Africa all simultaneously occurring...

Perhaps that Arc isn't such a terrible idea after all.

Thanks, everyone for your kind words.

Fortunately, after living here for over 25 years, I've learned a fair amount about mother nature.
During that time we've only had 3 occasions where there was a concern. But I learned quickly.

I've learned:

* that if the forecast is for .75" or more,... we're going to get flooded.
* if I don't get those flood gates closed, ...we're going to get flooded.
* without the flood gates, my neighbor on the left, ... is going to get flooded.
* that the flood insurance won't cover contents, ... if we get flooded.
* that after a heavy rain, the water will drain quickly, because of our sandy soil.
* I can't stop mother nature, but I can control her affect on my home.
* that because of preparation, this is more of an inconvenience than a tragedy.

* that if I keep saying all the things, "I've learned", about my home getting flooded,
I'll get depressed, and I just stopped taking my meds. :lol:

The great flood of 2010

My front yard
2010 flood 009.JPG
Street view right
2010 flood 010.JPG
Street view left
2010 flood 012.JPG
My front yard
2010 flood 013.JPG
The orange line is the high water line on the outside of my flood panels.
The reason we flooded, is because during the night the flood panel gave way, and all that water came into our yard.
2010 flood 014 flood water height.jpg
My first attempt at making flood control panels.
2010 flood 015.JPG

I've learned, and am much better prepared now.

Just_Ed said:

If that last pic of the street level water so much higher than the carport with no significant sandbags creating a reliable retaining wall, then no you're not well prepared at all. Hopefully that's just a 10 year old picture and you really are better prepared. Once the waters recede though, I'd strongly suggest finding a less floodprone place to live as the climate will only continue to change in the current direction.

John in CR said:
Just_Ed said:

If that last pic of the street level water so much higher than the carport with no significant sandbags creating a reliable retaining wall, then no you're not well prepared at all. Hopefully that's just a 10 year old picture and you really are better prepared. Once the waters recede though, I'd strongly suggest finding a less floodprone place to live as the climate will only continue to change in the current direction.

It is indeed a 10-year-old picture. And no I wasn't prepared.

The method I used then was meant as a quick emergency method.
Back then, I underestimated the amount of water that would be flowing and the force.
And yes I am now much better prepared.

This storm we received 2" in my immediate area.

The new flood gates are strong enough to hold up to the pounding created by the wakes. But they were made square, and the driveway slopes just enough to leave about a 1/2" gap on the left side. So there is a considerable force generated by those wakes, underneath at that point.

When I make the new metal gates, they will contour with the driveway and have retractable seals for the bottom as well.

As far as finding a new place to live. I have invested an awful lot of time, sweat and money, into MY PARADISE.
I won't be giving that up any time soon, because of what is more of a nuisance than a real problem.

Just where does one go that is 100% safe, and correct.
There are pitfalls no matter where we choose, or not choose to live.

There are those that are afraid of earthquakes, so they should all leave Calif, right?. I say I will take an earthquake any day to the potential dangers of hurricanes or tornadoes. I've lived through hurricanes. Give me a 20-second shaker anytime.

How about living where there is snow so deep you can't see the horizon. Not to mention freezing.
Or live where any minute your home could burn to the ground.
Living where there are constant dust storms so bad they are 500 feet high, miles wide, and so thick with dust and dirt, one can't breathe properly. Not mention zero visibility, for drivers.

To sum it all up. Some have choices, some do not.

I've made my choice and I'm living with it. Not fighting it.
Besides the value of my home has nearly doubled, so it makes fiscal sense, to stay where I am.

If you list now you can claim it as waterfront property and double that value once again! :wink:

Best wishes budz. :)

HK12K said:
If you list now you can claim it as waterfront property and double that value once again! :wink:

Best wishes budz. :)

Now there's good advice :lol:

AQUA BARRIER
https://www.hydrologicalsolutions.com/wipp-water-inflated-property-protector/
https://www.inflatabledam.com/
https://www.damitdams.com/

Cost calculator - https://www.hydrologicalsolutions.com/calculator/hydrological_cost_calculator.php

Quick Dam Water-Gate is a Portable Water Dam that rises with flow of water, 26in high x 30ft long, 1-Pack
https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Dam-Water-Gate-Portable-1-Pack/dp/B01INSADPM/ref=pd_sbs_60_3/143-0159869-8669658?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01INSADPM&pd_rd_r=553cac87-9e59-482e-aabd-fd118ab86c7e&pd_rd_w=hxDag&pd_rd_wg=sNK5v&pf_rd_p=7cd8f929-4345-4bf2-a554-7d7588b3dd5f&pf_rd_r=DEV6KY9CTWDFDWRGVNGT&psc=1&refRID=DEV6KY9CTWDFDWRGVNGT

If it flooded with just 2" of rain, what will you do when it really rains? The last house I had stateside we got over 10" of rain in a 4 hour period about 30 years ago. The only reason we had high water in the neighborhood was that it happened so fast that the guys couldn't get to the pumping station to turn on the pumps. About 6 hours later when they got there by boat, the water went down to almost nothing in a 2 hour period.

John in CR said:
If it flooded with just 2" of rain, what will you do when it really rains? The last house I had stateside we got over 10" of rain in a 4 hour period about 30 years ago. The only reason we had high water in the neighborhood was that it happened so fast that the guys couldn't get to the pumping station to turn on the pumps. About 6 hours later when they got there by boat, the water went down to almost nothing in a 2 hour period.

Just think, all of that could have been avoided with a bit of polystyrene a switch and a relay.

Damn, 2 inches in a day is a drizzle in Ks. I grew up in Wash. Our "hill" was about 400 ft above the valley. Sumner,Orting,Tacoma. No prob where we lived .
Where I live now south of Wichita, is on somewhat high ground between the Arkansas river and Walnut. Perfect. Of course we do have tornadoes, and now earthquakes. Fracking 🤔
A couple years ago we had bad grass fires. But the last 2 yrs. have been pretty green all summer.

But with our wind it can go from wet to dry in a few days.

So, I like the sun , low cost of living, and little traffic. But, PNW Wash. is beautiful. Hmm. 🙄👍

Haha. And I drive diesel trucks for a living. But I don't roll coal on purpose. 😏 Many around here do..
Ed, I hope you are getting by ok.

Maybe the folks in North Dakota are the luckiest, smartest of us all..

torker said:
Haha. And I drive diesel trucks for a living. But I don't roll coal on purpose. 😏 Many around here do..
Ed, I hope you are getting by ok.

Maybe the folks in North Dakota are the luckiest, smartest of us all..

Thanks torker, from one retired driver to another.

Some think what I'm going through is grim. Not really.

I'm better off than all those people that lost their homes due to fire, or the homes that were buried from mudslides, or total communities lost due to fire, or those recently losing their lives, homes, and businesses due to tornadoes. Or maybe living where the murder rate is the highest in the nation, not to mention burglaries, home invasions.... need I go on?

It is suggested I should move, or I shouldn't have bought a home in a flood zone. Maybe so.
It wasn't intentional. that I can tell you. Honest realtors? I had to inform the renters next door after they had already moved in, they were in a flood zone because they were not informed of this beforehand.
And to say they/we should have asked?
This is California. We have a history of drought, and I live in the high desert. We just came out of a 6-year drought. So bad there was mandatory water rationing. People here just don't think about floods in my area.

But in good humor, I say;
who lives where the current temperate is 18 degrees F and the average annual temperature ranges from 37° to F 43° F . Temperatures average from 2° F to 17° F with an average of fifty days below 0°.
And that comes from a former farm boy from Vermont.

Having said all that, I'm feeling very fortunate.

As far as my place.
I live at the bottom of a hill that's maybe 1/2 mile long, @ maybe 5% incline. I get all the runoff from the top of the hill. It flows down the street on our right, and dead-ends at the intersection. The flow then hangs a right for maybe 100-150 feet. The remaining water flows left on its way down the street in front of my place, on down to the flood channel. Without my flood gates...it flows in my yard and around my house.

If all I had to worry about was the downfall on my property, there wouldn't be an issue. So the amount of rain per hour, (though it's only 1-2 inches), is exacerbated by all the accumulation of water from up the hill. I even had a small flood into my yard from a broken water main, in another area up the hill.

I've learned to live with it and manage it.

Back