New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Hasse67 said:
It's a mountain bike and I'm lightweight, about cadence at highest gear I don't know,
Is it so, that the motor stops providing power at a certain cadence?
On 26" wheels, with default 42 front and 11 rear it should do about 40km/h but you need to add some good old muscle power to reach it.

skestans said:
bergerandfries said:
I am running stock 52v firmware on the motor and euronau firmware on the 850c, and it also does the same. I usually turn off things by flipping off the switch on my battery, but I will start using the actual power off button on the 850c first and see if that resolves the issue

I always switch off with the display button first (this also ensures the odometer is saved if I’m not mistaken) and then switch the battery off if not at home. The clock still shows the wrong time more often than not.

My clock is also completely off every morning, and I turn off using the power button.

ancan said:
My clock is also completely off every morning, and I turn off using the power button.
So, fails less than 24h? Does it fails like after 1 or 2h? - please test and report.

I'm a bit disappointed with the power output consistency since I upgraded from the KT-LCD3 to the 850C, and the later firmwares, and wonder what your experience is.

With the older stuff I felt there was a pretty consistent power output as the battery discharged, and I could keep the same assist level all the way. Now with the 850C and as of now 0.6.5 firmware, the motor gets weaker and weaker the more the voltage drops. On the start of the ride with ~52V i zip way on assist level 1, but at 46V it kind of feels sluggish even on higher assist levels.

Hasse67 said:
Hey all,
I'm new here and just a few days ago installed a tsdz2 750w and a 48v battery.
It works pretty well, but in terms of speed I'm a little disappointed, with speed limit setting 25 kph OFF, I reach 30-33 kph on flat ground, I thought top speed would be higher.
Is this all right, Is 30-33 kph as expected?

I think it's very variable. I have 42mm wide tires (hybrid/road, not knobby) and when I set motor assist to 50 km/h, I was able to hit 45-50 km/h on a long enough flat stretch of road (without any wind.) Total bike + rider weight is around 105 kg.

My cruise speeds were 35-40 km/h but I found this too fast to be safe (drivers don't expect a bicycle to be going that fast, and you have less time to react) so I put it back to cut assist off at 25 km/h and now cruise at 25-30.

I searched around, but i can't find much about play in the axle. It started today, it's about 1-2mm of play. What is the cause? What do i have to replace?

I just finished the install of my TSDZ2 on my Ice Trike. I still need to configure it a little but all of it is now working.
I have the temp sensor installed and working but I have no idea what I should watch for as an upper temp limit.
What is the max temp I should watch for and be safe?

15A should be a hard limit, per spinningmagnets article above, 18A risks melting stuff

> 140F (60C) is near ideal when under load. Getting close to 200F (93C) means that you may have de-magnetized the permanent magnets, or caused some other damage.

Had my maiden voyage today, first time riding more than a few meters in the driveway. All went fine, but after around 20min a strange sound started inside the motor. The sound is NOT there when you pedal, so it's not something from the drivetrain, but clearly inside the motor.

Please see this video, which is just for demonstration, so no nice intro, no video effects, no editing, just pure strange sound while riding, and a wobbly picture. 8)

[youtube]9lwrRHweMp4[/youtube]

izeman said:
Had my maiden voyage today, first time riding more than a few meters in the driveway. All went fine, but after around 20min a strange sound started inside the motor.
I am almost sure it is the blue gear and that probably was your fault because you may not have the brake sensors installed or something blocked like jammed chain.

izeman said:
Had my maiden voyage today, first time riding more than a few meters in the driveway. All went fine, but after around 20min a strange sound started inside the motor.

When I had a similar sound it was grit in the teeth of the main drive cog (the one with the sprag clutch bearing in it).
To check, remove the chainring and then the main drive cover (very easy) and see if you can see anything, it might be quite difficult to see foreign matter though as it should be covered in grease, turning the cranks by hand enabled me to hear at which point the sound occurred so I could clean the teeth of the big drive gear at that point.

Hope it is something as simple as this.

casainho said:
izeman said:
I am almost sure it is the blue gear and that probably was your fault because you may not have the brake sensors installed or something blocked like jammed chain.
How do you know it's my fault? And NO. I got brake sensors, and no jammed chain at all. All running fine.

devboy-greg said:
izeman said:

When I had a similar sound it was grit in the teeth of the main drive cog (the one with the sprag clutch bearing in it).
To check, remove the chainring and then the main drive cover (very easy) and see if you can see anything, it might be quite difficult to see foreign matter though as it should be covered in grease, turning the cranks by hand enabled me to hear at which point the sound occurred so I could clean the teeth of the big drive gear at that point.

Hope it is something as simple as this.
Thanks. I will need to take it apart. Strange that this happened so quickly. In my opinion there must have been something bad from the beginning. If it was grit, shouldn't the sound be there from the beginning?
I hope it's not the main clutch/sprawl assembly. I'll check tomorrow and we'll see.

izeman said:
How do you know it's my fault? And NO. I got brake sensors, and no jammed chain at all. All running fine.
Well, if is the blue gear damage teeth, then probably you did / happened something wrong with the mechanical part of your bicycle. Check the wiki FAQ.

I am being damaging the blue gear while doing development and I know that noise... Still can be something else.

casainho said:
izeman said:
Well, if is the blue gear damage teeth, then probably you did / happened something wrong with the mechanical part of your bicycle. Check the wiki FAQ.
Even if it's the blue gear, and i don't doubt it. You react like you SOLD the device and I asked for warranty. If something fails within the first minutes of use (NOT abuse) you normally would think it most probably came dead on arrival. If I now install my spare gear and the same thing happens a few minutes later, what's then? ....

Stripping the gear would require abuse by definition.

What's the max phase amps used?

Unless they had a bad batch of Delrin or something.

john61ct said:
Stripping the gear would require abuse by definition.
What's the max phase amps used?
Unless they had a bad batch of Delrin or something.
It's set to 16A battery @14s. Brake sensor & temp sensor installed, and never got over 80, but problem began at 50C already, so it shouldn't be a heat issue.
The whole assembly is quite strange. The big sprocket has some play, and the axle can be wiggled around as well. That's not looking of for me... I tried to make a video, but it's really hard to see on video.
Have to do some work still, but tomorrow I can open the motor and have a look inside.

izeman said:
casainho said:
izeman said:
Even if it's the blue gear, and i don't doubt it. You react like you SOLD the device and I asked for warranty. If something fails within the first minutes of use (NOT abuse) you normally would think it most probably came dead on arrival. If I now install my spare gear and the same thing happens a few minutes later, what's then? ....
Well, the same happened to me when I bought my very first TSDZ2, after 20kms the blue gear did fail and because I did not installed the brake sensors and I did brake a few times with motor at max power. Now I know It was my fault. I assumed you did the same. That is why on the wiki is recommended to install the brake sensors.

Also, you are using the OpenSource firmware so there should be no warranty anymore.

Also, are you sure the 14 Amps second increase ramp is a safe value? Did you tested it for how long?

casainho said:
Also, you are using the OpenSource firmware so there should be no warranty anymore.
Also, are you sure the 14 Amps second increase ramp is a safe value? Did you tested it for how long?
I wouldn't have expected and warranty at all. Sending the motor to some other country, and waiting several weeks to month to MAYBE receive it back as repaired? No. I know the risk buying in China and do the repair myself. No problem.
What do you mean by "14A second increase ramp"? I was not aware that I changed anything from default but voltage, wheel size and such.
Btw: I remember reading about chain ring and axle wobble issues. Did someone else have this problem, and a solution for it? I can't imagine that an unstable axle can work for long.

Consider replacing the plastic with the brass gear, apparently not too noisy.

And personally, I'd stick to a 13A ceiling, even 12A better.

Or go to BBS02 (better than BBSHD?)

john61ct said:
Consider replacing the plastic with the brass gear, apparently not too noisy.
And personally, I'd stick to a 13A ceiling, even 12A better.
Or go to BBS02 (better than BBSHD?)
I don't mind replacing the blue gear. There needs to be a "weakest link" that's easy replaceable. I just wouldn't have expected this to happen within 10km.
Where do you set that ceiling? I will change it if it's advised.
Bafang is no option. I know it and installed several times, but this time I wanted to build a pedelec with a torque sensor and not a moped.

casainho said:
izeman said:
casainho said:
izeman said:
Well, the same happened to me when I bought my very first TSDZ2, after 20kms the blue gear did fail and because I did not installed the brake sensors and I did brake a few times with motor at max power. Now I know It was my fault. I assumed you did the same. That is why on the wiki is recommended to install the brake sensors.

Casainho, Do you have brake sensors instaled?

Back