Electric Surf Board

Hi All

I'm looking for a 100mm or so Jetpump to build my DIY jetboard

Below is Motor, ESC, Battery setup I'm planning to use what do you think I should use for the jet pump?

Proposed Materials

Batteries 15 (Maybe 16s) x 60ah 3.2v Lipo4 cells 3.3KW - $980 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000067590008.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.e5a72e0eewN5LL

Waterproof ESC Seal 300A 60V ESC Motor controller - $376
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000092267907.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.8.628f2a06jcyBBa

Water Cooling Motor 9097 150KV 18KW 24HP - $914
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000073116388.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.32.2db788edAolPzs

Epic project!

You are literally "Living my Dream" right now. Thanks for posting pics. . . that is about what I pictured... but you got a lot farther into the project over the years.

... I can tell that I am going to need some support that exceeds my current fab skills/resources.

- It has got to be light
- It has got to be quiet
- It cant eat my knees :mrgreen:

I will post later when I get the trolling lower end zip-tied to the old Boogie Board. One thing I have found is:

The small props scream like hell to get the thrust I need. . . so I am going "Big Prop"

-methods

Hardcore video.
Lots of hints in there.

I am still visiting the "Marine Flea-market" down at the harbor waiting to find a set of pull-down thrusters. It is looking like anything that comes off of a power boat (that actually puts out some useful thrust) is very heavy and industrial. Makes sense - as in the power boating around here (fishing, crabbing) weight seems to be of little concern. It seems that the pull-down gear is focused on low cost and reliability, so large castings and standard windings.

The... sailing gear... is actually the polar opposite. Carbon fiber toilet seats and all that "save a gram" stuff going on.

I imagine...
That some rich guy...
No doubt bought a $7500 piece of gear at some point for his $300k race boat...

...And it is only a matter of time until I can pick it up used gem for a few hundred bucks....

Large racing sail boats - I have seen them park... some of them no doubt have thrusters...

-methods

look at that giant external caps bank on the mgm esc.
when my caps kept blowing, mgm were telling me "its your batteries, its your motor, its everything except the ESC", and charging me stupid amounts of money to repair and replace.
turns out lampuga also had problems with the caps exploding. hence the external caps bank

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 3,302
Hi Chris

Has always been the battery, the length of the cables,...
At the moment I have to additional banks and it is working.

By the way, I have bought a Jetsurf ;)

Cheers Fabian

fabianpusch said:
Hi Chris

Has always been the battery, the length of the cables,...
At the moment I have to additional banks and it is working.

By the way, I have bought a Jetsurf ;)

Cheers Fabian

awesome. which model did you get? new or second hand? how is it to ride?

Hi Chris
Second hand, a 2016 race.
Waiting for some nice weather to ride it.
Actually I have sent the board to Jetsurf, so they can do a big check up

Cool video 😃 really nice and your location too.
Actually I am building up a lot of things for the Jetsurf...new plates for a binding, a hydraulic throttle....

fabianpusch said:
Cool video 😃 really nice and your location too.
Actually I am building up a lot of things for the Jetsurf...new plates for a binding, a hydraulic throttle....

hydraulic throttle, sounds cool, what components are you using? might have to add that

https://www.fechtner-modellbau.de/fahrzeug-komponenten/hydraulik/edelstahl-zylinder/12mm-kolben/?p=1

Something like that. Actually I am doing a little experiments with the actuator from Magura. They have a acutator for the hydraulic clutch...

I'm going to 3d print a jet drive and do a few experiments. Was wondering what is the best way to seal the driveshaft from water? diagrams would be really appreciated or even a video.

Hi
Nice build of the battery.
I think you are right, if they are dropping by 2V, with a load of just 20-30A, they are not really suitable for a higher load like 150A it more. What are the specs from the manufacturer?
Bye Fabian

great thread!

my v1 jetboard:
12s8p 30qs, jet, cheap wireless remote
jet_back.jpg

from stopped -> full throttle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ5gYM8DR48

problems:
1) 2.4ghz does not penetrate water, when water gets on deck remote cuts out
2) weight, the thing is just too heavy
3) water getting into battery (yikes)
4) surfing: it's super fun to use motor to get past incoming waves, to chase waves, and to just go full throttle while on a wave BUT with a board this big and heavy you won't be slapping the lip. also with no center fin it's sloppy on steeper faces. hard to turn.
5) i wanted it as a wave assist board but its so damn fun to have the motor on I end up not paddling at all :p

v2 plans:

1) lipo
2) anti-spark piezo switch (ip68/waterproof)
3) battery gauge glassed onto deck
4) folding prop instead of jet (i know i know)
5) bluetooth esc
6) usb-c pd charge port (surface mount / ip68 / waterproof)
7) stretch goal: custom finger tap remote using heltec wifi LoRa's

real world use cases:
1) for beginners. put a motor on a wavestorm and give the instructor the remote. kook gets boosted into wave and then back to break driven by instructor
2) geezers on logs: the 9 ft longboard with a jet is unreal. the surfers all hate me about as much as they hate efoils. if you're old and have a tough time paddling out / into waves. this is for you.
3) the sweetspot: i'd say the best shape we are going to be able to pull off for wave face carving/turns with current battery and motor tech is about a 6'11. on mushier waves (like wilderness in puerto rico) you will be able to boost past longboarders and still carve on the face.

Hello everyone,

been following this thread for awhile and started building/prototyping a jetboard.

Using a TP100 350kv motor
300 amp maytech esc
80mm 3d printed jet

I have proceeded to test the thrust and amps. Getting 78-80 lbs at 10,000 rpm using 8s and 180 amps.

Is this enough power for a fun speed/getting on the plane?

I am selling my project electric surfboard that comes with the motor, controller, and MHZ 64 jet pump. I made the board myself as designed for a heavyweight rider. Anyone in the U.S. is interested and looking to save a lot of time and money this is the board for you. Also, I cannot ship outside the U.S. because the shipping rate is over $2000.

Would you be able to post any pics and such? Also, what motor/controller do you have? Are you looking to part anything out (such as the pump) or only sell it all as one whole?

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Hi,
if someone is interested, I am selling my 53mm Jet drives that I bought from Youngster jets. Awesome jets with lots of power.
By any interest, PM me :)

Back