The Frey HT1000 - And yes, HT stands for Hardtail! *updated*

My bike still in Poland customs since 23 December, I still waiting for them to release it :cry: :cry: :cry:

Guel135 did you receive your toy HT1000 ? is it fun and faast ? :D

edit 11 january : thanks for your previous answer by mail i've just saw it
it's coming soon :bigthumb:

guel135 said:
My bike still in Poland customs since 23 December, I still waiting for them to release it :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ugh. I hope it clears customs and is delivered soon. My HT1000 wont arrive until mid-April. I might buy a Rad Rover to ride around while I am waiting. :lol:

guel135 said:

Same story here, AM1000 is there since 23/12.
Hope to get the bike soon...

Tjeska said:
guel135 said:

Same story here, AM1000 is there since 23/12.
Hope to get the bike soon...

Probably they are together in the same container. I asked Grace today and nothing in the tracking yet. She will ping the shipping agent again. I am sure that the bike will come to Germany when the temperature start to be below zero :confused:

guel135 said:
I am sure that the bike will come to Germany when the temperature start to be below zero :confused:

My thoughts exactly :roll:

All we can do is wait and hope for the best...

Hey guys, I thought you might like to see what I did with an HT1000 frame:

Principal specs:

—Bafang Ultra motor
—52V 17.5aH Battery
—Egg Rider V2 Display

—Rohloff 14-speed Internally Geared Hub
—Lauf Grit Carbon Fiber Fork

—Custom CNC-machined Chainring Spider
—Cirrus Kinekt Suspension Seatpost
—Brooks B17 Saddle

It was a fun build with some unique challenges. On the road now for only a few days, but I must say, so far it rides like a dream!

—pete

Attachments

• Ultra Build.jpeg
    Ultra Build.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 2,915
pj1 said:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That's an amazing build! What do you think of the Eggrider? And the Rohloff/Ultra combo?

Can't wait to hear how it is with more saddle time!

Thanks entropic! The Rohloff is brilliant. I’ve used one on another ebike for years with no problems. You get that perfect chainline in all gears. I’m using a 48t chain wheel up front, thanks to advice from this thread, so the highest gear is very effective at high speeds—no ineffectual spinning. Downside of course is that it’s expensive. I’ve also used a comparatively cheap 3 speed sturmey archer IGH on another bike and found that 3 gears is fine on an ebike—5 speeds would be perfect!

The EggRider is very well designed, and it’s easy to program the motor using an iPhone or Android...no more monkeying around with a computer, com ports etc. it’s excellent. My only complaint is that the nice oled screen is invisible in bright sunlight with sunglasses on—polarized lenses I guess.

Overall the best ebike I’ve ever had and I’ve built a lot of them!

pete

Just wondering how noisy the Rohloff is? I'm assuming it's the only feasible IGH to pair with the Ultra. I noticed Luna paired the 5 Speed Sturmey with M600 on their BABE but isn't offering the Ludi option. Guessing they figured the Ludi would be too much power.

Generally the Rohloff is quiet, although there is some mechanical noise in the lower gears. Most often the motor is louder than the Rohloff.

The 3 speed sturmey I use on another bike with a bbshd I’m pretty careful with, as there is occasionally some skipping and it feels like it might be easy to damage the gears. In contrast, the Rohloff is solid as a rock. One of its advantages, especially for ebikes, is that it uses sacrificial nylon shear components which will fail under undue stress thus saving the main metal gears from harm.

pj1 said:
—pete

Super cool bike. I wonder how much you paid for the Rohloff and if it is worth it. I really like the idea of a more gravel bike than mtb for this bike and I checked the prize of the fork you put and it is out I want to spend on this bike but I would probably look later for a rigid carbon fork to make it, even more, commuting machine. What type of tube has the fork?

Mine is still not here and it is somewhere out the Poland Customs waiting for been in the UPS deliver to ride to Germany... I hope I can get it in the weekend!

The Rohloff is about $2000, which includes building the wheel and fitting to the frame, so it's certainly very expensive. This bike is now my primary transportation so that's how I justify the cost. I would have been happy with a 5 speed or even 3 speed IGH, but as far as I know there are no such hubs compatible with through axle frames like the HT.

Also, re the earlier question about the Eggrider, I mentioned that it is hard or even impossible to read in bright sun and sunglasses, but if you have an iPhone or Android, you can use that as the display, which works very well.

Update after owning for 4 months
My tamed black stallion :lol:

I've already got a Stone 52T chain ring waiting to be installed. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32976074805.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.32854c4dPu2yMo

Out with the little one, she loves it!
Child seat: Urban Iki Rear Child Seat Black/Brown, quick release makes it so easy to pull off when I got to work.
https://www.urbaniki.com/en/product/urban-iki-rear-seat/
WGunkX1.jpg

lrsKDZ5.jpg

Bicycle Bell Electric Ring Remote Bike Horn Alarm https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32858838225.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.32854c4dPu2yMo
lcHwxIY.jpg

Mirror is a lifesaver! Highly recommend for commuters! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33021440876.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.32854c4dPu2yMo
sYrcbcf.jpg

Phone holder https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32983418433.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.32854c4dPu2yMo
O0pv0cc.jpg

Plastic wrapped my display as I have heard people say its not water proof
tcVZE7b.jpg

Cassette wear after 700km, 90% commuter, very hilly terrain.
Zy6sQlH.jpg

I had trouble with the brake light rubbing on the rear wheel so I bent the metal up :p
G0z64rB.jpg

Seat from my old bike, and trusty kryptonite evolution series 4
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/000808.html
VOOgGH1.jpg

First of all thanks @pj1 and @shap08 to reply my questions. It is helpful to have some real non paid review information about the bike and possible upgrades.

I have some questions to shap08:
- What controllers do you have in the handlebar? You have more buttons than a plane :)
- Do you have an extra light apart of the stock one?
- I thought the maximum chainring is 48t. Are planning any hack to put the 52t?

My bike still somewhere in Poland and another 2 frey users that got their bikes sent at the same time their AM1000 were sent to each other. The Belgium guy receive the bike from the Netherlands and the Netherlands the other way around. Likely the live no so far and they are exchanging each driving by car... :lol: :lol: :lol:

guel135 said:
Likely the live no so far and they are exchanging each driving by car... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, Monday we will exchange our bikes 😁

Hope you get yours soon!

I already got the bike. Felt fast and amazing but it is heavy raining this weekends. I hope I can do my commute test next week. :)

Worst thing... My bike storage is in the basement where I though on putting my bike with very narrow stairs. This was not a problem with my 10kg mtb and with mine 7kgs roadbike. But this bike is really heavy even I dismount the battery every time I am going down.

you could make a pulley lift along the cieling of the stairway, so you can haul it up (and down). a simple single-loop pulley may not give you the strength to do it; the more pulleys the cable loops around, the more it multiplies the torque (and lowers the speed), just like gearing.

you could also mount a motorized rail either on the cieling or wall along the stairway, and let hte motor do the work.

or you could "ramp-ize" the part of the steps the tires would ride on, and setup a "stair walk" function on the bike's throttle or controller, so it will give you just enough power to negate the bike's mass to help you get it up the stairs. (won't help getting it down....)

amberwolf said:
you could make a pulley lift along the cieling of the stairway, so you can haul it up (and down). a simple single-loop pulley may not give you the strength to do it; the more pulleys the cable loops around, the more it multiplies the torque (and lowers the speed), just like gearing.

you could also mount a motorized rail either on the cieling or wall along the stairway, and let hte motor do the work.

or you could "ramp-ize" the part of the steps the tires would ride on, and setup a "stair walk" function on the bike's throttle or controller, so it will give you just enough power to negate the bike's mass to help you get it up the stairs. (won't help getting it down....)
Thanks !
There are nice ideas, but the problem is the stairs are quite narrow and curved. The rail option it is probably not possible but I will take a close check on that. But I will manage to do it I am 95kg and strong but the curve in the middle is making everything more complex. It will be a straight stair will be easy peasy... (The bike already has the walking button). I will probably against my will put under a close common garage (close by the door but without lock) in front of my house and convince my landlord to allow me to do a hole in the floor to put a ring where to lock my bike with a kryptonite lock.

Hi Shap08,

Based on other threads, I thought the largest chainring that would fit was 48T. Were you able to get the 52T on?

shap08 said:
Update after owning for 4 months
My tamed black stallion :lol:

I've already got a Stone 52T chain ring waiting to be installed. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32976074805.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.32854c4dPu2yMo

Out with the little one, she loves it!
Child seat: Urban Iki Rear Child Seat Black/Brown, quick release makes it so easy to pull off when I got to work.
https://www.urbaniki.com/en/product/urban-iki-rear-seat/
WGunkX1.jpg

lrsKDZ5.jpg

Bicycle Bell Electric Ring Remote Bike Horn Alarm https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32858838225.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.32854c4dPu2yMo
lcHwxIY.jpg

Mirror is a lifesaver! Highly recommend for commuters! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33021440876.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.32854c4dPu2yMo
sYrcbcf.jpg

Phone holder https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32983418433.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.32854c4dPu2yMo
O0pv0cc.jpg

Plastic wrapped my display as I have heard people say its not water proof
tcVZE7b.jpg

Cassette wear after 700km, 90% commuter, very hilly terrain.
Zy6sQlH.jpg

I had trouble with the brake light rubbing on the rear wheel so I bent the metal up :p
G0z64rB.jpg

Seat from my old bike, and trusty kryptonite evolution series 4
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/000808.html
VOOgGH1.jpg

guel135 said:
I already got the bike. Felt fast and amazing but it is heavy raining this weekends. I hope I can do my commute test next week. :)

Worst thing... My bike storage is in the basement where I though on putting my bike with very narrow stairs. This was not a problem with my 10kg mtb and with mine 7kgs roadbike. But this bike is really heavy even I dismount the battery every time I am going down.

Hi guel135 - How is it going with your new bike? I hope to receive mine around the beginning of May. I exchanged a couple of messages with Grace, she told me they just started production on my order. I cant wait... I want to be out riding this thing!

Does someone have any information on the GTMRK front suspension that comes with the base HT1000? For road use, is it reliable and durable? I couldn't find any information on it. The Rockshox Recon RL upgrade seems overkill for road use or is it worth the $115 upgrade cost? Any thoughts?

byunbee said:
Does someone have any information on the GTMRK front suspension that comes with the base HT1000? For road use, is it reliable and durable? I couldn't find any information on it. The Rockshox Recon RL upgrade seems overkill for road use or is it worth the $115 upgrade cost? Any thoughts?

I took the recon upgrade only because it allows me to ride with 200mm front disc brakes. I really love the Magura brakes

Hi guel135 - How is it going with your new bike? I hope to receive mine around the beginning of May. I exchanged a couple of messages with Grace, she told me they just started production on my order. I can't wait... I want to be out riding this thing!
[/quote]
My bike is just awesome but I only bike once to work with around 2 degrees and through the wet tarmac/path in the forest. But I was not riding due this cold and weather and now when I would really love to go bike to work... Coronavirus!!

Overall I did 52 kilometres and I was nearly killing the battery to 5% but I was really pushing in the ride. I need to say that cold conditions are not good for the battery and I hope with better weather and be a little more fit I can be faster.
I also arrange with my landlord to allow to park my bike in a closed garage where I will use a ground anchor to put fix it to the ground.
I can do it better for sure, with the road bike I already did 2:05... only 20min more. I will let you know when I left my working remotely (that I really like it)
Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 18.25.44.png

Riding not nearly enough as it is very hot in Thailand at the moment, the location is in the rice fields near our home in Chiang Rai, the golden triangle, Thailand......
94625686-4018135581559754-4155863480060084224-o.jpg

I had trouble with mud and water coming up from the front wheel. Just upgraded my fenders.

ClR1RLm.jpg

vdbcVV6.jpg

Yiz9BuO.jpg

Back